For My Sistahs Who Are Relaxed and Loving It!!

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Hey!! :grin:

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?
My hair was "jacked up" because I let wannabe hair stylist relax the LIFE out of my hair. I had 1 inch patches of hair when I found LHCF

2. Did you ever transition to natural?
No. Thought about it, but no.

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups?
I use optimum no lye and LUVS it. Lye has not been good to me :nono:

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax?

I do everything myself. Every once in a while I go to the salon for a rollerset

5. What's your regimen?

Relax every 10 - 12 weeks
Wash weekly with Keracare
Deep Condition weekly with ORS pak or aphogee 2 minute
Rollersets weekly
Daily moisturize and seal
Wrap or use flexirods nightly

Last edited:

Luscious Locks

This is a fantastic thread. I love my regi, and my relaxer, and I'm so glad to see other ladies loving it too. I feel pressure to go natural all the time from all these bc threads, and fear of chemicals, but honestly relaxing is style choice for me, and my way of life--it's so easy, sleek, and chic. I've tried going natural, but since I prefer straight styles it's so much better to relax. And I learned that with my fine 4b strands that I can handle a relaxer, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT HANDLE ANY HEAT. The most heat that my relaxed hair can take is from a hood dryer. Or flat iron of my virgin new growth.... To me the turning point for my hair was figuring out that direct heat and relaxers simply do not mix.

This is my experience.

Also, welcome back Slanted Eyez. I'm so glad to see you posting and active again. :)

NYDiva

This is a fantastic thread. I love my regi, and my relaxer, and I'm so glad to see other ladies loving it too. I feel pressure to go natural all the time from all these bc threads, and fear of chemicals, but honestly relaxing is style choice for me, and my way of life--it's so easy, sleek, and chic. I've tried going natural, but since I prefer straight styles it's so much better to relax. And I learned that with my fine 4b strands that I can handle a relaxer, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT HANDLE ANY HEAT. The most heat that my relaxed hair can take is from a hood dryer. Or flat iron of my virgin new growth.... To me the turning point for my hair was figuring out that direct heat and relaxers simply do not mix.

This is my experience.

Also, welcome back Slanted Eyez. I'm so glad to see you posting and active again. :)

I used to think that relaxers didn't work for me, but I now know that I just didn't take proper care of my hair. When I would re-do my relaxers I would always put it on my whole head not just the new growth........so no wonder it always broke off horribly after a while.

I do need to understand what underprocessing is and how to avoid it, though.

Honey Bee

This is my experience.

:yep: This is a very important point.

I'm a fine 4a/b as well. I feel like, a lot of times, what gets lost in the natural vs relaxed threads is that some people's hair just cannot tolerate heat. Therefore, all the versatility of natural hair is moot because, in those particular cases, those people wouldn't be able to straighten safely.

For me, a relaxer every 2 months or so is waaaay less damaging than flat ironing when I want to wear it straight. My hair would crinkle up and die just like it did before, and I'm. not. having. it. :nono:

NYDiva

I thought about this thread again this weekend. i've been putting my hair up for the last months and just had it braided. tried to do a length check, but couldn't seem to get my hair straight enough for my liking. still going to wait till i hit apl before i consider relaxing, though.

candita

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?
When I was like 8-9, I had a wave nouveau but otherwise, I've been relaxed for as long as I can remember. I had some hair problems - when I was twelve my mom used a relaxer on me that was so harsh, it made my hair break off to the point where the kids in my class referred to me as "Fro" (which triggered a phobia of short hair that I still have). My hair was also really dry and brittle during my college years due to lack of time to care for it.

No, going natural is something that just never appealed to me (dodges stones)

Revlon Lye (regular or super) every 6-8 weeks. I know, I know, but I can't stretch. I can't do it. Lost more hair when I attempted to stretch. I've tried several times - it just makes my hair a matted mess and my new growth is so dry i can't style it.

I was getting it done at a salon in SF but due to economic times (Broke As Hellness), I usually make do it myself or have my mom do it (I know, that's sad but she offers! LOL)

5. What's your regimen?
I don't have a steady regimen. If I'm wearing my hair down, I'll wash, deep condition, air-dry to about 60-70% then flat-iron. If I'm pony-tailing it (usually when I'm getting to the 6-8 week post mark), I wash every 2-3 days. I try to stick with shampoos without sulfates (which gets my hair matted) and thick conditioners. I use the coconut oil for hair treatments from Tropical Traditions as a pre-poo that makes my hair feel like butter and the Redken Hair Cleansing Cream every two weeks to clarify. The coconut oil has helped with the new growth and helps me get to the 8 weeks post point. At night, I go back and forth between wearing a baggie filled with almond oil or jojoba oil and wrapping my hair. I'm not a huge fan of wrapping as it makes my scalp really tender, even when I consciously try to keep the scarf on lose.

Last edited:

Luscious850

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I have been relaxed since age 9. My mother decided to relax my hair for some unknown reason I wasn't upset about it at all, I was quite excited. My mother was a cosmetologist so I never had to worry about doing my hair myself. She passed when I was 15 so I had to work with my hair on my own. I learned how to maintain my hair myself from her before she passed but of course I was still young and undereducated when it came to hair. I would go to the salon and get a relaxer every 4-6 weeks religiously unless I was in braids, which in that case would be much worse because I wouldn't touch it at all during those periods.
2. Did you ever transition to natural? No, I thought about it when I saw all my friends doing it up but it's really just not me. I do plan on going natural and dreading my hair but that is when I am much older.
3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? I use Organic Root Stimulator at the moment but I plan on switching back to Mizani Butter Blends
4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? I am a certified Do It Yourself(er) I love to do my hair!
5. What's your regimen? I wash and DC/roller set weekly and I moisturize/seal daily. I relax every 16 weeks.

I just recently cut my hair to NL to get a fresh start. I can't wait for 2011. Good luck on the journey OP!:)

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

I have been relaxed off and on for the last 12 years or so. Yes, my hair has suffered at one time or another; not because I was relaxed, but because I had bad hair habits in general i.e. frequent direct heat, not DCing, "moisturizing" with mineral oil or cone based products, not PSing etc.

Twice, about 8 months each time.I stayed natural the first time for about 3 years.

Currently I use Revlon realistic in mild. On average, I TU 2-3x times a year. I am currently working my way to 1x per year.

I self relax.

5. What's your regimen?

1-2x a week:
- pre-poo with a ceramide containing oil

- shampoo with ORS neut. poo

- apply Roux Porosity Control conditioner for 2 minutes

- Apply a light/med protein tx (current rotation: Aphogee 2 minute re-constructor, Alfaparf rigen, AO Island naturals)

-Apply a moisturzing DC (current rotation:ORS replensishing, Matrix Ultra Hydrating balm, AOWC Taliah Waajid herbal enhanicing condish)

- Airdry ,apply S-curl, seal with ceramide oil or my ceramide grease mix

I use henna about 1x a month, my hair is in a bun most of the time.

greight

Bumping and subscribing...

I'm natural now and while I love my natural hair, I'd love it to do a straight style without the heat damage. I have fine hair and relaxers weren't bad... I'd just prefer texlax or underprocessing the hair so there'll be some texture to it. I'd stretch it via roller sets.

sunnieb

Another Relaxed and Loving It Sistah checkin' In! :grin:

I've been relaxed since I was in elementary school. I don't know what my scalp is made of, but I don't burn or get get scabs. No matter how long I've let relaxer sit on my hair! :lol: My hair broke off and was dry as all get out because of lack of knowledge and the wrong products (um, Moisture Max does NOT provide moisture!). I'm lucky that I was able to maintain a decent looking NL to SL regardless.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? Nope.

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp every 14 weeks. Aiming to go every 16 weeks if I can.

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? Salon (ETA: I'm a self-relaxer as of March 2011! :grin:)

5. What's your regimen? Cowash 2x a week; Shampoo/dc 2x a week; Moisturize and Seal 2x daily; Bun 4x a week.

I also let my stylist do all my trims because she knows the meaning of a trim. :yep: (ETA: Not anymore, I do all my trims at home now!)

Last edited:

NYDiva

I had to revisit this thread and go over the regimens. I've decided to go ahead and relax my hair. I'm about an inch or so from APL, but I'll find out for sure after relaxing. I purchased Phyto Index 2 off of Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll either have help applying it tomorrow or Thursday night. I know I'll miss my fro...........................but it's time!

isobell

I had to revisit this thread and go over the regimens. I've decided to go ahead and relax my hair. I'm about an inch or so from APL, but I'll find out for sure after relaxing. I purchased Phyto Index 2 off of Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll either have help applying it tomorrow or Thursday night. I know I'll miss my fro...........................but it's time!

Phyto is a great relaxer but a word of caution; make sure to neutralize very well, for some reason in the past i found phyto hard to neutralize and would end up with dry hair. a good way to make sure it's adequately neutralized is to lather up with the neutralizing shampoo and leave it in for 3-5 mins before rinsing (2-3X). of course when done follow up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner. i.e. silk elements moisturizing treatment. hope you have a great experience!

EbonyCPrincess

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? Um...my hair has always been healthy while relaxed until I moved from my home state. First a change in environment led to stress...then someone gave me a BAD touchup. But before and after that, my relaxed hair has always been healthy, thick and full.

Yes. I was natural until age 14, relaxed through high school, transitioned unintentionally senior year in high school. Basically I got braids for basketball season, kept getting them and didn't want to relax in between sessions...eventually I wound up completely natural.

Mizani No-Lye Sensitive Scalp Relaxer

Salon!!!! Thank you lord for a great stylist.

5. What's your regimen?
http://longing4length.blogspot.com/p/my-hair-regimen.html

Great thread, lots of good info!

7thirty89

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I got my first relaxer when I was in 5th grade, my hair was healthy until I started " taking care" of it myself. I only mositurized when I washed it every 2 weeks , and called myself conditioning by using a 2 in one shampoo & conditioner. smh.. I also used a flat iron almost everyday and used a hot comb to straighten new growth.. it sounds so scary thinking about all that.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? I transitioned twice! first time transitioned by wearing braids in 7th grade to 9th grade. my hair was a full shoulder length, but of course I fried it with heat and relaxers every 5 to 6 weeks.. 2nd time was last year and I just relaxed last month. my hair has never been healthier and I'm determined to keep it this way!

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? alter ego, I plan on touching up no earlier than 9 weeks, but 12 is my goal.

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? I go to a dominican salon, and make them skip the 5000 degree flat iron.

5. What's your regimen? wash and deep condition weekly. moisturize and seal daily. I just started using a sulpher growth aid at least every other day with a scalp massage. no direct heat, either I rollerset or dry in a ponytail with hood dryer. I wear buns daily. I will most likely let my hair down on weekends once I past APL.

Last edited:

Mische

In 2006, I got my first away-from-home relaxer at the hands of my mother's new stylist. I had bad scalp burns for the first time in my life...but I kept going. A couple years later I had a huge setback. I didn't properly detangle before one relaxer and ended up with a dreadlocked mess once the neutralizing process was finished. After detangling I had lost a considerable amount of length and thickness. There was a ball of hair the size of a small poodle sitting on the back of the sink.

No. I've considered it, but I really enjoy my relaxed hair.

I use Mizani Butter Blends Lye in Medium/Regular every 12 weeks. If there's one thing I'm grateful to my stylist for, it's introducing me to Mizani. Before her, my mother was using the store bought boxed no-lye on my head.

I went to the salon from 2006-2010. Before and after that I have relaxed at home by the only other person trusted in my head--my mom. Due to her "technique" my hair still has a bit of curl pattern left now, but I actually love it. My hair is sooo thick and full after a relaxer it's ridiculous.

5. What's your regimen?

1x a week pre-poo with Nutiva unrefined coconut oil. While letting this soak, I pre-part my hair in sections to wash and proceed to lightly detangle with my fingers and/or my wide tooth Hercules Sagemann.

1x a week shampoo with Organix Coconut Shampoo. Then rinse and apply Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor. After rinsing this, I apply my deep conditioner (hair still in the pre-parted sections) and either sit under the dryer for 30 minutes or lounge around the house for an hour with a cap and towel around my head. Right now I am DCing with SSI Avocado. Banana Brulee was my staple, but I get much more slip with Avocado and it smells better, so BB has been shelfed for the foreseeable future. :lol:

I detangle my hair after the conditioner has had a chance to do its work. Then I rinse and apply my leave in (SSI Coco Cream) and seal with Vatika Frosting. I typically braid my hair in 6-8 braids and airdry at this point. After a fresh relaxer I will use my blowdryer with comb attachment. This summer I am going to try to do airdryed rollersets.

During the week, I moisturize and seal twice a day. My daily moisturizer is Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongraass Transitioning Creme. I then seal with Hairveda Vatika Frosting which I have to stop myself from eating on a daily basis. I wear my hair down every day. The only time it goes up is if I am about to drive or lounging around the house. I am very happy with my retention, so I see no reason to hide my hair.

kibbles318

Thanks to whoever bumped this.. I haven't had a relaxer since Dec. 13 and I'm planning to relax
June/July-ish...

