For those wanting long hair...

sandy100

Well, I've changed my Mind. I've decided to give up on relaxers. I don't have anything against relaxers, just how they are applied. At one salon I was going to the stylist didn't wash the relaxer out properly and it caused breakage at the back nape. My hair broke off so badly in that area til and I'm just not going to deal with that issue any longer. I feel I will have more control concerning my hair's health by eliminating that variable. I figured out what happen: Most stylist will wrap your neck with a towel and wrap the plastic cape around that. Then they apply the relaxer, ok ,then they take you to the wash bowl and rinse out the relaxer, but they leave that relaxer-soil towel around your neck so that relaxer gets back in your hair or the towel rides up and the hair at the nape is not washed properly. I'm just finished with it all. One stylist I use to go to would always change out the towel with a fresh one after rinsing the relaxer out and I didn't experience that problem.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Well, I've changed my Mind. I've decided to give up on relaxers. I don't have anything against relaxers, just how they are applied. At one salon I was going to the stylist didn't wash the relaxer out properly and it caused breakage at the back nape. My hair broke off so badly in that area til and I'm just not going to deal with that issue any longer. I feel I will have more control concerning my hair's health by eliminating that variable. I figured out what happen: Most stylist will wrap your neck with a towel and wrap the plastic cape around that. Then they apply the relaxer, ok ,then they take you to the wash bowl and rinse out the relaxer, but they leave that relaxer-soil towel around your neck so that relaxer gets back in your hair or the towel rides up and the hair at the nape is not washed properly. I'm just finished with it all. One stylist I use to go to would always change out the towel with a fresh one after rinsing the relaxer out and I didn't experience that problem.
I always used to lift my head to indicate to them that they must wash my nape as they would frequently forget to wash this area. They should change the towel after they wash the relaxer out.

KenyafromCT

IMO, keeping the heat to a minimum helps quite a bit. I have heat used on my hair once per month. I also still wear protective styles (PSs) because I like to keep my ends in good shape (haven't needed a trim since June 12, 2010, just had a few dustings in 2011), and I happen to like PSs. I also think leaving the hair alone does great at retaining length. When I do my hair in a protective style, I can keep it like that (neatly) for five to seven days. It looks like you're on the right road. Oh yeah, I think deep conditionings help (when I do mine, I don't use heat, just a plastic cap while in the shower).

I'm not claiming to be a hair expert, but I was able to grow my hair to waist length when I was relaxed (and it was in good shape). Now I'm natural (and loving it), and my hair is approaching tail bone length. I just want to offer help and information to others (which is why we're all here). :)
How is your hair doing?