Giovanni Direct Leave-In Alternatives?

Jade Feria

I've used the new formula a few times and my hair told me that she doesn't like it as a leave-in..so I just use it on my ends. Anyone have any ideas for what can be used as a replacement, or works even better than Giovanni Direct?

Please...my hair and I implore you...:perplexed

ETA: Ingredient List

OLD FORMULA

Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).

NEW FORMULA (note all oils in old formula changed to extracts)

Aqua (purified water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Uritica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Thymus Vulagris (Thyme) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Equistetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived), Fragrance (includes Essential Oil)

Last edited:

Alta Angel

Waiting for responses. I tried Giovanni Direct because it was on sale at Whole Foods. I applied it on my new growth only and wrapped my hair in a scarf for the night. The following morning it was literally as if I put cement in my hair! My new growth was so hard and almost impossible to finger detangle.

Ltown

Greyland
Do you have alist of the ingredient in the new GV, I need to be on the look out too? I buy mine in TJ and Marshall which is discount and the older version.

PhonyBaloney500

I use Kinky Curly Knot Today in the same manner--as a leave-in after washing, followed by gel for a wash'n'go (actually used it before Giovanni).

goodmorningruby

I didn't know they changed the formula...Thanks for the heads up. As far as alternatives, if you're looking at leave ins and moisturizers with less chemicals in them, I would check out Qhemet Biologics. I particularly like the Burdock Root Butter Cream. Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner can be left in the hair and that stuff is truly a force to be reckoned with. Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner also doubles as a great leave in and it was pretty good from what I remember.

KittyMeowMeow

Noooooo! Thanks for posting about this...I didn't know they changed it. I have the old formula and love it. Extracts? Pfft. This was the one product where I felt I found a staple. Well, time to go hunting.

Thanks for the suggestions goodmorningruby- I will be checking those out.

LaToya28

I used to be a faithful Direct Leave-in user until I found something better...Rusk Calm Detangler! It is the best leave-in and moisturizer. I love it!

MsButterfli

I used to be a faithful Direct Leave-in user until I found something better...Rusk Calm Detangler! It is the best leave-in and moisturizer. I love it!

THANKS :) I just returned the new formula Giovanni Leave In back to Whole Foods and i realized that i have the Rusk 3 pack with shampoo conditioner and detangler that i never used, guess i'll try this

Vintageglam

I think Giovanni may already know that some customers do not like the new formula.

http://www.iherb.com/Giovanni-Vitap...-In-Hair-Treatment-5-1-fl-oz-150-ml/6891?at=0

Anyway I found this recently, not sure how long they have been selling it for but some ladies have been saying they prefer it....

Description
  • PureOrganic Technology
  • For All Hair Types
  • A unique blend of vitamins and proteins protect hair from heat and chemicals while repairing dry, damaged hair.
  • Organic Hair Care
Vitapro Fusion Protective Moisture Leave-In Hair Treatment with PureOrganic Technology*

• Penetrates damaged hair to rebuild and repair
  • Infuses hair with protein-enriched botanicals
  • Protects hair from heat, chemicals and bad days
Vitamins aren't just good for your body. They're also good for your hair. When combined with protein, the result is stronger, healthier, shinier hair. Vitapro Fusion fuses together the best parts of vitamins with the essential elements in protein to create soft, manageable, beautiful hair. Professional hair. What a treat.
*Contains a blend of organic oils, ripe-harvested from renewable plants of the peak of their freshness, cold pressed and refrigerated immediately to ensure maximum purity. Infuses each individual strand of hair with vitamins, nutrients and protein for strength and vitality.

Suggested Use
Spray into clean, damp hair. Leave in. Comb through to distribute evenly and style.

Supplement Facts Aqua (Purified Water) With *Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, *Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, *Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Betula Alba) Oil, *Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, *Clary (Salvia Sclarea), *Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), *Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Farfara), *Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, *Mallow (Malva Sylvestris), *Horsetail (Equistetum Arvense) Oil, *Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, PVP, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived), Fragrance with Essential Oils.
*Certified Organic by Guaranteed Certification Services

Warnings

No animal by-products and cruelty free.

twnz&1mo

My old relaxed hair and my new natural hair never responded good to the Direct Leave-in full strength. So what I did was dilute it and never had a problem since. And I've also used the Vitrapro and love this one just the way it is. The bottle is smaller, but the over-all feel of my hair felt great.

LaToya28

I bought some of the Vitapro fusion leave-in from WalMart as a replacement for my Jane Carter Solution leave-in. While it doesn't provide much slip, it is a good moisturizing spray.

Jade Feria

I bought some of the Vitapro fusion leave-in from WalMart as a replacement for my Jane Carter Solution leave-in. While it doesn't provide much slip, it is a good moisturizing spray.
Thanks! I would like something with more slip though..that was one of the best things about the Giovanni Direct.
I have this one as well...
http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=Giovanni Direct

Giovanni, Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner, 8.5 fl oz (250 ml)
$5.17 $7.95 (34% Off)

I use them both on my kids mostly but I alternate so many things.
That's the old formula. I ordered mine from vitacost.com and while they had the old ingredients posted on the website, I still received the new formula. That may be the case with this website you posted, so I'd rather not purchase it online.

Jade Feria

I found some for $3.99 at TJ Maxx the other day! I'm going to cowash in a few minutes and then try it out.

Vintageglam

I've heard alot of the women on this board and elsewhere say that they actually got to liking the new formula as soon as they diluted it down.

I know that they also do a weightless leave in spray without the Aloe.

I've used the new formula a few times and my hair told me that she doesn't like it as a leave-in..so I just use it on my ends. Anyone have any ideas for what can be used as a replacement, or works even better than Giovanni Direct?

Please...my hair and I implore you...:perplexed

ETA: Ingredient List

OLD FORMULA

Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).

NEW FORMULA (note all oils in old formula changed to extracts)

Aqua (purified water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Uritica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Thymus Vulagris (Thyme) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Equistetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived), Fragrance (includes Essential Oil)

julzinha

My hair didn't really like the new formula. And even though I am not a product junkie, I want to use up all of my products that I will not repurchase. So I ended up mixing Africa's Best Liquid Leave In Mayonaise and Giovanni Direct with a little Apoghee Green Tea Resturizer and filled the bottle with water and I found the best moisturizer, my hair is very soft which is hard to accomplish.

Jade Feria

My hair didn't really like the new formula. And even though I am not a product junkie, I want to use up all of my products that I will not repurchase. So I ended up mixing Africa's Best Liquid Leave In Mayonaise and Giovanni Direct with a little Apoghee Green Tea Resturizer and filled the bottle with water and I found the best moisturizer, my hair is very soft which is hard to accomplish.
Is that.....so? I just happen to have everything listed except the Africa's Best. What are the ingredients in that? Maybe I have something similar I can mix in to try that.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Alba Botanica, Beauty without Cruelty and Dr. Bronners ALL make great Natural Based Leave-In Products. Highly moisturizing and work wonderfully.:lick:

However, they are Creamy Leave-Ins (which I 'prefer') and not Spray (which was what I didn't like about the Giovanni Direct, plus it made my hair hard/dry:perplexed).

Jade Feria

Alba Botanica, Beauty without Cruelty and Dr. Bronners ALL make great Natural Based Leave-In Products. Highly moisturizing and work wonderfully.:lick:

However, they are Creamy Leave-Ins (which I 'prefer') and not Spray (which was what I didn't like about the Giovanni Direct, plus it made my hair hard/dry:perplexed).
Giovanni Direct IS a creamy leave-in. I prefer those as well. Thanks for those suggestions! I'm curbing my PJism right now though, so I'm gonna chill out for a little while.

Jade Feria

I used it after a cowash with NTM condish. Hmmmmmm the verdict is still out on this one.
Ok, so while I don't care much for Rusk Calm Detangler leave-in as an after-wash leave-in on wet hair, it works WONDERS as a detangler on dry hair! I used it on my dry hair before braiding it in cornrows for my wigs, and now as I'm detangling in preparation for my texlax. This stuff is great! It helped detangle my hair really well plus it made my hair really soft. I'm glad I found some good use for it!

Last edited: