Foods for hairgrowth....

Windsy

In crease your protein intake and I guarentee you will see an increase in hair growth.

Some Foods High in Protein:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Lean Ground Turkey
Egg Whites
Tuna Fish
Cottage Cheese
Shrimps

These are just a few.

ChocalateDiva

Since hair is protein, a diet that is too low in protein may cause some thinning in hair or a retardation in the growth cycle. The converse is true, If you eat a protein-rich diet it will often result in improved hair growth.
Some nutritional experts suggest the dietary utilization of calves liver, brewer's yeast, wheat germ and a daily dose of two tablespoons of granulated lecithin to maximize hair growth, strength and beauty.
Other good food sources for protein include fish, eggs, beans and yogurt.

Soy protein has also been found to be helpful in stimulating hair growth.
One study of the results of soy on the hair found that it not only strengthened the hair but caused it to grow. A great source of soy is tofu.

Last edited:

ChocalateDiva

Since hair is protein, a diet that is too low in protein may cause some thinning in hair or a retardation in the growth cycle. The converse is true, If you eat a protein-rich diet it will often result in improved hair growth.
Some nutritional experts suggest the dietary utilization of calves liver, brewer's yeast, wheat germ and a daily dose of two tablespoons of granulated lecithin to maximize hair growth, strength and beauty.

One study of the results of soy on the hair found that it not only strengthened the hair but caused it to grow. A great source of soy is

ChocalateDiva

One study of the results of soy on the hair found that it not only strengthened the hair but caused it to grow. A great source of soy is tofu.

BeautifulFlower

This is my kind of thread. I say we start a challenge called HealthyBodyHealthyHair (Thanks PinkSkates). This challenge can involve ingesting healthy proteins, vitamins, and minerals and exercising (optional) as a "growth aid". I know eating healthy and working out has helped my new growth tremendously. I have 2+ inches of new growth in less than 2 months.

gymfreak336

Maybe I can help
There are lots of things you can eat to support healthy hair growth.

Oatmeal- Oatmeal is rich in b-vitamins especially biotin. Oatmeal has iron in it and also a little protein. Whole grains like oatmeal help support hair growth also by having a high fiber content. Eat a diet high in fiber helps support a healthy, itch and flake free scalp

Fish- Fatty fishes like Salmon are high in omega fatty acids. They are also low in calories but high in protein which makes it a perfect healthy food.

Walnuts- Walnuts have one of the highest amounts of omega fatty acids of any nut. Try eating a handful every day. They are high in calories but keep in mind that they are full of healthy fat that supports soft skin and a strong heart. Try then chopped up in your morning oatmeal or on a salad

Almonds- If you are not eating almonds then I need you to go get some right now :driver: These little nuts benefit your whole body. A handful (about one ounce) has only 160 calories and is backed with iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamin e, calcium and protein. They also help you lose weight by supressing your appetite. So what does this mean for your hair....a healthy scalp is supported by a high mineral intake. Magnesium and calcuim work intandem with zinc to makes sure you have a flake free healthy scalp.

Cheese- Cheese like 2% cheddar have high amount of cysteine, an amino acid that helps support strong an thick hair growth. Try a small piece of cheese with a handful of almonds as a snack.

Onions and the like

Onions and other things in the family like garlic and leeks have high amount of sulfur. Diets high in sulfur not only help combat the excess nitrates they put in processed meats but also contribute to healthy hair growth. Our hair is made up of mostly sulfur bearing amino acids so eating extra sulfur will help promote soft managable hair growth

Rice and Cabbage- Eating brown rices and cabbage will help increase your diets level of silica. Silica helps hair grow more shiney and strong

Eggs and Milk- Eggs and milk are both high in protein. Try eating scrambled eggs as a part of your breakfast and drinking skim or 2% milk.

Beans- beans are a vegetable that is high in protein and fiber. Try to include beans into atleast two weekly means.

Pumpkin and sweet potatoes- both of these are high in beta carotene, a form of vitamin A that supports connective tissue and your eyesight. Try using canned pumpkin in cookies. I also like it in my oatmeal with a couple of dashes of pumpkin pie spice and some honey and walnuts.

I got more, I will be back

Lioness

I'm liking this thread already :grin:

Right, here goes:

There is a wealth of information on the internet regarding the link between types of food and hair health/hair growth.

Through out the last couple of months, I've searched for and found so much information, I wouldn't even know where to start.

I am using a different computer to what I usually use, so the list of links about food and hair health that I have is not with me.....If you go to google and use search phrases like - ''diet and hair growth'' / ''long hair and protein food'' / ''hair growth and diet'' etc you'll find a load of information, studies and testimonies from people who say foods made their hair grow.

There is also quite a bit of info on this Forum.. use the search feature...
I remember reading one of Isis' posts, about a former co-worker with long hair (WL If I remember corectly) who ate a tin of salmon every day.Also, Ekomba, amongst others here, knows quite a bit about the 'hair diet'...

While it's true that tuna fish is high in protein, it should be consumed with caution due to the high levels of mercury in the tuna.

I have adjusted my whole diet to include foods which will not only feed and bring good health to my body, but also my hair.

There is a strong link to food and hair health--- after all, a healthy body will produce healthy hair. This is why I have changed my eating habits.

Since about three and a half months, my daily/weekly diet consists of the following:

Soy meat
Carrot juice
Nettle Tea
Lots and lots of water
onions
Eggs
Mixed Nuts (cashews mainly.yum!)
Garlic
Salmon
Mackrel
vegetables
Spinach
Sea Kelp
Fruits
Rice milk
Chicken
Red Kidney Beans and mixed pulses

:lick:

Since incorporating these foods into my every day diet, my hair has grown 1''-1.5'' per month. I also take vitamins though :lick:

HTH x

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Basically any food rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, and good fatty acids will help promote hair growth. For instance, blueberries are vitamin and antioxidant packed and they can help promote hair growth. I try to eat a portion of blueberries everyday for the nutrient value. Also, Green Tea, Honey, Aloe Vera extract, and Apple Cider Vinegar help promote hair growth. Oh yeah, and fish. Fish is really good for promoting hair growth.

AvaSpeaks

Not to be a drag but we eat foods high in protein all the time. I mean how many of us already eat chicken and eggs, tuna fish, oatmeal.

Diets rich in protein is already eaten in this country, especially in the Black community. If these foods really helped, then we all have hair down our backs :blush:

Naw, it must be something else, or the way in which we are getting our protein. Like maybe increase protein shakes or wheat germ. Maybe we need protein in other different forms, different from what we are getting now.

Studies show that one of the main diet problems in this country is that we get TOO MUCH protein in our diets. That's one of the reasons why some Americans feels extremely sluggish.

gymfreak336

Not to be a drag but we eat foods high in protein all the time. I mean how many of us already eat chicken and eggs, tuna fish, oatmeal.

Diets rich in protein is already eaten in this country, especially in the Black community. If these foods really helped, then we all have hair down our backs :blush:

Naw, it must be something else, or the way in which we are getting our protein. Like maybe increase protein shakes or wheat germ. Maybe we need protein in other different forms, different from what we are getting now.

Studies show that one of the main diet problems in this country is that we get TOO MUCH protein in our diets. That's one of the reasons why some Americans feels extremely sluggish.

Not true, how you handle it determines how long your hair gets. No one thing is just the answer. I can't just eat well and expect to go from a size 20 to a 4, nor can I just workout all day and eat ding dongs and skittles expect the same result. I can eat all the protein and veggies I can find but if I still abuse the hell out of my hair, it isn't going to look great.

Yes the black community eats alot of chicken and fish but it is usually fried to death.
The reason Americans are sluggish is because we eat too much saturated fat and sugar and we don't eat enough fiber (fruits and veggies), not protein. Now the way we cook out protein contributes to the high sat. fat levels.

Windsy

Not true, how you handle it determines how long your hair gets. No one thing is just the answer. I can't just eat well and expect to go from a size 20 to a 4, nor can I just workout all day and eat ding dongs and skittles expect the same result. I can eat all the protein and veggies I can find but if I still abuse the hell out of my hair, it isn't going to look great.

Yes the black community eats alot of chicken and fish but it is usually fried to death.
The reason Americans are sluggish is because we eat too much saturated fat and sugar and we don't eat enough fiber (fruits and veggies), not protein. Now the way we cook out protein contributes to the high sat. fat levels.

I totally agree, especially with the bolded. I changed my diet to include lots more otameal, vegies, proteins and fruits. I touched up my hair in October and my new growth now is out of control that I doubt if I can make it to a 6 month stretch. Also, water, water, water - Can't say it more!!!!

locabouthair

good thread. i always felt my diet is the reason I only get 1/4 inch a month, if that, plus my hair doesnt have that natural shine i wish it had.

another protein rich food i love is chick peas, when you make them right they are sooooooooo good:lick:

i have to start eating better because my skin is breaking out due to all the crap I eat. And i'm sure my hair will improve also.

to all the ladies get an inch or more per month how often are you relaxing? i think if i got that much growth. i'd have to relax every month, and that's too soon.

I have recently changed my diet incorporating foods with high levels of fiber in it, and I must say that I feel so much better on a whole.

As for hair growth I won't be able to say anything until I straighten in a week, but in terms of weight loss I lost 5 pounds and a few inches on my waist and hips. :yep:

man i started not to come into this thread. lol i knew you girls were gonna make me feel bad about not juicing my carrots like i used too. ugh! :) i was doing so well too. anyway, here is my list of what foods i like for hair growth:

carrot juice, eggs, sushi (yummy), salmon, water, lemon juice, garlic, onions...

***off to drink some water and boil some eggs and juice some durn carrots***

cicilypayne

I've heard great things about wheatgrass and sea veggies like sea weed, kelp and spiruluna(sp?). I know Candy C started a thread about sea veggies and I believe Isis contributes some of her wonderful success on eating right.:yep::yep:

Great Thread.

Isis

I've heard great things about wheatgrass and sea veggies like sea weed, kelp and spiruluna(sp?). I know Candy C started a thread about sea veggies and I believe Isis contributes some of her wonderful success on eating right.:yep::yep:

Great Thread.
You're correct. :yep: Sea veggies are a staple for me and very good for the hair.

Also for hair growth, I would say all foods high in sulphur, which a main ingredient of keratin in our hair, such as:

Eggs
Carrots (carrot juice)
Nuts
Mushrooms
Onions
Garlic
Cabbages including Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower
Beans

AvaSpeaks

Yes but how is that protein prepared? Normally fried smothered and gravied down, decreasing the nutritional values of food by taking the easy route

Instant oatmeal bastardised with sugars
frying chicken in lard with two lbs of white bleached flour
beef in the form of a mcdonald's burger

coupled with no exercise, overeating, slow digestive systems that won't eliminate waste quickly enough. Too much of ANYTHING isn't good for you. Be it water or protein.

OP look for foods that are high in necessary nutrients along with at least 30 minutes of exercise daily and length retention practices. It's not how much you grow but how much you keep :yep:

That's why I said in my post it's how we are taking the protein in. Re-read my post guys.

AvaSpeaks

I now it's how we take it in, that's what I mention in my posts. And i really meant that we eat all of these foods but being fried never entered into my mind.

I mean lots of us eat Oatmeal at least twice a week. Lots of us eat Turkey sandwiches, grilled chicken, eggs (whatever way). That's why I said it's either the way we eat it or the way we take it in, like thru a protein shake or eating other high-protein foods that we don't eat, like seaweed or soybean-based products.

kiesha8185

Bumping this thread!!!

I want to know...has anyone experienced faster growth from drinking Nutriment, Ensure, Boost, or any of those kind of drinks? I've been drinking one Nutriment a day (to gain weight :look:) and I've noticed that my nails are growing much faster, stronger, and the tips are much whiter. I wasn't drinking them at all for my hair, but I noticed that it contains 16 grams of protein per can! Sometimes I drink 2 at a time...I love the taste of it!

I'm assuming that since it's having such a good effect on my nails, that my hair should be benefiting as well...but it hasn't been long enough to tell.

ETA: It is high in sugar, so watch out...

LongHairDreams

In crease your protein intake and I guarentee you will see an increase in hair growth.

Some Foods High in Protein:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Lean Ground Turkey
Egg Whites
Tuna Fish
Cottage Cheese
Shrimps

These are just a few.

If thats the case, my hair should be to the floor!! Even before I BCd.:grin:

locabouthair

Bumping this thread!!!

I want to know...has anyone experienced faster growth from drinking Nutriment, Ensure, Boost, or any of those kind of drinks? I've been drinking one Nutriment a day (to gain weight :look:) and I've noticed that my nails are growing much faster, stronger, and the tips are much whiter. I wasn't drinking them at all for my hair, but I noticed that it contains 16 grams of protein per can! Sometimes I drink 2 at a time...I love the taste of it!

I'm assuming that since it's having such a good effect on my nails, that my hair should be benefiting as well...but it hasn't been long enough to tell.

ETA: It is high in sugar, so watch out...

I think you're better off drinking whey protein shakes. I have designer whey protein shake and It doesnt have a lot of sugar suprisingly.

PuffyBrown

:bump:to subscribe!

FYI,

Amongst the stuff listed, I love those protein shakes, like Genisoy there is another one that I like but I cant think of the name of it right now.

tricie

In addition to all the great foods mentioned in this thread, has any one tried this hair cocktail? There was a thread on it (may have been in the recipes section) awhile back that didn't get bumped and died as an unpopular thread. :lachen:

Seven Wonders "Hair Food" Cocktail

The following drink contains Protein, Choline, Inositol, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin E and Zinc: The seven ingredients nutritionists most often recommend for growing healthy hair.

8 Fl oz Plain Yogurt
8 Fl oz Orange Juice
3 Tablespoons Wheat Germ
3 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast
1 Tablespoon Lecithin Crystals
1 Teaspoon Vitamin C Crystals
1 Raw Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon Unflavored Gelatine Powder
Honey to Taste (optional)

Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. If a blender is not available put all the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously.

This tonic makes a quick and nutritious breakfast and will work wonders for your hair.

I won't lie to you, ladies, this doesn't taste good at all; the brewer's yeast makes it almost unbearable, but in the name of health and hair, I have been drinking it for a few weeks and have learned to tolerate it (I put extra honey and Splenda and make sure it is really cold); my ng is real pretty! Oh yeah, I would make sure I blend it instead of shaking it. :drunk:

MissMasala5

Don't forget the herbs and spices! Turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, fenugreek, rosemary, garlic/onions and basil to name some. Think about it: most regions of the world where the diet is rich in hot and/or spice-laden dishes, the people's hair is thick, lush, glossy and grows long. Add to that the freshness of the food, the protein, and antioxidant properties, etc.

MissMasala5

In addition to all the great foods mentioned in this thread, has any one tried this hair cocktail? There was a thread on it (may have been in the recipes section) awhile back that didn't get bumped and died as an unpopular thread. :lachen:

Seven Wonders "Hair Food" Cocktail

The following drink contains Protein, Choline, Inositol, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin E and Zinc: The seven ingredients nutritionists most often recommend for growing healthy hair.

8 Fl oz Plain Yogurt
8 Fl oz Orange Juice
3 Tablespoons Wheat Germ
3 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast
1 Tablespoon Lecithin Crystals
1 Teaspoon Vitamin C Crystals
1 Raw Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon Unflavored Gelatine Powder
Honey to Taste (optional)

Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. If a blender is not available put all the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously.

This tonic makes a quick and nutritious breakfast and will work wonders for your hair.

I won't lie to you, ladies, this doesn't taste good at all; the brewer's yeast makes it almost unbearable, but in the name of health and hair, I have been drinking it for a few weeks and have learned to tolerate it (I put extra honey and Splenda and make sure it is really cold); my ng is real pretty! Oh yeah, I would make sure I blend it instead of shaking it. :drunk:

Be careful with raw egg, you could get salmonella