Getting to Know Your Hair Properties

Sistaslick

Faith said:
You rock :) Thanks for the post. I have a question for you..kind of OT. Would you recommend a porosity conditioner to the ends of ones hair before a relaxer? I'm thinking of applying my CON prosity conditioner to the relaxed ends before I touch up the roots. Thanks :)

That doesn't sound bad at all to me. It would protect the ends of the hair from overprocessing and reduce any extreme porosity problems that may be already on those ends. I'd do it :up:

Sistaslick

devin said:
great info Sista!! Thanks again for the wonderful and informative post! You are going to have us seriously educated on hair. I have a question. I have porosity control and rarely use it. It seems that my hair has some porous issues. How much acv do you mix in the water and does it matter what type of water you use? Also when do you use the acv rinse, before shampooing or after deep conditioning? Do you know anything about porosity control? If so, when would I use it? Thanks in advance!:)

I've never personally used Roux's porosity control, I usually just go with ACV rinses for correcting my own porosity issues.:lol: A really good Roux's porosity control thread was bumped recently so you can check that one out for some reviews and techniques using that particular product. ;up: My ACV rinse mix is usually 1/4 ACV in 2 cups of regular cool water. I do it as a final rinse after a deep conditioning. Some like to do it before the conditioning step b/c ACV tends to be a little "odor-rific" :lol: It still works well either way. If your hair comes out hard/tangly following the rinse, your ACV is not diluted enough and you need to add more water to the rinse. Your wet hair should gleam, be smooth, and tangle free. :D

Sistaslick

metalkitty said:
How intermeresting and informative! Thanks so much for posting this, you guru! I'm a little confused about this one thing though, when I use Porosity Control or ACV rinses my hair feels so healthy (moisturized, doesn't break as much) but it dries much quicker... Is this a bad thing???

Hmmm, girl that is certainly interesting! :scratchch The general rule of thumb is that overly porous hair dries the fastest b/c the cuticles are lifted and/or damaged and can't hold onto the water it absorbs very well. But yours dries faster when the porosity problem is corrected? :lol: Now that's something. :lol: I have no clue why that is though. As long as your hair is feeling good and the breakage is not a problem-- I personally wouldn't worry at all.

SexySin985

Sistaslick, you're the BEST!!!!!:dance7:

Thank you so much for all your contributions to this forum. You are truly a genius:yep:

:) :D :) :D :)

Healthb4Length

Thanks for posting this! You should just change your name to LHCFChemist because you have so much knowlege on the subject. I try and print out EVERYTHING you post:lol:.

myco

I have acidifying products at home that I don't use like I should. This thread inspired me to pull them out over the weekend - along with a mayo pre-treatment thanks to Anky. You could knock me over with a feather today. My hair looks sooo good. :dance7: It's shiny and soft with absolutely no frizz on a muggy day in GA. The curls are holding shape and my crown area is not poofing.

I hope this is the answer to fighting humidity for my hair.

Faith

Sistaslick said:
That doesn't sound bad at all to me. It would protect the ends of the hair from overprocessing and reduce any extreme porosity problems that may be already on those ends. I'd do it :up:

Cinnabuns

Girl I just love your posts, they are so imformative.

Sistaslick, please let me know if you plan on writing a book because I want to be the first one to get an autographed copy.:)

JazzyDez

Dang That Girl Sista STAYS ON POINT!:user:

Thanks for the info..... :thumbsup:

**Printing now and adding to personal hair bible**

JazzyDez

Question: Since neutralizing poos lower the acidity of your hair and lowers the cuticles & gives it shine etc....Would it be ok to wash hair with a neutralizing shampoo outside of the relaxer process?

I know some use acv rinses for this reason.....but was wondering if there would be any additional harm or reason not to use a neutralizing shampoo for that effect.

Sistaslick

You guys are too nice to me.:lol:

and Jazzy, you could--- the only thing is that neutralizing poos tend to be really strippy, strippy . . . they aren't really the most moisturizing of shampoos if you know what I mean.:lol: I actually tried that after I permanently colored my hair last year because it just felt so dry, rough, and puffy-- and wasn't staying moisturized even after doing some protein conditioning and sticking to a high moisture/deep conditioning regimen. I knew then that it had to be a porosity problem. I was thinking like you and figured, heeey let me try this neutralizing poo (Isoplus), and surprisingly it helped me a great deal. If you do it only occasionally, I don't see the harm in that-- but for a regular porosity maintenance program, I would probably just go with a moisturizing poo and an ACV rinse.

devin

okay thank ya ma'am! will give this a try.;)

Sistaslick said:
I've never personally used Roux's porosity control, I usually just go with ACV rinses for correcting my own porosity issues.:lol: A really good Roux's porosity control thread was bumped recently so you can check that one out for some reviews and techniques using that particular product. ;up: My ACV rinse mix is usually 1/4 ACV in 2 cups of regular cool water. I do it as a final rinse after a deep conditioning. Some like to do it before the conditioning step b/c ACV tends to be a little "odor-rific" :lol: It still works well either way. If your hair comes out hard/tangly following the rinse, your ACV is not diluted enough and you need to add more water to the rinse. Your wet hair should gleam, be smooth, and tangle free. :D

JazzyDez

Sistaslick said:
You guys are too nice to me.:lol:

and Jazzy, you could--- the only thing is that neutralizing poos tend to be really strippy, strippy . . . they aren't really the most moisturizing of shampoos if you know what I mean.:lol: I actually tried that after I permanently colored my hair last year because it just felt so dry, rough, and puffy-- and wasn't staying moisturized even after doing some protein conditioning and sticking to a high moisture/deep conditioning regimen. I knew then that it had to be a porosity problem. I was thinking like you and figured, heeey let me try this neutralizing poo (Isoplus), and surprisingly it helped me a great deal. If you do it only occasionally, I don't see the harm in that-- but for a regular porosity maintenance program, I would probably just go with a moisturizing poo and an ACV rinse.

I tried the ACV rince once but haven't been consistent with it. I believe I have a porosity problem also (hair does not hold moisture well) so I may have try to do the ACV rinses more often and see if that helps!

Thanks girl.

cocoa32

Thanks for this info Sistaslick this was awesome!

What are the proportions of water to vinegar in an ACV rinse? Should it be done b4 or after conditioning?

Sistaslick

Hey!
I usually use 1/4 cup of ACV to 2 cups of water, but you can adjust the measurements as you like. Too much ACV in your mix will make your hair hard and tangly and too little won't have much effect, so you may need to experiment a little with that. Good luck! :D

newflowers

What I want to know is WHEN is that book going to be published???!?!?!??! I'm ready to stand in line with my cash.