Florida Mother Charged With The Murder Of Her Autistic Son

Leeda.the.Paladin

Florida mother charged with the murder of her autistic son
by Sara Grace Todd

Saturday, May 23rd 2020

Alejandro Ripley, 9, was found dead on May 22 after his mother reported him missing. (Miami-Dade Police Department)<p>{/p}

FLORIDA (WSET) -- A Florida woman, who allegedly lied to police that her son with autism was abducted by two African American men, was charged with the boy's murder, according to police.

Patricia Ripley, was seen on surveillance video pushing her son, Alejandro Ripley, into a canal on Thursday night trying to drown him.

Neighbors heard screams and came to the rescue of the 9-year-old non-verbal boy with autism, police say.

"An hour later she brought him to a different canal, this time, unfortunately, there was no one there to save him," said Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle.

Alejandro Ripley was found dead on Friday morning in a golf course waterway, he was wearing a Captain America T-shirt, according to police.

Patricia Ripley, 45, was held without bail on Saturday morning pending her first court appearance for charges of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree premeditated murder and first-degree murder. Attorney information for Patricia Ripley was not available as of Saturday.

Patricia Ripley, 47, charged with murdering her 9-year-old son. (Miami-Dade Police Department)

Patricia's arrest comes almost 2 days after she first reported him missing and an Amber Alert was launched.

Patricia told police that while driving with her son on Thursday evening, she was allegedly ambushed by two men - one armed with a knife - who demanded drugs, according to Miami-Dade police.

"After stating she didn't have any drugs, he then stole her cellular phone and abducted her son, fleeing southbound in the unknown vehicle," according to the police report.

Patricia Ripley described the alleged abductors as to black men, police said. She described herself as a white Hispanic, according to the arrest affidavit.

The child's father is "heartbroken,", Rundle said at the press conference.

Police say that after Alejandro Ripley's body was found they questioned his mother, who allegedly gave conflicting statements and then recanted the robbery account, per the affidavit.

"She admitted that she drove to the SW 62 Street and SW 138 Court at approximately 8:30 p.m. and parked near a canal. She then led the victim to the canal where he drowned. She stated he's going to be in a better place," according to the affadavit.

If convicted, she faces a death sentence or life in prison without parole.

Keen

The minute I heard that she reported two men tried to kidnap him, the story went left to me. Didn't know that she tried to finger black men. Thank God for the surveillance tape. Hope she gets the needle.
First it was “a black man”. That’s what the amber alert said. We were wondering why would a black man randomly kidnap a white artistic kid from Home Depot?

Then the story morphed to two black man forced her off the road and ask for drug. I was done with her at that time.

The media is trying to leave out the “black” men part of the story. Come to find out this lady tried to drown the kid an hour earlier. Neighbors stopORD her. So she went to another canal and drown him. I bet she’s going to plead insanity.

Lylddlebit

I fear a lot of people harming their kids during the pandemic. The combination of people who suck being capable of procreation, combined with being in a position to be forced to tend to their own kids without pushing them off on other resources they normally have, and a disease that is easily transmissible creates the perfect storm for an unfit parent to try their hand and getting rid of their kid(s). She is disgusting, yet, there are many more men and women with her same character flaws.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
1) Sick of people inventing Black male suspects. Thet need to tack on hate crime charges in these cases.

2) Why weren't the police called the first time? If there ever was a need for a so called citizen's arrest, this was the time.

3) This is another reason why teachers need to be respected and valued more in this country. Teachers are expected to handle all kinds of needs in over packed classrooms with insufficient support.

naturalgyrl5199

How many black men are rotting in the ground over the last century bc a WW cried wolf!

What a black man want with an Autistic kid? Why they always think black men want their cruddy self and they children? She belongs under the jail. And sure I bet she is stressed, and probably overwhelmed and blah blah....but no....too many families with Autistic kids are like...NOT KILLING their own children. I bet you can see a "sympathy and psychological profile pop up" soon...but nah....she belong in jail...in Gen pop.

werenumber2

What a heart-breaking story. Services and therapies for special needs families have been disrupted because of Covid and it’s turning already difficult situations into impossible ones. I’m guessing that with the child still being non-verbal and wearing a diaper at 9 years old, his autism was on the severe side so he likely would have spent the rest of his days in an assisted living facility once his family passed away or could no longer care for him. The mother said that he’s in a better place now, so she likely saw no future for him. Such a tragedy

Keen

I mean, he’s non verbal so she probably just made something up as to why he was drowning in the canal. Those people who caught her the first time probably had no clue what was happening
The whole thing was caught on camera. The neighbor says he didn’t realize that’s what was happening. I think the mom left him in the water, went to get people yo “help” and was hoping the child would have drowned by the time she came back.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I fear a lot of people harming their kids during the pandemic. The combination of people who suck being capable of procreation, combined with being in a position to be forced to tend to their own kids without pushing them off on other resources they normally have, and a disease that is easily transmissible creates the perfect storm for an unfit parent to try their hand and getting rid of their kid(s). She is disgusting, yet, there are many more men and women with her same character flaws.

I found the number of people freaking out and exasperated about having to care for their own children while schools are closed, to be strange and alarming.

Lylddlebit

I found the number of people freaking out and exasperated about having to care for their own children while schools are closed, to be strange and alarming.

Yeah at first I chuckled and said "look at all these folks learning to parent their own kids"...then I realized how funny it wasn't. It is not okay to just be learning how to manage school aged kids that are biologically yours... it's a red flag. My comment doesn't apply to people who temporarily got knocked off their square and readjusted or those with cheeky comments who were just having fun. We all have our moments, but those at their wits' end for being held accountable for what they are responsible for? Come on now.

discodumpling

^^^IKR?? I also laughed at folks posting about how exasperated they are minding their own kids. Like #howsway these are your pickney!
I now just count my blessings and thank GOD for my bad a$$ed kids. All I have to do is feed them and check their school work. I was already "friends" with their teachers and school admins. The second an assignment is missing or somebody doesn't log in or attend a scheduled conference call I'm getting a text, a phone call an email or an alert on Google Classroom or Class Dojo.
I will pray for the children of the world that have to suffer through incapable parenting. Especially at this unprecedented time in our lives.

Kanky

I’m guessing that you don’t have kids. :lol:

These are very unusual circumstances. It isn’t normal for parents to be trying to work from home while educating their children with no outside support because of social distancing. On top of that all of the places that people take kids to be entertained are closed. The museums, playgrounds, movies, ect are shut down which means that parents have to work and entertain kids at the same time. There are no play dates, babysitters, nannies or visits with relatives to help. There are a lot of normal, usually functional families that are struggling right now. Add financial stress and fear over the pandemic and it is going to be a mess for a lot of people. If it was as simple as freaking out over taking care of their own kids then there would be a freak out every summer when school is out.

I think that if never going anywhere or seeing anyone outside of your own household is not a big deal for a family then they weren’t particularly functional in the first place.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I’m guessing that you don’t have kids. :lol:

These are very unusual circumstances. It isn’t normal for parents to be trying to work from home while educating their children with no outside support because of social distancing. On top of that all of the places that people take kids to be entertained are closed. The museums, playgrounds, movies, ect are shut down which means that parents have to work and entertain kids at the same time. There are no play dates, babysitters, nannies or visits with relatives to help. There are a lot of normal, usually functional families that are struggling right now. Add financial stress and fear over the pandemic and it is going to be a mess for a lot of people. If it was as simple as freaking out over taking care of their own kids then there would be a freak out every summer when school is out.

I think that if never going anywhere or seeing anyone outside of your own household is not a big deal for a family then they weren’t particularly functional in the first place.

No, I don’t have kids. Maybe my perspective would be different if I did. But the two ladies who replied above you seem to agree with me, and they do have children, so maybe not...

This is a stressful and unusual situation for everyone. But yes, you have to manage this stressful and unusual situation with YOUR kids. Members of YOUR family, that you created.

Imo, the reasons for the intense freak outs (no school, no nanny, no museum, etc), don’t change the fact that the reality of it is alarming. People have no clue what to do with their own kids for more than a weekend without outside help. Because I’m not a parent, I didn’t know that was the case. People were seriously, not just Twitter joking, but seriously demanding and petitioning the state to reopen schools, and put them damn kids back in there, at the height of a global pandemic. o_O Something is not right.

Theresamonet

I'm in a couple Mom's groups and I feel the same. Granted, I have a baby, so I'm doing everything for him anyway. Maybe they need to remember the infant stage?

I’ve seen IRL, normally good parents, just decide that social distancing is over, because they’re tired of their kids. I had to give my mom a talk about not letting people guilt her into allowing their kids to come to her house. People about to risk their lives to be free of their kids. It’s only been 2 months.

Evolving78

What a heart-breaking story. Services and therapies for special needs families have been disrupted because of Covid and it’s turning already difficult situations into impossible ones. I’m guessing that with the child still being non-verbal and wearing a diaper at 9 years old, his autism was on the severe side so he likely would have spent the rest of his days in an assisted living facility once his family passed away or could no longer care for him. The mother said that he’s in a better place now, so she likely saw no future for him. Such a tragedy
She saw no future for herself being his parent.

Kanky

No, I don’t have kids. Maybe my perspective would be different if I did. But the two ladies who replied above you seem to agree with me, and they do have children, so maybe not...

This is a stressful and unusual situation for everyone. But yes, you have to manage this stressful and unusual situation with YOUR kids. Members of YOUR family, that you created.

Imo, the reasons for the intense freak outs (no school, no nanny, no museum, etc), don’t change the fact that the reality of it is alarming. People have no clue what to do with their own kids for more than a weekend without outside help. Because I’m not a parent, I didn’t know that was the case. People were seriously, not just Twitter joking, but seriously demanding and petitioning the state to reopen schools, and put them damn kids back in there, at the height of a global pandemic. o_O Something is not right.

I am amazed by how little compassion there is for parents and children.

I’ve not seen very many people who seriously want schools to open back up in the pandemic. Most of the posts about ending the lockdowns on twitter are just bots and almost everyone supports the lockdown and a gradual reopening.

People are having a hard time educating their children while working from home. The difficulty varies based on the age of and number children and the type of work being done. Anyone who actually has work to do while caring for a toddler has my sympathy because toddlers don’t care about your work or your zoom meeting. :lol:

My oldest is a teenager. He is less work during the lockdown than he is during normal times.

Families are not meant to be completely independent little groups that have no community support or interaction. Neurotypical people want to socialize with folks outside of their houses. I am not going to risk my life and health over it, but children are suffering for lack of same age playmates and loneliness is also bad for health. I am really glad that I don’t have lonely only kids and that they at least have each other to play with.

It is normal to get tired of your kids and want a break, just like it is normal to get tired of your spouse and and want some time to yourself. You don’t become a bad wife because you want a girls night and you don’t become a bad parent because you want someone other than yourself to take of your kids for a while.

People are not bad, incapable parents because they are struggling in this pandemic.

Evolving78

I am amazed by how little compassion there is for parents and children.

I’ve not seen very many people who seriously want schools to open back up in the pandemic. Most of the posts about ending the lockdowns on twitter are just bots and almost everyone supports the lockdown and a gradual reopening.

People are having a hard time educating their children while working from home. The difficulty varies based on the age of and number children and the type of work being done. Anyone who actually has work to do while caring for a toddler has my sympathy because toddlers don’t care about your work or your zoom meeting. :lol:

My oldest is a teenager. He is less work during the lockdown than he is during normal times.

Families are not meant to be completely independent little groups that have no community support or interaction. Neurotypical people want to socialize with folks outside of their houses. I am not going to risk my life and health over it, but children are suffering for lack of same age playmates and loneliness is also bad for health. I am really glad that I don’t have lonely only kids and that they at least have each other to play with.

It is normal to get tired of your kids and want a break, just like it is normal to get tired of your spouse and and want some time to yourself. You don’t become a bad wife because you want a girls night and you don’t become a bad parent because you want someone other than yourself to take of your kids for a while.

People are not bad, incapable parents because they are struggling in this pandemic.
There are a lot of mothers being exposed about how they really feel about being a mother an a wife. I pray for the children, and I hope they are able to make it through this challenging time.

dancinstallion

[QUOTE="Kanky, post: 25486525, member: 348641".

I think that if never going anywhere or seeing anyone outside of your own household is not a big deal for a family then they weren’t particularly functional in the first place
.[/QUOTE]

Judging much
Excuse me. I beg to differ! :drunk:

My family is not dysfunctional because we can cook at home, play games, and homeschool without interacting with other folks. We have been doing it for years. I see plenty of dysfunctional socializing families so I will take peace and quiet at home over socializing with incompetents any day. Different strokes for different folks.

Kanky

We cook at home, homeschool (during the summer) and play games too.

But we also play baseball, soccer, basketball, golf and tennis. We ride horses and swim. We take art classes. We go to museums and take vacations. We hike and camp. We eat at restaurants. We visit with friends and family. We go to church and to social groups.

Why are you deciding between “peace and quiet at home” and “socializing with incompetents” when it is possible to have a life that includes socializing with quality people and enjoying a peaceful home life? :look:

dancinstallion

We cook at home, homeschool (during the summer) and play games too.

But we also play baseball, soccer, basketball, golf and tennis. We ride horses and swim. We take art classes. We go to museums and take vacations. We hike and camp. We eat at restaurants. We visit with friends and family. We go to church and to social groups.

Why are you deciding between “peace and quiet at home” and “socializing with incompetents” when it is possible to have a life that includes socializing with quality people and enjoying a peaceful home life? :look:

I am not deciding, we do ALL of those things too(besides horse riding) since we are in quarantine we havent and it isnt the end of the world. We are fine without going out to socialize too. I know families that dont do half of those things in normal times and I think it is a bit much to call them dysfunctional. Some people dont have stable families and friends to be around. Tis all.

Last edited: