FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE. Spinoff for 09 BC.

fabbodbobbi

hey ladies!!!
I'm so glad this thread was easy to find. it's bn a while. still wearing braids and will continue throughout this summer. following the crown & glory method. moisturize every other day with essential oils and castor oil.
I've added silk powder in my shampoo as well.

not sure if it's a bad thing or not. but I do not wash my hair that often when my hair is in braids. i wash every 2 or 4 wks. what do ur opinion?

how's everyone doing so far?!
HHG.
BObbie

natalie20121

Just checking in ladies. I haven't posted in forever. Life has definitely taken over. But anyway I have definitely had some set backs. I lost a lot of length do some color damage that I got from highlights. I said I would never do it but did it anyway and that set me back. I also did a BKT which I regret and so i have been nursing my hair back to health. I started out with 5 inches and I just measured at 10.5 inches so although I had set backs I still grew a nice amount of hair. I have 10 more inches until I reach waist length and I can't wait! So I think I'm still on track for July 2013 however I may cut off about 5 inches when I reach my goal to get rid of the Bkt'd hair. although its still curly the texture to me feels to silky and I much rather my kinky texture better. Stay tuned for pics.

moore.1506

Hi ladies! Ive been MIA for a long time. But i'd like to catch up. I've been a little down on my natural hair lately. I love the look of twist outs that have some hang to them, but my hair isn't long enough (as a natural) to have hang yet. I was itching for a relaxer but being overseas has helped me stay away from it. I did a length check im about collar bone length right now. I put in braids about 1 month and 3 weeks ago. I am keeping them in for one more week then I gotta get rid of these things! I will soon be back in the US and I am going to try to start a more natural regimine and see if that makes me more happy with my hair.

• I plan to find some shampoo to use from Whole Foods
  • Use natural conditioners, try some different homemade recipes
  • Jojoba, EVOO, coconut oil
  • Water, glycerin, and aloe vera as a moisturizer
  • Twists all week, twist out on the weekends
  • Maybe change up the style once a month
  • Possibly use some heat to stretch my fro once every 2 months
  • July is my one year BC anniversary! (Nappiversary?)
Here are some pictures

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Checking in, just enjoying my hair and all the moisture giving humidity... My hair is happy n growing wonderfully. I think I have about 2" to go in the back till I get to apl. Hoping I can get there by October/December. HHG!

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF App

ZkittyKurls

i did get a chance to do a quick measure of the front and i noticed that when i first posted in the beggining the front of my hair was 5.5 inches...now its about 7.5 inches!!! so from nov til now with two trims, ive retained 2 inches! not too bad bein that the front grows slower for me. i definetly took down one of my mini twists just to do a length check in the front. lol!! its twisted back up and will do a real length check after the summer.

ZkittyKurls

i did get a chance to do a quick measure of the front and i noticed that when i first posted in the beggining the front of my hair was 5.5 inches...now its about 7.5 inches!!! so from nov til now with two trims, ive retained 2 inches! not too bad bein that the front grows slower for me. i definetly took down one of my mini twists just to do a length check in the front. lol!! its twisted back up and will do a real length check after the summer.

quoted myself because i did a quick length check and i am actually 8.5 inches in the front, 8 inches on the sides and 9 inches in the back...im guessing when i did my mini trims, i evened some of the hair all around, or maybe the layers are just growing put on its own. i dunno. but im excited!!! so im guessing with another trim between now and november, i should have around 10 or 11 inches of hair which would make me APL! :drunk:

ZkittyKurls

Hi ladies! i currently have my yarn braids in and i like them...its alot tho. but i dont have to worry about my hair for two months. i actually miss when i was transitioning and i would always have my hair in some protective style for months at a time. so im getting back into the swing of things, besides i am not the type that likes doing my hair on an everyday basis anyways so this should be good for me.

I will be trying at least 1 or 2 new styles with these braids every week and once they are out, i will be doing a trim...about a 1/2 inch or so. And then November will be my one yr! so until next time

HHG!!

winona

Update will be doing a length check on Thursday. I cant post results bc I am in the HYH challenge but I will let you ladies know how it goes:)

fabbodbobbi

Hello Ladies,

I know its been a while. Although Ive been out of site I have always kept this challenge and all you ladies in mind.

I see some great progress among everyone. This is so encouraging. Keep it up!!!
Im happy to say that I finally have mastered my hair care. Unfortunately I have not taken photos. The reason because Im trying to change my way of thinking. By focusing on taking care of my care as if its a natural process just like walking with one foot in front of the other. Earlier in the challenge I drove myself crazy...yes I can get obsessed with wanting to see results. So I had to step away to enjoy the journey.
So far my current regi since I have taken the braids out in Aug 2011. I wear my hair in protective styles and use the green house effect method (or baggy) every other night. This method keeps my from getting dry and brittle. I teach dance and work out 5 days a week; this method has worked well with my lifestyle and hair.
I reduced shampooing my hair to once a month along with a deep protien and moisture condish.

Hopefully I find the courage to post some pic next month.

HHG!

Bobbie

NikkiQ

I think for winter, I'm gonna stick with twists and braids under wigs during the week and then outs for a week. Its working GREAT so far :)

ZkittyKurls

Im an inch away from apl in the back! I think i will trim every 3 months starting in january. I am hoping to be full apl by may. So i will be putting in temporary locs from the end of january-april. I straightened my hair andleft it for 3 wks...loved it although i do believe my curls were slightly loosened...not worried tho because its still just as kinky as ever..so i will be able to get one more protein treatmentin before my ps. Happy holidays! :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

manter26

I'm hoping to finally have 12" of hair in 2012 and make BSL...maybe even MBL! I'm excited for my 3rd year of natural hair. :yep:

I'm in!!! Do I need to send a PM?

I BC'd last summer and have about 7" of hair.

Just to update my status update... (quoted post is from 6/2010) I now have about 9" at the bottom layers and 11-12" at the top. I was unwillingly cut blunt in Sept so the back is pretty short...I think I lost 2-3" but gained them back. I'm a slllloooooowwww grower as well so I average about 1/3 inch per month.

Pics are in my fotki which is in my profile here.

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

I even forgot this thread. Im wondering if it is really possible for be to obtain wl in 2013!!! My longest layers have reached apl not long ago.

manter26

The other thread got going again and I got jealous. :giggle: tagged everyone- I guess the deactivated didn't get tagged. Still 24 of us in it. Please post updates and if there's enough interest, I'd be happy to take over the challenge. :grin:

Last edited:

winona

Hi Ladies:) I am about 3 inches from BSL. WOoohoo:) The more I think about it I am not sure if I want to handle WL hair:/ but I think I will grow my hair just to see. The longer my hair gets the easier it is to keep it in a style. I think I just like the look of longer hair in PS. At least for my hair type (4a in back, straight-ish in front, 4b in the middle:/). I am in the hide your hair challenge so I can't post a length check but here are two bun comparisons:)

First one is with stuffing the second is just me:)

Attachments

• DSCN2935.jpg
    DSCN2935.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 20

manter26

^thanks for your update! I'm at about the same. 2-3 inches to BSL. I'm also hiding my hair but I may post an update in June anyway.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Couple weeks after bc

February 25, 2011

December 27, 2011. Didn't slick my edges down :nono:. This is the pic that made me go Curly Girl. Did a detox with Terressentials Mud wash and I have been CG for about 8 weeks now.

I am happy with my length. I am APL stretched.

Last edited:

Aggie

Wow this thread is a little old but anyway, I am back to neck length because of a major setback from a stylist that butchered my hair while taking out a weave in January. I have literally started all over again this year. I have about 4 inches of hair on my head now and can't wait to get back to shoulder and APL again.

nikki2229

Hey ladies. I have to take some pics but I have hovered at or around BSL for the last year due to SSK knots. I have decided to straighten my hair more often then the 2-4 times per yr due to non length retention. I will post a pic.

coolsista-paris

nikki2229 said:
Hey ladies. I have to take some pics but I have hovered at or around BSL for the last year due to SSK knots. I have decided to straighten my hair more often then the 2-4 times per yr due to non length retention. I will post a pic.

Ive also decided to straighten more...due to.ssk and no retention .

coolsista-paris

Aggie said:
Wow this thread is a little old but anyway, I am back to neck length because of a major setback from a stylist that butchered my hair while taking out a weave in January. I have literally started all over again this year. I have about 4 inches of hair on my head now and can't wait to get back to shoulder and APL again.

Sometimes i wonder if some stylists know their job,what they are doing.... Anyway keep on doing good.stuff and make that hair beautifuly come back. ;-)

manter26

[ This is the pic that made me go Curly Girl. Did a detox with Terressentials Mud wash and I have been CG for about 8 weeks now.

I am happy with my length. I am APL stretched.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. After I finish all my stuff with cones (Aussie Moist, etc) I think I'm going to purchase the Mud Wash and adopt CG from then on out.

Keep us updated on how it goes. I would love to see before and after pics.

Yes, the thread it old. It is meant to be a 4 year minimum challenge giving the class of '09 BC'er support getting to WL. Thanks for the update and good luck with your HHJ. Weave take down can be tricky, I cut a few tufts myself...but idk if I would trust someone else...

Thanks for the update. Be sure to keep us posted on the heat usage, etc.

Keeping my hair stretched helps tremendously with SSK. I usually have less than 10 at any given time and that's no big deal to me. I just cut them and keep it moving.

winona

Last night got about an inch cut by my hubby using creaclip:) so now I am 3 inches away from BSL:)

moore.1506

[IMG]http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/moore1506/110.jpg[/IMG]

My hair has reached right bellow the shoulder blades so its growing but i don't feel like im closer to waist length :nono:

moore.1506

Looking good moore.1506 ! You'll be WL in no time. Do you mind sharing your reggie with us? TIA

Sure! I don't always follow this exactly but this is basically what it is.

Once a week: Wash with Jason's Organics dandruff shampoo. If my hair is fairly detangled then I use my home made conditioner after I shampoo and I leave it on about 1 hour. If my hair is very tangled I use my conditioner as a prepoo, for 1 to 2 hours then wash with my shampoo and condition with Treasme natural conditoner for about 15 minutes.
Homemade conditioner: Treasme natural conditioner, coconut milk, couple of spoons of coconut oil, 1 spoon full of plain full fat yogurt. (This concoction cut my detangling time down to about 30 min)
Leave in: Kinky Curly leave in, seal with Jojoba oil.

Try to put on a bonnet or scarf nightly. Try to take a daily multivitamin, fish oil vit, and biotin vit. Drink only water with every meal and throughout the day.

In a perfect world I would wet it daily with water and seal with jojoba, but I don't always do this.

Right now I am in a sew in but I will be taking it out in about 2 weeks and putting in some kinky twists. I am doing a lot of weave right now cause I want length and I haven't been doing the things I need to do nightly to my hair.

Thanks for the encouragement manter26

winona

O No the cutting bug caught me in a dark ally last night. I was taking out so twists last night to freshen them up and I got a few tangles that I couldn't untangle so I grabbed the scissors and started cutting:/ O Well I guess I am just going to try and grow super healthy hair. I have no idea the damage I have done because it was in the middle of my head and I just used some activator gel to twist hair without adding the fake hair. I don't have any time to check out all the damage until next week after finals.