Gentrification: 2520 Claims To Have Created Bonnets

AnjelLuvs

White woman who claims she invented sleep bonnets is selling them for $100

People aren’t happy with a white woman who founded a company that sells $100 silk sleep bonnets and seems to claim that she invented the garment.

Many are saying that she is ignoring the fact that Black women have been wearing the garment for decades.

In an interview with Fashion Magazine, NiteCap founder Sarah Marantz Lindenberg said she “came up with the idea” before her wedding. In preparation for the day, Lindenberg said she wanted something that would help keep her face clear of blemishes and protect her hair.

“There were products on the market but none of them had a functional and fashionable solution for me–synthetic fabrics that I felt did more damage or horrible colors that I felt silly going to sleep in,” she told Fashion Magazine.

Black women have worn sleep bonnets and head wraps for years. Silk sleep bonnets can help protect their hair and make hairstyles last longer. It’s usually a part of their nightly routine.

“For many Black girls, tying your hair up at night with some sort of head covering is akin to brushing your teeth,” journalist Aria Hughes wrote in the Undefeated.

The Fashion Magazine article does not mention that Black women regularly use hair bonnets and have been doing so for generations. Twitter users are now sharing the article as yet another example of people appropriating Black culture for profit.

The NiteCap silk bonnets come in five different colors for just under $100. The company also sells silk scrunchies for $32. Prices for the hair bonnets depend on the material and style, but shoppers can find options for as little as $2 on Amazon.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/white-woman-gentrified-bonnets/