George Floyd Dies After Saying He Can't Breathe After Arrest...video Shows Cop With Knee On His Neck

yamilee21

I feel a bit sorry for Terry Crews because I *think* I understand what he was *trying* to say but it came out so, so terribly wrong. I hope someone informs him that not everyone has the gift of meaningfully expressing themselves in 280 characters or less, and that it is just fine not to tweet when you lack that gift, especially about important and sensitive matters. :nono:

Alta Angel

My husband and I went to a peaceful protest today. We expected 100-200 folks and upwards of 4,000 people participated! Most of the protesters were 19-25 years old and were of all races. The police were present and they helped direct traffic and distribute water to participants. I have already contacted my county's police department to join the police-citizen review board. It is supposedly designed for accountability purposes. We need more of our faces in those meetings and on the board, so DH and I have signed up.

I want to keep the momentum going and see some tangible gains from it. One thing I will say about today's protest is I found that far too many young white people were speaking as if they were experts on police brutality. We need them as allies, but they cannot control the narrative or the direction of this movement.

metro_qt

So now the Canadian prime minister is taking a knee. Not sure what to think. I don’t know enough about him yet to comment. I think I know more about his father lol who was considered a great intellectual.

what say you @metro_qt
A lot of people are side-eyeing him and keeping quiet... he had a blackface scandal pop up last year that ppl still bring up....
So most of us are just watching and taking notes..... it's re-election time soon

discodumpling

We might need another thread for the results yall...
There is a rumor that 3-800 NYPD police officers are bout to resign along with the new commissioner ( he just got here) and some other top NYC cops.
Like Wow!! Thank you George Floyd. Your death will not be in vain. We will celebrate the MAJOR victories that are unfortunately a direct result of your death. Your life mattered. Thank you Sir!

I want more. #Breonna #Sandy # Atattiana and so many more women who's lives also mattered and were wrongly cut short by police. I just want them to truly rest in peace and to know their deaths sparked change to!

LushLox

They toppled a statue of a former slave trader in Bristol, UK

View attachment 460177https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/07/edward-colston-statue-pulled-bristol-black-lives-matter-protesters/amp/

You want to hear how ANGRY some white folks are about this. :lol: More angry that a statue of a racist slaver and murderer was toppled over, more so than the fact that the statue was there in the first place and for so many years.

I'm more angry at the fact that the UK has only recently (in 2015) finished compensating the the UK slave owner families in this country; and this is my tax money. What about rightful compensation to the descendants of slaves?

This country makes me sick. :nono:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
My husband and I went to a peaceful protest today. We expected 100-200 folks and upwards of 4,000 people participated! Most of the protesters were 19-25 years old and were of all races. The police were present and they helped direct traffic and distribute water to participants. I have already contacted my county's police department to join the police-citizen review board. It is supposedly designed for accountability purposes. We need more of our faces in those meetings and on the board, so DH and I have signed up.

I want to keep the momentum going and see some tangible gains from it. One thing I will say about today's protest is I found that far too many young white people were speaking as if they were experts on police brutality. We need them as allies, but they cannot control the narrative or the direction of this movement.

Yup, be careful. They did this too in India, during Gandhi's era. Hence the reason why he banned them. It's in their blood.

Ganjababy

You want to hear how ANGRY some white folks are about this. :lol: More angry that a statue of a racist slaver and murderer was toppled over, more so than the fact that the statue was there in the first place and for so many years.

I'm more angry at the fact that the UK has only recently (in 2015) finished compensating the the UK slave owner families in this country; and this is my tax money
. What about rightful compensation to the descendants of slaves?

This country makes me sick. :nono:
This makes me so angry

Ganjababy

I have been thinking about the cops. If I was a cop I would quit right about now lol. Before becoming a nurse I did toy with the idea of joining the police force. For the life of me I don’t remember why. But I do have cops in my family. Many joined thinking they could be agents of change.

I do believe that not all cops are bad and I’m not going to feel bad in admitting that truth. This is coming from someone who was harassed by cops at least twice. I shared the story of the traumatic NY incident on here already. So I am thinking about those cops who do not harass people and who do their jobs ethically. I wish those cops the best.

vevster

We might need another thread for the results yall...
There is a rumor that 3-800 NYPD police officers are bout to resign along with the new commissioner ( he just got here) and some other top NYC cops.
Like Wow!! Thank you George Floyd. Your death will not be in vain. We will celebrate the MAJOR victories that are unfortunately a direct result of your death. Your life mattered. Thank you Sir!

I want more. #Breonna #Sandy # Atattiana and so many more women who's lives also mattered and were wrongly cut short by police. I just want them to truly rest in peace and to know their deaths sparked change to!
Wow, 3800? Interesting. I’ll keep my ear to the ground.

Okay the rumor I’m hearing is that between 300 and 800 are retiring immediately along with the police chief and commissioner resigning. We’ll see.

Last edited:

TrulyBlessed

Swipe

vevster

Do any of you feel differently knowing that two of the MN cops were rookies? I think that was part of the reason Chavin was so cavalier and defiant while murdering Floyd. He wanted to show the rookies how things were done. How many more Chavin's are training newbie officers? Ugh.

https://fox6now.com/2020/06/05/2-officers-involved-in-george-floyd-death-were-rookies-attorney-says-1-was-on-his-4th-day/#:~:text=MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.,his fourth day on patrol.
I feel slightly bad for them.... not much.

discodumpling

I love the toppling of the statues. Rather than bury them I think they should be in a museum somewhere. They have their place in history.
Regarding compensating slaveholders until very recently...its deep yall. I have seen the documents. I have seen some communications where the slave holders and their progeny and the British govt go back n forth about how much this one is worth how much that one was worth. It's truly sickening. The slavers were given compensation and a leg up for the inconvenience of ending slavery. For the sale of my family The Bayer (formerly Baijer) Corp is what it is today.

discodumpling

Do any of you feel differently knowing that two of the MN cops were rookies? I think that was part of the reason Chavin was so cavalier and defiant while murdering Floyd. He wanted to show the rookies how things were done. How many more Chavin's are training newbie officers? Ugh.

https://fox6now.com/2020/06/05/2-officers-involved-in-george-floyd-death-were-rookies-attorney-says-1-was-on-his-4th-day/#:~:text=MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.,his fourth day on patrol.

I feel nothing for these people. I wanna know what they felt when Mr Floyd's body went limp underneath them.

TrulyBlessed

Unfortunately even if they had been on the force for years they probably would’ve been desensitized anyway and acted as the lookout man like Officer Thou or even become an Officer Chauvin themselves. So many “good cops” choose keeping their job over calling out wrong doing due to fear of retaliation. They may start their careers with good intentions but the force definitely teaches you “how things work around here”. It’s a systemic issue so if they have to be the sacrificial lambs for justice then oh well. At the end of the day they were still accomplices to a murder. If convicted maybe the judge will take their defense into consideration as far as sentencing. This needs to be a lesson for all newbies in training.

Last edited:

discodumpling

I am not here for the babies protesting. The whole point of our existence is so they don't have to. This must end now.
I keep seeing posts about how STRONG this generation is in the face of racism. I'm not that strong and I'm old. I'm from the generation of knuck if you buck. If you run up in my face on some racist ish we fighting.

Kanky

The “defund the police and they won’t be able to bother us” idea is not making sense to me.

The police harass black people to raise money for the city. This is why when the NYPD was on strike they didn’t stop arresting murderers, they stopped giving tickets for nonsense. That cost the city a lot of revenue.

A lot of the city’s budget and a lot middle and upper middle class jobs are created and funded by the police harassing black people. You can strip the police budget to the bone and they will still harass black people because the city budget demands it. They need black people to get a ticket or be arrested for a minor crime to collect fees. Unless they are going to raise taxes or spread these nonsense tickets and arrests out equally then this practice will continue.

The white middle class majority will vote out a politician who raises their taxes or allows them to be harassed by the cops for revenue. Defunding the police won’t fix that.

Last edited:

Re: Kente cloth... the members of the CBC wear them all the time. They probably have a bag full of extras that they keep on hand for special [photo-op] occasions like this. :lol:

As a Ghanaian, I love whenever our culture is appreciated. This wasn't an empty gesture either, it was coupled with the announcement of a landmark bill

It is possible the kente was a gift during this trip

Last edited: