Giving Back to the Boards (Natural Hair Recipes)...

Ms_CoCo37

I've learned so much in the short period of time that I've been on the LHCF boards. Now, I want to give a little something back. Below are a couple of my favorite homemade recipes. I got them from a wonderful little book called Going Natural (by Mireille Liong-A-Kong). This little book helped me with making my transition to natural (2 year anniversary next month...woohoo!).:grin: Enjoy the recipes!

Moisturizing Spritz
1 Tsp of aloe vera juice
1 Tsp of vegetable glycerin (available at health food stores)
3 Drops of your favorite essential oils (one of my personal favorites is Tea Tree Oil)
Spring water
Spray bottle

Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer for an hour to get rid of impurities. Add the ingredients, stir and let it steep until the mixture cools. Pour into the spray bottle and use it as a daily moisturizer to style and keep your hairstyle refreshed.

Coconut Oil Pre Conditioning Treatment
1/4 Cup of honey
1/4 Cup of coconut oil
Pastry brush (optional)
Shower or conditioning cap (this isn't a heating cap. It's like a shower cap from isolating material instead of plastic)

Mix the honey and the coconut oil in a cup placed in hot water. Use the pastry brush to work the warm mixture through the hair section by section unti the hair is fully coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Co-wash and rinse well.

"This treatment is ideal for damaged and dry hair with split ends. Honey is a natural humectant that draws moisture into the hair shafts and seals it in. You can also mix equal parts of honey with your favorite deep conditioner. It is also possible to substitute coconut oil with olive oil or another one of your favorite oils. Essential oils can also be added to the hot oil treatment to enhance the effects."

Ms_CoCo37

I just thought of one more. This one is a great source of protein!

Banana/Avocado Conditioner
1/2 ripe banana
1/2 cup of ripe avocado
1 tbsp EVOO
1 egg yolk

Mix all ingredients in a blender until they are well blended. It should almost be like a puree. Massage the mixture into your hair, and especially your scalp. Cover your hair with a conditioning cap for 45 mins to 1 hour. Don't use heat and rinse with room temperature to slightly warm water (or your head will be full of scrambled eggs).

You can follow up with an ACV rinse if you'd like. :)

Last edited:

Ms_CoCo37

Okay, I found the Rosemary recipe that I was talking about earlier today. I really like this one. It makes my scalp feel cool and refreshed. :yep: Anyway, here is the recipe:

Rosemary Hair Growth Spritz
3-4 Rosemary tea bags
2-3 drops of sage essential oil
1-2 cups of water
Spray bottle

"Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer to release impurities. Add the rosemary teabags and let it steep for about an hour. The more bags steep, the more concentrated the brew will be. If it gets too concentrated the spritz may cause yoru scalp to itch. Add 2-3 drops of sage oil and pour in spray bottle."

Keep the concotion sealed and refrigerated all the time to prevent it from going bad. Also use it within three weeks.

Daily spraying on the scalp's problem areas seems to stimulate hair growth and fill in thinning spots. However, one thing that Mireille mentioned about this spritz is that Rosemary should not be used on women who are pregnant.

lynnstar

Thank you for sharing these recipes MsCoCo37!! Will definitely be trying the banana/avocado conditioner when I take my braids out.

upliftedjw

I just wanna say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this!! I was just about to put in a search on recipes for spritz since I'm shoppin online right now and this pops up in the forum! Wow! lol

THANK U AGAIN!

Ms_CoCo37

I just wanna say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this!! I was just about to put in a search on recipes for spritz since I'm shoppin online right now and this pops up in the forum! Wow! lol

THANK U AGAIN!

You are most welcome! If I come across any more spritz recipes I'll be sure to post them. :)

flower

Okay, I found the Rosemary recipe that I was talking about earlier today. I really like this one. It makes my scalp feel cool and refreshed. :yep: Anyway, here is the recipe:

Rosemary Hair Growth Spritz
3-4 Rosemary tea bags
2-3 drops of sage essential oil
1-2 cups of water
Spray bottle

"Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer to release impurities. Add the rosemary teabags and let it steep for about an hour. The more bags steep, the more concentrated the brew will be. If it gets too concentrated the spritz may cause yoru scalp to itch. Add 2-3 drops of sage oil and pour in spray bottle."

Keep the concotion sealed and refrigerated all the time to prevent it from going bad. Also use it within three weeks.

Daily spraying on the scalp's problem areas seems to stimulate hair growth and fill in thinning spots. However, one thing that Mireille mentioned about this spritz is that Rosemary should not be used on women who are pregnant.

Have you tried the spritz, if so how was your results?

Ms_CoCo37

Have you tried the spritz, if so how was your results?

Yes I've tried both spritzes. The rosemary spritz made my scalp feel really clean and refreshed. I used to have dandruff pretty bad, but when I started making this spritz as well as the other one I posted, the dandruff went away. I went to the salon after about a month or two of using the homemade spritz and conditioning treatments. The stylist kept saying how healthy my scalp was. As far as the growth part I'm not sure. I wasn't completely consistent with spraying it everyday. But my hair was in great condition according to the stylist.

Try it for yourself and see how you like it. Let me know what you think. :)