FYI....ZEINA Professional African Hair Braiding in Philly (Plug)

Mystic

Just wanted to give a shout out to Zeina. I did a blunt cut recently to .5" of natural hair but after 10 days of my TWA I wanted a change. I went to 3 different hairdressers in Philly but was told my hair was too short. The last place I went to was Zeina, and that's a permanent stop for me!

I don't know how she did it - micro-braid .5" of hair but I got the hook up and it is hot! It's the best looking micro-braid I have ever seen! I am still amazed how she was able to braid my .5" hair pain free! I have been to many braiders in Philly with 8" of hair and walk out furious because they never do what I ask plus, my scalp would always be on fire!!

Zeina is attentive, courteous, professional and extremely talented. She recently relocated from NY (she has been there for 10 years) and purchased a salon in Upper Darby 4 months ago. She works alone (and already has so many customers in such a short time!). She has had customers in the entertainment industry - while I was watching the TV she pointed to an african american girl in a soap opera (I forgot which show) that she worked on. I am plugging her here because I know alot of people in Philly who are looking for good hair braiders. She does every single hair braiding/weave styles around. I will be going to her from now on. (Will take pic on the weekend).

ZEINA Professional African Hair Braiding
7016 Terminal Square
Upper Darby, PA
610-734-0700

Last edited:

Guyaneek

Ok! I can travel to philly for braids!!!! Only 30mins away. Is she reasonable? Price wise? Does she pull your hair so tight that she braids up the flesh of your scalp at the same time? :look: Does she have a problem with PICKY people?:look: Not me or anyone I know, just wondering :lol:

Mystic

Nope, she has the most patience I have ever seen in a hairdresser. If she combs your hair and you move slightly, she is quick to ask, "Are you OK?" Sometimes she says sorry for things that I didn't even have a problem with - very polite woman. I am extremely picky but, I realize that I didn't need to be picky with her because she listens and delivers. As short as my hair is, the slightest discomfort I felt was when she was doing the top of my hair which is <.5". She had to pull it a little to get it in the braid. I didn't feel a thing with the rest of my hair.

She charged $160 for the micro-braid and I felt bad for her so I gave her $180. I mean, she spent 7+ hrs on my head getting .5" of hair braided in very very tiny pieces :eek: do you know how much work that is?????? If my hair were longer, I would not have felt anything at all - she is so gentle. Give her a try...., I know you will go back.

Guyaneek said:
Ok! I can travel to philly for braids!!!! Only 30mins away. Is she reasonable? Price wise? Does she pull your hair so tight that she braids up the flesh of your scalp at the same time? :look: Does she have a problem with PICKY people?:look: Not me or anyone I know, just wondering :lol:

StartinOvah

cool. i hate that flaming scalp feeling. i do wish she could braid in a shorter amount of time but you gotta take the good with the bad, i guess. i don't live too far from upper darby, seems worth the time. thanks for the shout out!

Mystic

I really think she braids fast. When your hair has a good length (e.g. 2" and above), it's easier to wrap the extension around the hair to braid quickly. On the other hand, try wrapping the extension around hair that is .5" or shorter and you will see how challenging that is. The back of my hair is a slight bit longer than the other parts, and she went over the back so fast I was surprised she had finished that part so quickly. I have been to other hairdressers with my 8" hair and my butt hurt because they took FOREVER to finish my hair; and guess what, they were box braids - not even micro-braids:eek:

StartinOvah said:
cool. i hate that flaming scalp feeling. i do wish she could braid in a shorter amount of time but you gotta take the good with the bad, i guess. i don't live too far from upper darby, seems worth the time. thanks for the shout out!

Malice

I'm nowhere near philly but I gotta give kudos to the African Braid shops. There's one in my town, 4 sisters, that I went to. They saved my day too because the original shop I made an appt. for couldn't do it, some embecile of a woman "scheduled" my appt. and there were three people already there and she was the only one working. So I just walked into the sisters shop, and they took me same day for micros, I had to wait a few hours and saw some FIERCE, I mean FIERCE weave styles walking out of there. Full head Sewn in weaves that you could not detect, curly and bone straight hair, just beautiful. My hair is past my shoulders I don't know how long in inches, but long enough that they had to send me back to the store to get 18". They were done with my micro braids, braided down to my length maybe a little past in 4hrs! There was only one on it for the first 2 and a half or 3 hours then one that became free helped her finish and they look soo good and neat tight enough to stay in but little to no pull at all. I'm gonna try to keep them in for 3 or 4 months. I'm planning to be APL by the time I take them out, but I know where to go if I ever want a sew-in weave.