Football Players Nearly Drown During Training, Coach Told Lifeguard Not To Help

winterinatl

All natural!
Three high school football players nearly drown during training, players say coach wouldn't let lifeguard respond

High school football players in Fairbanks, Alaska accuse their coach of forcing players to do training exercises in a pool, aware those players didn't know how to swim. Three players needed CPR at the scene and spent the night in a hospital. / Source: MGN Image
By Aaron Walling |
Posted: Thu 8:04 AM, Aug 01, 2019
a press release from the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.

At least one students sank to the bottom. Eyewitness 1 said he watched the lifeguard try to pull that student up, but at first, she couldn't.

“I started crying, because I just didn’t know what was going on. They pulled one kid out and his arms were just stiff. He was just stiff. He wasn’t moving. I just started bawling my eyes out because I genuinely thought he was dead. ...They pulled the last kid out, I thought he was dead because he was purple and he wasn’t moving at all. Everyone there was pretty much bawling their eyes out and either mad or just sad that this was going on," said Eyewitness 1.

According to another witness (Eyewitness 2), they trained for more than an hour and a half before Hessner told them to put on the sweaters.

According to a post on the West Valley High School website, this 3-day camp was listed as mandatory. On page 83 of the Alaska Schools Activities Association handbook, it states:

The coach or other personnel representing the school is prohibited from requiring any athlete to participate in an out-of-season sport, training program, or travel team as a condition of selection for the in-season team.

Eyewitness 2 said Hessner also told players the camp was mandatory if they wanted any time on the field in the upcoming season.

“He said, 'You have to be there if you want to play or earn your pads during this camp,'” said Eyewitness 2.

According to both witnesses, Hessner did not jump into the water.

“I saw him on the phone, but then after that he didn’t do anything. I didn’t see him help any, because pretty much every coach that was there was either going into the water grabbing a kid or they were outside the pool talking to kids calming them down and he just didn’t talk to any kids at all," said Eyewitness 1.

“The coach is just standing there. Three coaches and the lifeguard jumped in because they saw three kids still in there," said Eyewitness 2.

“If the coaches didn’t jump in, I really think that some kids would have died then, or if the lifeguard didn’t jump in first, kids would have died.” said Eyewitness 1.

The school suspended all preseason activities for the football team, but they will start the football season as regularly scheduled.

A new coaching staff was put together to start the season. A teacher in the area with experience coaching football and wrestling at the high school is serving as acting head coach.

Copyright 2019 KTVF via Gray Television Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

shasha8685

The high school I graduated from was in the Fairbanks North Star Borough....West Valley was one of our rivals. I could see a coach there doing something dumb like this......

dancinstallion

That coach needs to be under the jail. And, imma need these parents to teach their kids to say no when coaches (or anyone) asks them to do stuff like this. Your life is not worth football!

I tried to tell Ds this but he still listened to his gym teacher. The teacher had them running outside and it was cold those days. Ds told his teacher I said no. The teacher responded it is not below 50 degrees you will be alright. Ds still went.

nyeredzi

I tried to tell Ds this but he still listened to his gym teacher. The teacher had them running outside and it was cold those days. Ds told his teacher I said no. The teacher responded it is not below 50 degrees you will be alright. Ds still went.
How old is DS? It is very hard to completely refuse an adult as a child.

Though at 50 degrees, he really will be alright, especially if running.

dancinstallion

How old is DS? It is very hard to completely refuse an adult as a child.

Though at 50 degrees, he really will be alright, especially if running.

Ds was 12 or 13. It just happened this past school year. I didn't make a big fuss about. but Ds said they were shivering while running and teeth clattering. That's why I said he shouldn't do it. It was too cold for him to warm up even though he was running. It happened two days in a row.

Tibbar

Ok I know nothing about football training but I don't think I understand why they are using the pool???

Schools in our area have had really bad incidents during out of town (mandatory per school coaches but unsanctioned per local school athletics governing bodies--- but every school does it and they know, but don't unofficially "know") The incidents have included hazing, beatings and sexual abuse.

discodumpling

As a football Mom to an almost 16yr old I'm not usually nervous about mandatory camps. But this has me shook. This is my sons 1st year at camp with his HS team. I dont even wanna find out what I would do if he is violated in anyway.