French mesh rollers

blackberry815

Sorry not having reacted earlier. Unfortunately I read the thread "MacherieHair - Since when did those rollers become French?!" only when it was already closed.

I do not want to hurt those who expressed a different opinion, but a few comments were unfair to Macherie. I exchanged messages with her several years ago, I do not have any interest in her business, but she always provided wise advice and she does not force anybody to be member on her site (and I am not) nor to purchase in her e Store. Her rollersetting technique is excellent and the result is outstanding - I mean her hair is beautiful. I do not doubt that other members may achieve same results, but she displayed her technique and provided good quality pictures. Also she is very committed to hair care, to her own hair and I am really appreciative of what she does.

Also the rollers she uses are really French built. I agree this is not space-oriented technique, however these rollers are much stronger and easy to use than the standard mesh rollers you find in the US shops. I have helped several members of the forum to purchase them from french shops at a time where they were not selling over the Internet. I know that all my friends in LHCF were very happy with the product, several asked me two times for the service ! These rollers were manufactured and widely used at the end of the 60s and at that time lot of French woman with long hair -which was fashion then - were rollersetting with those rollers. The hair salons were all fitted with a full row of large hairdryers. And on Saturdays, girls in their 15 to 18 were displaying big rollerset in the street and in the shops. Today such technique is now limited to some ethnic salons, however the rollers are still on sale in the haircare suplliers, so I imagine there is still a market.

You may know that I am personnaly an experienced rollersetter, but these "blue mesh" rollers remain my favorites, no doubt.

I hope it clarifies

Compared to the magnetic rollers do u find that your hair is moisturized after a rollerset using these rollers? I've read a few threads where people said there hair was more dry using mesh rollers. Also does the mesh coating snag or pull your hair at all?

blackberry815

Also I'd like to know how to place roller pins when rolling up. I know the first roller goes in like this / but then how could u put the pins through the rollers above them for the rollers after that. I get how to do it when rolling down you put the first pin in like \ and then the rest can go in horizontally through the ones above them... If u can offer an explanation for pin placement rolling up I would appreciate it. Sorry for all the questions.. Lol

tomnikids3

Tomnikids3,
no they do not come in bigger sizes. However I ma not sure it would be worth to get such bigger size. Asd they are longer than the grey magnetic rollers, full rollerset with these rollers are already quite massive, so not sure a lot of us would go for a bigger size.....

I normally like the bigger ones because the curls are much looser, then i can just blow out the roots and not the rest of my hair. From what i saw in the video it looks like the blue ones are approximately the size of the grey magenetic rollers which is as small as i would want to go.

blackberry815

Ok I got these in blue and I tried them on dry hair (just to practice)... I could not get the pins thing for the life of me and when I did it wasn't tight enough... Also the packs of rollers don't come with enough pins and I haven't seen these pinss in any bss store. Maybe with wet hair it work better. If anyone knows how to work the pins help please! Lol

albane

I normally like the bigger ones because the curls are much looser, then i can just blow out the roots and not the rest of my hair. From what i saw in the video it looks like the blue ones are approximately the size of the grey magenetic rollers which is as small as i would want to go.

yes they are exactly the same diameter, but they are longer

albane

Ok I got these in blue and I tried them on dry hair (just to practice)... I could not get the pins thing for the life of me and when I did it wasn't tight enough... Also the packs of rollers don't come with enough pins and I haven't seen these pinss in any bss store. Maybe with wet hair it work better. If anyone knows how to work the pins help please! Lol

Dear Blackberry,
You certainly shoudl use on wet hair. as for he pins, I sent you a PM

Ltown

Greyland
@albane, is there other ways to order these? I think you have to be a member of healthy texture. I used to have some good stable mesh rollers and my curls were great back in my early natural days.

Last edited:

LushLox

I do not know how to get the rollers to stay in with the pins.

@H4irHappy

As well a securing the pin to the base try placing the pins in the middle in between the rollers, I'm sure they'll stay in place if you try it that way.

blackberry815

@albane, is there other ways to order these? I think you have to be a member of healthy texture. I used to have some good stable mesh rollers and my curls were great back in my early natural days.

I'm not a member of healthy textures but I ordered them from her website. Looks like you get 30 % off if you are a member though

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

You can order directly from France. However, the cost of shipping is what makes it a bit impractical.

Ltown

Greyland
I order my rollers from healthy texture no membership needed. These are the best mesh rollers ever the wire is strong you can't even squeeze the rollers with your hands. They are also large, really 1 pack is enough. For those who think they are too much, think of of them as investment that will last a long time and i know i have paid $30 for conditioner to wash down the drain. I'm i brought them, thanks Sunshine_One for encouragement.

blackberry815

Hi ladies,

I brought 2 packs of the french rollers by accident the system didn't show my first order processing but anyway I don't need 2 packs, these rollers are large and I'm just between SL-APL. Before I place on exchange board I wanted to offer them to someone here the same cost I paid $35, please pm if interested no later than 14 April. thanks

Maybe you should try to do a set first just in case because you'll never know if you might need more. Have you used them before?

RossBoss

I

But the "crabs in a barrel" mentality has got to stop. Some of the people knocking her are the first to line up to give the Asians--who wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire--their money at the BSS for cheap, inferior products. And we wonder why we don't control any economic capital in this country.

I normally don't comment in these threads but I make an exception in Macherie's case because she was a member when I first joined and I found her, Sistaslick, and Sylver2 to be three of the friendliest most helpful people on the board.

Last time I said something like this, some broad who is a member here (can't remember who) rolled up in the thread claiming to be half Asian and basically felt "offended" and said it was our fault that they treat us the way they do. :rolleyes:

Ltown

Greyland
Maybe you should try to do a set first just in case because you'll never know if you might need more. Have you used them before?

I have and I won't ever need 2 sets of these rollers, I used 11 rollers put alot of hair on all of them and my hair was nice and straight. Do you have them? they really are large! thanks!

blackberry815

I have and I won't ever need 2 sets of these rollers, I used 11 rollers put alot of hair on all of them and my hair was nice and straight. Do you have them? they really are large! thanks!

Oh ok. I haven't used mines yet I plan to give them a try tonight. Are you relaxed or natural? How did your hair feel? I just estimated based on macherie's tutorial that I might need around 14 rollers. Could be wrong but we'll see tonight! Lol

Solitude

ok...finally ordered mine. I ordered one set. Hopefully, it'll be enough. I don't use as many magnetic rollers as Gennifer uses, so it'll probably be fine. I got the member discount, so it was $21.00 plus $5.00 for shipping.

Ltown

Greyland
Oh ok. I haven't used mines yet I plan to give them a try tonight. Are you relaxed or natural? How did your hair feel? I just estimated based on macherie's tutorial that I might need around 14 rollers. Could be wrong but we'll see tonight! Lol

I used 11 i have small head and fine hair no way i could fit 2 packs, but i really thought macherie used some regularsin the front which are small. I don't rollerset my hair much. I have a buyer ladies so thanks!

Sunshine_One

I order my rollers from healthy texture no membership needed. These are the best mesh rollers ever the wire is strong you can't even squeeze the rollers with your hands. They are also large, really 1 pack is enough. For those who think they are too much, think of of them as investment that will last a long time and i know i have paid $30 for conditioner to wash down the drain. I'm i brought them, thanks @Sunshine_One for encouragement.

Your welcome girlie!

I'm glad you got them and are pleased with them. :yep:

I wish I knew you were selling your 2nd pack. I finally used mine today...and I absolutley need another pack. I had to supplement with my grey rollers...and I like the result from the french mesh sooo much better. I should have just ordered two from the get go..oh well live and learn.

I'm still on a learning curve with those pins. I could not find any pins that matched the length of the french pins. So I got a pack of the long duck bill pins. They work like a charm. I recommend using them if anyone is having trouble with pin placement and is impatient like me! :blush: I even used a few of the shorter clips and those work almost as good.

ETA: As I posted back thread I decided to join Macherie's site and take advantage of the discount and satisfy my curiousity. I'm so glad I did. :yep: She has GREAT tutorials on rollersetting. She covers various types of sets. I've been setting my hair for many years and I still picked up some good tips. There is definitley an audience out there that will prefer that type of step by step info. IMO the tutorials alone were well worth the 10 bucks I paid for the 30 day membership.

HTH

Last edited:

blackberry815

I used 11 i have small head and fine hair no way i could fit 2 packs, but i really thought macherie used some regularsin the front which are small. I don't rollerset my hair much. I have a buyer ladies so thanks!

That is a good point! Welp I'm under the dryer now with my deep conditioner so hopefully I can be back to report my review of the rollers soon.. Thanks!

Ltown

Greyland
Your welcome girlie!

I'm glad you got them and are pleased with them. :yep:

I wish I knew you were selling your 2nd pack. I finally used mine today...and I absolutley need another pack. I had to supplement with my grey rollers...and I like the result from the french mesh sooo much better. I should have just ordered two from the get go..oh well live and learn.

I'm still on a learning curve with those pins. I could not find any pins that matched the length of the french pins. So I got a pack of the long duck bill pins. They work like a charm. I recommend using them if anyone is having trouble with pin placement and is impatient like me! :blush: I even used a few of the shorter clips and those work almost as good.

ETA: As I posted back thread I decided to join Macherie's site and take advantage of the discount and satisfy my curiousity. I'm so glad I did. :yep: She has GREAT tutorials on rollersetting. She covers various types of sets. I've been setting my hair for many years and I still picked up some good tips. There is definitley an audience out there that will prefer that type of step by step info. IMO the tutorials alone were well worth the 10 bucks I paid for th30 day membership.

HTH

Oh i'm sorry didn't know you only had one. I could never get two set in my hair, they are large and just using 11 got me what i need. Macherie was my first hair site and guru so you are right her information is on point.

blackberry815

Ok so the rollers surprised me because while I was under the dryer I was sure my hair was not gonna come out right. But when I took my rollers out my hair looked comparable to my wet sets with magnetics. I took a picture of what it looked like after the wrap came down. My one negative about these rollers would be that I can't find those long metal pins. I tried using the plastic ones from the bss but I felt like they were too thick and ruining the mesh... Paid too much money for these rollers to have them destroyed by roller pins. So now I'm on a search for these pins. Also my hair was not totally dry I had some questionable spots so I just wrapped it up pretty tight and I think that took care of it. I'm going to try to upload a picture from my phone of the final look when I took down my wrap this morning. Oh and I recommend practicing pin placement on dry hair that helped a lot. If anyone knows where I can find long metal pins please let me know. I also used about 15 rollers.

Attachments

• IMG00022-20110413-0751.jpg
    IMG00022-20110413-0751.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

LushLox

So do you guys find that you have long lasting curls with these rollers? I think they might be too big for my hair, maybe when I get more length. :scratchch

blackberry815

[QU
OTE=Sunshine_One;13220307]blackberry815

I'm not sure if you saw my post up thread. But I mentioned how I was successful at using the long duck bill clips to secure the rollers. HTH[/QUOTE]

Thanks sunshine but the reason I wanted to try these rollers was too avoid damage from the clips. So I'm opting not to use them. I also forgot to mention that I think sliding the pins through the rollers could probably also cause damage because I felt like I was probably snapping hairs sticking the pin through them to secure the rollers..... Can't win. Lol

blackberry815

So do you guys find that you have long lasting curls with these rollers? I think they might be too big for my hair, maybe when I get more length. :scratchch

I didn't get tight curls they were pretty loose, nothing that striked me as lasting but I think with setting lotion you could get lasting curls. I'm more of a body wrap person so I don't mind it not being curly.

healthytext

Another data point: I contacted BOSC, the company that manufactures these rollers, and found that they're willing to ship to the United States.

Here's the price quote:

50mm - 2 bags of 12: 15€
40mm - 1 bag of 12: 7€
shipping: 30€

Total:
52€ + whatever your bank charges for international wire transfers