Gave up on a Dominican Salon today!

ttlayli

I'm currently in ATL right now and i have gone to Lilly's, a dominican salon about 3 times. First time i went, my hair was straight (didn't have time to prepoo)...and after my hair was washed, the women that was servicing me was talking about me like a DOG, I man, dang!!!! BTW, I am natural, 3b, thick. So her and her coworker that's at the station right next to hers, were just talking about me and im not fluent, but I def know some spanish. She was also being nasty towards me, saying curt responses, etc. So like a fool, after she was done, I tipped her.
The second time i went, someone else did my hair...and I actually said either of two people could do my hair, so when ONE of the stylists had to do my hair, she was pissed and the coworker laughed, like she was teasing her almost. Mind you, it took prob freaking five minutes to comb out my hair AND rollerset it, but she was still acting like my hair was the ned of the world. This time I didnt tip.
Earlier today I went and once again I requested two different people. When the same lady that did my hair last time was called, the look on her face was priceless, and a couple of ladies were like bursting out laughing, obviously teasing her, for having to do my nappy hair. :look:
So all of a sudden, the owner tells someone else to wash and rollerset me, since the stylist was acting like she was busy. The women washed, DC'ed, and rollerset me in about 45minutes. After I was dried the other women I requested finished me off, and yes, she was being rude as well...which is funny because she got through that blowout quickly!
After I paid, I spoke to the owner and told her how disappointed I was, and that I WOULD NOT be returning. She was concerned and told me to talk to her. I did and when I told her about the rude remarks, she looked surprised and said "Your hair is not bad." I told her that "I know." and she explained how naturals are at the salon everyday... I responded with "well I seem to be getting the stylists, who only like those with relaxed heads then"
She apologized once more, and pleaded with me to come back to the salon.
I'm not. I mean, that salon is a trip...one the ladies was looking at me crazy one time, and her hair was a HAM!!! So....now I just need to find another salon, I guess!

ChocalateDiva

I am sorry that this happen to you. Good for you that you spoke to the manager.

I cannot believe how ppl in a service industry know NOTHING about customer service. :nono:

gabulldawg

I'm currently in ATL right now and i have gone to Lilly's, a dominican salon about 3 times. First time i went, my hair was straight (didn't have time to prepoo)...and after my hair was washed, the women that was servicing me was talking about me like a DOG, I man, dang!!!! BTW, I am natural, 3b, thick. So her and her coworker that's at the station right next to hers, were just talking about me and im not fluent, but I def know some spanish. She was also being nasty towards me, saying curt responses, etc. So like a fool, after she was done, I tipped her.
The second time i went, someone else did my hair...and I actually said either of two people could do my hair, so when ONE of the stylists had to do my hair, she was pissed and the coworker laughed, like she was teasing her almost. Mind you, it took prob freaking five minutes to comb out my hair AND rollerset it, but she was still acting like my hair was the ned of the world. This time I didnt tip.
Earlier today I went and once again I requested two different people. When the same lady that did my hair last time was called, the look on her face was priceless, and a couple of ladies were like bursting out laughing, obviously teasing her, for having to do my nappy hair. :look:
So all of a sudden, the owner tells someone else to wash and rollerset me, since the stylist was acting like she was busy. The women washed, DC'ed, and rollerset me in about 45minutes. After I was dried the other women I requested finished me off, and yes, she was being rude as well...which is funny because she got through that blowout quickly!
After I paid, I spoke to the owner and told her how disappointed I was, and that I WOULD NOT be returning. She was concerned and told me to talk to her. I did and when I told her about the rude remarks, she looked surprised and said "Your hair is not bad." I told her that "I know." and she explained how naturals are at the salon everyday... I responded with "well I seem to be getting the stylists, who only like those with relaxed heads then"
I'm not. I mean, that salon is a trip...one the ladies was looking at me crazy one time, and her hair was a HAM!!! So....now I just need to find another salon, I guess!

WOW thanks for the heads up! I'm in ATL now and won't plan on frequenting that salon. I'm not natural, but any salon that treats anyone like that and thinks it's okay is :nono:

jndurieux

I would definitely find another salon. You should not have to go through all those problems every time you are trying to relax and have your hair done. I am surprise that the dominican salon would be that obnoxious about doing your hair. Most dominicans I know have thick, "nappy"..(lol) hair. Please girl those dominican salons are a dime a dozen, it is not like they are reinventing the wheel..it's just a rollerset. Your hair looks beautiful from your picture. Keep your head up and you made the right decision....screw them.

crlsweetie912

I don't see why you would go back three times when the service was so poor. If you don't want to do my hair, then I sure aint going back 3 times to keep giving you my hard earned money. :nono:

mariofmagdal

You were much nicer than me! I cancelled them (a dominican salon) before they got started just for telling me it would be an extra $25 because I am natural!!!!!!

BostonMaria

I don't see why you would go back three times when the service was so poor. If you don't want to do my hair, then I sure aint going back 3 times to keep giving you my hard earned money. :nono:

Oh hell no! I'm Dominican and I can tell you right now I have no tolerance for that nonsense. I know that the attitude you got is not typical. I get that "oh no" look when I go to a certain salon, but if a stylist was ever that stank ain't no way in hell they're touching my hair. Don't go back to a place that disrespects you the first time. I dropped the last place I used to frequent because of their lousy service.

drjo91

I am also dominican like maria!! So i know exactly what you mean. Sometimes i used to go to the salons and they used to treat me weird at first cuz they thought i was AA. As soon as they knew i was dominican and could understand any shyt they would say behind my back, their attitude changed. I know how dominicans can be, but hell most dominicans got nappy hair!! SO idk what was the attitude about!!! I stopped going to the salon b.c they were rude and a little prejudice!!. I would go and have like less than an inch of new growth and they'll started talking shyt how my hair was bad and that i needed to relax...i am like GREAT isn't it obvious that i have some NEW GROWTH. I haven't been to a dominican salon for a while. Then i had this AA stylist, and i went to get a weave and so i only relaxed the edges and the front part and she was like GIRL YOU NEED A PERM i am like godd f.u.c.k i know that....I am not going back to her either. Yes she was nice but i hate when stylist say those little comments. I am transitioning now, so i won't need a stylist anymore.

sexyeyes3616

One thing I noticed about some Dominican stylists when you have 1" of new growth or more they always say, "You going natural, mami".

Last edited:

Brooklyn72

I used to go to Lilly's as well, but now I go to another shop on Indian trail called Celia's 770-931-2220. She is much nicer and I have seen a lot of natural's there. The girl's at Lilly's are a trip. I don't like that shop at all.

MissJ

I stopped going to Lilly's, because they kept telling me to "get a relaxer, Mami." Too Groovy is where it's at!

Filmatic

You must be one of those nice, sweet people. I'll cut a store, person, etc off in a min. The moment they looked at me crazy I would have left. Don't let people with negative energy touch your hair.

WhipEffectz1

This is why I stopped going to Lily's because I understand Spanish pretty good. Plus, these idiots acts like they have a problem doing natural hair. As a result, I started going to Too Groovy. Dominican blowout my feet.

Menina Preta

One thing I noticed about some Dominican stylists when you have 1" of new growth or more they always say, "You going natural, mami".

LOL...Over here, they say "Mami, you need a perm." Anyways, I hate the aversion that some Dominican salons have towards naturals. Though I'm not a natural, I know that if I did try to transition my current Dominican stylist would be the first one trying to dissuade me and slap some super lye into my head.

likewtr4chklit

This is discouraging, especially since I know very little Spanish....I think I'll stick with the stylist I've had since I was 5, I can clearly communicate with her and she doesn't try to put lye in my hair.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
See, after they talked about me "like a dog" the 1st visit, they wouldn't have gotten my money the 2nd or 3rd time. :nono:

sexyeyes3616

See, after they talked about me "like a dog" the 1st visit, they wouldn't have gotten my money the 2nd or 3rd time. :nono:

This reminds me of when i went to get my hair done last week. My hairstylist talked to me so nasty and I was so embarrased. I walked out. And my hair is three months post and is a MESS. But I'm like I am not going to pay you my money and you dont know how to be polite to me and talk to me pleasant. I have since found another stylist.

so so chic

Wow! I went to Lily's for years. I started out going to Rosa, and then Vanessa. I never had a problem with either of them, and my natural hair. I did stop going to Lily's though, when they both left and started working at another Dominican salon. Vanessa is the only person I request. I don't know the name of the salon, but it's on Pleasant Dale off of 85.

BostonMaria

Wow sounds like that place is losing lots of customers!

The reason stylists get mad, especially if you are a long time customer, is because natural long hair takes up more of their conditioner, takes longer to blow dry, you don't go back for touch-ups, and they know we do our own hair. That means we're not a slave to them and persona non grata.

As one person posted, don't let a negative person touch your hair. I really believe that vibe rubs off on your hair LOL I'm superstitious.

Rapunzel*

Wow sounds like that place is losing lots of customers!

The reason stylists get mad, especially if you are a long time customer, is because natural long hair takes up more of their conditioner, takes longer to blow dry, you don't go back for touch-ups, and they know we do our own hair. That means we're not a slave to them and persona non grata.

As one person posted, don't let a negative person touch your hair. I really believe that vibe rubs off on your hair LOL I'm superstitious.
h.effas:lachen:

but thats why i do my own hair the lady that did my flat iron and attempted halle berry cut[she tried to] didnt comb my hair from tip to root, more like root to tip:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ttlayli

Hey ladies! Thanks for all your responses...your right, that was foolish of me to go back when they had poor customer service, but the salon is big, so I figured at the time, I would just see a different stylist, but obviously that wasn't the right thing to do. Where is Too Groovy?? Is there a dominican salon more towards Atlanta or are all the salons on the "outskirts"?

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Repeatedly going to a business that doesn't respect you is rewarding their bad behavior. They're probably thinking "I've treated this fool poorly, yet she still supports my business!"

:nono:

This reminds me of when i went to get my hair done last week. My hairstylist talked to me so nasty and I was so embarrased. I walked out. And my hair is three months post and is a MESS. But I'm like I am not going to pay you my money and you dont know how to be polite to me and talk to me pleasant. I have since found another stylist.

PuffyBrown

Oh wow. That made me tear up just hearing about it. Some people can be so rude.Well they lost your business and I can that I would have done the same thing.