Foods for longer, stronger hair

sensi sweetie

Just wanted to share a little blurp from Woman's Health Magazine with all my hair sisters.

I know this may be common sense for many, but it's always good to reaffirm what you already know. :yep:

Q: Are there any foods that can help my hair grow longer and stronger faster?

Yes. If you want to lengthen your locks try eating foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts. They may boost hair strength and growth, says Jennifer Wimbor, RD, a nutritionist in Chicago. Foods that are high in protein, including eggs, white fish, poultry and beans can prevent strands from splitting and becoming brittle. Also, pile your plate with dark-green vegetables like spinach and broccoli- they're full of iron, which increases blood circulation to the scalp and may help keep follicles healthy, Wimbor adds.

~~HoneyComb~~

I've been on a medium protein diet for almost 2 years and my hair has certainly thrived from eating eggs almost daily, chicken breast, tilapia, beef, etc.

My hair is much stronger and is growing right on schedule.

Carisa

I eat a high protein diet also and I think thats is why my hair has thrived too! I need to do better with those dark green veges though

Monaleezza

I plan to eat RAW. That way I know I'm getting 100% nutrients from my food. I'll keep you posted if it does indeed offer hair length/strength benefits.

amwcah

Its hard for me to find the right balance of foods that benefit my hair and weightloss.

amwcah

But protein and veggies are essential for maintaining a healthy weight :perplexed

If they were saying twinkies and doritos will grow your hair, then I would understand. :lachen:

I'm mostly referring to the walnuts since they don't aid in weight loss. Furthermore, I'm not maintaining my weight but losing weight.

zzirvingj

Salmon is SO good for hair; at least based on my experience. I need to start incorporating more of it into my diet again...

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
But protein and veggies are essential for maintaining a healthy weight :perplexed

If they were saying twinkies and doritos will grow your hair, then I would understand. :lachen:
Exactly

I'm mostly referring to the walnuts since they don't aid in weight loss. Furthermore, I'm not maintaining my weight but losing weight.

Really? Picking out the walnuts as a diet and weight loss saboteur as the one item out of all the others mentioned sounds like an excuse. Even if walnuts were the only item to benefit hair health and growth, eating them in moderation would not cause any problems to one trying to lose weight, while still reaping the hair benefits of consuming the walnuts. Finding balance and using moderation are key in any healthy lifelong diet and exercise program, not singling out items as forbidden.

Last edited:

sensi sweetie

Nuts are actually a great source of protein and help keep your appetite at bay so you don't end up pigging out on something of less nutritional value. Many dietitians will actually recommend a handful of nuts as a healthy, daily snack to clients looking to drop some weight.

Also, the foods you eat to maintain a healthy weight are the same foods you eat to loose weight. What is healthy is healthy. If you are doing something drastic to drop LBs it is most definitely a fad diet. Loosing weight is a lifestyle change- and what better way to change your lifestyle then incoorperating healthy foods that aid your whole entire body?

Not trying to play Ms Smart A55, I just don't want you to have any excuses standing in the way of your future lush hair and sick bod ;)

empressri

Nuts are actually a great source of protein and help keep your appetite at bay so you don't end up pigging out on something of less nutritional value. Many dietitians will actually recommend a handful of nuts as a healthy, daily snack to clients looking to drop some weight.

Also, the foods you eat to maintain a healthy weight are the same foods you eat to loose weight. What is healthy is healthy. If you are doing something drastic to drop LBs it is most definitely a fad diet. Loosing weight is a lifestyle change- and what better way to change your lifestyle then incoorperating healthy foods that aid your whole entire body?

Not trying to play Ms Smart A55, I just don't want you to have any excuses standing in the way of your future lush hair and sick bod ;)

almonds and walnuts i see mostly recommended. read something in shape magazine the other day and jillian michaels said eat peanuts in moderation, or something of the like.

im guessing peanuts dont fill you up, or it's an empty filler. walnuts and almonds are "meatier" nuts...although im allergic so it doesnt help me.

amwcah

Thanks! I have a healthy diet.

MrsHdrLe

I understand the diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids are best reached in fish products, but I'm allergic to fish and seafood. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm afraid to try pills and supplements b/c my allergy cause breathing problems.

CB1731

I have been on a moderate protein diet for a while now and my hair loves it.

I eat walnuts and almonds often and I lose weight with no problems. A peanut is not really a nut, it's a legume and I'm trying to stay away but I love peanut butter.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I'm working on bettering my diet and taking a multivitamin, not really for my hair but for general health. I've noticed that the roots of my hair retain moisture and feel softer (all thought still coarse) than the rest of my hair.
There's no point in me putting so much effort in taking care of the outside if I'm not taking care of the inside.

I understand the diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids are best reached in fish products, but I'm allergic to fish and seafood. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm afraid to try pills and supplements b/c my allergy cause breathing problems.
Maybe try ground flax seed/flax oil and nuts like walnuts. Those have high amounts of omega fatty acids but I believe they are of a different type of fatty acid than what can be found in fish and such. I would ask a doctor just to be sure.

classychic1908

Flax seeds and walnuts are great choices!

I found some great info at this site WHFoods: omega-3 fatty acids

Scroll down and there is a chart with lots of food choices rich in Omegas

pureebony

great info, sugar is my weakness, i read everywhere that sugar like salt if not naturally derived is more harmful to the body, so i guess no more cakes and cookies for me!!

locabouthair

I use to neglect my veggies completely a few years back and that was the worst condition my hair had ever been in.
No amount of DCing can fix internal problems :yep:

This!

For yrs now I have been dealing with dryness issues. Conditioners hardly help.I even went to a trichologist who basically just told me to change my diet, which I knew all along. I even got my thyroid tested and that came back fine. My hair also looks dull too. I'm 99% sure it's because I've never eaten right.

Ladies keep in mind that it takes at least 12 weeks for nutrition changes to get to the follicles of the hair. The trich told me this and I read it online. So it will take months for the foods to affect the hair. The hair on your head wont be affected but the hair that is growing in will be healthier. I've been eating fast food and sweets for yrs so it's hard for me to get in the habit of eating healthy. I'm gaining weight now so I need to adopt healthier habits.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
great info, sugar is my weakness, i read everywhere that sugar like salt if not naturally derived is more harmful to the body, so i guess no more cakes and cookies for me!!
I cut back on sugar and surprisingly it wasn't too hard for me. What I discovered is how some foods are very sweet on their own. I like to add honey to things like oatmeal or plain yogurt or snack on raisins and strawberries if I want something sweet.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

pecans
walnuts
hemp protein,seeds,oil
flax oil, seed