For those wanting long hair...

ravenhairedcharm

Is M&S moisturize & style? Do you change your style daily or do you just like to do your hair daily? I wonder if I'm the only one that styles their hair on Sunday and keep it that way until the weekend. :look: Do you do henna to strengthen your hair?

No, you are definitely not the only one. My wash days are on Sundays, so I wash, deep condition, and then moisturize with a leave-in and oil. I then style my hair, which always ends up being a style that protects my ends, not by choice, but because for the current length of my hair these styles are most practical. For the rest of the week my hands are out of my hair unless I need to re-moisturize. Since I've started washing my hair weekly, I've seen a drastic improvement in the appearance of my hair. It looks darker, shinier and healthier. :yep:

Also I don't use heat of any kind, so that helps in maintaining fairly undamaged hair.

JudithO

I'm always trying something new because nothing I've tried has met with great success. Now I'm trying blow drying with a comb attachment every 2-3 weeks and wearing in braids or twists in the meantime. We'll see if this helps reduce tangling and knots, the combing out of which breaks my hair off.

mwedzi I'm following you on this one... It looks like we almost have the same head of hair.... Plan is blow drying my hair once a month and putting it in minibraids... letting the braids sit in my hair for 1 month, wash biweekly.. Hopefully this works... Sincerely it was such a relief to have the braiding lady go thru my hair so easily... instead of crying through the combing process... I used the tension method to blow dry... See my results here...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=601419

lynnstar

Allandra - Thanks for creating this thread!

I'm aiming for full MBL this year (or better) so I am doing

- low/no manipulation
- PSing by wearing my hair in braids under a half wig
- moisturizing/sealing...still looking for my perfect moisturizer but seal with shea/coconut oil mixture
-no heat....except to length check every 3 or 4 months

BillsBackerz67

ill prob keep my same methods as before. Exept Ill try to cut down on the heat to once a month and trim more often. SSK's were the only reason why I relaxed in the first place. I would love to do low manipulation protective styles and twists, braids etc, but my hair does not hold styles well whatsoever :ohwell:

MaraWithLove

No heat, henna and ayurvedic mixes, DC'ing every week, coffee-tea-acv rinses, keeping hair covered whenever outside (curse this unpredictable whether btw XD), and some protective styling (other times the shrinkage does well enough a job of protection lol). I've been sometimes doing 6 cornrows -> braidouts and two french braids which I leave in for a few days. Things have just really come into rhythm a month-2 months ago; I'm hoping it works out well. :)

ETA: And of course m&s'ing regularly. I also think patience is key, especially for my hair which is both dense and coarse.

Aicer

I've been protective styling my hair in wigs for about 6 months now and baggy everyday underneath my wig. I started using henna last month and have been use hard protein every 6 weeks and neutral protein filler as my mild protein every week. I also moisturize everyday using either Sapote Lotion or Whipped ends.

I've been doing this hardcore regimen because I experienced a set back last year had tons of splits and breakage and had to cut off my APL hair to about 4 inches.

Now I still have breakage not as much as before I cut but it's still way more than I would like.

fivetimestwo

I'm hiding my hair exclusively during the winter months (from November until mid-April). I'm also practicing very low manipulation and only manipulate my hair on wash days. I'm moisturizing and sealing in braids and I avoid detangling my hair when wet. I seem to be retaining really well :yep:

Allandra

I wash about once a week sometimes a little more than a week but less than two. I shampoo with CON detangling and am alternating between conditioners right now to try and find what works for both. I am using motions, QH cholesterol and Nexus deep moisture. So far the motions satisies both but not where I would like for it to be.

I also notice the the newgrowth has water beading on it while the relaxed ends are nicely saturated and glistening. What does that mean??:perplexed
As far as moisturizers go, I'm working on that too. I'm using a mix of humectress with coconut oil and some mizani stuff right now. I just put equal parts and stir.

Yes, I don't want to wear a wig to work. I acutally bought one a couple of weeks ago and there is another I would like but the people at work are so mean. I have been weave checked I don't know how many times. Oh well, maybe I will get the guts.
It sounds like the water isn't penetrating the new growth. Are you transitioning? Are you transitioning? Since you don't want to wear a wig to work, why don't you try some simple protective styles? Please don't let the people at work get on your nerves.

Allandra

Low heat - every 2-3 months - was completely heat free from '04 until last summer

Low manipulation - generally I style my hair once a week and just tie it up at night. I also detangle only as needed and not necessarily every wash day.

Protective styling - most of my weekly styles are protective styles - buns. I rarely wear my hair out - mostly because it gets in the way, not because of retention.
We are >>>here<<< :yep:

Allandra

I've been doing some very simple things and they have paid off. I cowash almost every day, deep condition once a week, bun, and use heat once or wife a year. I love taking care of my hair and I hope it continues to grow and that I continue to retain the length.
You are doing it! I feel that keeping it simple works best for me too.

Allandra

Ive been applying A "mist" of ceramides(kerastase vita ciment), SAA's, and panthenol(powdered form) to my strands. Baggying with this mixture, ZERO heat, protective styling 283740514387510438% of the time, and stretching my relaxers 9+ months has me ALMOST reaching waistlength.:grin:
Way to go!

Allandra

Protective styling all day everyday; I wear wigs 90% of the time and moisturize my hair everyday. I wash and deep condition once per week. Under the wig, my hair is always stretched because it's braided up. That's pretty much it... in my experience, worrying about porosity, density, texture, etc. just leads to me buying a bunch of unnecessary products and over-manipulation of my hair to accommodate too many factors. Just keeping it simple is truly the best approach, and has led to a lot of growth and retention for me.
I know that's right! I'm glad it's working for you.

Allandra

@Allandra - Thanks for creating this thread!

I'm aiming for full MBL this year (or better) so I am doing

- low/no manipulation
- PSing by wearing my hair in braids under a half wig
- moisturizing/sealing...still looking for my perfect moisturizer but seal with shea/coconut oil mixture
-no heat....except to length check every 3 or 4 months
You're welcome. :)

Sounds like you're doing great. :)

chebaby

well i hope to reach wl this year so to get there ill just keep up co washing often for moisture/protein balance. i usually w&g with minimal to no leave in but now im starting to leave in all my conditioner so my hair stays tangle free cause thats what ive noticed leaving in all that conditioner does for me. also i try to only do my hair once or twice a week.
oh and i will try not to use heat but once this year.

kblc06

-Wash/DC/Detangle/ Moisturize + vaseline sealing once per week
-Low-no heat
-Using a comb/denman only once per week
-Moisturizing w/ braid spray daily
-Wearing plaits underneath wigs
-Clean diet + exercise

I'm closing in on WL so I guess it's working :)

Allandra

ill prob keep my same methods as before. Exept Ill try to cut down on the heat to once a month and trim more often. SSK's were the only reason why I relaxed in the first place. I would love to do low manipulation protective styles and twists, braids etc, but my hair does not hold styles well whatsoever :ohwell:
What were your methods?

eta: corrected spelling

Last edited:

Allandra

No heat, henna and ayurvedic mixes, DC'ing every week, coffee-tea-acv rinses, keeping hair covered whenever outside (curse this unpredictable whether btw XD), and some protective styling (other times the shrinkage does well enough a job of protection lol). I've been sometimes doing 6 cornrows -> braidouts and two french braids which I leave in for a few days. Things have just really come into rhythm a month-2 months ago; I'm hoping it works out well. :)

ETA: And of course m&s'ing regularly. I also think patience is key, especially for my hair which is both dense and coarse.
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

What does m&s stand for?

Allandra

I've been protective styling my hair in wigs for about 6 months now and baggy everyday underneath my wig. I started using henna last month and have been use hard protein every 6 weeks and neutral protein filler as my mild protein every week. I also moisturize everyday using either Sapote Lotion or Whipped ends.

I've been doing this hardcore regimen because I experienced a set back last year had tons of splits and breakage and had to cut off my APL hair to about 4 inches.

Now I still have breakage not as much as before I cut but it's still way more than I would like.

What do you think could be causing your breakage?

Allandra

I'm hiding my hair exclusively during the winter months (from November until mid-April). I'm also practicing very low manipulation and only manipulate my hair on wash days. I'm moisturizing and sealing in braids and I avoid detangling my hair when wet. I seem to be retaining really well :yep:
Way to go on retaining. Are you natural or relaxed?

Allandra

well i hope to reach wl this year so to get there ill just keep up co washing often for moisture/protein balance. i usually w&g with minimal to no leave in but now im starting to leave in all my conditioner so my hair stays tangle free cause thats what ive noticed leaving in all that conditioner does for me. also i try to only do my hair once or twice a week.
oh and i will try not to use heat but once this year.
Do you wear any particular hair styles?

Allandra

-Wash/DC/Detangle/ Moisturize + vaseline sealing once per week
-Low-no heat
-Using a comb/denman only once per week
-Moisturizing w/ braid spray daily
-Wearing plaits underneath wigs
-Clean diet + exercise

I'm closing in on WL so I guess it's working :)
Way to go. :up:

virtuenow

I'm hiding my hair away in long-term installs (since June '11). In March 2011 I started a new healthy reggie w/deep conditioning once a week w/Aubrey GPB and castor oil rinses. I have continued this reggie along w/moisture spritz (water/avj/jojoba/castor oil & seal w/castor oil) as needed. I plan to keep my installs in through the next year or two, depending on how my hair responds. This is a new project.

Last edited:

hair4romheaven

Braids under a wig or weave. (my p.s of choice)
Wash dc every 10 - 14 days.
Moist & seal daily or every other day.
Vitamins, eats clean, work out, lots of water & protein.
I b.c june 2010 after 9 mnth transition. I am currently bsl.
Massage oil mix or jbco on scalp 3-4x a week.
I don't use heat cause I dont know how to flat iron. I dont blow dry cause it makes my hair crunchy. When I wear my hair out i'm in 2 strand twist styled in a bun or under a wig, then a twist out for a few days.

Last edited:

Ann0804

I'm protective styling in wigs until I reach SL, which I hope will be in August. I shampoo twice per week, and deep condition each time. I'm wearing my hair in twists under my wig. I moisturize and seal daily. I'm avoiding heat, taking a multivitamin daily, msm (3 times per week), and biotin once per week.

Allandra

I'm hiding my hair away in long-term installs (since June '11). In March 2011 I started a new healthy reggie w/deep conditioning once a week w/Aubrey GPB and castor oil rinses. I have continued this reggie along w/moisture spritz (water/avj/jojoba/castor oil & seal w/castor oil) as needed. I plan to keep my installs in through the next year or two, depending on how my hair responds. This is a new project.
Can't wait to hear your future results.