For the texturized ladies

Hey Ladies,

I really like the texturized look and I've been thinking about texturizing myself, but I don't have enough information, so I want your input please. Do I first have to go natural in order to texturize? If I texturize my relaxed head, will I just end up with underprocessed hair? how do you wear your hair curly or straight? I really want to have curls, and do texturizers look better on a certain hair type? I'm 4a and when i texturize do I just use a mild relaxer for 10-15 minutes?

alibi

hair bored
IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
Hey Ladies,

I really like the texturized look and I've been thinking about texturizing myself, but I don't have enough information, so I want your input please. Do I first have to go natural in order to texturize? If I texturize my relaxed head, will I just end up with underprocessed hair? how do you wear your hair curly or straight? I really want to have curls, and do texturizers look better on a certain hair type? I'm 4a and when i texturize do I just use a mild relaxer for 10-15 minutes?

Hey IIB,

I'm natural, not texturized, but I'll try to answer your questions:

1. No, you don't have to go natural first to texturize. You can transition from a relaxer to a texturizer, but you can only texturize your new growth, not the part that's already relaxed.

2. There's no such thing as texturizing relaxed hair, if it's already straight, you'll only over process the relaxed parts. Relaxing is the process of making kinky curly hair straight. All a texurizer is is a relaxer left on for a shorter amount of time, so that is doesn't fully straighten the hair, leaving it with some coil/curl. But once the hair is straightened, it will not go back to being curly.

3. You can try defusing your hair with a product like John Frieda's Dream Curls to see if you can coax some curl back into the relaxed part and see how you like it. If you want your hair straight you should try a ceramic flat iron or a roller set. Wrap your hair after either, and it should be nice and straight. :yep:

4. Texturizers work best on ppl who already have some type of natural curl pattern, b/c all a texturizer does is loosen the curl that you already have. If you do not have any curl pattern, like mose 4b's, then a texturizer will only make your hair frizzy. You should be fine though b/c 4a should have some type of curl/coil to it.

5. I don't advise self-texturizing unless you really know what you're doing, b/c it's very easy to over process. 10-15 minutes is WAY to long to leave a relaxer on for texturizing - my hair would be bone straight in that amount of time! If you're going to do it yourself, you should always do a strand test first. Curlycurly is texturized, and she always tells ppl to do a strand test first. She even used to have pics in her album on how to do it. Modelchick and a few others are also texturized, so you might want to pm one of them. Also, do a search on texturizers, b/c there's TONS of info on this site about them. Lastly, if you want to see good before and after pics of texturized heads, go to the before and after section of www.curvesalon.com Hope this helps! ;)

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
Hey Ladies,

Hey :wave:

Texturized gal checking in.

From what I understand it is not safe to apply a texturizer to relaxed hair. However, you can try to stretch out your relaxers as much as possible and whenever you have alot of new growth then you apply a mild texturizing relaxer or a mild relaxer to the new growth only. While you continue to do this you cut off the relax ends as you go along. If you texturize your relax hair you will experience serious breakage, damage and it will not be curly.

I wear my hair curly all the time because I don't like straight hair. However, you can have the best of both worlds but I just have not had the urge to wear it straight.

Well, I have 4A/4B hair and when I texturize my hair the texture changes to a 3C. I think it all depends on how long you leave the texturizer on that will determine the out come (curly or wavy). I used Design Touch mild texturizing relaxer to texturize my hair and the instruction stated that it should be left on for 15- 25 minutes but do not exceed 30 minutes. After I apply it to my hair for 25 minutes my hair becomes curly instead of wavy. I would advice you to do a strand test before you attempt to do your entire hair to prevent any overprocessing.

I hope you will be happy with whatever decision you make.

Last edited: