FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE. Spinoff for 09 BC.

Prettyeyes

08/15/09 BCer checking in...my regimen is still being tweaked cuz I'm color treated now, but for about a week or so I've been on a braidout regimen, washing every 3-4 days, moisturizing and rebraiding at night, only combing/picking on wash days, finger combing in between. I'm taking GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active and their HSN (which is changing back to Ultra Nourish once I finish this bottle), and as soon as I get off work I'm mixing up my own version of BT and will officially start using that on the 1st.

Excellent, how many inches?

Miss AJ

Oh crap, I haven't measured in MONTHS lol, but the back is touching the very top of my collarbone when stretched out...awww man, looks like i'll be doing an official measurement after work as well lol.

Prettyeyes

HAIR TYPE_Okay I was thinking today that as a relaxed head hair type is not as important but as a natural IT IS. You can not take care of something you can not understand. I am a mixture of 3c/4a and I have already begun treating the areas a bit differently and see better results! It doesn't matter which type you are it all looks great healthy and it all grows but you must claim it!
If you type your har wrong you will suffer by missing out on advice from people with the similar type!

I was in shock when I seen thehairlabs hair the other day she is the exact mix of 3c/4a that I am (Fluffy curls (finer) and kinky coils (more wiry) mixed in!, I think our hair is awesome!!!! My hair is super dense and hers is more sparse!:lick:

What is your hair type??? Tell me how awesome it is!!!

beauti4dlo

I would love to join!!!!! I big chopped in 2006, however I have not been the greatest at taking care of my hair. By now my hair should have been boomijg, however I believe I just have about 8 inches of hair.:-( I've watched and checked back on lhcf as so many ladie@ls beautiful hair blossomed with growth, as line sadly stayed the same. Fed up with It this weekend I declared that with much nourishment and care, I Will reach bsl if not mbl by next year.

Regime: cowash twice weekly, dc weekly. Protein treatment every three weeks. I will be doing lots of protective styles including buns, twists, braids, rollersets and weaves. Hair will be worn out minimally, and heat will only be used for treatments ( hooded dryer)... I'm super stoked and determined to grow some beautiful lengthy hair... let's do it ladies ;-)

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Ok I qualifly for this one. Sign me up also. I"m 5 inches all over. I'll take pics and post them next wash day.

HauteHippie

I'm definitely in! I have 5-7 inches of 4b/4a hair (probably less in the areas I umm...randomly cut in a late-night moment of frustration). I'd originally gone natural in April of '08, but texlaxed in January '09. I've sinced snipped all of my texlaxed hair off and I'm 100% au naturel. I'm protective styling with full sew-in weaves and (hopefully) tree braids.

Regimen:
Co-wash 3-4 times a week with Suave Almond & Shea butter. Spray Aussie Hair Insurance. On days I don't co-wash I'll spray my hair with water and Mane & Tail leave-in (newly added to regimen as of last week). I always water my hair is some way.

I apply castor oil to my scalp when I remember...

When my hair is out, I wash twice a week with Giovanni Smooth as Silk and apply their direct leave-in. I really like Giovanni's line.

When I first take out my install, I wash with Ojon Tuna Elastik and deep condition with their restorative treatment mixed with cholesterol. When I finish up with Ojon, I may try Joico. :eek:)

That's about it!

I forgot to add that I take Ultra Nourish vitamins, MSM, Vitamin C, Centrum Ultra for Women, and occassionally garlic.

I tend to take Echinacea/Goldenseal more regularly in the late-fall/winter, but I should take it more often...

I take iron b/c I'm anemic. I eat seaweed b/c I'm kinda weird-- but I fully embrace it :)

I was hoping to take another pic in the beginning of July, but didn't have a chance. The photo I took on June 22nd was really a texture shot taken with my phone, but you can see the length of my hair (not much longer than what is in the pic).

Attachments

• June 22.jpg
    June 22.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Platinum

Thank you for starting this thread, PrettyEyes! Ladies PM me if you have any questions!Good luck and HHG! We can do this!

My hair seems to be uneven but I'm measuring 5-6.75 inches. I'll post up to date pics soon.

This is my current regimen:

Shampoo with Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (Old formula) 1x/week
Clarifying/Chelate with Mizani Chelating Shampoo 1x/month
Cowashing with various conditioners every other day, DC'ing same days
Henna'ing once a month with Reshma Henna
Baggying overnight with Surge 14 and Worlds of Curls moisturizer spray every night
Moisturize daily with Worlds of Curls Activator gel
No heat

Here is the most recent pic, taken June 8:

Attachments

• afro June 2010.jpg
    afro June 2010.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 24

Aggie

:hiya: everyone. I'm in this challenge. I think I am about 5 inches I guess or close to it anyway. I can't wait to get my hair growing to new lengths:yep:.

Prettyeyes

WOW you ladies have grown so much since your last relaxer dates and BC dates!

Share which product/technique you want to nominate for the Product/Technique of the month for Platinum to choose from! This will help the ones that have been natural for years but have not progressed get starting ideas as well! HHG!

Prettyeyes

OK LADIES SINCE THIS IS A SPIN OFF AND YOU ARE NOT STARTING FROM TWA I AVERAGED THE LENGTHS AND TO BE FAIR THIS CHALLENGE WILL GO UNTIL JULY 1, 2013!

I WANT EVERYONE TO BE SUCCESSFUL HHG!!!

I changed this in the OP as well.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
My regimine:
DC over night with amla oil 1x a week
Wash 2x a week with chagrin valley shampoo bar( I have 8 samples so far i like the aruyvedic one)
Deep condition 1x a week with Jason aloe conditioner under hood dryer.
Deep condition 1x a month with Aubrey organics GBP conditoner under hooded dryer.
Clarify 1x a month with suave clarifying shampoo.
Air dry to take out some the water
Dry the rest of my hair under a hooded dryer, I leave it slightly damp.
Detangle with qhemet kinks coca tree detangler and detangling comb.
Grease my scalp with oil mixture( neem oil(stinky),lavander oil(to cover the stink),jbco,coconut oil, jojoba oil. Only a little not to make my scalp a grease ball
Moisturize with qhemet kinks amla heavy oil
Seal with sweet almond oil
Spritz with qhemet kinks karkady mist
Think thats it.....

Prettyeyes

Everyone please look over one another regi for tips and also offer advice if you think it will be helpful!

SouthernBeauty

Sign me up!!!! I did my bc Nov. 09 and my hair 4b! I am having trouble getting my photos uploaded :computer:... I will have them up by the end of the day though! My length 6 1/2 inches in the front.

Reggie:
Dc with heat once a week in the summer/fall (2x a week in the winter)
Moisturize day and night with the juice!
After National Fro Day I will be protective styling with braids and twist
Clarify as needed
I will only straighten during my nappiversary (and maybe not even then)!

Attachments

• 4263bf72.jpg
    4263bf72.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 16
  • 8a05e2f3.jpg
    8a05e2f3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture0010.jpg
    Picture0010.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Diva_Esq

I wish I could do this challenge! My goal is WL by 2013 (see my siggy). I BC'd too late though, I think. :( I began my transition on May 2, 2009 and BC'd on April 5, 2010. At that time, I had 4-5" of hair. Almost 3 months end and coming off my 1st end trim just yesterday since my BC, I have 6-7" of hair. I AM PROUDLY NATURAL! May I enter? PLEASEEEEEEEE!

Grand Prix

Re: FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE. SPINOFF.

Exceptions:
The only way you can be in this challenge with more than 9 inches (round down if not a full inch) of hair is if you last relaxed after October 08' (There has to be a cut-off)

I've got 10 inches of hair, but my last relaxer was October 19th 2008..
Could I still join??

Prettyeyes

I wish I could do this challenge! My goal is WL by 2013 (see my siggy). I BC'd too late though, I think. :( I began my transition on May 2, 2009 and BC'd on April 5, 2010. At that time, I had 4-5" of hair. Almost 3 months end and coming off my 1st end trim just yesterday since my BC, I have 6-7" of hair. I AM PROUDLY NATURAL! May I enter? PLEASEEEEEEEE!

Perfect example for this challenge!

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Hello Ladies. My last relaxer day was March 5, 2009 and I BC'd on April 22, 2010. My current hair length is 5 inches.
My reggie is still being tweaked but I can tell you what I am doing right now.

• I shampoo wash 2x a month, otherwise I cowash. I normally manipulate my hair (either by shampooing or cowashing) every 4 days or so. If I do it more often, it's because I have been in a pool, or I sweated quite a bit at work.
  • I DC my hair once a week under a steamer with Lustrasilk Shea cholesterol and Silicon Mix or ORS replenishing conditioner.
  • I shampoo my hair with (trying to use up my products) Garnier Fructis, Carol's Daughter or Uncle Funky Daughter's. I may even use VO5 since I need to use it up as well.
  • I cowash with Aussie Moist, Suave and I like to use Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor because my thin strands need protein at least once every other week. I also throw in some Nexxus Emergencee in my DC once a month.
  • I use my creamy leave ins (I have several that I use), moisturizer (curl activators), shea butter mixture and castor oil to seal.
Here are the pitchas!!!

Attachments

• June 29th length check 001.jpg
    June 29th length check 001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 15
  • June 29th length check 002.jpg
    June 29th length check 002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 16
  • June 29th length check 003.jpg
    June 29th length check 003.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 13
  • June 29th length check 004.jpg
    June 29th length check 004.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 12
  • June 29th length check 005.jpg
    June 29th length check 005.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 12

winona

I want to join this one! My last relaxer was in July 09. Most of my relaxed hair is gone, but stretched, I have about 6-8 inches (uneven due to relaxed ends).

My protective style will be sew-ins for at least next year or when I have about 12 inches.

I will upload pics this week also.

Supplements such as MSM, biotin, chlorella, ACV, and kelp will be a part of my daily diet for total body health.

Products on scalp will include esssential oils (scalp issues due to inflammation) and MT/MTG mixture. When I take my installs down, I will wear it out for a week to deep condition it, and treat it with protein.

I have been mixing a soothing gel for my scalp and it has really whipped it into shape. If you have some of these ingredients at home already it might be interesting to try. BTW I would not use this right before bed as it has a strong scent. I normally apply this after my morning workouts and by the time I get to work the smell has dissipated

1oz JBCO
1oz AVG
10 drops of rosemary, peppermint, ylang ylang, tea tree and cedarwood
.2oz emulsifier
1/4 tsp Germall Plus

SueA2

Please count me in. I've recently big chopped and I'm looking forward to a full head of beautiful, luxurious natural hair.

Diva_Esq

Perfect example for this challenge!

Sweet! I'm in! :yay: EXCITED! My regimen is simple: I cowash daily with HE None of Your Frizziness/ Yes to Carrots/ Bedhead Moisture Maniac/ Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition...basically a combo of at least 2 of my staple cheapie faves. Then I rinse, squeeze excess water, put in a generous amount of Victoria's Secret So Sexy Nourish Condish and some SheaMoisture Curl Smoothie. I put a little Garnier Wax on my front edges and comb through with my Denman (Teri's method), finger twirl some curls, brush the front down and put a hair zing in. Finger style the hair that is out, a little eco styler gel on my edges, scarf on my edges for about 20 mins while I get dress and go. (SEE SIGGY PIC FOR EXAMPLE OF FINISHED STYLE) I deep condish overnight with a baggy, baggied while exercising or under a dryer baggied about once every week or two. I only poo when I feel buildup or my hair won't act right, which is about once every 2-3 weeks. I get ends dusted every 3 months. Once my hair dries, if I have an event later in the evening, I brush it back into a loose puff sometimes and add a flower! Voila! WL in 2013, here I come! :D :D

Welcome Newcomers! Challenge begins July 1. Anyone using growth aids?

I'm excited! I take GNC Be Beautiful Hair, Nails & Skin Vits.