Fuzzy, Spongy Natural Hair

Armyqt

Hey natural ladies, I need your help again. My daughter's hair is very spongy and frizzes very easily. I don't know why this is. I don't braid her hair anymore because about 3 days later it looks horrible and needs to be redone. No matter what I've tried, it always does this. One thing I haven't tried is gel. Somehow I get the feeling her hair would still react the same way.

Also when I say her her is spongy, I mean it just absorbs products but then doesn't stay laid down. It just poofs up again. Can anyone relate? Any tips to help combat this for longer, neater looking styles will be greatly appreciated

deeplyrooted

It seems like my hair adores natural butters. I know we're in the middle of a PJ challenge,
, but mango butter and avocado butter have helped a lot. To a certain extint, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop the natural fuzzies from poppin' up, but the butters have definitely helped to pull back my hair with little incident.

loverofnaps71

DR: How do you use the mango butter? I have it but it's so gritty. Do you mix with other oils or melt it down? How do you melt it down? I'd like to use to do two-strand twists.

You can PM me if you wish...

Thanks in advance

deeplyrooted

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
DR: How do you use the mango butter? I have it but it's so gritty. Do you mix with other oils or melt it down? How do you melt it down? I'd like to use to do two-strand twists.

You can PM me if you wish...

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob. I'm gonna post here and send you a PM just in case someone else has the same question.

I melt my mango butter down in my hot pot *I live in the dorms with no stove* until it's a liquid, then I poured the last of my olive oil *about a 1/4 a cup* in with it and stirred for a bit until I felt it had melded together. I poured it back into my FNWL canister (it kinda over flowed, so you might want to have an extra canister ready for the extra volume). It's still kinda gritty, but it's not flakey like it use to be. I'm going to melt it down again and probably add another half cup of oil to it. You might want to add at least a cup of an oil to yours to make sure it's nice and creamy when you're done.

Armyqt

DR you're right about the butters. They really do a great job on her hair as well as mine. I couldn't be without them now. I use the avocado and shealoe butters btw. I should note that her hair stays looking better longer when I use one of these or coconut oil. I'd just like to knwo if other naturals experience this too.

deeplyrooted

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
DR you're right about the butters. They really do a great job on her hair as well as mine. I couldn't be without them now. I use the avocado and shealoe butters btw. I should note that her hair stays looking better longer when I use one of these or coconut oil. I'd just like to knwo if other naturals experience this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, I keep hearing about how good that shealoe butter is.
FNWL is gonna get a BIG order from me when the PJ Challenge is over.

But yeah, you're definitely not alone in experiencing this with your daughter's hair.

Does the coconut oil work better than any of your FNWL butters for moisture in general?

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Does the coconut oil work better than any of your FNWL butters for moisture in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

The FNWL Butters are very, very moisturizing. I actually have to say I like them better than coconut oil right now. They detangle the hair very well and make it easier to comb through. However, coconut oil is it for me when I'm trying to straighten her hair. It's the best, hands down!

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:
Be sure to apply products to soaking wet hair. That helps alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I rinse the conditioner from her hair I never use a towel. I only squezze the excess water fronm the hair. Would this be considered soaking wet? Or should I not squeeze the excess water out? tia

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:

[/ QUOTE ]

After I rinse the conditioner from her hair I never use a towel. I only squezze the excess water fronm the hair. Would this be considered soaking wet? Or should I not squeeze the excess water out? tia

[/ QUOTE ] ya'll already know im lovin the buttahs , but yes, no towel drying, the dripping wet hair is best to style from and add the butters to.

Irresistible

and btw i can relate, thats me and my daughter's hair to the T, have to add tons of constant moisture and no styles lasts very long at all.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] ya'll already know im lovin the buttahs , but yes, no towel drying, the dripping wet hair is best to style from and add the butters to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Iris, are you saying not even to squeeze the excess water from the hair?

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Iris, are you saying not even to squeeze the excess water from the hair?

[/ QUOTE ] ok maybe a little squeeze, i know i squeeze out a little, but i leave our hair dripping wet still and style from there, something about doin it that way helps..i dunno why

missykeyana

Thanks for posting this! My hair is fuzzy and spongy too and I think that the butters may work to make braids and twists last longer.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. I put a towel around my neck and go to work on my dripping hair.

hotshot

i make a butter from cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. its a variation of a recipe on the hair food for though website. well its pretty scrumptions and i only use it on wash day.

Mahalialee4

Applying pure aloe vera gel before the oils really helps to fight the frizzies and the "pouffe pouffe". Add to freshly washed slightly damp hair. Then I smooth with a soft brush. HTH Bonjour.

loverofnaps71

I find that it's better to use on completely dry hair. It helps control some of the shrinkage. I have MAJOR shrinkage issues and if I use the avocado butter to perform twists, for instance, on wet hair, the twists would just draw up and look too puffy. The butters help to direct the hair in a downward direction rather than an east-west direction, if you catch my drift.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
Applying pure aloe vera gel before the oils really helps to fight the frizzies and the "pouffe pouffe". Add to freshly washed slightly damp hair. Then I smooth with a soft brush. HTH Bonjour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Aubrey Organics aloe vera gel. I'll have to try that next time.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
I find that it's better to use on completely dry hair. It helps control some of the shrinkage. I have MAJOR shrinkage issues and if I use the avocado butter to perform twists, for instance, on wet hair, the twists would just draw up and look too puffy. The butters help to direct the hair in a downward direction rather than an east-west direction, if you catch my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. I usually use the butters on the wet hair to moisturize. But After it's dried I use it in conjunction with the wet S-Curl and it really helps with the frizz.

miss_brown

Cosigning on the applying products to *dripping* wet hair. The most I ever do to mine when wet styling is one squeeze as I get out of the shower. Before I started doing this, I had a lot more frizz and poofing
I still get a little of it when I wear natural styles (I think that it's inevitable to a certain extent), but I've learned to just deal with it. I even think that it adds a little "oomph" to my braid outs