I need to research this Phyto..

chrstndiva

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? Yes. I used to be very fortunate and always had a great stylist who took care of my hair. I basically did what they told me to do and had great healthy hair. I kept it at APL. I moved and unfortunately could not find a decent stylist. The last stylist I used caused me major breakage. I had chunks of broken off hair at SL and NL.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? I tried once. I went 5 months and then relaxed, because it became too time consuming to keep up. I had a demanding job with some travel and I found myself using too much of my free time to deal with my hair.

I use Phytospecific relaxer Index 2. I relax every 10 - 14 weeks.

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? I self relax. I found great articles from Sistaslick and information from LHCF and other hair boards to learn how to do it myself. I am very distrustful of stylists right now, especially since my hair is thriving without them.

5. What's your regimen?
Co-wash 1x week ( I work out so I have to.)
Use cleansing conditioner (Hair One) 1x week.
DC 1x week.
Moisturize and seal every morning and every night.
Clarify/chelate every 3-4 weeks.
Only use light protein as needed.
Color my hair on relaxer day and touch up every 6 weeks or as needed using a semi-permanent color with no peroxide and no ammonia.
Trim using search and destroy method as needed.
PS M-F and wear my hair down on the weekends.
Sleep on satin pillowcase with satin scarf or bonnet

MissMusic

I have been relaxed about 4 years now. My hair was doin fine, I reached WL, until I went a new stylist to get a touch up and she applied relaxer incorrectly to my hair, so it broke off so badly that I had to cut back up to above SL. However, I have bounced back and my hair is somewhere past SL again.

I never transitioned, but I was natural for years and years. I loved my natural hair, and I am sure I will go back to it once I get sick of relaxing, but for now I like the ease of my relaxed hair

I relax with Affirm Sensitive Scalp every 6 months

Both

5. What's your regimen?
I wash once a week. I moisturize as necessary (usually every 2-3 days), and I co-wash as necessary. I am an avid exerciser, so sometimes in the summer months I need to co-wash to keep the sweat at bay.

Hope this helps!!!

NYDiva

Hey NYDiva where are the updates! The suspense is killing me :perplexed I hope your relaxer experiense went well.

Sorry, I missed the UPS guy yesterday and had to go to their facility to pick up my Phyto. I have to admit, I am SSScared! I'll probably end up doing it myself. I've been trying to read up on everything I can get my hands on to make sure I do it right. I've read and re-read Sistaslick's (?) article on relaxing and plan to use Aphogee's 2 minute as a mid-step, and I bought Joico's moisturizing balm to use after neutralizing. I just don't want to mess up 2 1/2 years worth of patience in less than 30 minutes. :perplexed But It's getting done today.

Your Cheeziness

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? Yes, my hair was a charbroiled steaming mess prior to my hhj in 2008. Just ***** for no reason.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? Yes, I eventually got my hair very healthy when it was relaxed between 08-10 and went natural for 10 months. I just recently got a virgin relaxer.

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Mizani Butter Blends Sensitive Scalp. I'm undecided on my relaxer schedule. I'll probably relax as needed.

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? Salon. I don't play with chemicals. For the most consistent results, I have a trusted stylist.

5. What's your regimen?
Shampoo - KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
Condition - Mizani Moisturefuse mixed with CHI Infra
Towel Dry
CHI Straight Guard
Blow dry with paddle brush
Light mist of oil sheen and finish blow drying
Sally GVP Biosilk Serum (lightly applied in sections)
Flat iron with GHD Classic
I pincurl or roll dry on flexirods at night and rarely add product during the week.
I do this regimen about every 8 days or so.

4evershika

I'm sure my hair suffered but I've never really had "DAMAGED" hair just short hair that is prone to dryness.

Nope!

Right now I am using Silk Elements with Shea Butter but I plan on trying Mizani for my next relaxer to see if there is a difference.

I self relax

5. What's your regimen?
Pretty simple... clarify 1x every 2wks, wash once a week, DC 1-2 times a week, M&S daily

NYDiva

Relaxed 1.jpg

relaxed2.jpg

I hope this worked! I finally relaxed and must say that i am pleased with the results, ended up leaving it in for 17 minutes total, and thought that I'd blown it and left it in way too long because of how straight it was when I was rinsing it out. But after it dried it felt really good!:yep: