Gained 3.5 Inches Since Transitioning...

Chichi

It's been four whole months since I have started my transition and I just found out that I have 3.5 inches of new growth

As a long-time sufferer of hand-in-fro disease, I found this clump of strands that was so obviously new growth, so I did something that I have never done before; I whipped out the tape measure and measured my new growth. I stretched it first though, not by much because I don't get that much shrinkage.

I usually get 1 inch a month so the only thing that I could attribute my shortfall to is somewhat slacking on my vitamins (I usually split my Ultra Nourishair and Freeda Biotin into two doses; on some days, I forget to take the second dose...) I will step up this part of my routine because I am on the 12 inches/12 months challenge.

I know that I have gained some length because when I did a rollerset just once, I saw how much longer and thicker my hair had become (as if thicker were possible
). I think that one of these days I am going to treat myself to a Dominican blowout so that I could really see the length. (I wasn't able to get it really straight when I did the rollerset.)

My question: if you were getting one inch per month, when would you cut off your relaxed ends?

I would love to get them cut off when my hair grows longer because I like the look of long hair and I am also doing the trimming challenge.

Chichi

inthepink

If I were to get an inch a month of hair growth, I would probably feel comfortable cutting off the relaxed ends after two years of transitioning b/c that would be 24 inches of natural hair. But that's just ME! You have to do what would make you comfortable!

lsubabiedee

wow....what do i need to do to get growth like that...im sure i could do it in the summer, but not right now
If i got an inch in a month, i'd probably chop .5in a month

Chichi

@hairlove, yes, I guess that it may depend on the length that you start out with. I started out with shoulder length hair so I may feel comfortable at neck length... This is still up in the air. I just hate the look of the relaxed ends on the end of my hair...

@lsubabiedee I attribute most of the growth to the Bargello vitamin regimen, which I take faithfully every day (with noted exceptions above
). I believe that I used to get .5 inches a month before the vitamins.

I thought of chopping a little at a time as Pam Ferrell suggessted in her book but I like the look of long hair and I am not having that much trouble managing the two textures.

Chichi

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
@hairlove, yes, I guess that it may depend on the length that you start out with. I started out with shoulder length hair so I may feel comfortable at neck length... This is still up in the air. I just hate the look of the relaxed ends on the end of my hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi - that is absolutely right! Since I started out with below bra strap length hair, going to neck length is just too huge of a difference for me. I am hoping for below shoulder length hair when curly as a goal before cutting off my relaxed ends. I actually think you're lucky to consider neck length so you don't have to deal with the relaxed ends anymore!

MeccaMedinah

I am not sure if I am getting an inch of new growth per month but I just decided to do a little chop yesterday and I am comfortable so far.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Good for you ChiChi! After hearing all of this good news, when are we gonna see some pictures? Don't leave us hanging!

Chichi

Thanks Bublnbrnsuga! Not to leave you guys hanging but I am one of the shy ones on this board
. I've never posted pics on the Internet. But I have the same texture as my sis in my avatar. I think that I would like to cut my ends of when it gets to be the length of your hair...so I have maybe another year to go.

Chichi

l0vethyself

First 0ff c0ngrats 0n y0ur transisiti0ning decisi0n! I am als0 4 m0nths int0 it! Sec0ndly, if my hair grew 1 inch a m0nth I w0uld m0st likely BC at a year.