Forget just natural/organic products, my hair likes FOOD!

SohoHair

So last night I did a couple of new thing that turned out quite wonderfully. I made a fabulous pre-poo with Vo5 Tea Therapy, honey, Amla oil, coconut milk, Vatika Oil, a tablespoon of unreleased henna (mostly for consitency), and one whole egg. I covered my hair with a shower cap and used a thermal cap for about 1 hour.

Then I rinsed it all out thorougly and mixed some of the leftover coconut milk with my Sap Moss Shampoo. It lathered up SO well and left my hair feeling clean but not stripped. I then DC'd with just the Damage Remedy Condish, since my hair was feeling nice and strong from the pre-poo.

I then rinsed my hair and began to rollerset. I'm 15 weeks post with a lot of NG and I had zero problems rolleresetting and barely lost any hair throughout the entire washing process. :eek:

After my hair dried (I dried it on a low setting then airdried it the rest of the way), I took out my rollers and was met with BLINGING, o-so-soft bouncy curls. I had my scissor and my flat iron and serum/pomade all ready to dust and S&D some split ends while I was flatironing but I soon realized I had nothing to cut!! :eek: :grin:

This is MAJOR for me, 'cause I can be kinda scissor-happy:look: , and had given myself the go-ahead mentally to snip away to my heart's content. But I ended up cutting absolutely nothing!!

Anyhoo to make a long story short, I had a reeeeeeeeally great washing experience, due in large part to all the yummy food stuff I used in my hair. So here's my list of all the stuff that can be found in your fridge and pantry that I've used in my hair before and definitely reccomend (and why!):yep:

-whole egg (protein and sulfur, also turns mixes into a gel-like consistency)
-honey (natural humectant, draws moisture into your hair)
-coconut milk (increased softness)
-coconut oil (fabulous shine, softness, great for sealing)
-mayo (protein)
-avacado (moisture/conditioning)
-yogurt (protein/conditioning, and great for use in getting henna mixes to a good consistency)
-apple cider vinegar (clarifying, controls porosity)

Just thought I'd share ladies, 'cause as always, if it weren't for this board, you'd better believe I would have never used ANY of this stuff in my hair!!:lol:

janiebaby

Question: I washed my hair the other day and put gel in it that turned it to mush, would you recommend that I do a prepoo or just clarify and wait until my next wash day?

SohoHair

janiebaby said:
Question: I washed my hair the other day and put gel in it that turned it to mush, would you recommend that I do a prepoo or just clarify and wait until my next wash day?

I'd prob clarify first, if the gel didn't agree with your hair you'll want to get it all out first before conditioning, etc.

Radianthealth

I love all of these natural products, I also like Vegetable Glycerine and I am going to start using Aloe Vera Juice in my hair.

I have a ton of other food items I put in my hair. For shedding I use crushed garlic heated and immersed in olive oil. I use this as a prepoo treatment mixed with peppermint essential oils.

I also made some henna with lemon juice and cinnamon coffee to dye my hair tonight.:D

Sohohair,

Your hair looks great, healthy, and lush! :)

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

Sounds like a yummy pre-poo! I've used most of those items in my hair already. I have another can of coconut milk I need to use up....I might mix that up with some amla oil for pre-pooing this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
My hair loves mayo, coconut oil, coconut milk, honey and ACV rinses, and especially henna. I've yet to try egg though. I've made a lots of my own conditioning and pre-poo conconctions using natural ingredients mixed with commercial conditioners and oils. My only problem is that I never record the amounts/measurements of anything I use, so I can never re-create the exam same formula; I guess I just kinda measure by eye but my experiments always turn out great for my hair.

Angelicus

hey, I just posted in the thread about loving chemicals, but everyone knows that my hair is a food junkie. I am about to put mayo+yogurt in my hair right now.

SohoHair

trimbride said:
I love all of these natural products, I also like Vegetable Glycerine and I am going to start using Aloe Vera Juice in my hair.

I have a ton of other food items I put in my hair. For shedding I use crushed garlic heated and immersed in olive oil. I use this as a prepoo treatment mixed with peppermint essential oils.

I also made some henna with lemon juice and cinnamon coffee to dye my hair tonight.:D

Sohohair,

Your hair looks great, healthy, and lush! :)

Oh my goodness thanks for much for the compliment, you totally made my day!! :kiss: Sometimes I feel my hair is just light years behind everyone else's, so I really REALLY appreciate it.

That garlic treatment of yours sounds amazing and I will definitely write that down to keep in mind for the future.

adw425

Sohohair: I am right there with you. Last night, I mixed up yogurt, coconut milk, irish moss, ground fenugreek, one egg, apple cider vinegar, honey with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I may have put a dollop of aloe vera in it, too. The only thing not in refrigerator or kitchen cabinet was the Hello Hydration. (I don't really even need the conditioner to thicken the concoction because the tiniest bit of irish moss does that. After whipping with a whisk, I have a heavenly hair concoction.)

I left the mixture on for an hour as I got on the computer researching where I could buy a big bottle of rosewater because I am out and then rinsed it well in the shower. I am so in love with coconut milk that I have co-washed with it practically daily mixed with conditioner and I usually only co-wash once a week.

I haven't added lime, but I can confirm that CM loosens the curl pattern dramatically. I am not interested in a loose curl pattern, though, just the softness that it brings and how after using, there are absolutely no tangles or snags anywhere. My hair hasn't matted or drawn up tight in well over a year, but it did gets tangles and snags and knots (all or one or the other) and they are non-existent when I use coconut milk.

I get: softness from the CM and no tangles/knots/snags; silkiness from the acv (I know it is the ACV because last week, I soaked my hair with ACV and water, left it in for about 45 minutes and rinsed; I did not even seal my hair with oil, butter or pomade because I was going to wash the next day, so I just satin scarfed it and had this amazingly silky hair the next morning, much to my surprise...); moisture retention and shine from the honey...Everytime I add egg, I seem to get this really light, fluffy hair with lots of body and bounce as well as strength.

Sorry y'all....I just got carried away because I am just in love with my hair today -- even more than usual...

GoldenBreeze

SohoHair said:

Just thought I'd share ladies, 'cause as always, if it weren't for this board, you'd better believe I would have never used ANY of this stuff in my hair!!:lol:

Thanks SohoH, I just learned something. I knew ACV was for clarifying, but I didn't know that it also controls porosity.

LovelyLionessa

This is a really good thread, this reminds me to use my coconut milk tonight when I pre-poo. I have heard so many great things about this, the fact that it both conditions and straightens, I'm sold. Plus my Thai Kitchen coconut milk smells so yummy, I can't wait to get it into my hair. :lick:

adw425

It doesn't straighten my hair, but it does loosen the curl pattern and conditions, detangles, softens. I don't remember the brand I got at Krogers; it was watery and grainy, but it got the job done. I bought the Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk Friday from Whole Foods and, my gosh, it is like night and day from the other...It is thick, smooth, creamy, a conditioner-like consistency right out of the can. I will never buy any other brand.

SohoHair

adw425 said:
It doesn't straighten my hair, but it does loosen the curl pattern and conditions, detangles, softens. I don't remember the brand I got at Krogers; it was watery and grainy, but it got the job done. I bought the Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk Friday from Whole Foods and, my gosh, it is like night and day from the other...It is thick, smooth, creamy, a conditioner-like consistency right out of the can. I will never buy any other brand.

Darn, I just came from Whole Foods!! I'll have to check around to see if my local groceries have this brand, if not I'll be back on my way to Whole Foods soon.:driver:

Lucia

SohoHair said:
So last night I did a couple of new thing that turned out quite wonderfully. I made a fabulous pre-poo with Vo5 Tea Therapy, honey, Amla oil, coconut milk, Vatika Oil, a tablespoon of unreleased henna (mostly for consitency), and one whole egg. I covered my hair with a shower cap and used a thermal cap for about 1 hour.

Then I rinsed it all out thorougly and mixed some of the leftover coconut milk with my Sap Moss Shampoo. It lathered up SO well and left my hair feeling clean but not stripped. I then DC'd with just the Damage Remedy Condish, since my hair was feeling nice and strong from the pre-poo.

I then rinsed my hair and began to rollerset. I'm 15 weeks post with a lot of NG and I had zero problems rolleresetting and barely lost any hair throughout the entire washing process. :eek:

After my hair dried (I dried it on a low setting then airdried it the rest of the way), I took out my rollers and was met with BLINGING, o-so-soft bouncy curls. I had my scissor and my flat iron and serum/pomade all ready to dust and S&D some split ends while I was flatironing but I soon realized I had nothing to cut!! :eek: :grin:

This is MAJOR for me, 'cause I can be kinda scissor-happy:look: , and had given myself the go-ahead mentally to snip away to my heart's content. But I ended up cutting absolutely nothing!!

Anyhoo to make a long story short, I had a reeeeeeeeally great washing experience, due in large part to all the yummy food stuff I used in my hair. So here's my list of all the stuff that can be found in your fridge and pantry that I've used in my hair before and definitely reccomend (and why!):yep:

-whole egg (protein and sulfur, also turns mixes into a gel-like consistency)
-honey (natural humectant, draws moisture into your hair)
-coconut milk (increased softness)
-coconut oil (fabulous shine, softness, great for sealing)
-mayo (protein)
-avacado (moisture/conditioning)
-yogurt (protein/conditioning, and great for use in getting henna mixes to a good consistency)

Me too, I've used all these on your list and a few more and I always get great results when I mix some natural food w/ my condish.
I swtched from coconut milk to coconut creme though, it's much thicker and less messy.

baby42

I WONDER IF MY HAIR WILL LIKE FOOD:look: I KNOW IT LIKE COCONUT AND OLIVE OIL:lol: WHEN I TAKE THE HAIR OUT OF BRAIDS I WILL LET THE EATING BEGAIN:lachen: :lachen: THANKS