For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

GettingKinky

I just had my hair colored yesterday to cover the gray. My stylist uses Demi permanent color with a level 5 developer.

I hate how dry my hair feels right after.

faithVA

I gave up on the henna/indigo. It took forever and the results were never consistent.

I purchased a custom demi-permanent color from eSalon. It arrived Saturday. It said to put on dry hair but I had deep conditioner in so I had to rinse it out. It came in this great packaging. I love that it only requires being in the hair for 15 minutes which is much shorter than the 45 minutes for other colors I have used.

It was easy to apply and it covered all of my grays. I used the shampoo and conditioner that came with the package and my hair felt good after I rinsed.

It is more expensive than other colors but I like that it is customized for my hair. My hair tends to be really dry and this left it feeling good. I would rather pay a little more and have something that works with my hair. I plan to try this for the next few months and see how it works out.

I will post pictures later.

GettingKinky

I gave up on the henna/indigo. It took forever and the results were never consistent.

I purchased a custom demi-permanent color from eSalon. It arrived Saturday. It said to put on dry hair but I had deep conditioner in so I had to rinse it out. It came in this great packaging. I love that it only requires being in the hair for 15 minutes which is much shorter than the 45 minutes for other colors I have used.

It was easy to apply and it covered all of my grays. I used the shampoo and conditioner that came with the package and my hair felt good after I rinsed.

It is more expensive than other colors but I like that it is customized for my hair. My hair tends to be really dry and this left it feeling good. I would rather pay a little more and have something that works with my hair. I plan to try this for the next few months and see how it works out.

I will post pictures later.

I’m sorry to hear that henna/indigo wasn’t working. I keep telling myself that I’m going to try it one day.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
Permanent - Garnier Olia 1.0 Black (3 boxes on APL hair)

2. How often you color
Twice a year (that's the plan)

3. Your color regimen if any
I don't do anything special just follow the instructions on the box followed by deep condition and light blow dry. I used a mixing bowl with a silicone dye brush instead of the bottle that comes with the boxes. Made the process so much easier.

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
I love jet black hair so have been dying it off and on with box dye only.

5. Anything else you would like to share.
I think the permanent color might be too much for my hair. It felt very wiry until I used a deep conditioner since the box conditioner didn't do squat. I like the color but was hoping for a more glossy finish. I'm not brand loyal so any suggestions for an after color deep conditioner of jet black dye are appreciated.

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My scalp is not happy right now. It is so sore! Been dealing with soreness before I dyed my hair but this is concerning. Will attempt henna/indigo next time. Just hoping it will be just as dark.

faithVA

I plan on going permanent soon. I wash my hair too much and the semi only last me two weeks. I may go jet black or dark red.

If you want to test it out, you can try a demi-permanent in between to see if you really want to go permanent or go with that color.

Evolving78

If you want to test it out, you can try a demi-permanent in between to see if you really want to go permanent or go with that color.
I was reading your post and thought about that. I’m locing my hair now and I wash once a week and rinse once a week. You think the Demi will hold up?

pikkonoloidlee

1. Form of color: Semi Permanent mainly in recent years but have also had rinses done in the past as well.
2. How often you color: every 2-6 months (as needed)
3. Your color regimen if any: when I color I apply it, put on a shower cap and leave it in for a few hours then apply a conditioner on top and leave it on overnight. The next morning I do my hair as usual. I find that I get the best longevity and avoid my hair feeling too dry afterwards.
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history: other than some rinses as a child I mainly started coloring my hair in 2012, initially I just bleached but eventually I branched into color as well

I don't have a ton of pictures from over the years but here's some of the colors I've had. Mostly purple because it's my fave. I tried to upload them in chronological order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190825-132134~3-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190825-132134~3-01.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 32
  • hair3-01.jpeg
    hair3-01.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20190825-132123~2-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190825-132123~2-01.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1537645782903-01.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1537645782903-01.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190824_132930-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190824_132930-01.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 33

faithVA

I was reading your post and thought about that. I’m locing my hair now and I wash once a week and rinse once a week. You think the Demi will hold up?
Yes if you get a quality one it should hold up. I don't have any brand recommendations. It should have a neutralize shampoo with it.

Its worth a try. If it doesn't work you can always go permanent.

Evolving78

Yes if you get a quality one it should hold up. I don't have any brand recommendations. It should have a neutralize shampoo with it.

Its worth a try. If it doesn't work you can always go permanent.
I’ll just go permanent. I have used Demi before and it didn’t last.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My scalp is not happy right now. It is so sore! Been dealing with soreness before I dyed my hair but this is concerning. Will attempt henna/indigo next time. Just hoping it will be just as dark.
I have been doing many long scalp massage sessions especially around the crown area where the soreness has been worst. Finally, this evening my scalp is returning to normal. Thank goodness! I will continue to massage my scalp daily, hot oil treatments, deep treatments, and monitoring my hair shedding but so far its just been the soreness. I threw the last box dye out!

VictoriousBrownFlower

1. Form of color: Semi Permanent mainly in recent years but have also had rinses done in the past as well.
2. How often you color: every 2-6 months (as needed)
3. Your color regimen if any: when I color I apply it, put on a shower cap and leave it in for a few hours then apply a conditioner on top and leave it on overnight. The next morning I do my hair as usual. I find that I get the best longevity and avoid my hair feeling too dry afterwards.
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history: other than some rinses as a child I mainly started coloring my hair in 2012, initially I just bleached but eventually I branched into color as well

I don't have a ton of pictures from over the years but here's some of the colors I've had. Mostly purple because it's my fave. I tried to upload them in chronological order.
do u not wash out the color until ur next wash day? i'm getting some joico amethyst purple color and i want the best deposit and longevity...

pikkonoloidlee

do u not wash out the color until ur next wash day? i'm getting some joico amethyst purple color and i want the best deposit and longevity...
Yes I leave it on overnight and wash it out the next morning. I usually don't apply the color until it's closer to when I'll be going to bed. When I would try to leave it on as directed by the packaging or even a couple of hours it faded really quickly. I also notice that less rinses out the next day. As far as applying the conditioner if I'm short on time I'll apply it 20-30 min after putting in the color. I don't notice too big of a difference doing that but I prefer to leave the color on by itself for a bit first.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Mixed the Cinnamon With Cajun Spice. Only applied to the front of my hair.

I’ll rinse it out in a few and then cowash, used APB NEB deep conditioner and steam it in.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey y’all. How can I gently remove a depositing conditioner color? It came out nothing like the color on the bottle. Much darker than I wanted

faithVA

Hey y’all. How can I gently remove a depositing conditioner color? It came out nothing like the color on the bottle. Much darker than I wanted

Do you have a shampoo bar? I found they strip all types of color from my hair. Is it a semi-permanent color? Will it not rinse out after several washes?

Evolving78

It’s starting to fade
Now you know you can use a good ole clear clarifying shampoo! Or use Dawn dish soap, then follow with a moisturizing shampoo. It will take the color right on out. I always say I wash my hair frequently and this neutralizing/clarifying shampoo I use fades my color right away. I use a semi permanent once a month.

Evolving78

I was rocking purple last year. I know the deeper you go, when the color fades, it will go from dark, bright, to light, then silver looking. I only have used adore. I know semi permanent behave a like a protein filler on my hair natural or relaxed. I guess that’s why she applies the conditioner on top?
Just my humble opinion- I would just add a semi permanent to a conditioner and apply that after I shampoo to maintain the color.

Evolving78

I’m going to get a blue black perm color and add a little bit of a deep dark blue to it. I really want the blue to pop in the sun. I want my hair to be dark, so I can still look professional and not too out there, but still be funky!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Now you know you can use a good ole clear clarifying shampoo! Or use Dawn dish soap, then follow with a moisturizing shampoo. It will take the color right on out. I always say I wash my hair frequently and this neutralizing/clarifying shampoo I use fades my color right away. I use a semi permanent once a month.
I don’t want to strip my keratin treatment. I’ll just let it gradually fade...