For those wanting long hair...

Allandra

I'm taking prenatal vitamins, keeping it simple, trying to have a ceramide/moisture/protein balance, and limiting the use of protein to only after my relaxer. I recently had a setback in January prior to doing my relaxer on the 20th of that month and also had a setback the previous relaxer before that one. As a result, my stylist had to cut off a lot of length, putting me back at MBL. I went back to get a relaxer redone on February 8th because my hair didn't take and my hair grew back so quickly, now it's less than an inch to WL. I pretty much owe it to the prenatal vitamins and not doing anything else to mess up my hair aka not trying to load it with protein. :look: I'm planning to follow this routine until I relax my hair in the next 3-4 months in which I expect GROWTH and a cleaner cut.
Are your setbacks from relaxing? What type of protein are you using? I love Aubrey Organics GPB (very mild protein, been using it since 2000). What type of hair styles are you wearing?

Allandra

I've been protective styling (hiding my hair under wigs), eliminating heat, and doing more finger combing. It seems to be working so far. I just need to make sure I moisturize more often. Sometimes I get lazy. :nono:
I never really got into finger combing (just didn't work well for me), so I just stick to my Jilbere Shower Comb. Moisturizing is important. I always moisturize my hair well before styling it for the week, and during the week, I just mist it with my water bottle. Every little bit helps. :)

anon123

I'm always trying something new because nothing I've tried has met with great success. Now I'm trying blow drying with a comb attachment every 2-3 weeks and wearing in braids or twists in the meantime. We'll see if this helps reduce tangling and knots, the combing out of which breaks my hair off.

Allandra

What I've been doing:

-no/low heat. I haven't used heat since Christmas Eve 2011. I use heat once or twice a year

-low manipulation hair styles. I love protective styles. My hair is usually in a bun or some sort of updo.

-religiously moisturizing and sealing my hair.

-deep conditioning weekly

Honestly, this is the first time I've SERIOUSLY been consistent about a regimen for my hair. My hair has been stuck at APL-BSL for a while. I hope to see some results by the end of the year.
You're doing all the good things to retain length. Keep us posted on your length updates.

SmilingElephant

This is my second time growing my hair really long, but first time as a natural head. I find that my hair thrives in wash n go's:yep: As long as i wet my hair pretty much daily and put my leave in or moisturizer in it daily i'm good.:yep:

I would like to straighten my hair every 3-6 months...i have only flat ironed my hair once since going natural..which was a fail. I do occasionally blow out my hair. I ALWAYS use a heat protectant whenever i use heat.

I also make it a mission to thoroughly comb my hair out every 3 days in the shower....i use my Denman for heavy duty de-shedding every 2-4 weeks. I DC every single week for about 5-10 minutes while in the shower.

Allandra

I have been doing cornrows under a wig. I used to have problems with tangles if I wear my hair in cornrows for more than a week but using gel and wetting it before I take it out reduces the tangles up to 90%. The gel feels slippery when wet, so my hair unravels easily. I had my last cornrows for 3 weeks (The first time in a year) and it didn't tangle up even though I sprayed it with my conditioner mix twice a week. I’m so glad I discovered this; it is helping me a lot to reduce tangles and breakage. Hopefully, I will retain more this way.
How many cornrows are you doing? How much of a difference have you noticed (with tangles and breakage) when you keep your cornrows in for one week vs three weeks? Are you using a moisturizing gel? A lot of people can get a good amount of growth in three weeks, so just be sure your hair isn't matting so you can avoid tangles and breakage.

tarheelgurl

I'm trying low manipulation and no heat. I haven't used any heat since November. I want to try braids under a wig but I'm afraid of what the people will say at work about it. (I work with some mean folks)

The problem I'm having is my ends becoming frizzy when I air dry. I try to twist them but that's only a little bit of help. I also hate that my hair gets hard when air dry. I'm trying one thing then another afte each wash. I may have to start washing more often.

Sigh....

Allandra

I dont use heat on my hair except for diffusing and it's on low heat. And I usually wear my hair up in a bun or in twists. And I TRY to deep condition once a week but sometimes I dont have time or I just forget lol I cut my hair to CBL in mid December and now its an inch away from APL! Woo! I'm trying to grow pretty much as long as possible. Aiming for WL in 2013.
Are you aiming for waist length when straight or when curly? My method of deep conditioning (in the shower) is just smacking on a plastic cap while I'm in the shower (which doesn't take too long). Why did you cut your hair to CBL?

Allandra

I've been keeping my natural hair pulled low in a chignon during the week for work and at home in the evenings I run aloe down my scalp then rub castor oil on the top. Keeping it simple - no heat at all, very little styling.
Keeping it simple is what I love. :) The aloe on the scalp sounds soothing.

Allandra

Using CG method (no cones/sulphates), low-heat (I plan to straighten 4 times this year to dust/trim my ends, with the first trim due next month), and keeping the protein/moisture balance in check. I'm really loving using hemp seed oil to seal, leaves my hair feeling soft/moisturized.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF
What type of hair styles are you wearing?

Allandra

*Moisture, Moisture, Moisture

*Low to no heat - The first time I flat ironed my hair was in December and that was after a year

*Twists and buns - It helps the hand in hair syndrome stay in its place

*Keeping it simple - no product junkyism, no extraordinary measures (just letting it grow)
You are definitely doing all the good stuff for your hair. Wow @ all of that hair in your avatar pic. It's lovely.

Allandra

Cowashing and bunning. Sealing with olive oil.
Thats it. Maybe a random DC when I want to treat myself, or noticing when my hair's elasticity is lessening.
I took a pic Jan 20th and just took one early this morning to see if cowashing/bunning daily was helping, because I was noticing a few ssks. [sigh]
Looks like I got an inch. I'm ecstatic!
And I see it's working well for you. Your hair is beautiful.

jenaccess

My cousin recently cut 6 to 8 inches off my BSL hair and was suppose to only cut the very ends.
As of now I am on a mission to grow that hair back within a year.
No heat, moisturize and seal ends daily,DC weekly, Henna every 2 wks, protective style cornrows in a bun, take vitamins MSM, Biotin, Women Ultra Mega vitamin.
Cardio 5 -6 days wkly

Allandra

Here's what I'm doing:

-No heat. I haven't used my blow dryer since I don't know when. I haven't flat ironed in 2 years. I used a heat protectant when I did use heat.

-Low manipulation. I twist my hair after washing and conditioning, and I keep my hair in a twistout all week.

-Taking my time detangling every week, starting at the ends and working my way up.

-Using tools that are gentle on my hair. My Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb is great. And I use a Denman brush but I don't brush from the roots - I just brush the ends to get the shed hair out.

-Deep conditioning, leaving the DC in for at least 30 minutes.
You're doing great. :up:

Allandra

I keep heat to a minimum most of the year. Winter I use heat weekly or biweekly by flatironing my airdried hair.

I wear protective styles fairly often: buns, twistsed updos, etc.

I moisturize my ends religiously and moisturize/DC my hair tons.

Yes this works well for me. It's what got me to hip length last year and what's going to get me back there again.
Hey Whimsy :wave:

Your hair is growing so fast.

How are you feeling? You look great.

Allandra

I'm always trying something new because nothing I've tried has met with great success. Now I'm trying blow drying with a comb attachment every 2-3 weeks and wearing in braids or twists in the meantime. We'll see if this helps reduce tangling and knots, the combing out of which breaks my hair off.
What are you using on your hair prior to blow drying? I always air dry when I do my own hair. I'm not very good with blow drying my own hair.

Allandra

This is my second time growing my hair really long, but first time as a natural head. I find that my hair thrives in wash n go's:yep: As long as i wet my hair pretty much daily and put my leave in or moisturizer in it daily i'm good.:yep:

I would like to straighten my hair every 3-6 months...i have only flat ironed my hair once since going natural..which was a fail. I do occasionally blow out my hair. I ALWAYS use a heat protectant whenever i use heat.

I also make it a mission to thoroughly comb my hair out every 3 days in the shower....i use my Denman for heavy duty de-shedding every 2-4 weeks. I DC every single week for about 5-10 minutes while in the shower.
That's a cute puff in your avatar pic. I hope you are enjoying being natural. I think it's a lot of fun. Keep up the good work.

Allandra

I'm trying low manipulation and no heat. I haven't used any heat since November. I want to try braids under a wig but I'm afraid of what the people will say at work about it. (I work with some mean folks)

The problem I'm having is my ends becoming frizzy when I air dry. I try to twist them but that's only a little bit of help. I also hate that my hair gets hard when air dry. I'm trying one thing then another afte each wash. I may have to start washing more often.

Sigh....
How often are you washing your hair? What shampoo and conditioner are you using? What moisturizer are you using? I really like nice heavy moisturizers (when I'm not wearing my hair straight) like the ones by Qhemet (keeps my ends frizz free). I also use a creamy leave in (which is also moisturizing).

Are you afraid of wearing a wig to work? I've never worn a wig, but a lot of ladies on the forum do. Maybe you can do a thread on it for some feed back.

Allandra

My cousin recently cut 6 to 8 inches off my BSL hair and was suppose to only cut the very ends.
As of now I am on a mission to grow that hair back within a year.
No heat, moisturize and seal ends daily,DC weekly, Henna every 2 wks, protective style cornrows in a bun, take vitamins MSM, Biotin, Women Ultra Mega vitamin.
Cardio 5 -6 days wkly
It sounds like you're on a good mission. Keeps us posted on how this works for you.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Allandra said:
What type of hair styles are you wearing?

Mostly wash n go's and puff styles (I'm style challenged). I wet my hair daily and co-wash w/ Tresemme Naturals almost daily. My hair seems to thrive on wash n go's (i use Ecostyler/hemp seed oil lately). I henna every 2-3 months for color and fortification. I've also recently added AOGPB conditioner every couple of weeks. I just got a steamer that I've used once, and I'm gonna try to steam once a week at least.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

tarheelgurl

How often are you washing your hair? What shampoo and conditioner are you using? What moisturizer are you using? I really like nice heavy moisturizers (when I'm not wearing my hair straight) like the ones by Qhemet (keeps my ends frizz free). I also use a creamy leave in (which is also moisturizing).

Are you afraid of wearing a wig to work? I've never worn a wig, but a lot of ladies on the forum do. Maybe you can do a thread on it for some feed back.
I wash about once a week sometimes a little more than a week but less than two. I shampoo with CON detangling and am alternating between conditioners right now to try and find what works for both. I am using motions, QH cholesterol and Nexus deep moisture. So far the motions satisies both but not where I would like for it to be.

I also notice the the newgrowth has water beading on it while the relaxed ends are nicely saturated and glistening. What does that mean??:perplexed
As far as moisturizers go, I'm working on that too. I'm using a mix of humectress with coconut oil and some mizani stuff right now. I just put equal parts and stir.

Yes, I don't want to wear a wig to work. I acutally bought one a couple of weeks ago and there is another I would like but the people at work are so mean. I have been weave checked I don't know how many times. Oh well, maybe I will get the guts.

FoxxyLocs

Low heat - every 2-3 months - was completely heat free from '04 until last summer

Low manipulation - generally I style my hair once a week and just tie it up at night. I also detangle only as needed and not necessarily every wash day.

Protective styling - most of my weekly styles are protective styles - buns. I rarely wear my hair out - mostly because it gets in the way, not because of retention.

cch24

I've been doing some very simple things and they have paid off. I cowash almost every day, deep condition once a week, bun, and use heat once or twice a year. I love taking care of my hair and I hope it continues to grow and that I continue to retain the length.

Last edited:

g.lo

Way to go. What type of hair styles are you wearing?

When i couldn't bun, i was doing twist out all the time and as soon as i could bun, that was my main style, the southern tease bun! this year because of the harsh winter i have been wearing a wig for work (only part time), but from tomorrow, bun, bun, bun!

jahzyira

Ive been applying A "mist" of ceramides(kerastase vita ciment), SAA's, and panthenol(powdered form) to my strands. Baggying with this mixture, ZERO heat, protective styling 283740514387510438% of the time, and stretching my relaxers 9+ months has me ALMOST reaching waistlength.:grin:

Reactions: JFK

NaturalEnigma

I wash about once a week sometimes a little more than a week but less than two. I shampoo with CON detangling and am alternating between conditioners right now to try and find what works for both. I am using motions, QH cholesterol and Nexus deep moisture. So far the motions satisies both but not where I would like for it to be.

I also notice the the newgrowth has water beading on it while the relaxed ends are nicely saturated and glistening. What does that mean??:perplexed
As far as moisturizers go, I'm working on that too. I'm using a mix of humectress with coconut oil and some mizani stuff right now. I just put equal parts and stir.

Yes, I don't want to wear a wig to work. I acutally bought one a couple of weeks ago and there is another I would like but the people at work are so mean. I have been weave checked I don't know how many times. Oh well, maybe I will get the guts.

When I was relaxed I used a leave in by Abba that had a very low ph and was meant to seal the cuticle. One time I applied it on my hair and went back in the shower, and I noticed beads of water all over my head. I think it means that your natural hair has low porosity and your relaxed hair is highly porous. When your natural hair gets wet the water molecules just sit on the hair, but when your relaxed hair gets wet it readily absorbs the water, this also means that your relaxed hair is more prone to being dry, because water can easily enter and leave the hair, whereas your natural hair is probably better at retaining moisture.

jhcprincess

Protective styling all day everyday; I wear wigs 90% of the time and moisturize my hair everyday. I wash and deep condition once per week. Under the wig, my hair is always stretched because it's braided up. That's pretty much it... in my experience, worrying about porosity, density, texture, etc. just leads to me buying a bunch of unnecessary products and over-manipulation of my hair to accommodate too many factors. Just keeping it simple is truly the best approach, and has led to a lot of growth and retention for me.

Last edited: