George Floyd Dies After Saying He Can't Breathe After Arrest...video Shows Cop With Knee On His Neck

Jmartjrmd

Video shows Minneapolis cop with knee on neck of motionless, moaning man who later died

A video taken by an onlooker Monday evening shows a Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car. The man later died.

A police statement said officers were responding to a "forgery in progress."

"Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence," the statement said. "Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car.

"After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance," according to the statement.

Watch live: New York Governor Cuomo gives coronavirus update
The man died soon after, the statement said, adding: "At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident. … Body worn cameras were on and activated during this incident."

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said at a press conference Tuesday that the FBI will lead the investigation into the incident due to the possible civil rights violation.

Two of the officers involved have been "relieved of duty status," Arradondo said. The officers are still receiving pay, but have no law enforcement duties.

The video, captured by Darnella Frazier, begins with the man, who is black, groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the officer who has his knee on the man's neck. The officer is white.

They killed him right in front of cup foods over south on 38th and Chicago!! No type of sympathy #POLICEBRUTALITY

Posted by Darnella Frazier on Monday, May 25, 2020

Copyright © 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.

naturalgyrl5199

This, my dear sisters, is why I refuse to stay or raise my family here in AmeriKKKA.

How many more murders will it take for this to end? Our lives mean nothing...NOTHING, in this country. I can't even bring myself to watch the video.
I refuse to watch anymore tragic videos or movies involving things that depict blacks being victimized. Its too traumatic and adds to the stress. I pray justice is served and the officers are fired and charged with a crime, and do real time.

mensa

Ah, I can hear them asking, "What about Black on Black crime?" Yes, this issue must be addressed. However, THAT DOES NOT GIVE THE POLICE, AND OTHER FOLK PERMISSION TO GO HUNTING FOR THE LIVES OF AFRICAN AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so doggone SICK of this mess! Why would the other cops stand by and not stop him? Why did they allow this officer who took an oath to protect society, to snuff the life out of that poor man? What would have happened if this incident were reversed? Would the cops just stand by while an African American man had his knee on a cops neck...and choked him to death?

If he did this to a dog, White folks would be raging with anger!

How tragic, barbaric, and evil!

Last edited:

Jmartjrmd

Democracy Dies in Darkness

Morning Mix
Four Minneapolis officers are fired after video shows one kneeling on neck of black man who later died, mayor says

(Darnella Frazier via Storyful)
By Timothy Bella and Brittany Shammas
May 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM EDT
Four Minneapolis police officers were fired Tuesday, authorities said, as state and federal authorities investigated the arrest of a black man who died after being pinned to the ground.

Video of the incident shared on social media captured the man, identified as George Floyd by Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey (D), repeatedly telling the officers, “I cannot breathe!” An increasingly distraught crowd of onlookers pleaded with the officer to move his knee.

By Tuesday afternoon, as outrage continued to build, Frey announced the termination of the officers.

“This is the right call,” he wrote in posts on his Twitter and Facebook pages.

The incident began when two officers arrived at the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South around 8 p.m. Monday, police said. Officers located the man, whom they believed to be under the influence of an intoxicant, inside his car. After he got out, police said, the man “physically resisted officers.”

“Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and realized that the suspect was suffering a medical distress,” a Minneapolis police spokesman said in a news briefing early Tuesday. “Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he died a short time later.”

Police said that no weapons were used at any time by the man or the officers during the encounter.

Darnella Frazier was on her way to see friends when she saw the incident unfolding outside of a Cup Foods grocery store on the south side of Minneapolis. She quickly began recording the encounter in a 10-minute video later shared to Facebook.

“When I walked up, he was already on the ground,” Frazier said in a Facebook video. “The cops, they was pinning him down by his neck and he was crying. They wasn’t trying to take him serious.”

As more people gathered around the encounter outside the grocery store, the man pleaded that his whole body was in pain. Frazier recalled that the man’s face was being pressed so hard against the ground that his nose was bleeding.

Witnesses begged the white officer to take his knee off the man’s neck.

“You’re going to just sit there with your knee on his neck?” one bystander said on the video.

Minutes later, the man appeared to be motionless on the ground, his eyes closed and head lying against the road.

“Bro, he’s not even f------ moving!” one bystander pleaded to police. “Get off of his neck!”

Another asked, “Did you kill him?”

Later, the unconscious man was loaded onto a stretcher and into an ambulance. Bystanders who remained in front of Cup Foods pointed at the two officers and said the incident would haunt them “for the rest of your life.”

“The police killed him, bro, right in front of everybody,” Frazier said on Facebook. “He was crying, telling them like, ‘I can’t breathe,’ and everything. They killed this man.”

During Tuesday’s news conference with the mayor, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had decided to ask the FBI to investigate after receiving “additional information” on the incident from a community source that “just provided more context than the information I had preliminarily.” He declined to elaborate further.

The case will be separately investigated by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune investigates most in-custody deaths.

The agency said in a statement Tuesday that it would present its findings to the county prosecutor’s office for review.

As it continued circulating, the video drew swift outrage and condemnation. In neighboring St. Paul, Mayor Melvin Carter (D) said it was “one of the most vile and heartbreaking images I’ve ever seen,” adding, “This must stop now.”

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D) described the incident as “yet another horrifying and gutwrenching instance of an African American man dying.” She called for “immediate action,” including a thorough outside investigation and accountability for those involved.

“Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, and justice must be served for our country,” she said in a statement shared on Twitter.

A protest was being planned for Tuesday afternoon at the intersection where the encounter unfolded, the Star Tribune reported. The mayor urged demonstrators to practice social distancing because of the coronavirus pandemic, but said he understood the desire to protest.

“If you’re sad, I get it,” Frey said. “If you’re angry, that makes complete sense. If you feel the need to protest, of course we want to make sure that people are able to express themselves.”

naturalgyrl5199

Democracy Dies in Darkness

Morning Mix
Four Minneapolis officers are fired after video shows one kneeling on neck of black man who later died, mayor says

(Darnella Frazier via Storyful)
By Timothy Bella and Brittany Shammas
May 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM EDT
Four Minneapolis police officers were fired Tuesday, authorities said, as state and federal authorities investigated the arrest of a black man who died after being pinned to the ground.

Video of the incident shared on social media captured the man, identified as George Floyd by Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey (D), repeatedly telling the officers, “I cannot breathe!” An increasingly distraught crowd of onlookers pleaded with the officer to move his knee.

By Tuesday afternoon, as outrage continued to build, Frey announced the termination of the officers.

“This is the right call,” he wrote in posts on his Twitter and Facebook pages.

The incident began when two officers arrived at the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South around 8 p.m. Monday, police said. Officers located the man, whom they believed to be under the influence of an intoxicant, inside his car. After he got out, police said, the man “physically resisted officers.”

“Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and realized that the suspect was suffering a medical distress,” a Minneapolis police spokesman said in a news briefing early Tuesday. “Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he died a short time later.”

Police said that no weapons were used at any time by the man or the officers during the encounter.

Darnella Frazier was on her way to see friends when she saw the incident unfolding outside of a Cup Foods grocery store on the south side of Minneapolis. She quickly began recording the encounter in a 10-minute video later shared to Facebook.

“When I walked up, he was already on the ground,” Frazier said in a Facebook video. “The cops, they was pinning him down by his neck and he was crying. They wasn’t trying to take him serious.”

As more people gathered around the encounter outside the grocery store, the man pleaded that his whole body was in pain. Frazier recalled that the man’s face was being pressed so hard against the ground that his nose was bleeding.

Witnesses begged the white officer to take his knee off the man’s neck.

“You’re going to just sit there with your knee on his neck?” one bystander said on the video.

Minutes later, the man appeared to be motionless on the ground, his eyes closed and head lying against the road.

“Bro, he’s not even f------ moving!” one bystander pleaded to police. “Get off of his neck!”

Another asked, “Did you kill him?”

Later, the unconscious man was loaded onto a stretcher and into an ambulance. Bystanders who remained in front of Cup Foods pointed at the two officers and said the incident would haunt them “for the rest of your life.”

“The police killed him, bro, right in front of everybody,” Frazier said on Facebook. “He was crying, telling them like, ‘I can’t breathe,’ and everything. They killed this man.”

During Tuesday’s news conference with the mayor, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had decided to ask the FBI to investigate after receiving “additional information” on the incident from a community source that “just provided more context than the information I had preliminarily.” He declined to elaborate further.

The case will be separately investigated by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune investigates most in-custody deaths.

The agency said in a statement Tuesday that it would present its findings to the county prosecutor’s office for review.

As it continued circulating, the video drew swift outrage and condemnation. In neighboring St. Paul, Mayor Melvin Carter (D) said it was “one of the most vile and heartbreaking images I’ve ever seen,” adding, “This must stop now.”

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D) described the incident as “yet another horrifying and gutwrenching instance of an African American man dying.” She called for “immediate action,” including a thorough outside investigation and accountability for those involved.

“Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, and justice must be served for our country,” she said in a statement shared on Twitter.

A protest was being planned for Tuesday afternoon at the intersection where the encounter unfolded, the Star Tribune reported. The mayor urged demonstrators to practice social distancing because of the coronavirus pandemic, but said he understood the desire to protest.

“If you’re sad, I get it,” Frey said. “If you’re angry, that makes complete sense. If you feel the need to protest, of course we want to make sure that people are able to express themselves.”
YES LORD! This is clearly a case of excessive force.
They went from "Forgery in process"
To this guy is drunk---BUT in medical distress. They cant get their lies together. If he is in medical distress...putting him on the ground with your knee on his back is inhumane. I swear they go into a zone where they cant hear or see nothing. Just thinking that they done "bagged another n ---!" Like black men are animals. Heck, animals going to the pound are treated with more regard. I swear, SM gets on my nerves but when it works....it works. I thank God for people who can stomach it as well. Had I been the officer's boss, I would have watched it. I cheered when I read him say "this was the right call."

Jmartjrmd

They need to be charged . They had people standing there telling them he was in distress as well as George himself. They probably need to get COD first but it's clear they could see he was in distress. That one woman even said check his pulse.

But they will dig up his prior bad acts if they can find any, then show him "resisting" as they had on body cameras and use that as justifiable force, white folks will tell us if we just comply the cops won't kill us blah blah blah.
Same script different cast.
Just hope this time is different but I won't hold my breath.

chocolat79

6F people are so emboldened these days. This is Eric Garner all over again. Like I mentioned in the Breonna Taylor thread, these "crimes" are non- violent. Drugs, forgery, whatever does not in any way, shape, or form warrant killing a person. Black people are expendable in this country and 6F people know it. Just look at that thread of the 6F lady calling the cops on the BM in Central Park.

Nothing will be done until we starting using our economic power. This country's foundation is absolutely based on racism and until that has been eliminated, nothing will change.

These officers have been fired but will they be charged and convicted of murder?

And we all know they'll be in another precinct working by June 1.

naturalgyrl5199

I can tell by the fact that they got fired so fast that there was something showing that he didnt resist AT ALL.

Now lets see if they get charged. They can keep any contributions to their pensions but not anything the County or City contributed. That should be revoked.
Other pictures show that behind the Police SUV, 3 cops were ALL holding him down while the Vietnamese cop yelled at the bystanders. I'm sure the body cams will show no resistance. He was too sick to refuse. And the Vietnamese cop was telling the crowd the guy was "probably ODing..." SMH.

They rioted and surrounded the precinct. I hope no one got hurt or killed. But thats who you riot...walk up to their doorstep and scare them. Outside this country people confront the police and government all the time. Not your own stores and community. Take it to THEM.

We need to demand local authorities and the DA on the Local Level to fight for laws that have specific language about rules of engagement. I'm 1000% convinced these guys were trained to: 1) use this type of excessive force 2) go into a mental mode that allows them not to see ANY citizen much less Black citizens as anything other than an animal so they can do their jobs with detachment and force, and coldness for fear of being weak.

I'm also sure that all of them are thinking of 1000 different ways they could have then prevented his death. But too late.

sharentu

there has got to be a way that we can take all the police departments of the us to court. like a roe vs wade case. no i don't trust our corrupt supreme court right now. but there has to be a way to get these police department to clean house. the screening practices across the board are not strong enough. the penalties for killing people, especially black people are not strong enough. i am so weary. the system is corrupt and evil from the root. the root needs to be destroyed.

NijaG

Ah, I can hear them asking, "What about Black on Black crime?" Yes, this issue must be addressed. However, THAT DOES NOT GIVE THE POLICE, AND OTHER FOLK PERMISSION TO GO HUNTING FOR THE LIVES OF AFRICAN AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!

If he did this to a dog, White folks would be raging with anger!

How tragic, barbaric, and evil!

1st bolded: This was my response to someone on FB (about the WW with dog called the cops on the bird watching BM)........

White people kill more white people than cops do.... what is your point.

Asian kill more Asians than.....

Hispanics kill more Hispanics than......

All groups of people kill themselves more than cops or their enemies killing them.

Again.... what is your point?”

2nd Bolded: In that same discussion thread, I noticed more outrage from many of the onyibo people of the woman’s handling of the dog than of the potential danger she could have placed that BM in with her lies.

Jmartjrmd

I mean he did have a black ex and 2 young black daughters. I saw it posted on facebook people saying they are taking back their support because of his white gf. Them same people cried buckets of tears for Kobe and his non black wife.
Regardless he didnt deserve to be suffocated to death.
20200527_205946.jpg

NijaG

Well, the campaign to put black girls on the front line is moving along swimmingly! Here's a 17 year old unsquintably black girl on the front lines for black men getting the tear gas milked out of her eyes by what MUST BE a very light skinned black man.

I definitely don’t endorse BG/BW on the front lines of these protest. Write letters, think pieces if you want, use your vote and dollars, but please stay away from all these potential hot beds of violence protests.

ETA: It is not a good look for BW and has had its own set of negative consequences and implications for the BW collective. Also, BW never get the same kind of energy in return from the BC and from BM in general.

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

I saw this on Twitter. Many in the comments are saying this is in poor taste. We can't be divided right now.

I liked Stephen Jackson when he played for the Warriors and had no idea he said that. My dad ran into him when he was still playing and he was with a black woman. Hmmm.

ETA: The woman who tweeted this, black women being black men's mule is basically what she tweets about. She posted the same about Stephon Clark and his Asian fiancee.

I agree divisions aren't good but look at the response with George Floyd & Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor. Now granted with Breonna Taylor there was no video and that was the catalyst but still. The disparity in reaction when this happens to black women vs black men is real and should be called out. Which it was, today on Twitter.

Last edited:

NijaG

I saw this on Twitter. Many in the comments are saying this is in poor taste. We can't be divided right now.

I’ve been watching some of the BW YT’ers and been in the comment section. I will say the chicken is coming home to roost (however that saying goes). The sentiments and attitudes from a good portion of the BW 25 and under set is not pretty. Which I can understand in a way. Things are definitely shifting. The next decade is going to be interesting regarding BM-BW dynamics.

ScorpioBeauty09

I’ve been watching some of the BW YT’ers and been in the comment section. I will say the chicken is coming home to roost (however that saying goes). The sentiments and attitudes from a good portion of the BW 25 and under set is not pretty. Which I can understand in a way. Things are definitely shifting. The next decade is going to be interesting regarding BM-BW dynamics.
My sister is 21. I agree. :look:

ScorpioBeauty09

I didn't know Stephen Jackson's comments were so recent.

Wait, so this is George Floyd's fiancee? (In the video)