For those wanting long hair...

janeemat

Thanks for posting this thread. I just recently have had an "ah hah" moment with my hair. After all of these years on this forum, I have finally figured out my hair and what it likes. I have pretty much stuck with the same regimen and products the last year. No more jumping on band wagons and flipping back and forth with products. I work with my hair and not against it. My ah hah moment came when I realized that at around 8wks post if I just let my hair hang and dry under the hooded dryer, it was much easier to detangle than trying to detangle 8 wks ng and rolleset it. Adding a few rollers in it after it mostly dry was much better and less stress on the hair. Also, if I am protective styling such as in a bun, just put it in the bun and leave it alone for 5-7 days. Forget that midweek/cowash and handle the bun enough to moisturize/oil the ends and let it be.

Oh, and btw, you hair is simply beautiful.

Allandra

Thanks for posting this thread. I just recently have had an "ah hah" moment with my hair. After all of these years on this forum, I have finally figured out my hair and what it likes. I have pretty much stuck with the same regimen and products the last year. No more jumping on band wagons and flipping back and forth with products. I work with my hair and not against it. My ah hah moment came when I realized that at around 8wks post if I just let my hair hang and dry under the hooded dryer, it was much easier to detangle than trying to detangle 8 wks ng and rolleset it. Adding a few rollers in it after it mostly dry was much better and less stress on the hair. Also, if I am protective styling such as in a bun, just put it in the bun and leave it alone for 5-7 days. Forget that midweek/cowash and handle the bun enough to moisturize/oil the ends and let it be.

Oh, and btw, you hair is simply beautiful.
Thanks for the compliment hun.

Isn't it wonderful when you find out what works for your hair? I remember when I first started joining internet hair boards (in 1999). I was a product junkie. Well, it didn't take long for me to get over that and find the products that work for my hair. I'm glad leaving your hair alone for 5 to 7 days works for you (I absolutely love it). I think less is more. Keeping it simple is great.

GIJane

I pre-poo using AVJ, castor oil and brahmi oil. I wash my hair in Celie like box braids using a poo bar. DC w/ ayurveda (sp?) powders mixed with conditioner. Rinse out. Then use aussie moist and avj as a leave in. This is done once a week.

Moisturize w/ water & AVJ. Then seal with castor oil. Everday.
Baggy ever other night. Or if my hair is feeling really dry I just baggy under a wig.

Once the braids start looking old and wear a wig over them.

I usually get the braids in for 2-3 weeks. Then redo them.

Allandra

I believe I've responded to everyone's initial post in this thread. If I left anyone out, it was not intentional, just let me know so I can respond. :)

ItsMeFre

I've been washing and deep conditioning weekly. I moisturizer and seal morning and night (because this winter has been very drying). I also bun a lot. I have only been using heat every other month but I think I will start flat ironing twice a week on very low heat to avoid the ssk and split ends.

This has been working so far but I'm due for a length check today or tomorrow so we'll see.

Allandra

I've been washing and deep conditioning weekly. I moisturizer and seal morning and night (because this winter has been very drying). I also bun a lot. I have only been using heat every other month but I think I will start flat ironing twice a week on very low heat to avoid the ssk and split ends.

This has been working so far but I'm due for a length check today or tomorrow so we'll see.
Are you going to wash your hair twice a week? I haven't had a problem with ssk or split ends. Do you wear your hair down a lot?

KurlyNinja

Ever since I BC'd, my main reggie is to co-wash about 4x a week. I then moisturize and seal. I finger detangle everytime I co-wash, but I use my tangle teezer about once every 2 weeks. I pineapple my hair at night and spritz my hair in the morning with a conditioner/water mix and just shake n go.

My products have changed along the way. I gear more towards the natural products now. I use Organix condish to co-wash. I moisturize with Shea Moisture and seal with castor oil.

When I get bored with my hair I usually PS with wigs, like I am now. I straighten my hair 1-2x a year. I try to keep a no heat/low heat reggie.

I'm not sure if my reggie is going to get me to WL like I want, but last year I was transitioning NL and now I'm all natural APL. So hopefully I'm doing something right.

HappilyLiberal

Girl, I'm just messing with you.

Be proud of yourself for doing your own braids girl, that's a huge step. Indeed, practice does make perfect. Do you think you're going to continue your natural journey?

Yes. I want it to get long enough so that I can do the conservative bun without extensions (I really don't like the fake hair but it is serving it's purpose right now). I need a more conservative hairstyle because I am attempting to change jobs and the jobs I am looking at will require a more conservative look. Plus, I like buns. My whole purpose for growing my hair longer is so I can wear buns without them looking anemic.

thecurlycamshow

IMO, keeping the heat to a minimum helps quite a bit. I have heat used on my hair once per month. I also still wear protective styles (PSs) because I like to keep my ends in good shape (haven't needed a trim since June 12, 2010, just had a few dustings in 2011), and I happen to like PSs. I also think leaving the hair alone does great at retaining length. When I do my hair in a protective style, I can keep it like that (neatly) for five to seven days. It looks like you're on the right road. Oh yeah, I think deep conditionings help (when I do mine, I don't use heat, just a plastic cap while in the shower).

I'm not claiming to be a hair expert, but I was able to grow my hair to waist length when I was relaxed (and it was in good shape). Now I'm natural (and loving it), and my hair is approaching tail bone length. I just want to offer help and information to others (which is why we're all here). :)

I know it's not the point of the post, but your hair is simply gorgeous!!!!

PinkPeony

I LOVE this thread!

I'm wearing my hair mostly airdried and stretched in buns/ updos/twists/twist updos.
My two biggest goals for this summer are making natural apl and growing my front out long enough for a full bun with twists.
Currently I only wash and dc every two weeks . Everything more seems like too much manipulation.

I'm really contemplating coloring my hair lighter for summer but am hesitating bc of the damage.

tarheelgurl

It sounds like the water isn't penetrating the new growth. Are you transitioning? Are you transitioning? Since you don't want to wear a wig to work, why don't you try some simple protective styles? Please don't let the people at work get on your nerves.

@Allandra

Yes, it kind seems like maybe the water wasn't penetrating. Someone up thread mentioned that there may be a porosity situation. I don't know but it definately beads while the relaxed strands are clearly wet. I do protective styles. I do a simple pin up or bun. So much hair has shed after that last relaxer that I really only want to wear it that way.

Yes, I'm transitioning. I'm 12 months post with a good bit of new growth now. The newgrowth won't tangle whereas the relaxed ends will. That's one thing that is bugging me.

drmuffin

If I can hide my scissors that would be a great start! But I twist my sad little 3-4 in fro every week, take em down, co-wash, DC, moisturize, seal and twist up again. I'm bringing in protein b/c in review of the last year, I've never did a formal protein treatment. I'm sure that would make a world of difference! Question: my 1 year natural is approaching this saturday, should I be depressed that my hair is only 3-4 inches? Cuz I sure feel like it. :sad: :ohwell:

LovelyNaps26

detangle only on wash day

protective and low manipulation hair styles

minimum heat use. currently 4 or 5 times a year and always use a heat protectant.

search and destroys rather than cuts.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I made an unorthodox natural 4b decision to cowash daily.

Just cowash, m&s then bun.

Today made week one and it has been FABULOUS.

I have decided I will stick with:
-Daily vitamins
-Daily cowash n' bun
-1x a week DC w/steam
-Exercise
-Protein and shampoo 1x a month

Topical applications of any sort are OUT. Heat only 2-4xs a year.. and I will see where this gets in the next 6 months.

The longer my hair gets the more I just want to BC and start all over because of the self induced "hassle" of doing to damn much with it.

I just need simplicity in 2012.

D.Lisha

The Following things have helped me recover from my Sept. Setback:
  • Split-Ender (I use it after every relaxer)
  • Wigs! (My most favorite/reliable PS right now...I honestly think my FIRST set-back was caused because of my bunning technique)
  • Nioxin Recharge Vitamins (taking one a day, I plan on doubling up my dose when I purchase my next bottle)
  • Sulfur Mix (applied to my scalp every other day in alternation with WGO)
  • WGO (recently purchased this, so it's kind of early on to tell if it's been having some effect....)
  • Adding Biotin vitamins to my 'poo (since I breakout when I take Biotin by mouth, I figured i'd crush them and add 'em to my shampoo :))

All of this is part of my "Operation C.O.M.E.B.A.C.K" regimen.

yodie

I had yet another setback from applying too much product on dry hair and wearing a twist out. I did this to eliminate heat. Major midshaft splits and breakage, so I added some tracks to the back of my hair. Six months later and my hair had really grown out nicely. I just wish I had cut off all the damage first. Six months of only use heat every 8-10 wk and just leaving my hair alone gave me a nice amount of growth. The rest of my hair was out and wasn't doing well at all.

Fast forward. I cut a lot of the mid shaft splits off and now I'm on a 24 month protective style, low heat (once every 4 months to trim ends) I'm washing/cowashing and I use my microwave cap (plastic bag undereath) to dc. I have a steamer, but I hate lugging it out. So, this is my easier way to steam. I do flat twists with hair butter/castor oil. Still seems like my hair isnt that moisterized. Maybe I need to clarify. I'm wearing a cute curly wig.

Also taking Nioxin vitamins, msm, and keeping things very simple.

Last edited:

Allandra

Ever since I BC'd, my main reggie is to co-wash about 4x a week. I then moisturize and seal. I finger detangle everytime I co-wash, but I use my tangle teezer about once every 2 weeks. I pineapple my hair at night and spritz my hair in the morning with a conditioner/water mix and just shake n go.

My products have changed along the way. I gear more towards the natural products now. I use Organix condish to co-wash. I moisturize with Shea Moisture and seal with castor oil.

When I get bored with my hair I usually PS with wigs, like I am now. I straighten my hair 1-2x a year. I try to keep a no heat/low heat reggie.

I'm not sure if my reggie is going to get me to WL like I want, but last year I was transitioning NL and now I'm all natural APL. So hopefully I'm doing something right.
Well, it certainly sounds like you're doing everything right. :) What is your hair length goal? I bet your shake n go is cute. What natural products are you using?

Allandra

I LOVE this thread!

I'm wearing my hair mostly airdried and stretched in buns/ updos/twists/twist updos.
My two biggest goals for this summer are making natural apl and growing my front out long enough for a full bun with twists.
Currently I only wash and dc every two weeks . Everything more seems like too much manipulation.

I'm really contemplating coloring my hair lighter for summer but am hesitating bc of the damage.
What would you use to color your hair? I don't feel color is damaging (at least not for my hair, but I use a dark color since my natural color is dark brown). Your regimen sounds good.

Allandra

If I can hide my scissors that would be a great start! But I twist my sad little 3-4 in fro every week, take em down, co-wash, DC, moisturize, seal and twist up again. I'm bringing in protein b/c in review of the last year, I've never did a formal protein treatment. I'm sure that would make a world of difference! Question: my 1 year natural is approaching this saturday, should I be depressed that my hair is only 3-4 inches? Cuz I sure feel like it. :sad: :ohwell:
Girl, don't make me come over there and get those scissors. :naughty: No, you shouldn't be depressed, but you should leave those scissors alone. Your regimen looks pretty good. Your hair will probably take off once you stop cutting on it.

Allandra

I made an unorthodox natural 4b decision to cowash daily.

Just cowash, m&s then bun.

Today made week one and it has been FABULOUS.

I have decided I will stick with:
-Daily vitamins
-Daily cowash n' bun
-1x a week DC w/steam
-Exercise
-Protein and shampoo 1x a month

Topical applications of any sort are OUT. Heat only 2-4xs a year.. and I will see where this gets in the next 6 months.

The longer my hair gets the more I just want to BC and start all over because of the self induced "hassle" of doing to damn much with it.

I just need simplicity in 2012.
If it's working for you, I say stick with it. I love simplicity. It just makes my life easier.

Allandra

The Following things have helped me recover from my Sept. Setback:
  • Split-Ender (I use it after every relaxer)
  • Wigs! (My most favorite/reliable PS right now...I honestly think my FIRST set-back was caused because of my bunning technique)
  • Nioxin Recharge Vitamins (taking one a day, I plan on doubling up my dose when I purchase my next bottle)
  • Sulfur Mix (applied to my scalp every other day in alternation with WGO)
  • WGO (recently purchased this, so it's kind of early on to tell if it's been having some effect....)
  • Adding Biotin vitamins to my 'poo (since I breakout when I take Biotin by mouth, I figured i'd crush them and add 'em to my shampoo :))

All of this is part of my "Operation C.O.M.E.B.A.C.K" regimen.
Are you natural or relaxed? What's your hair length goal?

anon123

What are you using on your hair prior to blow drying? I always air dry when I do my own hair. I'm not very good with blow drying my own hair.

I use some generic form of Chi that I got from Sally.

@mwedzi I'm following you on this one... It looks like we almost have the same head of hair.... Plan is blow drying my hair once a month and putting it in minibraids... letting the braids sit in my hair for 1 month, wash biweekly.. Hopefully this works... Sincerely it was such a relief to have the braiding lady go thru my hair so easily... instead of crying through the combing process... I used the tension method to blow dry... See my results here...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=601419

Great. We will follow each other's progress and see how it turns out.

I'm hiding my hair away in long-term installs (since June '11). In March 2011 I started a new healthy reggie w/deep conditioning once a week w/Aubrey GPB and castor oil rinses. I have continued this reggie along w/moisture spritz (water/avj/jojoba/castor oil & seal w/castor oil) as needed. I plan to keep my installs in through the next year or two, depending on how my hair responds. This is a new project.

Great, can't wait to see the results.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I have to read back through the thread but I have long hair and I would like to keep it on my head...lol. I'm just about wsl but I'm back to shedding like crazy. I believe it is like an extended postpartum shedding. It's been 9 months and it isn't slowing down and my hair is thinning, especially in the front. So far garlic has not worked (garlic treatment made from cloves, shampoo or conditioner) I want to try the pills but I'm still breastfeeding and don't want to change the taste of the milk...dd is real picky. I've tried tea rinsing & Nioxin. I don't know what else to do and I will be doing a search on it shortly.

But in the meantime, anybody got any ideas?

Relentless

Reinventing
Allandra. I am mid brastrap length. I am relaxed 4B. When you transitioned to natural, did you hold on to your relaxed hair for a while and then cut it once more of your natural hair grew in? If so, what was your regimen. :)

Second question: What type of protective styles do you wear?

Allandra

I had yet another setback from applying too much product on dry hair and wearing a twist out. I did this to eliminate heat. Major midshaft splits and breakage, so I added some tracks to the back of my hair. Six months later and my hair had really grown out nicely. I just wish I had cut off all the damage first. Six months of only use heat every 8-10 wk and just leaving my hair alone gave me a nice amount of growth. The rest of my hair was out and wasn't doing well at all.

Fast forward. I cut a lot of the mid shaft splits off and now I'm on a 24 month protective style, low heat (once every 4 months to trim ends) I'm washing/cowashing and I use my microwave cap (plastic bag undereath) to dc. I have a steamer, but I hate lugging it out. So, this is my easier way to steam. I do flat twists with hair butter/castor oil. Still seems like my hair isnt that moisterized. Maybe I need to clarify. I'm wearing a cute curly wig.

Also taking Nioxin vitamins, msm, and keeping things very simple.
Congratulations on your nice amount of growth. How do you like the Nioxin vitamins? I love keeping it simple. :)

Allandra

I have to read back through the thread but I have long hair and I would like to keep it on my head...lol. I'm just about wsl but I'm back to shedding like crazy. I believe it is like an extended postpartum shedding. It's been 9 months and it isn't slowing down and my hair is thinning, especially in the front. So far garlic has not worked (garlic treatment made from cloves, shampoo or conditioner) I want to try the pills but I'm still breastfeeding and don't want to change the taste of the milk...dd is real picky. I've tried tea rinsing & Nioxin. I don't know what else to do and I will be doing a search on it shortly.

But in the meantime, anybody got any ideas?
Hey girlie :wave:

It's good to 'see' you. Sorry to hear about the shedding. Have you tried taking b complex? I remember years ago (and I mean YEARS ago) I had a shedding problem, and that's when I started taking b complex. I still take it, and it's something that I will continue to take. The tea rinses are good for shedding too. How did it work out for you? We have got to find a solution. Please keep me posted.

Allandra

@Allandra. I am mid brastrap length. I am relaxed 4B. When you transitioned to natural, did you hold on to your relaxed hair for a while and then cut it once more of your natural hair grew in? If so, what was your regimen. :)

Second question: What type of protective styles do you wear?
I was waist length when I was relaxed. I got 6 to 8 inches of hair cut, and then after that I slowly had my hair trimmed a little each month. On the 24th month of my transition, I had a half inch of relaxed hair left, and I had that trimmed off then. I kept my hair straight during my transition because it was easier to keep both textures the same. Back then, I would get my hair shampooed, deep conditioned, roller set or blow dried and flat ironed. It worked well for me. :)

PSs: bun, 2 flat twists (pinned up), single braid, single twist, French twist