For those who's hair likes glycerin...

sparkle25

I am thinking that my hair actually likes glycerin. I tried it at the start of my journey but I was a PJ back then and only stuck to stuff that worked instantly on my hair. I never really gave anything too much of a chance, and actually now that I remember I think I went to Europe for like 4 months and when I came back my roommate had used up all my stash :evil: . After that I just stuck to what worked, so I only have two holy grails and that's all that I use. I still need a shampoo and some rinse out conditioners and I wouldn't mind a new deep conditioner....then I will have everything I need and only dabble in other things out of curiosity lol.

Well I'm noticing now that my HG leave in has glycerin in it...so maybe my hair likes it. I picked this particular conditioner because it didnt have much oil.....I don't think my hair likes oils. They just make my ends dry and it sits on my hair leaving it greasy. And yes I have tried many different oils.

I don't know much about glycerin I just know some women have trouble with it do to humidity levels or something. I am just curios to learn if you have ever had trouble using them in the winter, if you live in a colder climate or did it not matter too much? I don't wear my natural hair out at the moment, I just wear wigs. My natural hair is actually way past my shoulders to my surprise, but my edges aren't looking too pretty so in waiting for them to grow in before I wear my real hair.

Ok thanks ladies

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
I. LOVE. GLYCERIN.

And I add it to EVERYTHING I put in my hair.

Now, that being said, I live in the Pacific Northwest where it stays pretty temperate year round and the dew points are optimal for using glycerin.

I once went to LA during the time of the Scirroco Winds and my hair was HAM the whole time. Why? Because it was hot and dry and any glycerin---along with moisture---got sucked out my hair.

Bottom line: pay attention to the dew points where you live. I believe if the dew point is above or below 50 degrees, your hair will suffer from either too much swelling (in hot, humid weather) or dry out (in cold, dry weather). Since my city never gets super hot and humid or cold and dry, my hair LOVES, LOVES, LOVES glycerin.

So check those dew points---and proceed with caution!

HTH!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I. LOVE. GLYCERIN.

And I add it to EVERYTHING I put in my hair.

Now, that being said, I live in the Pacific Northwest where it stays pretty temperate year round and the dew points are optimal for using glycerin.

I once went to LA during the time of the Scirroco Winds and my hair was HAM the whole time. Why? Because it was hot and dry and any glycerin---along with moisture---got sucked out my hair.

Bottom line: pay attention to the dew points where you live. I believe if the dew point is above or below 50 degrees, your hair will suffer from either too much swelling (in hot, humid weather) or dry out (in cold, dry weather). Since my city never gets super hot and humid or cold and dry, my hair LOVES, LOVES, LOVES glycerin.

So check those dew points---and proceed with caution!

HTH!

Do you live in Oregon?

TwoSnapsUp

I usually stop using in colder weather because it seems to harden or dry my hair out. But now I want to try GHEing with it tonight and see how that comes out...

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I live in Chicago. It gets super frigid and dry in the winter and crispy hot in the summer. (But there's also that freezing dampness and roasting humidity...) And regardless, I like glycerine and add it to all of my homemade goodies. I use it year round but HOW I use it does change.
When it's dryer outside, regardless of temperature, I add a higher ratio of water to my glycerin mixes. When it's dewier out, I add a lower ratio of water. It's pretty simple and works for me. For my hair, the dew points matter more than temperature with glycerin.

Sent using LHCF app

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I live in Pittsburgh and we have cold winters. I have been having trouble keeping my hair moisturized lately. However, I recently tried using glycerine and it seems to be helping. I use World of Curls diluted in water. I use 1 part World of Curls (glycerine is the first ingredient on the bottle) with 2 parts of distilled water. I put this mixture in a spray bottle. When I use it I first spritz my hair with distilled water, apply the World of Curls spritz, and then spritz my hair again with distilled water. Next I use a heavy moisturizer and seal lightly with an oil. Every morning when I wake up my hair feels soft and moisturized. I have only been doing this for a few days but it seems to be working.

I think the trick to this is that you are applying moisture before and after the glycerine mix. I will keep using this for a few more weeks and see how it goes. In addition, I wear silk lined hats when I go out into the cold weather but under the hat I have been wearing a plastic cap to retain some of the moisture. One I arrive at my destination I will remove the plastic cap and the hat. For example, today I will be riding for over an hour to get to my mother-in-laws house. On the car ride I will wear my plastic cap and beanie. Once we arrive I will remove them. Her house is usually very hot and dry but my hair usually remains moisturized. On the drive back home I will put the plastic cap and beanie back on.

sparkle25

I think I'm going to try more glycerin products. I don't understand the whole dew point things, but right now my hair is not being worn out anyways. I wear wigs and keep my hair in twists underneath. So my real hair won't be hitting the air much anyways. Both of m holy grails have glycerin so maybe that's what my hair likes.