For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

faithVA

I thought it would be great to have a support group for those who color their hair whether it be semi-permanent, demi-permanent, permanent or bleaching. Let me know if there is some other form of color that I missed (not henna or indigo).

We can use this thread to share tips, ask questions and share experiences.

To hang out, please share

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
2. How often you color
3. Your color regimen if any
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
5. Anything else you would like to share.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I used permanent color in 2012 and 2013. I have used semipermanent twice this year. Next year I plan to start using Demipermanent just to deepen my natural color. Maybe add some red. Who knows?

I don't use any special products for color treated hair, but maybe I should start. I used to use Kerastate Chroma riche masque and it was the business. I plan to repurchase it soon

crlsweetie912

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)- Black, Mostly Demi but sometimes semi if my hair is acting up.
2. How often you color- At least once a month now that it's short.....
3. Your color regimen if any-I'm relaxed so if I use the demi I relax, protein/moisture treat (usually aphogee two minute and Motions Moisture plus) then color the following week. If I'm using semi then I do it the same day.
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history- Well off and on for the past 5 years or so. These grays are taking over.
I used to be able to stretch my coloring sessions out longer, but I cut my hair off in May and once I get a trim, the color around the back and sides are gone! It's a never ending cycle.:spinning: One day I will let it go gray but I'm only 41! Not ready for that yet.

lana

Great thread, I would like some info on what to do for about 25 pesky gray strands. I dye them with a semi-permanent rinse with no ammonia or harsh chemicals using Dark & Lovely. If there is anything else out there, please let me know.

It's frustrating because at about the 2 week mark, my gray roots start to show and the color fades from the strand.

I'm too young for gray, ladies.

faithVA

1: Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc): permanent

2. How often you color: every 90 days. I try to only color my roots

a. Wash, let air dry a bit, apply color, shampoo, condition.
b. 4 to 7 days later do a keratin protein treatment
c. Do a keratin protein treatment once a month

I started having permanent color applied at the salon in 2005. I started doing my own color in 2008. I stopped coloring from 2010 through 2012. I tried semi-permanent but it just washed off my hair no matter which brand I tried or how I tried to apply it. So I switched to henna which worked OK but my hair was dry and brittle and I ended up with 3 different colors on my head. My hair was still a mess so I figured I would just go back to permanent. So at the end of 2012 I tried demi-permanent and different permanent colors. Since I only try to color my roots the demi-permanent color would wash off leaving my ends gray which were dry and would get more splits. So I just gave in and switched to permanent.

I've been trying different brands: Naturatint, Herbatint, Shea Moisture.

I bought some Grecian Formula from Canada to see if I can hide my grays that way between coloring. I will test it out at the beginning of the year when my grays start showing.

faithVA

[USER=3864 said:
lana[/USER];20856799]Great thread, I would like some info on what to do for about 25 pesky gray strands. I dye them with a semi-permanent rinse with no ammonia or harsh chemicals using Dark & Lovely. If there is anything else out there, please let me know.

It's frustrating because at about the 2 week mark, my gray roots start to show and the color fades from the strand.

I'm too young for gray, ladies.

We are all too young for gray :yep: I feel your frustration about the short span of color with the semi-permanent.

Since you don't have a lot maybe you can try a touch u stick. This is one of the better ones you can get at Sally's or Amazon.

Perhaps you can try a different shampoo for color treated hair that will help extend the life of your color. What shampoo are you using?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary-color-marker/HRMRKR2,default,pd.html

GettingKinky

1- I just switched from semi to demi permanent yesterday.

2 - I color every 8 weeks

3 - I don't really have a regimen. I go to my stylist for color. So far she just does my roots with the demi, but I'll have to see how it looks as it grows out so we can decide what to do going forward.

I tried semipermanent at home once, but it doesn't last long enough. And I don't trust myself to do demi at home.

4 - I'm not sure how long I've been doing this. At least a year, maybe 2 maybe 3.

5 - I don't want any grays and I'm nervous about having to reprocess my strands with the demi after it washes out. I'd try permanent, but I read that it looks more monochromatic and less natural than semi & demi permanent. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

oneastrocurlie

Permanent

2. How often you color
I don't have a schedule. Whenever the mood strikes me.

I've really been liking Redken's Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo. It's sulfate free too. I also use protein weekly in some form - Aphogee 2 min, Aphoghee Green Tea and Kertain Reconstructor, Komaza Care Protein Strengthener are my go to protein products

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history - First time I colored as a natural was around February 2013. I used Shea Moisture's box color. The color I have now I got in done professionally in July of this year. You can kinda see it in my profile picture.

5. Anything else you would like to share - My color is only at the top of my head but it's been staying moisturized and not breaking off so I'll probably get it retouched in the future.

Renewed1

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc) Semi

2. How often you color twice a year

3. Your color regimen if any None. I just do what I normally do.

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history Maybe two years. The gray really came out of no where. I'm only 38!

PlainJane

- Demi Clairol Natural Instincts

2. How often you color
- around every 4 months

- I haven't had to change anything with my regimen by using color

- don't even get me started on my coloring disasters that happened pre-hair journey :nono: idk how I kept the few inches of hair I had left smh but I've been *safely* coloring my hair for the past 5 years

Right now I'm doing jet black because it's shiny and always looks healthy and silky on me. However, I want to try highlights eventually.

Also, has anyone noticed that the conditioner that comes in the coloring box is the best conditioner in the world!? They take it out the box and sell it on eBay and I'm considering purchasing it and using it exclusively after I finish transitioning.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I use demi. I used to bleach and then do a semi, but I've now found the color I want in demi. I use Redken Shades EQ but thinking of switching to Age Beautiful from Sally's. I like a dark purple/maroon or jet black.

I color pretty sporadically, but usually every 12-16 weeks.

I use the same routine of shampoo and DC once a week.

Been dying my hair off and on for about 10 years. I have no intention of stopping.

Always use sulfate free or color safe shampoo. I really think this alone can make or break a color job.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm in:drunk::drunk:

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc): I use it all. I use semi-perm for the back of my hair and I use permanent color on the front of my hair.
2. How often you color: I use a semi-perm once a month. I use bleach (retouch) about 1-2x's a yr.
3. Your color regimen if any: I really don't have a color reggie. But I've been playing around with bleach and semi-perm. Once you bleach your hair, you can use a rinse in almost any color. So, I've been experimenting with that. I had dyed my hair a honey blond in June and I've been "refreshing" the color with semi-perm.
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history: I've been coloring my hair since I was 19. But I have recently (within the past 3yrs) been bleaching my own hair.
5. Anything else you would like to share: Let's have fun ladies:drunk::drunk:

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm dyeing my hair tomorrow. I will be using Silk Elements Semi-Perm Midnight black. I decided to hold off on bleaching my hair until closer to my birthday and summer. The semi-perm should be gone by the time I'm ready to bleach my hair.

I wanted to dye my hair blue black, but I couldn't find it in a semi-perm.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

I'm dyeing my hair tomorrow. I will be using Silk Elements Semi-Perm Midnight black. I decided to hold off on bleaching my hair until closer to my birthday and summer. The semi-perm should be gone by the time I'm ready to bleach my hair.

Whycome I didn't know silk elements had hair color!

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
OK… Here we go..

1. Form of color- Have used it all, but currently only bleaching and toning.
2. How often you color- when I was using a semi every 4 weeks, now that Im only using bleach, 2x a year.
3. Your color regimen if any- some form of protein on my leave out every two weeks, dc once a week. light creamy moisturizer throughout the week
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history- Ive been coloring since 19 but have been using bleach for the last year and half.
5. Anything else you would like to share. Uhmm,,, I love it. This is the most fun Ive had with my hair.

crlsweetie912

I got the silk elements today. Hope it goes well. It's probably just like Clairol Beautiful collection. Looks almost exactly like it. Oh well.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I got the silk elements today. Hope it goes well. It's probably just like Clairol Beautiful collection. Looks almost exactly like it. Oh well.

They do look the same:lol:!! So far I really like the silk elements semi-perm. I have used there mahogany color and it was pretty good. Only thing is that it was too dark, but after a couple of washes it started to lighten up. I also think that the silk elements last longer than the Clairol. I had been using Clairol's semi perm for years and I accidently bought the silk elements semi-perm cause I thought that it was Clairol:lol:

What color did you purchase?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Ladies, I'm going to upload some hair pics of some colors that I've had. I just got to find them. I might do a "before" and "after" collage. I just have to go through my pics.

Guinan

Re-Branding
ok, I found sum old pics. This is the color that I had this past June/July 2014. I was texlaxed at the time. However, the front of my hair was natural. I only use permanent/bleach on the front of my hair. The length of my hair I use semi-perm.

It was supposed to be honey blond, and strawberry blond every other but my foil technique was horrible so the colors ended up bleeding. I had used crème of nature honey blond every other row and I had mixed my own color using Wella strawberry red with 20 developer.

Attachments

• crystal blonde.jpg
    crystal blonde.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 154
  • cremeofnature.JPG
    cremeofnature.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

crlsweetie912

They do look the same:lol:!! So far I really like the silk elements semi-perm. I have used there mahogany color and it was pretty good. Only thing is that it was too dark, but after a couple of washes it started to lighten up. I also think that the silk elements last longer than the Clairol. I had been using Clairol's semi perm for years and I accidently bought the silk elements semi-perm cause I thought that it was Clairol:lol:

What color did you purchase?
I got the midnight black. These grays are disrespectful!

Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

Permanent (golden blonde, just in the top and crown)
2. How often you color
I just colored for the first time, so I'm not sure how often I will. Maybe once a year?
I exclusively cowash/cleanse with a mud based product. Since I've been doing this, my hair has stayed extremely moisturized and there hasn't been any color fading.
I just started as I stated before.
Surprisingly, I have not been having any issues with moisture retention since I've colored. I love this look. I think as long as my hair can take it, I will keep this area blonde.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
With all that talking, I didn't even dye my hair:lachen: I didn't feel like it b/c I knew I was twisting my hair. Maybe I'll do it next weekend.

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc) Permanent (golden blonde, just in the top and crown) 2. How often you color I just colored for the first time, so I'm not sure how often I will. Maybe once a year? 3. Your color regimen if any I exclusively cowash/cleanse with a mud based product. Since I've been doing this, my hair has stayed extremely moisturized and there hasn't been any color fading. 4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history I just started as I stated before. 5. Anything else you would like to share. Surprisingly, I have not been having any issues with moisture retention since I've colored. I love this look. I think as long as my hair can take it, I will keep this area blonde. Thanks for starting this thread.

What mud base cleanser do you use?

mssoconfused

Thanks pelohello for telling me about this thread! Here is a question I posted in a previous thread and I hope you ladies can help:

So I really want to color my hair blue. Well...blue black with a deep blue tint. A few notes though, I am vehemently against lifting any color off my hair. I'm also against permanent hair colors...I'm thinking semi and demi permanent only.

Question: I've already dyed my hair black with a demi permanent color, does anyone know whether I can put a blue rinse on top of this? Has anyone attempted this before? I'm not adverse to going to the hair dresser and letting a professional do this (thats actually my preference) I just want to know if it can be done and whether someone has had experience with this.

Attached is a pic of the color I really want! (http://sandycolon.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/rihanna-harpers-bazaar-august-2012-2-1.jpeg)

Thanks for any help you might offer!