1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/upcoming-changes.849375/
    Dismiss Notice

Florida Mother Charged With The Murder Of Her Autistic Son

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Leeda.the.Paladin, May 24, 2020.

1. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    :lachen: But not having stable families and friends is dysfunctional!

2. dancinstallion

dancinstallion Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Laugh all you want. I know many people and introverts that prefer to be by themselves. some people dont have family and friends to depend on and I refuse to call them dysfunctional because that is out of their control. You cant make new non toxic family members and it is hard making new friends for some people. I know PLENTY of adults that say it is hard making friends as an adult. It is called life for those people. Some people want different family member and to make new friends but cant.
    I refuse to laugh about it or call it dysfunctional but I am glad you are able to.

kblc06, thickness, AVNchick and 5 others like this.
  3. metro_qt

metro_qt Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    THIS is very true

Transformer and Peppermynt like this.
  4. Jmartjrmd

Jmartjrmd Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I can really relate to this
    I spent most of my time with my husband and was fine with that but now that he's passed away the lonley hit like a line of 18 wheelers running me over.
    Most of our friends are scattered across the US and it's very easy when you life is so busy already to maintain distant friendships especially if you weren't that close to begin with. I get it.
    My social group here Li feel like had a more vested interest in my husband. I feel like I'm likeable but maybe not as much as I thought to our core group of friends. I tell you it does a number on your mental health.
    It is very hard at my age to make new friends. My best friend is gone forever.

5. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I was laughing at the idea that it is not dysfunctional. Whether or not someone or something is dysfunctional has nothing to do with how much control you have over it.

dysfunctional -
    1. not operating normally or properly.
      "the telephones are dysfunctional"
      • deviating from the norms of social behavior in a way regarded as bad.
        "an emotionally dysfunctional businessman"

We started this conversation talking about children. Children should have friends and playmates. That is normal. Again if children don't notice or care about not being able to play with other children then something dysfunctional is going on. A lot of parents use not being able to go out and play with friends as a punishment for bad behavior. If a child's normal life looks punishment for most kids then what would you call that. :look:

It seems that we agree that the situation is less than ideal but you don't like the word that I chose?

kimpaur and naturalgyrl5199 like this.
  6. naturalgyrl5199

naturalgyrl5199 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Its been pandemonium in the moms groups. I was able to send my kids to school. I totally get it. But I like them coming home earlier and they get to sleep in as well. So for my babies, its nice. More work on me, but our family just moves differently now.

Evolving78 and Lylddlebit like this.
  7. naturalgyrl5199

Blog Posts:
    And the kids subject to abuse (edited to add: and hunger. Being in school was their 6 hours of peace, ability to be a kid, and to get a semi-nutritious meal, or A MEAL).
    I work in the community and resources are stretched. The people who work those emergency phone lines are shell shocked at the spike in child and domestic violence calls since COVID-19.

8. naturalgyrl5199

Blog Posts:
    No you're right. Like it was said up thread, most of us are off our usual square, adjusting, and moving differently. But no, MANY MANY parents (and I work with parents of pre-school aged kids, and babies), DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and AINT HAVE NO BUSINESS PROCREATING or MAKING MORE THAN THE 1.
    Its really a whole nother thread. Remember, parents of today different than when our parents were having kids in the 70's, 80's, 90's.....I run into parents of all backgrounds, ages who are addicted to the internet, and zone out from their kids, play videogames 1/2 the day, they have little to NO cooking skills, are not active themselves, and are juggling their own learning or social disability (but they slid by enough to finish HS, even college--I taught a few autistic college students) and are functioning in society based on the routines they know and have established. Many were one disaster away from the bottom dropping out. Now there is COVID-19 and this economic recession. I joke about being first in line when school opens but I really am considering a partial schedule if offered.

lavaflow99, thickness, Kanky and 4 others like this.
  9. naturalgyrl5199

Blog Posts:
    A lot of the parents here have a cetain political sway and they are threatening to disenroll all their children from public school if they are only offering a remote or virtual option. Many are super tired and think that the rest of us are overreacting. They also say if school opens up they're not sending them to school with "masks that will kill their kid" bc they wont be able to breathe. I live in Florida too....so...there is that. But these moms are reporting to be tired. Some are being exposed as well, and I'm hoping that's few and far between. But many parents have kids on varying places on the spectrum, or have 1 or more impediments and long term school closures is not even a realistic, healthy or viable option for these kids. Many parents in rural areas are at, just above, or below poverty level so their ability to work is severely compromised. Thus their ability to feed, care, and clothe their families.

winterinatl likes this.
  10. Lylddlebit

Lylddlebit Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    :bighug:My heart really goes out to you. Your real life example really adds perspective.

naturalgyrl5199 and Jmartjrmd like this.
  11. Jmartjrmd

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I am seeing a nice guy it just feels unnatural being that I was with the same man for so long and it's only been 1 year and 9 months since my husband passed. It's weird but unless I try I will live a miserable existence and I don't want that.
    It's hard to go from having someone all the time to having nothing in the blink of an eye. Especially since you didn't stop loving that person. Trying to get in a new relationship is so hard.

12. Peppermynt

Peppermynt Defying Gravity

Blog Posts:
    @Jmartjrmd

I sent you a private message via Conversations ... not sure if that's the right way to send a PM lol, but wanted to let you know.

naturalgyrl5199 and Jmartjrmd like this.
  13. Jmartjrmd

Blog Posts:
    Got it.

naturalgyrl5199 and Peppermynt like this.
  14. Avyn

Avyn Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I've been working with my families/students with autism over COVID and since summer break started and they are TIRED. They really struggle with caring for their children. They don't have a clue about how to care for and manage their disabilities, let alone teach them. I can't say this mom should get a break but I've seen desperation in these parents' eyes and it has scared me a little. Since COVID started one of my littles has destroyed a significant amount of furniture in his home, electronic devices, etc. I've shared resources and procedures that work for us in the classroom but these students have 1 to 1 support during the school day and parents don't have that. I agree with someone upthread, some parents are not equipped to parent, let alone parent a child with significant special needs. Add to the mix having to work from home and care for them....:dazed: