For those wanting long hair...

deedoswell

@Niknak20

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. :)

It sounds like you're doing well with your regimen, and you aren't experiencing any breakage, so that's a good thing.

Maybe some of the members that do two strand twists can chime in about that question.

I take efas (have been taking them for years), and this seems to be keeping my scalp in check. Not sure why your scalp is so itchy. Are you experiencing any product build up on your scalp? Is this all the time, when you have braids, when you don't have braids or what? Hopefully you aren't allergic to anything you're using on your hair / scalp.

Allandra, what is "efas"? Is it Essential Fatty Acids? Such as Fish Oil? Sorry - remember now - I'm new! :)

Blessedwithabundance14

I am currently WL and am shooting for HL and beyond if possible. Did you keep your regi the same to reach these type of lengths. I also dust my ends every 3 to 4 months and have issues with split ends sometimes. Is there anything in particular you do to prevent them? I only flat iron every 4 to 5 months, PS buns, wash every 2 weeks. I also Moisturize and seal every 2 days or if it feels a little dry. Thanks for the great thread!

Niknak20

Allandra said:
Niknak20

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. :)

It sounds like you're doing well with your regimen, and you aren't experiencing any breakage, so that's a good thing.

Maybe some of the members that do two strand twists can chime in about that question.

I take efas (have been taking them for years), and this seems to be keeping my scalp in check. Not sure why your scalp is so itchy. Are you experiencing any product build up on your scalp? Is this all the time, when you have braids, when you don't have braids or what? Hopefully you aren't allergic to anything you're using on your hair / scalp.

Thx for the feedback I do appreciate it. Allergies never crossed my mind. If I am how do I pin point what I'm allergic too? It's a possibility but before I went natural I had an itchy scalp due to dandruff. But I haven't had a prob w/dandruff since I've stopped perming my hair so idk. I have fish oil at home. I'll start taking that too. I don't think I'm experiencing build up. I try to keep it simple, and I shampoo or cowash weekly. When I first started I was a shameless product junkie lol. But now I've realized less is best for my pockets and hair :) my scalp is itchy with or w/o braids.

Allandra

I am currently WL and am shooting for HL and beyond if possible. Did you keep your regi the same to reach these type of lengths. I also dust my ends every 3 to 4 months and have issues with split ends sometimes. Is there anything in particular you do to prevent them? I only flat iron every 4 to 5 months, PS buns, wash every 2 weeks. I also Moisturize and seal every 2 days or if it feels a little dry. Thanks for the great thread!

ShawnC

I've been pretty consistent with my regimen. I wear protective styles a lot, and that keeps my ends happy.

You're welcome. :)

Allandra

Thx for the feedback I do appreciate it. Allergies never crossed my mind. If I am how do I pin point what I'm allergic too? It's a possibility but before I went natural I had an itchy scalp due to dandruff. But I haven't had a prob w/dandruff since I've stopped perming my hair so idk. I have fish oil at home. I'll start taking that too. I don't think I'm experiencing build up. I try to keep it simple, and I shampoo or cowash weekly. When I first started I was a shameless product junkie lol. But now I've realized less is best for my pockets and hair :) my scalp is itchy with or w/o braids.
Niknak20

I'm not exactly sure about that (maybe an allergy doctor). I've never had any scalp allergies. Are you using fake hair for your braids or just your braids? There are people that are allergic to fake hair (the chemicals in it).

Niknak20

Allandra said:
Niknak20

I'm not exactly sure about that (maybe an allergy doctor). I've never had any scalp allergies. Are you using fake hair for your braids or just your braids? There are people that are allergic to fake hair (the chemicals in it).

I'll look into the allergy thing concerning a doctor. For my braids I do use fake hair, I never thought it'd be a problem. I'll also start monitoring when my scalp itches to see if it's something I'm using since my scalp itches w/o braids too.

Zaynab

I've lurked in this thread off and on and I didn't post because I had nothing to contribute. As usual, I have no regimen but I want to get back to WL. I'm about between BSL and WL, was at WL the end of last year, ends got nasty..cut off too much. Anyway, I don't know how to I got to WL because I'm lazy about my hair and I use too much heat. I just don't like curly hair and I don't think co-washing is working out for me like it used to. I co-washed last summer and lost more hair than I gained ( I think because hair was getting to dry, tangled, etc)

What I need are some styles I can wear straight and not have to blowdry or rollerset b/c I can't rollerset. I'm asking for alot :lol: right now I've been blow drying, flat ironing every two weeks until I wash again. I have been pincurling until the next time I blow dry. I'd like to just stop blowdrying all together. I'm just lazy I think. I want to get back to WL and just stay.

Allandra

I've lurked in this thread off and on and I didn't post because I had nothing to contribute. As usual, I have no regimen but I want to get back to WL. I'm about between BSL and WL, was at WL the end of last year, ends got nasty..cut off too much. Anyway, I don't know how to I got to WL because I'm lazy about my hair and I use too much heat. I just don't like curly hair and I don't think co-washing is working out for me like it used to. I co-washed last summer and lost more hair than I gained ( I think because hair was getting to dry, tangled, etc)

What I need are some styles I can wear straight and not have to blowdry or rollerset b/c I can't rollerset. I'm asking for alot :lol: right now I've been blow drying, flat ironing every two weeks until I wash again. I have been pincurling until the next time I blow dry. I'd like to just stop blowdrying all together. I'm just lazy I think. I want to get back to WL and just stay.
Zaynab

I think creating a simple regimen would help you out a lot (and can be a good starting point).

