*gasp* My first bald spot!!!!

Crystalicequeen123

OMG....

I was washing my hair last night, then I blow-dried it, and after I ran a flat-iron a little on some of the roots, I looked at the front of my head where my widow's peak is trying to grow and I saw a DIME-sized bald spot!! :shocked:

I freaked out! Why am I going bald in the front of my hair? :cry4: I usually tell my stylist to relax my edges last, and I've switched to a mild relaxer since the beginning of this year, so I don't know why my hair is thinning/balding in the front and at the edges? My edges have always been quite thin/fine anyway, but the front of my hair (where my bangs are) are now receeding. I had noticed the thinness a little while ago. But now I notice that it's a bald spot!

Help! What's going on with my hair? :(

MoniintheMiddle

So sorry this is happening to you. When was your last relaxer? If you could I would not relax until I saw some progress with this spot. You could try ORS scalp balm and make sure you baby your hair...protective styles and no (or minimal tension). I know I hate when stylists ask me this question but I am going to pose it to you....have you been under a lot of stress later to the point where this spot could be a stress breakage spot>? My guess is no since you said the front of your hair is receding. Please elminate manipulation as much as possible and keep us posted. Sorry

tiffupretty

how have u been wearing your hair...perhaps its the style or when you tie your hair up is your scarf or cap touching your edges or do you tie it futher down on your forhead? whatever the case may be im sorry this has happend...but make sure u minimize manipulation in that area

Sparker65

I had a pea sized bald spot on my widows peak for years and could never get it to fill in. Finally, a month ago, I started using Mega Tek on my edges and the bald spot is gone. I have thin fine hair around my hairline and I think a relaxer caused my spot. Try the Mega Tek and see what happens.:yep:

Crystalicequeen123

So sorry this is happening to you. When was your last relaxer? If you could I would not relax until I saw some progress with this spot. You could try ORS scalp balm and make sure you baby your hair...protective styles and no (or minimal tension). I know I hate when stylists ask me this question but I am going to pose it to you....have you been under a lot of stress later to the point where this spot could be a stress breakage spot? My guess is no since you said the front of your hair is receding. Please elminate manipulation as much as possible and keep us posted. Sorry

Thanks for the advice. :yep: In answer to your questions:

-My last relaxer touch-up was September 23rd w/Silk Elements Mild relaxer w/shea butter. It was the first time my stylist put that relaxer in my hair, but it didn't seem harsh at all. In fact, my hair seems to be reverting already (hence the reason why I was flat-ironing my roots!), and my roots are really nice and thick now. :)

-I guess I have been under a bit of stress. Not as much as I HAVE been in the past, but I guess you could say that I still have some things on my mind. I really need to STOP being so anxious and worrying all the time. I look at pictures just 3 years ago, and I notice that my hair seemed thicker (especially around the edges). So, I don't know what's going on. I didn't know stress could make you bald though! :eek: :shocked:

how have u been wearing your hair...perhaps its the style or when you tie your hair up is your scarf or cap touching your edges or do you tie it futher down on your forhead? whatever the case may be im sorry this has happend...but make sure u minimize manipulation in that area

Hi Tiff, I usually wear my hair pinned up with a hair clip, or in a bun, and at times I wear it down like I am today. I've heard of people getting traction alopecia along thier edges from wearing their hair too tightly in pony tails. But the bang area?? I mean, come on! :nono: I usually tie my scarf towards the back. The only thing I can think of that could be ruining the front of my hair is wrapping. Sometimes I wrap my hair before putting the scarf on my head at night. :ohwell:

I had a pea sized bald spot on my widows peak for years and could never get it to fill in. Finally, a month ago, I started using Mega Tek on my edges and the bald spot is gone. I have thin fine hair around my hairline and I think a relaxer caused my spot. Try the Mega Tek and see what happens.:yep:

Thanks for this Sparker. I may have to eventually break down and finally buy this MegaTek everyone has been raving about. :grin: I certainly dont' want any bald spots in the front of my hair. :nono: This is the area people see first! If I had a bald spot in the middle or the back, I could probably hide this with hair. But it's very hard to hide a bald spot at the front widows' peak part of your hair. :(

I'm trying not to worry about it too much because I know excessive worrying will just make it worse. But I want to also prevent it from getting worse.... :look:

SherryLove

Crystal, I hope you can get the hair to grow back in that spot as soon as possible....I think only God knows how much a bald spot is one of the things I dread in this lifetime.....oh no.....

luckiestdestiny

Okay, we have ladies here who will help you, but please don't say your first bald spot. I know I'm throwing the secret out there, but that implies there's many more to go. This is your ONLY bald spot and it's quickly leaving because women here are going to help you. I know that I tried megatek on my dog's bald spot and it grew back. Now I know it's a dog, but megatek works on humans too. My dog was born without hair at her temples, and I was told by vets it would never grow back. I know that's not the human story you want to hear but it is a story. If not that, I'm sure there are other things people can tell you. Also, check your health too to make sure you're good. Go get a physical. You never know, you may be anemic, have thyroid problems, etc and some simple medication could resolve your problem. Hope this helps!

chrstndiva

OMG....

I was washing my hair last night, then I blow-dried it, and after I ran a flat-iron a little on some of the roots, I looked at the front of my head where my widow's peak is trying to grow and I saw a DIME-sized bald spot!! :shocked:

I freaked out! Why am I going bald in the front of my hair? :cry4: I usually tell my stylist to relax my edges last, and I've switched to a mild relaxer since the beginning of this year, so I don't know why my hair is thinning/balding in the front and at the edges? My edges have always been quite thin/fine anyway, but the front of my hair (where my bangs are) are now receeding. I had noticed the thinness a little while ago. But now I notice that it's a bald spot!

Help! What's going on with my hair? :(

You may want to pay a visit to a dermatologist if you are able. It's always better to be on the safe side.

camilla

HAVE YOU BEEN TAKING ANY MEDICATION? I HAD A QUARTER SIZE ONE LAST YEAR MY HAIR IS SOO THICK THAT IDK HOW LONG IT WAS THERE ANY WHO

IT WAS THE DEPO SHOT :swearing: SOMETIMES IT CAN BE MEDICATION OR IN MY CASE BIRTH CONTROL:nono:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Whatever it is, I hope that it will all be fine and that your hair will grow back in nicely.

Crystalicequeen123

*UPDATE*

Thanks for the advice ladies. :)

Just to give everyone an update...

I broke down and went to the dermatologist a couple of weeks ago because a friend of mine's daughter had ring-worm, and I wanted to make SURE I didn't happen to contract it from her (hence causing the thinning/balding along my edges).

Well, I went to the derm, and they said that it didn't look like ring-worm, but that they would take a sample of hair from my root (ouch!) and let it sit so that they can discover if there is any type of fungus or something growing. So, I have to wait a couple more weeks to come back in to see if anything grew, or if there's something wrong with my scalp. :(

In the meantime, they gave me this medicated shampoo and oil for serrobeirc (s?) dermatitis since that's what she thinks it is. I have to admit, I WAS seeing a lot of dandruff and white flakes lately in my scalp.

I've washed with the medicated shampoo twice already, and although it can be a bit drying, I notice that my scalp no longer has the white residue on it. It's not itching as MUCH, and my scalp looks a lot better. No more white flakes! :yep:

So...I'm HOPING (*crossing fingers*) that my thinning spot is only due to the dermatitis or stress and not due to something else health-wise. Hopefully I'll know for sure once I get my test results back.

Thanks for the tips ladies. Thinning hair is NOTHING to play with, especially when you know that there have not been any external factors (ie. bad relaxer habits, heated styling tools misuse, tugging and pulling of hair, trauma, etc.) to contribute to the thinning.

Any other advice or tips would be greatly helpful!

I'm scared to try the Mega-tek right now since I don't want ANYTHING to aggravate my scalp at this moment. :( But you best better believe that I will be using my bottle of Mega-Tek when I get the okay that it's nothing fungal in my hair!

I'm going to take a break from a relaxer and try to wait at least 14 weeks (if I can)...even though I'm only 8 weeks post and already I'm dying for another relaxer! :nono:

mistee11

Crystalicequeen - So sorry this is happening to you. I can definitely sympathize w/you because I'm experiencing it too. I know that you said that you are afraid to try MegaTek but you should give it a shot. I have the same size spot of baldness in the back of my head but it's starting to fill in. I'm also using other growth aids to help combat this problem and assisting in healing that area. I was scared to try the MegaTek but I figured why not? As to what may be the cause... it could be stress -- we know how much that can wreak havoc on the body! Or it could be medications or chemical relaxer reaction. I know that since I've gotten older I've been experiencing this problem more and more. It seems that no matter what the strength of the relaxer is every once in a while I have issues like this.

Boundless Tresses is another one of my growth aids that I use. HTH. Don't give up and will grow back. :yep: