For All Those Who Are Relaxed, Why not Natural?

Prettyinpink00

For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural?

Would you transition now? Why or Why not?

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing?

What Relaxer Do You Use?

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up?
Thanx in advance for responding

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
Prettyinpink00 said:
For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural?peer pressure in middle school.

Would you transition now? Why or Why not?yes if i could find a way to do it w/o ripping my hair out.

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing?ummm, i guess by not doing excessive things.

What Relaxer Do You Use?i keep switching,hopefully affirm will be my staple once i try it.

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up?every 3-4 months.i dust more often though

[/ QUOTE ]

MissB

Re: For All Those Who Are Relaxed, Why not Natural

I have been relaxed since the age of 16. Prior to that my mother or grandmother would press my hair. But, my grandmother had arthritis and my mom had anemia. So, instead of sending me to the salon, they put a box perm in my hair. And I have been relaxed ever since that time.

If I were natural, I would not be able to get the comb through my hair. I guess I would have to wear a TWA.

In order to keep my hair healthy, I do the following:

*Wash weekly. Conditioner wash if time permits.
*Protein Conditioners monthly.
*Deep Condition with heat every two weeks.
*Air Dry or Rollerset. Rarely blowdry.
*Moisturize daily.

My stylist uses Vitale High Comfort relaxer on my hair. I get a touchup every 9 weeks and a trim every 16 weeks.

HTH,

MissB

Tracy

I relaxed when I was younger for modeling pictures. We wanted my pigtails to hang and show all of my length (waist length or damn near back then). I was about 10 or 11.

I've been close to natural since then, but like Miss B, my hair long, and in it's natural state is too much for me to deal with. I choose to keep relaxing mostly because my hair is already pretty long and I don't want to sacrifice the length to go natural (which in my case would be necessary. I could never do a graceful transition like some of these wonderful ladies here. I would need to cut my hair as soon as I was able). Additionally, I want as much of the length I do have to show, and that would never happen on my natural hair. I also generally wear my hair straight, and so to NOT have a relaxer on my hair would mean constant straightening involving heat and I feel on my hair that would be more damaging than just using a chemical a few times a year.

I use Cream of Nature in Mild (lye). I touch up normally every 8-10 weeks. I am trying to make 12 weeks the norm.

I do everything Miss B does to maintain except that I wash and deep condition more often and I use more protein. I have to though, as I also have permanent color in my hair. I trim my own hair, as needed. Normally, that's about 3 times a year.

HTH:)

kitchen_tician

1. Why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural? I like to wear my hair straight more often than not and I would spend sooooo much time and heat trying to make it straight. (DSD helped me realize that at our last meeting)

2. Would you transition now? Why or Why not? I've transitioned before but with a stylist/heat-a-rator and she used super concentrated heat to make it straight and I had lots of breakage. I thought about trying it again since joing LCHF, but as I stated I like my hair straight without lots of effort and as the others have stated, it's just too much to deal with.

3. How do you keep your relaxed hair healthy and growing? I use Professional and quality products. Deep conditioners, Protein Trmts, Hot oil treats, grease, oil and heat every 2 weeks ONLY. See my Hair-tine

4. What Relaxer Do You Use? Affirm Lye Mild every 3 months

5. How often do you get a trim? I trim whenever needed. Normally every 6 months or so, but I'm over 6 months and my ends are still healthy.

Dolce_Dawn

For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural? <font color="blue">I chose to relax b/c it's much easier to deal with my hair this way, i.e. less time consuming. </font>

Would you transition now? Why or Why not? <font color="blue"> I would if it meant no breakage, no BC and same amt of prep time.</font>

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing? <font color="blue"> I keep heat to once a wk, wash wkly and trim when I need it. I try to handle my hair like silk when combing.</font>

What Relaxer Do You Use? <font color="blue"> I use a box perm: Precise No-Lye. </font>

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up? <font color="blue"> I trim anytime I feel I should. That's usually once a month, whether it be for evenness or for split ends. I try to touchup every 6wks. </font>

sengschick

The Bun Master
For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural? <font color="brown">I liked my natural hair, but I couldn't stay that way w/o using heat. It was a lifestyle thing. Relaxing my hair and being able to stay away from heat has helped increase managability, decreased breakage and helped me accumlate inches faster.
</font>

Would you transition now? Why or Why not? <font color="brown">Nope, texturizing is the perfect inbetween for me. My hair isn't bone straight, so it's super flexible in terms of styling, air drying and being incredibly time efficient!
</font>

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing? <font color="brown"> It's really easy. I treat it the same way I did my natural hair, only better, b/c heat is so much more damaging to my hair than the chemical. I get to wash it daily now, so it's staying really moist. And I'm more aware of mild-medium protein use w/greater regularity.</font>

What Relaxer Do You Use? <font color="brown">PhytoRelaxer Index 1 (Mild/No Lye) </font>

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up? <font color="brown">I'm trimming as needed at the moment. If I see a split it goes immediately. Typically 3-4 times per year. Touch-up every 4 mos or so depending on amount of new growth. Last time I went 20 weeks. </font>

candibaby

1: It wasnt my choice to relax my hair, my mother did it to me. Truth be told, I would rather be natural than relaxed, but I'm dealing with it..

2: I actually think I am transitioning. I have an appt for a relaxer on the 28th.. but I dont think I'll get one. Maybe twists or something, I'm almost 5 months post.. and not getting a relaxer doesn't bother me. Even if I decide to get a perm, I do plan on going natural in the future.

I just keep it clean and conditioned.

I use Design Essentials Mild Lye. It's the best!

I used to get a touch up every 7 weeks, but now I am almost at 18wks, and I plan on going at LEAST 14wks between touch ups from now on. I havent had a trim since march but I will be getting one this month.. and I think I'll get a trim whenever I start to see splits.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Prettyinpink00 said:
For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural? <font color="blue"> </font> I like wearing my hair straight more often and my hair is more manageable. <font color="blue"> </font>

Would you transition now? Why or Why not? <font color="blue"> </font> No. Even though I know how to take care of my natural hair, the natural look isn't for me. <font color="blue"> </font>

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing? <font color="blue"> </font> Moisturizing, staying away from heat, protective styling and less manipulation <font color="blue"> </font>

What Relaxer Do You Use? <font color="blue"> </font> Elucence <font color="blue"> </font>

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up? <font color="blue"> </font> 8-10 wks. <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

LEOLADYSW

Prettyinpink00 said:
For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural? I like wearing my hair straight more often and my hair is more manageable.

Would you transition now? Why or Why not? No. Even though I know how to take care of my natural hair, the natural look isn't for me.

How do you kep your relaxed hair healthy and growing? Moisturizing, staying away from heat, protective styling and less manipulation

What Relaxer Do You Use? Elucence

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up? 8-10 wks.

ITA, but I use Mizani medium. I should also say that I relax because I chose to.

northernbelle

For those who have relaxed hair why did u choose to relax rather that stay natural?
My hair has always been straightened, first with a pressing comb, and now, with a relaxer.

Would you transition now? Why or Why not?
No; I like the the versatility of straight hair. Unless of course, I could learn to press my hair as good as my mother. She's a hot comb expert!

How do you keep your relaxed hair healthy and growing?
Moisture, Moisture, Moisture. Protein, Protein, Protein. Protect the ends. Wear hats under strong sun, extreme cold, and strong wind. Wrap hair up at night. Wash one to two times a week. Use heat only on clean, freshly washed and conditioned hair. Invest in quality products and tools. Have relaxer applied by a qualified professional.

What Relaxer Do You Use? Affirm, Mild Strength

and last but not least, how often do you get a trim and touch-up?
Every eight weeks. My natural hair texture is very tight and coily. For me to wait any longer would cause too much shedding and snapping of the hair. I get a dusting when it is needed.

northernbelle