French mesh rollers

albane

Sorry not having reacted earlier. Unfortunately I read the thread "MacherieHair - Since when did those rollers become French?!" only when it was already closed.

I do not want to hurt those who expressed a different opinion, but a few comments were unfair to Macherie. I exchanged messages with her several years ago, I do not have any interest in her business, but she always provided wise advice and she does not force anybody to be member on her site (and I am not) nor to purchase in her e Store. Her rollersetting technique is excellent and the result is outstanding - I mean her hair is beautiful. I do not doubt that other members may achieve same results, but she displayed her technique and provided good quality pictures. Also she is very committed to hair care, to her own hair and I am really appreciative of what she does.

Also the rollers she uses are really French built. I agree this is not space-oriented technique, however these rollers are much stronger and easy to use than the standard mesh rollers you find in the US shops. I have helped several members of the forum to purchase them from french shops at a time where they were not selling over the Internet. I know that all my friends in LHCF were very happy with the product, several asked me two times for the service ! These rollers were manufactured and widely used at the end of the 60s and at that time lot of French woman with long hair -which was fashion then - were rollersetting with those rollers. The hair salons were all fitted with a full row of large hairdryers. And on Saturdays, girls in their 15 to 18 were displaying big rollerset in the street and in the shops. Today such technique is now limited to some ethnic salons, however the rollers are still on sale in the haircare suplliers, so I imagine there is still a market.

You may know that I am personnaly an experienced rollersetter, but these "blue mesh" rollers remain my favorites, no doubt.

I hope it clarifies

LushLox

Thanks for setting the record straight Albane - you are a roller setting legend!!

I need to hop onto the Eurostar and pick me up some of those rollers! :D

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Thanks for this.

I looked into getting some and found that while the actual cost of the rollers were not terribly expensive, the shipping prices were the stopping point.

Can you suggest another website where the same rollers can be ordered?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Thanks for this.

I looked into getting some and found that while the actual cost of the rollers were not terribly expensive, the shipping prices were the stopping point.

Can you suggest another website where the same rollers can be ordered?

mzteaze

what was the shipping cost and what website were you ordering from. I tried ordering from the link that was posted in the thread and they dont ship to the US,

Last edited:

mzteaze

@mzteaze

what was the shipping cost and what website were you ordering from. I tried ordering from the link that was posted in the thread and they dont ship to the US,

Myjourney2009 I sent the French website an email asking how much it costs to ship 4 packages of mesh rollers to the US.

Here is the reply:

Madame,

the price for USAS is 23.20€
thank you

Le 16/03/2011 06:25, Fashion Megastore a écrit :

23.20 euros = $32.86 USD :nono: <----thats for shipping alone

I am trying to get some tho.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
mzteaze

DANG

I see why Machaire is charging so much for the rollers

Although she may have gotten a discount for the each package because she is a business, I am sure she still paid a grip for each package.

Let me know how it works out for you.

mzteaze

Myjourney2009 I will let you know. I sent another email asking them to broker a deal with me to buy in bulk. Unless I can arrange a trip to France :drunk: soon...lol.

I wonder how many people would be interested in purchasing if I could get a bulk deal tho?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
mzteaze

I am sure someone would buy them

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I just re-read your message with the email from the company and I see the company would have sent you 4 packages for the price of 23+.

I take back what I said about Macharie charging that much for rollers. Her price is ridiculous, She has severly inflated her price:(

FutureMD

Um, unless these rollers roll themselves, it is amazing that you all are convinced that you need them or that they are really that superior to regular mesh rollers.
All someone has to do is have really long hair and they could sell black women just about anything.
And when did rollersetting become some big mystery to black women anyway. I had no idea that it had become some big hair secret/mystery. All of the women in my family style their hair with giant rollers. It works great if you have curly or wavy hair and want to get a relaxed/straightened look. If your hair is wavy and you use big rollers, you can get it in one step. If your hair is curly, you'll probably want to wrap it at the end.
Use bobby pins and end papers. There, that's the big secret and you dont' have to buy a DVD to know it.
I can't believe that people are acting like some girls on the internet discovered roller setting.

HappilyLiberal

@mzteaze

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I just re-read your message with the email from the company and I see the company would have sent you 4 packages for the price of 23+.

I take back what I said about Macharie charging that much for rollers. Her price is ridiculous, She has severly inflated her price:(

That price is the shipping cost ALONE!!!!! It is not the price of the rollers + shipping. Furthermore, that 23+change is the shipping cost in Euros. With the current exchange rate, it would be around $32 in US dollars for shipping.

mzteaze

@mzteaze

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Myjourney2009

Hehe no. Here is what Fashion Megastore would have charged:

50mm rollers were 7.50 euros for 6 rollers in a pack. So to purchase 24 rollers, that works out to $42.58 USD. Plus shipping, the total package would have cost $75.44 for 24 rollers to be shipped to the US.

Now, 12 rollers in a pack are 12.99 Euro ($18.41 USD). If I purchased 24 rollers that works out to $69.69 USD (including the $32.86 shipping charge).

So she is charging $30 for 12 rollers - not too bad considering, its cheaper for me to get 24 rollers from her than to have them sent directly to me from Fashion Megastore.

mzteaze

Um, unless these rollers roll themselves, it is amazing that you all are convinced that you need them or that they are really that superior to regular mesh rollers.
All someone has to do is have really long hair and they could sell black women just about anything.
And when did rollersetting become some big mystery to black women anyway. I had no idea that it had become some big hair secret/mystery. All of the women in my family style their hair with giant rollers. It works great if you have curly or wavy hair and want to get a relaxed/straightened look. If your hair is wavy and you use big rollers, you can get it in one step. If your hair is curly, you'll probably want to wrap it at the end.
Use bobby pins and end papers. There, that's the big secret and you dont' have to buy a DVD to know it.
I can't believe that people are acting like some girls on the internet discovered roller setting.

I'm sorry but that is a wide assumption on your part. While it isn't that she (Macherie) is teaching anything new in terms of technique, I happened to prefer using a quality product which, the last time I checked was my option considering that its my money being spent. I checked with my local BSS and was displeased with the quality of the mesh rollers and chose to investigate purchasing another product of a reportedly higher quality. I'm sorry that offends you but as I stated, its the option of any consumer such as myself out there.

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

I've been rollersetting my hair since I was 13 and got my first relaxer. But I had my mom, my aunt, and three female older cousins to help me. I didn't need her video. But, there are some women who didn't have five older females who could help them. Macherie's video (I saw several clips) is well produced and provides a lot of useful information for women who need the help. Many women have commented on the usefulness of her video. If I ever felt the need to use clips instead of roller pins, I would probably buy the video myself. The bottom line is that if some people find her products/videos useful enough then good for them. If you don't find it useful, good for you!

But the "crabs in a barrel" mentality has got to stop. Some of the people knocking her are the first to line up to give the Asians--who wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire--their money at the BSS for cheap, inferior products. And we wonder why we don't control any economic capital in this country.

I normally don't comment in these threads but I make an exception in Macherie's case because she was a member when I first joined and I found her, Sistaslick, and Sylver2 to be three of the friendliest most helpful people on the board.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
That price is the shipping cost ALONE!!!!! It is not the price of the rollers + shipping. Furthermore, that 23+change is the shipping cost in Euros. With the current exchange rate, it would be around $32 in US dollars for shipping.

Yes I meant to write 32 I transposed the numbers typing so fast (note to self spell check)

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Myjourney2009

Hehe no. Here is what Fashion Megastore would have charged:

50mm rollers were 7.50 euros for 6 rollers in a pack. So to purchase 24 rollers, that works out to $42.58 USD. Plus shipping, the total package would have cost $75.44 for 24 rollers to be shipped to the US.

Now, 12 rollers in a pack are 12.99 Euro ($18.41 USD). If I purchased 24 rollers that works out to $69.69 USD (including the $32.86 shipping charge).

So she is charging $30 for 12 rollers - not too bad considering, its cheaper for me to get 24 rollers from her than to have them sent directly to me from Fashion Megastore.

Thanks for doing the math (because I wasn't) off the top of my head it seemed ridiculous.

Honestly it still does from both. There is no way I would spend that much on rollers now or ever (now that I have thought about it some more):spinning:.

mzteaze

Thanks for doing the math (because I wasn't) off the top of my head it seemed ridiculous.

Honestly it still does from both. There is no way I would spend that much on rollers now or ever (now that I have thought about it some more):spinning:.

Myjourney2009

LOL not a problem - I did the math the other day to see if it was even worth the effort.

I heard back from the store again and they are willing to offer a good sized discount in exchange for a bulk purchase. So if I can work out a decent price on shipping...I just might be able to make it work financially. If I can get enough, I will probably just sell them on ebay til they are all gone.

Just cracks me up that it takes a little negotiating for a $12 pack of rollers. :lol:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Myjourney2009

LOL not a problem - I did the math the other day to see if it was even worth the effort.

I heard back from the store again and they are willing to offer a good sized discount in exchange for a bulk purchase. So if I can work out a decent price on shipping...I just might be able to make it work financially. If I can get enough, I will probably just sell them on ebay til they are all gone.

Just cracks me up that it takes a little negotiating for a $12 pack of rollers. :lol:

mzteaze

Good for you, persistance pays off.

Make that money, shoot everybody else is.

Amcd

@Myjourney2009

Will you be getting different sizes or just the big blue rollers? I purchased some from Macherie (at the discounted member price) but would also like the next size down.

mzteaze

Will you be getting different sizes or just the big blue rollers? I purchased some from Macherie (at the discounted member price) but would also like the next size down.

I was considering getting all kinds of sizes. If there is an interest in other sizes, let me know.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i would like some french mesh rollers. the ones at the bss seem so flimsy. how much would it cost for 24?

mzteaze

i would like some french mesh rollers. the ones at the bss seem so flimsy. how much would it cost for 24?

I am working out a price right now. Just keep in mind while they are willing to cut the price for the products, the big problem is international shipping price. Will Try to get it down as low as possible. Will update in the proper forum soon I hope.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I am working out a price right now. Just keep in mind while they are willing to cut the price for the products, the big problem is international shipping price. Will Try to get it down as low as possible. Will update in the proper forum soon I hope.

Hey mzteaze why can't we get a French member to send us the rollers? I have stuff sent to me all the time from friends and family in different countries, the shipping is cheaper, it comes quicker and customs for personal items shipped is not as harsh or time-consuming as items from international businesses? Just a thought.

mzteaze

Hey mzteaze why can't we get a French member to send us the rollers? I have stuff sent to me all the time from friends and family in different countries, the shipping is cheaper, it comes quicker and customs for personal items shipped is not as harsh or time-consuming as items from international businesses? Just a thought.

I sent a PM to the OP as she is the only member that I know of that lives in France. If there are others that are willing to help out, I am willing to chat with them.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I sent a PM to the OP as she is the only member that I know of that lives in France. If there are others that are willing to help out, I am willing to chat with them.

Yea, I thought she would have offered, but I know for a fact there are 2 or 3 French members on here, I'm just trying to remember who they are.

MissMusic

Help me understand..Why not just buy them from Macherie? Shipping is only $6.

I am not throwing stones, I just don't understand why you would go through the trouble of getting them shipped from France when you can buy in the US and get them in no time flat.

MissMusic

I've been rollersetting my hair since I was 13 and got my first relaxer. But I had my mom, my aunt, and three female older cousins to help me. I didn't need her video. But, there are some women who didn't have five older females who could help them. Macherie's video (I saw several clips) is well produced and provides a lot of useful information for women who need the help. Many women have commented on the usefulness of her video. If I ever felt the need to use clips instead of roller pins, I would probably buy the video myself. The bottom line is that if some people find her products/videos useful enough then good for them. If you don't find it useful, good for you!

But the "crabs in a barrel" mentality has got to stop. Some of the people knocking her are the first to line up to give the Asians--who wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire--their money at the BSS for cheap, inferior products. And we wonder why we don't control any economic capital in this country.

I normally don't comment in these threads but I make an exception in Macherie's case because she was a member when I first joined and I found her, Sistaslick, and Sylver2 to be three of the friendliest most helpful people on the board.

Thank you for this. I usually just do not have the energy to respond to the foolishness.