So, you want straight styles, but you don't want to blow dry or roller set? Yep, you're asking for a lot. :lol:

Zaynab

Zaynab

I think creating a simple regimen would help you out a lot (and can be a good starting point).

So, you want straight styles, but you don't want to blow dry or roller set? Yep, you're asking for a lot. :lol:

I keep saying I might try some air drying or banding. I just haven't been able to research that yet. Well heck and the search function is down:lol: so there's my current excuse. I don't have to get it bone straight but I would like it more straight than curly.

Allandra

I keep saying I might try some air drying or banding. I just haven't been able to research that yet. Well heck and the search function is down:lol: so there's my current excuse. I don't have to get it bone straight but I would like it more straight than curly.
Zaynab

Well, banding will stretch it out. Give that a try.

gospelglamgirl

diluted shampoo is def a great route. shampoo has soooooooooo much detergent in it that it can be diluted with no problem and still get your hair really clean. glad you discovered that. it will save you lots of stress.:yep:
I hate washing my hair in the shower too. I usually warm up distilled water. For other bottled water users stay away from that baby nursery water. It messed up my hair so bad, like 3-1/2 years ago...had to cut 18" down to 1" cuz of tangles!!!

Thankfully I got it to grow back. Zephyr Hills is good. It eases tangles and softens - and I have some kinky hair! I'm natural many years and still counting! Creme of Nature is all I use...no conditioner.

caribeandiva

Human being
To gain lenght: I went natural, DC with moisturizing conditioners after EVERY wash. Use heat carefully and sparingly and detangle very carefully. So far so good!

Shadiyah

OMG!!! I got it backwards and you all didn't catch that one. When your hair snaps it is because you have too much protein and not enough moisture. I don't know how that is because I deep condition with moisturizing conditioners and co wash with moisturizing conditioners I use a pre poo that is very moisturizing. How am I not getting enough moisture????? Please help me with this one.

lushcoils

OMG!!! I got it backwards and you all didn't catch that one. When your hair snaps it is because you have too much protein and not enough moisture. I don't know how that is because I deep condition with moisturizing conditioners and co wash with moisturizing conditioners I use a pre poo that is very moisturizing. How am I not getting enough moisture????? Please help me with this one.

I'm wondering the same thing for my hair.

Zaynab

Zaynab
...What about Youtube? I am sure there are plenty of tutorials regarding banding.

Garner thanks I hadn't thought of that!! will check it out!

I just wonder do people have success with banding to almost straight hair and then what do they do after? I'm so lazy ya'll. But I'm gonna do better.

Zaynab

Does anyone pre-poo and with what products? sorry I can't search:look: The main issue for me when I wear my hair curly is when it's time to wash again, I don't detangle well and I think I lose hair. I need a good detangler and need to try this pre-poo people speak of.

Allandra why have I been on the hair boards all these years and am still such a hair failure? :lol:

Allandra

Does anyone pre-poo and with what products? sorry I can't search:look: The main issue for me when I wear my hair curly is when it's time to wash again, I don't detangle well and I think I lose hair. I need a good detangler and need to try this pre-poo people speak of.

@Allandra why have I been on the hair boards all these years and am still such a hair failure? :lol:
Zaynab

:giggle:

I sometimes deep condition my hair on dry hair (aka prior to shampooing) with my Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner.

Allandra

Shadiyah

Hopefully some of the members that have had this issue will chime in.

Garner

Garner thanks I hadn't thought of that!! will check it out!

I just wonder do people have success with banding to almost straight hair and then what do they do after? I'm so lazy ya'll. But I'm gonna do better.

Zaynab...You can also do as Naptural85 does, she will twist, pull the twists to the opposite side and pin. She also stretches with curlformers and flexirods and has styles obtained after stretching. Summyr1988 uses a ribbon to lengthen her twists. There are several alternatives.

BTW...you are not a hair failure. Do not claim that. Learning is constant in this journey. :yep:

Garner

Allandra...I love your ponytail with the 4 twists!!! So cute!!!

How are the ends protected at the bottom? What type of elastic did you use to fasten? Was this achieved on wet hair?

Allandra

@Allandra...I love your ponytail with the 4 twists!!! So cute!!!

How are the ends protected at the bottom? What type of elastic did you use to fasten? Was this achieved on wet hair?
Garner

Thanks.

There's nothing on the ends (hair is just curly on the end, that's all). A jumbo ouchless elastic (without any metal) was used. All of my natural styles are done on wet hair. I would never let anyone work on my natural dry hair (never, ever).

Zaynab

Zaynab...You can also do as Naptural85 does, she will twist, pull the twists to the opposite side and pin. She also stretches with curlformers and flexirods and has styles obtained after stretching. Summyr1988 uses a ribbon to lengthen her twists. There are several alternatives.

BTW...you are not a hair failure. Do not claim that. Learning is constant in this journey. :yep:

You're so awesome, thanks!! I'm gonna look them up and look on youtube

just me picking on myself :grin:I don't know how I get my hair to grow to WL because I'm so slack but I'm gonna do better. I was once a FOTM, I could do better:lol:

Shadiyah

Allandra why have I been on the hair boards all these years and am still such a hair failure? :lol:

Zaynab the pre poo I use is alea vera juice with olive oil and sit under a plastic cap for as long as I want and then I shampoo and deep condition. I detangle while the conditioner is in my hair and if I really have a hard time I use my demand brush and start at the ends and up the hair.

Shadiyah

I think you may have said your hair type but this is what I think would help for you. hairveda whipped creme and apply it while your hair is damp and put your hair in bantu knots and let it airdry. they do wonders as far as getting the hair straight. and then you can do your updo. oh don't forget youtube very very helpful.