Gettind Baptized a second time

southernchocolate

I've done some things in my life that I'm not proud of. I was baptized at the age of 12 but honestly I didn't really know what it meant. I come from the type of family where as long as you get baptized at an early age, you can still go and do your dirt (i.e. cuss, gamble, fornicate) and will be covered. I know that there are many other "Christians" like this but I don't want to be that.

I've been contemplating getting baptized again. I feel as if I should. I want to live for the Lord wholeheartedly. I want to be the woman he wants me to be not the woman I think I should be. Are there any 2nd go-round baptized out there? If so, what made you do it again? How has your life been since?

Itllbeokbaby

i was born into a methodist congre., and became baptist. i wanted to be dipped, not just sprinkled. (now i'm non-denom.)

i feel much better, like i'm really part of the church (bride) now. if your church allows you to, i would take the nessesary steps to get baptized again. it was worth it (to me).

hope this helps :)

inthepink

Not me personally though I was early 30s when baptized the first time. But there are many people who were baptized as children not knowing what it meant. To get baptized and truly know the meaning is an important step, I think. I remember one of my teachers from a bible study said that he was baptized young and didn't live for Christ. But in his mid-20s, he began to live for Christ and even played in the worship band at church for years and years and years and then suddenly, he realized that he never formally committed himself to Christ especially after watching baptisms many, many times. So, he got baptized again. Of course, this has nothing to do with you being saved or not saved - it's a personal choice and a symbol of commitment if you choose to do so. Good luck in making your decision.

blazingthru

. Of course, this has nothing to do with you being saved or not saved - it's a personal choice and a symbol of commitment if you choose to do so. Good luck in making your decision.

I am getting baptised again soon, This will be number four for me. The first i wasn't aware what was going on. the second I was and the third I was aware but did not know the truth, I thought I knew the truth now that I know the truth I am prepared to get baptised in the truth. but why do you say its a personal choice?

blazingthru

OP I don't see anything with getting rebaptized especially if you were baptized as a child or you were baptized under a different faith then you are now. I don't agree with doing it again and again but in my case. I am doing it again because now I know the truth. When I got baptized I had to study the bible the last two times but I wasn't studying the bible for myself I was studying under what I was told to study and I hurried up and did it for fear not for love of God or showing the world that I am making a covenant with God. I wanted to love God but I didnt' know him. I know him now. I understand God a little better now and this is why I am making a decision to do it again. But let me find scriptures its not my opinion that counts or anyone else its the Lords words so let me go and find some.

inthepink

I am getting baptised again soon, This will be number four for me. The first i wasn't aware what was going on. the second I was and the third I was aware but did not know the truth, I thought I knew the truth now that I know the truth I am prepared to get baptised in the truth. but why do you say its a personal choice?

Since you've already been baptized before, it's a personal choice on whether you want to do it again. It has nothing to do with your salvation. It is a symbol of your commitment. You can be a Christian without being baptized but it's a desired action.

Here's some info from gotquestions.org
http://www.gotquestions.org/unbiblical-baptism.html

Question: "I was baptized unbiblically. Do I need to be rebaptized?"

Answer:
The Bible is very clear about baptism. There are two points we all need to understand. (1) Baptism is to take place after a person has received Jesus Christ as Savior, trusting in Him alone for salvation. (2) Baptism is to be by immersion. The word baptize literally means to "immerse / submerge in water." Baptism by immersion is the only method of baptism that adequately illustrates what baptism symbolizes—believers dying, being buried with Christ, and being raised to newness of life (Romans 6:3-4).

With those two key points in mind, what about those who were baptized unbiblically? For the sake of clarification, let's divide this into two categories as well. First, in the instance of someone who was baptized before he/she became a Christian. Common examples of this are those who were baptized as infants, or those who were baptized later in life, but did not truly know Jesus as Savior when they were baptized. In these instances, yes, such a person definitely needs to be rebaptized. Again, the Bible states that baptism is post-salvation. The symbolism of baptism is lost if a person has not truly experienced salvation by faith in Jesus Christ.

Second, in the instance of those who were baptized after faith in Christ, but in a method other than immersion. This issue is a little more difficult. It would seem to come down to the fact that such a person did not truly receive baptism. If the method was sprinkling or pouring, it does not fit the definition of baptism. Again, the word baptize means "to submerge in water." However, the Bible nowhere specifically addresses those who have been baptized but not immersed. This issue, then, is a matter of a believer's personal relationship with God. A believer who has been baptized unbiblically should ask the Lord for wisdom (James 1:5). If the believer's conscience is unsure, it would be best to go ahead and be rebaptized biblically to put the conscience at ease (Romans 14:23).

inthepink

OP I don't see anything with getting rebaptized especially if you were baptized as a child or you were baptized under a different faith then you are now. I don't agree with doing it again and again but in my case. I am doing it again because now I know the truth. When I got baptized I had to study the bible the last two times but I wasn't studying the bible for myself I was studying under what I was told to study and I hurried up and did it for fear not for love of God or showing the world that I am making a covenant with God. I wanted to love God but I didnt' know him. I know him now. I understand God a little better now and this is why I am making a decision to do it again. But let me find scriptures its not my opinion that counts or anyone else its the Lords words so let me go and find some.

That's right.

No, I don't agree with just getting baptized over and over again either!

I put some info in my above post that may help.

blazingthru

Romans 6:4 (New Living Translation)
4 For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. ( our old life is passed away, no more cursing, smoking, partying etc.,) And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.
Galatians 3:27 (New Century Version)

26-27 You were all baptized into Christ, and so you were all clothed with Christ. This means that you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4:5 (New Living Translation)
5 There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, ( one true baptism)
1 Peter 3:21 (New Living Translation)
21 And that water is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response to God from[a] a clean conscience. It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
1 John 5:6 (New Living Translation)

6 And Jesus Christ was revealed as God’s Son by his baptism in water and by shedding his blood on the cross[a]—not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit, who is truth, confirms it with his testimony.
Acts 13:24 (New Living Translation)
24 Before he came, John the Baptist preached that all the people of Israel needed to repent of their sins and turn to God and be baptized ( I believe this still stands we must repent before we get baptized)

Colossians 2:12 (New Living Translation)
12 For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead.