George Floyd Dies After Saying He Can't Breathe After Arrest...video Shows Cop With Knee On His Neck

Kanky

Many of us forget that "the police" are still human.
Yes, if they are given less funds, they still have a job to do and are expected to carry out their responsibilities with integrity and professionalism. My question is, if we already have issues with some of them doing the aforementioned, will defunding them and disrespecting their occupation as a collective create the positive outcomes we want? I don't think so.

A man's identity is tied to his occupation in a way that I don't think most women understand.

If they don't want to be disrespected as an occupation then they need to have enough self respect to do something about the criminals with badges that they work with.

washyohandslildirty

If they don't want to be disrespected as an occupation then they need to have enough self respect to do something about the criminals with badges that they work with.

You're right.
But the sad reality that is hard to wrestle with is that for the collective of Black women, those criminal with badges are the only protection we have from the criminals in our communities. Who harms Black women and children the most?

Me saying that doesn't negate the "effed-upness" of the police. But who's going to protect us from dangerous Black men in our communities? Not other Black men. Right now it is the police.

Ganjababy

This video is deep and heavy.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
Yours is not a popular opinion so thank you for sharing.
Many of us forget that "the police" are still human.
Yes, if they are given less funds, they still have a job to do and are expected to carry out their responsibilities with integrity and professionalism. My question is, if we already have issues with some of them doing the aforementioned, will defunding them and disrespecting their occupation as a collective create the positive outcomes we want? I don't think so.

A man's identity is tied to his occupation in a way that I don't think most women understand.
Denigrating the importance/image of the policeman by defunding the institution (I know most women don't see defunding that way but a lot of men do) will cause a HUMAN reaction, not a professional reaction. The human reaction will be "well since I'm the cause of your problems, you don't need me and I won't overextend myself." Whether that reaction is rational or not, that will be the reaction.

So when the police intentionally back off in black neighborhoods, where will that leave black women and children?
ETA: Actually, we can go to 3:00 to find out where it will leave Black women and children

Kanky

You're right.
But the sad reality that is hard to wrestle with is that for the collective of Black women, those criminal with badges are the only protection we have from the criminals in our communities. Who harms Black women and children the most?

Me saying that doesn't negate the "effed-upness" of the police. But who's going to protect us from dangerous Black men in our communities? Not other Black men. Right now it is the police.

Judging by the rates at which black women are subject to violent crime, I would say that the police are acting as the cleanup crew at best. Black women and children are mostly being harmed by the men that live in their houses.

Miss_Luna

I listened to The Daily Podcast - Case for Defunding the Police, and they gave a pretty good analysis on what defunding the police could look like.

In some cities, Compton, Camden and Minneapolis (ironically), they've dismantled and rebuilt the police force in an effort to create change and shift the current MO of the police force.

One challenge they mentioned is that the police force is a union; one major union bylaw is "last in, first out", which would potentially lead to younger, more progressive officers being let go from the force, thus leaving us with the officers that have this racist, old-school methodology of policing. By dismantling and rebuilding, in my opinion, they would be able to rebuild in a more positive way.

Defunding can lead to reallocation of resources to communities. I believe one example in the podcast was around calling 911 for a drug overdose, you would get the ambulance and a social worker (I'm probably mixing the examples up), instead of a cop with a loaded gun. Also, they discussed food deserts and how funds for community-based grocery stores could be used with the funds that they have been defunded from the police.

I think police are necessary, especially in impoverished communities. Where there is lack of opportunity, there is an increase in crime. People need to eat, have mouths to feed, don't always have proper coping skills (leading to drugs and violent behavior). Putting resources to address these needs should theoretically reduce instances of petty crime.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Defunding the police force will work exactly the same way defunding the public school system has minority areas which already has terrible service from it's police in the best of times. You get what you pay for and compensation/benefits are a serious incentive to do a dangerous job even for the most noble of cops. In that regard, defunding may as well be dismantling because you're going to get a similar result.

washyohandslildirty

Judging by the rates at which black women are subject to violent crime, I would say that the police are acting as the cleanup crew at best. Black women and children are mostly being harmed by the men that live in their houses.

That's a very interesting point!
If the police are acting as the cleanup crew at best for Black women harmed by Black men in their houses, then Black women need to be encouraged by the community to not think that "calling the police on a Black man is the same as potentially getting him killed". The Black community needs to encourage Black women to think of their own safety first and call the police instead of protecting Black men and not getting the police involved.

If the rates at which black women are subject to violent crime by men that live in their houses are so high that by the time the police come they are just the cleanup crew at best....then Black women need to start putting themselves first and start calling the cops more often than they do. Because we all know that Black women hesitate to call the police on Black men because of possible police brutality.

ETA: All that to say, I think it's difficult for Black women to admit that as much as we hate the police for assaulting and killing Black people...we still need someone to call from the, mostly, men in our homes and communities who are raping, molesting, assaulting and killing us and the men in our families at higher rates than any group. We're in a bad position.

Last edited:

Ganjababy

They’ve cancelled Cops. I don’t think I watched it since I was a kid. But I remember liking the theme song because it was familiar but being gobsmacked at some of the things it showed. And pulling gone with the wind from hbo. Gone with the wind should still be made available for learning, reference and context.

Last edited:

Kanky

Now that I’ve thought about it a bit more, the police are not doing a good job protecting black men either. Violent crime isn’t prevented, the murder solve rates are really low in a lot of areas. They are the clean up crew. Instead of removing violent criminals they harass poor people to generate fines.

I have a relative who was assaulted by the police at a peaceful protest some years back. She is a middle class black woman.

That violence was the only violence that she’d ever experienced outside of getting into a fight in middle school. Her husband had a gun pulled on him at a traffic stop on his way home from work. He is a second generation college grad as well and that was the first time he’d ever been afraid of being shot.

I have never feared that a member of my family would be the victim of violent crimes outside of an interaction with the police. We are middle class black people. A lot of this conversation focuses on people living in the inner city as if that is all that there is to blackness.

washyohandslildirty

Now that I’ve thought about it a bit more, the police are not doing a good job protecting black men either. Violent crime isn’t prevented, the murder solve rates are really low in a lot of areas. They are the clean up crew. Instead of removing violent criminals they harass poor people to generate fines.

I have a relative who was assaulted by the police at a peaceful protest some years back. She is a middle class black woman.

That violence was the only violence that she’d ever experienced outside of getting into a fight in middle school. Her husband had a gun pulled on him at a traffic stop on his way home from work. He is a second generation college grad as well and that was the first time he’d ever been afraid of being shot.

I have never feared that a member of my family would be the victim of violent crimes outside of an interaction with the police. We are middle class black people. A lot of this conversation focuses on people living in the inner city as if that is all that there is to blackness.

Sis, whether we like it or not, the majority of Black people in America are not middle class black people.
Are we going to advocate for the majority or the minority?

Kanky

That's a very interesting point!
If the police are acting as the cleanup crew at best for Black women harmed by Black men in their houses, then Black women need to be encouraged by the community to not think that "calling the police on a Black man is the same as potentially getting him killed". The Black community needs to encourage Black women to think of their own safety first and call the police instead of protecting Black men and not getting the police involved.

If the rates at which black women are subject to violent crime by men that live in their houses are so high that by the time the police come they are just the cleanup crew at best....then Black women need to start putting themselves first and start calling the cops more often than they do. Because we all know that Black women hesitate to call the police on Black men because of possible police brutality.

ETA: All that to say, I think it's difficult for Black women to admit that as much as we hate the police for assaulting and killing Black people...we still need someone to call from the, mostly, men in our homes and communities who are raping, molesting, assaulting and killing us and the men in our families at higher rates than any group. We're in a bad position.

The police cannot save black women and children from the dangerous person that they have invited into their homes and social circles. They can clean up at best.

Calling the police is in fact for calling for potentially deadly force to applied to whatever situation. That is why we take swatting and racist 911 calls so seriously.

Of course sometimes it is appropriate to call for that kind of force. I think that black women should call the police as they see fit. I also think black women should stop ignoring the obvious red flags before it gets to that point.

Sis, whether we like it or not, the majority of Black people in America are not middle class black people.

I am, as always, advocating for myself. :look:

I want police to be held to a high standard of behavior so that if some looney white person calls the police on me or my husband for no reason, a hit man doesn’t show up.

However, I think that holding the police to very high standards will ultimately benefit everyone. Those videos of journalists and middle class college students missing eyes and being beaten in the head have woken a lot of people up to the fact that the police get away with way too much.

This. Police reform is sorely needed, but I think a lot of the “defund the police” talk coming from the black middle class is out-of-touch with what is going on in lower income black neighborhoods.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
It really is a terrible slogan, because they spend so much time explaining what they do and do not mean, and it can be easily misinterpreted. It is the "Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter" thing all over again. :lol:

Now people either believe or pretend to believe that the goal is criminals running wild and 911 not working.

Basically. I don't know who started saying 'defund' instead of 'reform' 'restart' 'reallocate' etc..

Kanky

This. Police reform is sorely needed, but I think a lot of the “defund the police” talk coming from the black middle class is out-of-touch with what is going on in lower income black neighborhoods.
A lot of people calling for defunding live in the neighborhoods that they are talking about. But this is why they need to clarify exactly what they are asking for.

I think that policeman needs to be a job that pays really well, requires education beyond high school and is easy to lose if you mess up. I think that some of the worst police forces should fire every single cop and start over, hiring people are very well trained, who are not corrupt and who are not protected by a union.

The civilian oversight board should be powerful and reflect the community.

The police should be required to pay for their own insurance (like doctors )and insurance should be required to practice. Cops with a lot of complaints will therefore be unable to practice policing. Cops who screw up can be sued without the money coming out of the tax payer’s pockets.

A lot of people calling for defunding live in the neighborhoods that they are talking about. But this is why they need to clarify exactly what they are asking for.

I think that policeman needs to be a job that pays really well, requires education beyond high school and is easy to lose if you mess up. I think that some of the worst police forces should fire every single cop and start over, hiring people who are not corrupt, not protected by a union and very well trained. The civilian oversight board should be powerful and reflect the community.

True. I agree. :yep:

Kanky

Defunding the police force will work exactly the same way defunding the public school system has minority areas which already has terrible service from it's police in the best of times. You get what you pay for and compensation/benefits are a serious incentive to do a dangerous job even for the most noble of cops. In that regard, defunding may as well be dismantling because you're going to get a similar result.
I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I can’t help but notice that calls for defunding the police are coming at the same time that city and state budgets are wrecked because of Covid 19 shutdowns and lower tax revenues.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I can’t help but notice that calls for defunding the police are coming at the same time that city and state budgets are wrecked because of Covid 19 shutdowns and lower tax revenues.
Nope BLM and affiliates have had this in mind for a minute. That said @ 1:17 the people who are translating defund as abolish aren't pulling it out of their butts. This made the rounds 3 years ago.

Keen

I'm just learning about this. I hope people don't start thinking this was not racially motivated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-floyd-derek-chauvin-nightclub-bumped-heads/#app

As mourners in Houston honor the life of George Floyd in Minneapolis, CBS News is learning new details from a nightclub coworker about alleged history between Floyd and Derek Chauvin, the former officer who is charged in Floyd's death. According to a former coworker, not only did they know each other, but they had a history of friction.

Floyd and Chauvin both worked security at a nightclub at the same time. Coworker David Pinney said the two men had a history.

"They bumped heads," Pinney said.

"How?" CBS News asked.

"It has a lot to do with Derek being extremely aggressive within the club with some of the patrons, which was an issue," Pinney explained.

The Floyd family says they believe what happened on May 25 was in part personal. Their lawyer has called for Chauvin to be charged with first-degree murder, "because we believe he knew who George Floyd was."

"Is there any doubt in your mind that Derek Chauvin knew George Floyd?" CBS News asked Pinney.

"No. He knew him," the coworker said.

"How well did he know him?" CBS News asked.

"I would say pretty well," Pinney replied.

Maya Santamaria, the owner of the now protest-torched club, described how Chauvin treated black patrons when she talked to CBS News for the upcoming special "Justice for All."

Santamaria said she had been paying Chauvin, when he was off-duty, to sit in his squad car outside El Nuevo Rodeo for 17 years. She said Floyd worked as a security guard inside the club frequently in the last year. In particular, they both worked on Tuesday nights, when the club had a popular weekly dance competition.

"Do you think Derek had a problem with black people?" CBS News asked.

"I think he was afraid and intimidated," Santamaria said.

"By black folks?" CBS News clarified.

"Yeah," Santamaria confirmed.

charmingt

Amherst man pushed by police responds after Trump tweet: 'Black Lives Matter'
Sarah Taddeo, New York State Team Published 11:53 a.m. ET June 9, 2020 | Updated 9:57 a.m. ET June 10, 2020

Click to Play

Play
Pause
Sound On
Sound Off

0:00
0:45
AD

SKIP
Open Share
Enter Full Screen
Exit Full Screen

CLOSE

A 75-year-old man suffered a head injury and is in 'stable but serious condition' after he was shoved by police during a protest in Buffalo, New York. Storyful

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
was seen bleeding from the back of the head after he hit the sidewalk.

Gugino was present at a peaceful protest in Buffalo on Thursday and was one of several dozen people standing in front of City Hall, about 10 minutes after the city’s 8 p.m. curfew started, according to bystanders.

In multiple videos of the moment, Gugino approached a group of Buffalo Police officers on the sidewalk.

He appeared to say something to them and gestured toward them with what appeared to be a phone or other device.

He was then shoved backward by two officers, after which he lost his balance, stumbled back and fell, whacking his head hard on the sidewalk.

Witnesses say Gugino began bleeding from his ear, and video footage shows blood pooling near his head.

Police called emergency personnel to assist Gugino, who was released to the rehabilitation floor of Erie County Medical Center Wednesday morning, according to his attorney Kelly Zarcone. He was in fair condition as of Tuesday, according to the medical center.

"His condition continues to improve and we hope he will be released within the next two weeks," said Zarcone.

Gugino's attorney responds to Trump tweet

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Over 300 rallied, protested in Buffalo
Fullscreen

Post to Facebook
Posted!
A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square walking on Court Street. A protester holds up a sign making a derogatory remark about one of the police officers while walking by Buffalo Police Headquarters. The officer is accused of pushing a 75-year-old man down while clearing Niagara Square yesterday. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen
28 Photos
Over 300 rallied, protested in Buffalo

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee during a moment of silence and a speech. The two doctors hold signs. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. Several groups gathered at different points during the day. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A group of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals came from a variety of hospitals in Buffalo. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

New York State Police carrying batons, shields and helmets enter Buffalo Police Headquarters in Buffalo on Friday, June 5, 2020. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. and then took a knee. After observing a moment of silence and hearing speeches the large group dispersed. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

A march from Niagara Square in Buffalo ,NY started around 5 p.m. Friday, June 5, 2020 with a large group walking down Chippewa St. many protesting Buffalo police. The group numbered several hundred. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

A march from Niagara Square in Buffalo ,NY started around 5 p.m. Friday, June 5, 2020 with a large group walking down Chippewa St. many protesting Buffalo police. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo, NY Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee. Takesha Leonard, a nurse practitioner at Jericho Road Community Health Center in Buffalo cries as she listens to the organizer of white coats for Black lives. She said, ÒI have five boys at home, itÕs hitting me really hard.Ó She called the event beautiful. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. Early in the evening a drumming group performed for the crowd, pausing between songs for chants and speeches. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee. At the end of the evening another group came back to Niagara Square and marched north chanting "Black Lives Matter" and "This is what democracy looks like." This group was walking along Richmond St. at Auburn Ave. several miles away from Niagara Square. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. Supporters of Black Lives Matter and anti-racism started coming to the square early evening. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. After several short speeches the group broke up and left before Buffalo's curfew started. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo, NY Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee. At the end of the evening another group came back to Niagara Square chanting and having supporters driving around the park holding signs or yelling out the cars before they marched north chanting "Black Lives Matter" and "This is what democracy looks like." Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee after listening to a speech. Many supported racial equity and Black Lives Matter with the signs they brought. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Dem
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee. Dr. Ashley Jeanlus with the microphone talks to the crowd, beside her is Dr. Latrice Johnson who helped Jeanlus. The two are OB/GYNs at Oishei Children's Hospital in Buffalo. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square chanting and after several speeches peacefully left. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee after a speech by an organizer. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

New York State Police arrive before a 6 p.m. protest nearby in Niagara Square. They came to assist the Buffalo Police and headed into the Buffalo Police Headquarters Friday, June 5, 2020. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

A march from Niagara Square in Buffalo ,NY started around 5 p.m. Friday, June 5, 2020 with a large group walking down Chippewa St. many protesting Buffalo police. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square. A couple hundred people, white coats for Black lives, gathered in Niagara Square and silently protested taking a knee. and observing silence after a speech. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo Friday, June 5, 2020. Many people held up their signs throughout speeches at Niagara Square. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Several large groups of protesters gathered peacefully in Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo, NY Friday, June 5, 2020. One large group that had approximately 300 or more people marched to nearby Lafayette Square after going around Niagara Square and walking past Buffalo City Hall. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen

Solomon Harrison of West Seneca holds up a sign, "What Have Black People Done To Be So Hated!?" in Niagara Square during a gathering of protesters in Buffalo , NY Friday, June 5, 2020. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Dem
Fullscreen

Randy Zimmer of Buffalo upset about what happened to the 75-year-old man yesterday came out to Buffalo, NY City Hall to protest Friday, June 5, 2020. He said his sign is asking the police why are they so scared. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Dem
Fullscreen

Byron Fogan of Lancaster, NY held a silent peace walk to raise awareness for peace and justice. The walk started from Niagara Square and went north to Gates Circle in Buffalo, NY Friday, June 5, 2020. Tina MacIntyre-Yee/Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Fullscreen
Interested in this topic? You may also want to view these photo galleries:
Replay

1 of 28
Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
to the Washington Post, Zarcone called Trump's tweet “a dark, dangerous and untrue accusation.”

“Martin has always been a PEACEFUL protester because he cares about today’s society," Zarcone said.

"He is also a typical Western New Yorker who loves his family. No one from law enforcement has suggested otherwise so we’re at a loss to understand why the president of the United States would make such a dark, dangerous and untrue accusation against him.”

Twitter said that it considered Trump’s tweet speculative and that did not violate the platform’s rules, the Post reported.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo ripped the president's tweet, saying he should apologize for "the reprehensible, dumb comment," calling it written with "no proof whatsoever."

Cuomo said angrily during his briefing Tuesday: "Do you think it was staged? Do you think the blood coming out of his head was staged?"

More: Elderly Buffalo man pushed to ground by police 'comes from a peace tradition'

More: Social-media reaction to Buffalo man pushed by police is swift and fierce

Peaceful man, but works to correct injustice
is a longtime peaceful activist who was known to show up at protests or rallies and ask hard questions. But he was not violent.

“When (Gugino) sees an injustice, he steps forward to bear witness and work to correct it,” said Terrence Bisson, a longtime friend, of Gugino’s activism in general. “He was a peaceful presence. That was his goal."

Gugino had an internet presence on Youtube, social media and a blog, on which he discussed various issues of activism and was at times critical of President Trump or the police.

His blog states he has been arrested four times with no convictions. Both his YouTube and Twitter have been deleted.

Since Thursday’s incident, some social media users have said Gugino was there to provoke unrest or start trouble with police.

Get the Coronavirus Watch newsletter in your inbox.
Updates on how the coronavirus is affecting your community and the nation

Delivery: Varies
Your Email

Invalid email address
Videos posted following Thursday’s incident show Gugino speaking to a group of people in front of City Hall that same evening; some in the group appear to be upset by Gugino’s views or his presence there.

More: Buffalo police officers seen pushing man to ground charged with assault

'We will not be distracted'

Martin Gugino shown in June 2019 at at Buffalo Youth Climate Strike rally. (Photo: Provided)

Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown released a statement Tuesday on the president’s tweet, saying the City of Buffalo has been engaged in constructive discussions around racial equity, and that they “will not be distracted from this urgent work.”

“Our focus on positive change is stronger than ever,” Brown said in the statement. “My administration remains hopeful that Mr. Gugino will experience a full recovery. And that the officers involved in this incident receive due process under law.”

Brown said in a statement last Thursday that he was “disturbed” by the video of the incident between police and Gugino.

It was later inaccurately reported that Brown referred to Gugino as “a major instigator” and an “agitator”; Brown had been referring to another individual at the time.

Two officers, Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe, have been charged with one count each of second-degree assault, a felony, in connection with the incident.

They pleaded not guilty and were released. They are expected back in court for a felony hearing on July 20.

More: 2 Buffalo cops charged with assault after video shows officers shoving 75-year-old man to the ground

Everything Zen

SMDH :censored:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...0200611-je3afw3lxbhknicv37ijnncgkq-story.html

Chicago police made coffee and popcorn in US Rep. Bobby Rush’s office while shopping plaza was being looted, he says

GREGORY PRATT, JEREMY GORNER
June 11 at 1:20 PM CT

Chicago police officers made popcorn and coffee in U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush’s office while nearby businesses were being looted last month, he announced at a stunning news conference alongside Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
Rush’s South Side campaign office was looted about two weeks ago during widespread civil unrest in the wake of George Floyd’s killing by Minneapolis police. Looters also went into a nearby plaza of businesses, he said.
Rush said he got a call that his campaign offices at 65th Street and South Wentworth Avenue had been burglarized, and there was video of eight or more police officers “lounging in my office” as looters were in the shopping center nearby.
Rush looked at the video and saw eight or more cops, including three supervisors, with their feet up on desks, he said.

“One was asleep on my couch in my campaign office,” Rush said.
“They even had the unmitigated gall to go and make coffee for themselves and make coffee for themselves and to pop popcorn, my popcorn, in my microwave while looters were tearing apart businesses within their sight and within their reach,” Rush said.
Rush brought the matter to Lightfoot’s attention on Wednesday, and the information “enraged” her and her team, Lightfoot said.
Lightfoot apologized to Rush during the news conference on behalf of the city for his office being treated “with such profound disrespect.”

“That’s a personal embarrassment to me,” Lightfoot said. “I’m sorry that you and your staff even had to deal with this incredible indignity."
Sign up for The Spin to get the top stories in politics delivered to your inbox weekday afternoons.
Rush is a co-founder of the Illinois Black Panther Party and has been in Congress since 1993, representing parts of the South Side, Cook and Will counties. He was a Chicago alderman for a decade before that.
He lost a race for Chicago mayor in 1999 and in 2000 beat back a primary challenge from future President Barack Obama. Rush has had a contentious relationship with Lightfoot, whom he falsely accused of being the Fraternal Order of Police’s chosen candidate in 2019.
While campaigning for Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle last year, Rush said those who voted for Lightfoot would have “the blood of the next young black man or black woman who is killed by the police” on their hands.

Alluding to that history, Lightfoot said they were together against the alleged police misconduct.
“We haven’t always agreed on every issue, but today, we are in total alignment in our righteous anger and our steadfast determination, and I want to make sure that’s very clear,” Lightfoot said. “What I know of Congressman Rush is this — he has committed his life to calling out and fighting against injustice and this presents exactly one of those moments.”
Rush also said he didn’t give her the benefit of the doubt before but now stands “without any doubt, any doubt, any doubt in my heart, in my mind and in my spirit that she is absolutely committed to the well-being of all Chicagoans, bar none.”
The news about police misconduct at Rush’s office comes as some Chicago police officers are being scrutinized for their conduct during the protests and civil unrest that followed Floyd’s killing. Lightfoot and police leaders have praised most Chicago cops for being respectful and restrained with the public but have pledged zero tolerance for those who don’t.
The Cook County state’s attorney’s office and the FBI are reviewing allegations that Chicago police pulled a woman from a car by her hair and placed a knee on her neck.
Chicago Police Board President Ghian Foreman, who oversees the panel in charge of serious officer discipline, said cops hit him with batons as they clashed with protesters who marched on the South Side over Floyd’s killing.
And a Chicago cop who was called out by Lightfoot after being photographed making an obscene gesture at protesters last week has been stripped of his police powers and moved to administrative tasks, according to the Police Department.

Kanky

SMDH :censored:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...0200611-je3afw3lxbhknicv37ijnncgkq-story.html

Chicago police made coffee and popcorn in US Rep. Bobby Rush’s office while shopping plaza was being looted, he says

Of course they did. Some of the police went to tear gas and beat people holding protest signs while the rest let the city burn and be looted. They wanted the destruction because they were mad about their power being challenged. They should be fired. And then arrested for looting that man's popcorn. :lol: