For the Ladies with Locs

Meadow

I was sitting among some of my classmates and one of them saw a picture on my phone of a lady with locs. She asked,

"Is that a family member?"
I replied, “No. This is a picture of the size and look of how I want my locs to be."
She said, “Will you miss your real hair?"
"Umm no, this IS my real hair that is getting locked."
"No I mean your real loose hair. Will you miss styling it?"
"Umm, I will be able to style these. Although they are locs, they can still be styled just like loose hair. These in the picture are sisterlocks. They offer a wide range of options, and regular traditional locks can be styled too."
"How can you go weeks without washing your hair?"
"You don't have to go weeks without washing your hair if you don't want too. That is usually only required when you first get traditional locs to keep them from unraveling. It depends on the person and the hair texture. It doesn't mean they are nasty, they are just protecting their time and investment."

(Silence)

I did not know that there was so much confusion about locs in my life! My mom asked me the same thing; will you miss your loose hair? What if you want to take them down? And my sister said that I won't get hired for another professional job if I get locs. Blah Blah Blah. Do any of the locked sisters out there experience this negativity often?

I got my test sisterlocks Friday, and I can't wait to get the rest done. But dang, now I know that I will encounter a lot of loc confused people out there. This will not stop me from getting my locs though. I think they are all beautiful and almost carefree. Locs symbolize hair freedom to me, and I want to feel that.

Evolving78

how are your locs doing? i love locs, when i decide to go back the natural route, i will be getting them again. i don't know if i would go the sisterlocks route, but i do love the grid pattern that is used.

Atdow71

I had locs for 10 yrs and yes, there's a lot of misconception out there like:
Can you wash your hair with those things?:ohwell: those things
Do you use beeswax?:ohwell:
Can you take one down, I want to see your hair:ohwell:
I started washing my hair every week so there was no way that I was going to twist my hair weekly. Whenever I'd twist my hair I'd get compliments galore nd people telling me I should twist more often.:ohwell: these were people who didn't know anything about locs telling me that I should twist more often. I always had to break it down- I'd rather have clean hair, than well manicured hair. See my edges? Yeah, I have edges, and I've never lost a loc due to damage caused by over twisting.
People love to pull or touch your hair and they're surprised when you can feel it:lachen:
My locs reached waist length, but people assumed that after having locs for 10 yrs, they should be down to my ankles:ohwell: