Getting bored of my hair, thinking of chopping

Jade

I have natural 4a/4b hair, it's probably about 8 inches long now. I have been patiently waiting to get to this point and now I've decided *my* hair isn't that exciting as it gets longer. It is fine textured, not thin, but not thick either.

I have a busy family life and find that 2-strand twisting just takes too long these days. So my hair is always in some kind of puff pulled back by a headband of some sort. I wish I could wear my hair out *without* a headband but it doesn't look right.

I finally decided to get Curve's curly pudding, thinking that it would help me to wear my hair "out" (without the headband). It is a good product but frankly to get the look I was going for, my hair would have to be texturized. I would texturize my hair but I live in a very ethnically-challenged area and I doubt there are any good salons around here that I could trust to do what I want.

Should I play around with heat-straightening and/or coloring my hair for fun, and if it damages it, simply chop back down again? That's what I'm thinking of doing... has anyone else gone this route? If I heat straighten it, which is better - blowdrying/curling iron, or flat iron (I don't trust myself with a pressing comb).

Thanks!!!!

TigerLily

Try heat straightening. I usually blow dry with a paddle brush and press and flat iron. I didn't trust myself with a pressing comb either, but I bought an electric hot comb and that works great. Make sure you use a heat protectant. I use biosilk silk therapy or NTM healing shine serum. You can also use elasta qp mango butter.