For those wanting long hair...

NaturalfienD

greenandchic said:
NaturalfienD Yes, my hair is porous at the crown and in some other secotions. Does the Roux products have protein? I'm shying away from heavy protein these days since it kind of fried my hair late last year.

Thanks for the suggestion!

greenandchic ~ You're more than welcome! I checked the shampoo and conditioner; both have Hydrolyzed Silk in the top five ingredients. I believe silk is a protein but I am uncertain if it is considered a heavy protein or not. I have researched Silk Amino Acids (assuming it's from the same family) and SAA is referred to as a 'moisturizing' protein so Roux might be helpful for the overly porous area on your crown area. I hope I this makes sense girl, please keep me posted. :)

greenandchic

@greenandchic ~ You're more than welcome! I checked the shampoo and conditioner; both have Hydrolyzed Silk in the top five ingredients. I believe silk is a protein but I am uncertain if it is considered a heavy protein or not. I have researched Silk Amino Acids (assuming it's from the same family) and SAA is referred to as a 'moisturizing' protein so Roux might be helpful for the overly porous area on your crown area. I hope I this makes sense girl, please keep me posted. :)

Thanks for the info! I think silk is pretty light. I will check it out on my next trip to Sally.

greenandchic

NaturalfienD - I purchased the conditioner today and plan on using it once a week. My hair felt stronger after rinsing though I did finish it off with a moisturizing conditioner after I used it to hopefully avoid dryness. We'll see how it goes! :D

Allandra

How is everyone doing with their hair growth? My hair is doing well. The less I do with my hair, the more it thrives, and I love that. Lately, I've been twisting my hair (in about 15 to 20 twists) and pulling them back in a bun. When I do this style, I wear it for a week at a time (love that, and talk about saving me some time, whew). I absolutely love it, and I get a lot of compliments on it. Some folks have the nerve to think I get up and re-do it every day. NOT. :lol: I think this is gonna be one of my main styles this summer and fall because I'm not getting my hair flat ironed until Christmas. :yay:

Atdow71

Hi- this is my first post on LHCF after lurking for about 3 wks. I had locs for 10 yrs and they reach waist length( a length I never thought possible). On Memorial day, I decided that I want to chop them off and become a loose natural ( after thinking about it for a while). Everyone who I told was pretty much against it, and others didn't think I'd do it. On June 10, 2012' I bc'd my locs.

Now I'm trying to figure out what my hair likes and what it doesn't and I'm trying to build a regimen.
I dc my hair every week with & w/o AOGPB
Co wash w/ tresseme naturals weekly
Clarify my hair when I need it ( if I've been using different products)
Moisturizer w/ distiller water& oyin hair dew daily
Moisturizer w/ one of my favorite oils: Jbco, castor oil, evoo, argon oil
My cousin is buying a steamer so hopefully that will help w/ my dry hair
I keep my hair in twists 99% of the time and will do so until my hair is long enough to achieve "big hair"
I always wear a satin bonnet & I'm trying to baggy/ghe my hair, but it's been too damn hot in NYC for that.

My hair hates with a passion coconut oil & Shea butter.

I think that's it- in the future I will return to locs because I loved them so much, but for now I want to see if I can master my loose natural Jair.

greenandchic

Allandra - My hair feels so much better after using the Roux Conditioner on Sunday night. I'm just wondering how often I should use it since I do wash ever 3 days these days...

Atdow71 - :welcome3:

newgrowth15

:welcome3:Atdow71 My hair hates straight coconut oil and shea butter too. If you go on youtube and watch Naptural85, she has a recipe for whipped shea butter with coconut oil that keeps your hair soft and moisturized. HHJ

Atdow71

:welcome3:Atdow71 My hair hates straight coconut oil and shea butter too. If you go on youtube and watch Naptural85, she has a recipe for whipped shea butter with coconut oil that keeps your hair soft and moisturized. HHJ

I love her Chanel, I'm going to give it a try because I think I have all of the ingredients.

ravenhairedcharm

I want to start flat ironing my hair monthly on a low heat temp after air drying in rollers. Can I still retain length and grow my hair to long lengths doing this? I'm worried because I've been reading around and people are saying that those who want to grow their hair long rarely use heat. I know it's possible I will need to up protein treatments if I do end up doing this. I'd appreciate any input.

yodie

Haven't posted here in awhile. I'm still hiding my hair and I incorporated silk proteins. I think my hair likes silk protein moreso than harsh proteins. My goal is to hide my hair until Dec. 2013, but I'm so ready to wear my hair straight. I haven't reached my goal yet. I had to re-grow my hair because of terrible damage/splits. I think a henna treatment fried my hair. I've replaced all that hair, minus 3/4 of an inch that needs to be trimmed. Should I just go ahead and cut that part off and get it over and done with? I don't have a lot of length, but I am back to the length in my avatar. Ironically I never seem to get beyond that length.

sckri23

My hair is a little shorter than my avi now due to needed trims from trial and error but its super healthy now cause I finally found my staples!!! Yay

Btw anybody want a barely used bottle of scurl it didnt really work for me

sckri23

simplyevanescent said:
I want to start flat ironing my hair monthly on a low heat temp after air drying in rollers. Can I still retain length and grow my hair to long lengths doing this? I'm worried because I've been reading around and people are saying that those who want to grow their hair long rarely use heat. I know it's possible I will need to up protein treatments if I do end up doing this. I'd appreciate any input.

Once a month isnt alot of heat

Allandra

@simplyevanescent

I agree with @sckri23 once a month isn't a lot of heat.

Allandra

Haven't posted here in awhile. I'm still hiding my hair and I incorporated silk proteins. I think my hair likes silk protein moreso than harsh proteins. My goal is to hide my hair until Dec. 2013, but I'm so ready to wear my hair straight. I haven't reached my goal yet. I had to re-grow my hair because of terrible damage/splits. I think a henna treatment fried my hair. I've replaced all that hair, minus 3/4 of an inch that needs to be trimmed. Should I just go ahead and cut that part off and get it over and done with? I don't have a lot of length, but I am back to the length in my avatar. Ironically I never seem to get beyond that length.
yodie

Are you wearing your hair in protective styles? I wouldn't want to wear my hair out if my ends needed to be trimmed.

yodie

@ Allandra yes, I'm wearing a half wig at the moment. Makes sense to go on and cut it off. I'm being stubborn because I cut all of my hair down to about 2" and now that I have some length, I want to keep it. I'm gonna trim the rest in another month or so when I straighten.

Angelicus

What are you doing to retain your length? Has it been working for you?
I wash my hair 2x a week.

1. I like using a penetrating oil pre-shampoo treatment before washing.
  2. I always deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner or protein conditioner.
  3. I moisturize at least twice a day.
  4. I never use a blow dryer or apply heat to the ends of my hair. I don't use a brush, and I rarely wrap my hair.

I know I should be wearing my hair down more often to protect my ends but I feel so fancy and free when I wear it down :lol:

janeemat

I wash my hair 2x a week.

1. I like using a penetrating oil pre-shampoo treatment before washing.
  2. I always deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner or protein conditioner.
  3. I moisturize at least twice a day.
  4. I never use a blow dryer or apply heat to the ends of my hair. I don't use a brush, and I rarely wrap my hair.
I know I should be wearing my hair down more often to protect my ends but I feel so fancy and free when I wear it down :lol:

Angelicus you still have beautiful relaxed hair. I remember when I first joined, you enlighten me on so many Dominican products. Please share your penetrating oil prepoo. I have been using JBCO mixed with a little sweet almond oil, ylang ylang, rosemary and peppermint oil as my prepoo.

niqu92

@Allandra - My hair feels so much better after using the Roux Conditioner on Sunday night. I'm just wondering how often I should use it since I do wash ever 3 days these days...

@Atdow71 - :welcome3:

greenandchic

Roux is a very good line but IMO i wouldnt use it to wash so frequently (every 3 days) but you never know- try it and see how it works
My mom has been using strictly the Roux line for 1year- she started to use it b/c her hair was thinning and shedding- but now her hair is so thick and strong. after seeing how her hair transformed its a product line i would recommend to anybody

greenandchic

@greenandchic

Roux is a very good line but IMO i wouldnt use it to wash so frequently (every 3 days) but you never know- try it and see how it works
My mom has been using strictly the Roux line for 1year- she started to use it b/c her hair was thinning and shedding- but now her hair is so thick and strong. after seeing how her hair transformed its a product line i would recommend to anybody

niqu92

I haven't used it in a week and my hair is still doing well. I will try it every 2-3 weeks to see how it goes. I'm going to do a henna/indigo this weekend so I might be able to hold out...

Angelicus

Hey lady! Miss talking to you! janeemat

I really think pre-pooing or deep conditioning is the key.

I use different things for pre-poo, steaming under a turban:

Silk Dreams PRE - you can go to their website for ingredients.
Olive oil
Coconut oil

Me encanta!!!!

kesha4726

My shampoo was the culprit. I couldn't figure out how to stop the falling. What was my hair trying to tell me? I take my braids out every week and wash, but I was getting too much breakage and shedding. I regrouped and tried something different. I stopped using shampoo for the past month. I sometimes prepooed with olive oil overnight, but mostly used rebalancers like Roux and Aphogee (purchased awhile ago). Now, I don't have any breakage. My hair was dry, and even though I oiled it, the shampoo was tearing it apart. I am sooo glad that I figured this out. I can't say who exactly gave me this idea, because I am a fan of so many. I love reading and learning on here. Now, I know how to read labels, and I am a product junkie no more. I am on track to to reach my first hair goal of APL by my 1 years hair journey aniversary in October. #hairwhisperer

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Hi ladies. Update in my siggy. Just trimmed an inch or so. Slowly working on trimming my texlaxed hair off. Deep conditioning and protective styling are my fav tactics.

yodie

Seems like I never make progress. Something is always going wrong and I have to cut, cut, cut. I have to cut about 2" off. I can't do that all at once, so I'll cut some now and some later. Maybe I'll just add some tracks to the back, cut 2" and let it grow out from there.
I have to use some sort of real protein treatment every time I use heat. That's been my downfall - uncontrolled heat without protein treatments/heat protectant.

NEVER EVER AGAIN will I use heat without some sort of protein beforehand and a heat protectant. NEVER!!!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
havilland whats your reggie?
your hair looks great

I try to keep it simple.

No shampoo

I use clarifying conditioner. V05 key lime

Deep condition once a week with hairveda conditioners.

Spritz chi keratin mist once a day or so. Just a light mist to moisturize.

Apply hot six oil to ends at night. One or two drops.

Rarely use heat. 2-3 times a year

Protective style 90% of the time. (I use buns, half wigs, weaves and ponytails)

My hair loves protein. Hates chemicals. Hth