For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

faithVA

I mixed 3 Tbsp of conditioner with 1 Tbsp of semipermanent color. That worked really well. It was easier to apply. I used less color. It was easier to rinse. It colored more of my grays and the color was more even.

Unfortunately I used Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and my hair was really rough when I rinsed. So next time I will try it with Naturelle Grow's Herbal Blend. I left the color in for 30 minutes on this attempt. But I want to see if it works if I leave it in for only 10 minutes.

deborah11

I have a human hair natural brown pony tail that I need to dye to 1B? Can someone please help me? I know zero about hair color. What should I use to color in order to achieve 1B. I don't want any thing that is complicated with a lot of steps since I am a novice? Thank you all for your help,

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just did my Beyond the Zone Color Jamz rinse in Raspberry Kamikaze. Once the color is done processing I will rinse with cool water and do a quick dc with Kerastase Volumactive conditioner.
I'm thinking about rinsing with this color today. I can dc with Kerastase Chroma Riche or Chroma Captive afterwards (both shine enhancing masks for colored hair).

Maybe I should mix the color with conditioner like @faithVA. That'll make this process quicker.

faithVA

I'm thinking about rinsing with this color today. I can dc with Kerastase Chroma Riche or Chroma Captive afterwards (both shine enhancing masks for colored hair).

The color took better with the conditioner. I'm not sure why. I even washed it and my color held. I have to try it with a different conditioner to make sure it's repeatable.

If you try it let me know.

Maybe I should mix the color with conditioner like @faithVA. That'll make this process quicker.

ajargon02

I have a natural brown pony tail that I need to dye to 1B? Can someone please help me? I know zero about hair color. What should I use to color in order to achieve 1B. I don't want any thing that is complicated with a lot of steps since I am a novice? Thank you all for your help,
Is it human or synthetic?
That will determine the advice you would get.

BrownBetty

Is it human or synthetic?
That will determine the advice you would get.

In the past i have used a semi permanent color. Wash it, while wet apply color, if it is str8 hair you can put it in a plastic bag and microwave it for 3 - 4 minutes, rinse, condition, air dry.

deborah11

In the past i have used a semi permanent color. Wash it, while wet apply color, if it is str8 hair you can put it in a plastic bag and microwave it for 3 - 4 minutes, rinse, condition, air dry.

What specific product did you use--- clairol, jazz, garnier, etc?
What color do I need to use in order to achieve 1B color? I have gone to Sally's and don't see any color box that says 1B COLOR. The salesperson was not helpful at all. She was more interested in talking to another party on her cell phone.
Did you have to mix it with a developer or just use it straight from a box?
Do you mean put the color onto the pony and then microwave it in plastic bag and then rinse color out?
I hope my questions don't seem too dumbSorry but I honestly know nothing about coloring hair!

BrownBetty

What specific product did you use--- clairol, jazz, garnier, etc?
What color do I need to use in order to achieve 1B color? I have gone to Sally's and don't see any color box that says 1B COLOR. The salesperson was not helpful at all. She was more interested in talking to another party on her cell phone.
Did you have to mix it with a developer or just use it straight from a box?
Do you mean put the color onto the pony and then microwave it in plastic bag and then rinse color out?
I hope my questions don't seem too dumbSorry but I honestly know nothing about coloring hair!

-http://www.sallybeauty.com/beautiful-semi-haircolor/CLAIRL15,default,pd.html#q=semi-permanent+hair+color&start=3
Try Darkest Brown or Black... Depends on the color of the ponytail

-No developer just apply, make sure it is covered all the way through

-Yes @ " mean put the color onto the pony and then microwave it in plastic bag and then rinse color out?"

make sure to condition the hair after.

deborah11

Beany

I need to make time this week to dye my hair. I've been putting it off because my hair has been feeling so good. I might get some of those root touch up wands and just cover my greys for awhile. I don't know.

Daina

Covered my grays using SM jet black coloring system...really like the presentation and all the extra goodies they included. I'm a little nervous about damage or changes to my curl pattern but I've heard going darker like black typically causes very little damage. I used Olaplex steps 1 and 2 just to be on the safe side. I will also deep condition and use Olaplex step 3 for the next month as well.

ZapMami

Okay crazy question. I have been graying since I was 21. I was just looking at gossip blogs and I thinking to myself that I never see gray hair on black celebrities--Nia Long, Tracy Ellis Ross, Angela Bassett, Queen Latifah, Janet. And there are even women who are older than me on my job in their 40's some even in their 50's that I never see a gray strand in their hair. Are these people just blessed with good genes or are they touching up roots on a weekly basis?

faithVA

Okay crazy question. I have been graying since I was 21. I was just looking at gossip blogs and I thinking to myself that I never see gray hair on black celebrities--Nia Long, Tracy Ellis Ross, Angela Bassett, Queen Latifah, Janet. And there are even women who are older than me on my job in their 40's some even in their 50's that I never see a gray strand in their hair. Are these people just blessed with good genes or are they touching up roots on a weekly basis?
It could be both. Some people don't gray until very late in life. My and my SO's family are in their 60s and no gray.

Some of the celebrities are probably getting regular color but someone like Nia Long may have not started to gray yet.

Beany

I dyed my hair yesterday. Used SM soft black. Instead of shampoo after rinsing, I used SM curl cleansing cowash then followed up with SM vibrant color recovery masque. In a few days I'll DC and use a protein filler.

deborah11

I am in my mid-50's and have only a few gray hairs. My Mom starting graying in her early 30's and has been dying her hair ever since. I have never colored my hair because the few gray strains that I have are barely visible. I think I take after my father and he didn't start graying until his late 50"s and never had much gray even into his late 60's when he passed away.

Daina

Definitely could be both...the grays I do have you can count. I just don't like that they are in the front around my hairline. When my BFF was doing the color she said I didn't need any through the body of my hair at all. I'm in my early 40's, my mom didn't start turning gray until well into 50's.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Getting the itch to color again. I think the last time I colored was in April iirc. I probably have 2.5-3 inches of new growth depending on the area. I will probably wait until right before Labor Day to color. I plan on going red this time...maybe.

faithVA

After changing my diet my grays don't seem to be coming in as strongly as they were. I'm still gray but its tolerable. So I didn't color tonight. I may color next weekend.

faithVA

What changes have you made?

I'm following a GI Restore diet plan to heal my digestive system. It eliminates dairy, gluten, coffee, excess sugar. I have a fruit/health fat breakfast, 3 vegetable/fruit snacks, and 2 meals of protein, vegetable & complex carb.

Its been less than 2 months but I can tell the difference in my energy level and my ability to process some foods better.

To confirm I asked my SO if he noticed a difference. He said he has. I have 6 more months on this programs so I will just monitor my grays for a while.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
The orange run off from my Manic Panic rinse is driving me crazy (and staining everything in my house). I have orange spots all over my bathroom sink, kitchen sink and a few random spots in the guest restroom from when I let my niece color her hair. I have used Awesome, bleach, baking soda and even my holy grail cleaner Fabuloso. The stains are still there, but slowly getting lighter. I'm not doing anymore bold colors:nono: