Glamour Magazine reply to my email

PrincessScorpion

The is a copy of the reply to my email to them about my dislike to them not liking my natural hair.

Dear Tracie,

Thank you very much for your letter about a Glamour editor's reported
comments
on hairstyles for work. We want to take this opportunity to assure you: Her
remark?that Afros are not office-appropriate?does not represent Glamour's
view.

The junior staffer in question was speaking without her superior's
knowledge
or approval. We at the magazine strongly disagree with her comments; they
go against the spirit of inclusion Glamour stands for. We are proud of our
diverse readership, and strive to ensure that all women can find themselves
represented in the magazine. Obviously, this is a grave matter, and this
staffer has been seriously censured; in addition, Glamour has extended a
full apology to the law firm she addressed.

We value your opinion, and hope you continue to read Glamour?a magazine
that celebrates the beauty of all women.

Sincerely,
Cindi Leive
Editor-In-Chief, Glamour

hothair

Now you know this would be a good time to apply for a job at Glamour make sure to include a pix with a nice fro, wash n go, braid or twist out:grin:

Lovelylocs

Yeah, Good for you. :up:

But, how much do you wanna bet that that was just a blanket reply that they have been sending to all of the concerned readers?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Great job! Can you post your letter here if you haven't already? I think I missed it...and for the benefit of those like me.

kally

I am glad you took action and I am glad a well known mag like Glamour does not agree with her views.

PrincessScorpion

Great job! Can you post your letter here if you haven't already? I think I missed it...and for the benefit of those like me.

Here is a copy of what I emailed them per your request.

To: [email protected]
cc:
bcc:
Subject: You said it

You've received the following feedback:

Message goes here : I am an African American woman that WILL
NOT be purchasing your magazine again since you all seem to
think that natural hair IS unprofessional. The other women of
color that I communicate with on this website(www.lhcf.com)
will not be purchasing the magazine either!

growth2come

Thanks for sharing that....its just scary that in this day and age we would still have people saying such nonsense....I am currently at university and will soon be job hunting so this is just an eye opener. Even though one would think twice about being groomed at the office but what does having an afro have to do with being able to do your job or fitting in the office...:nono:

imstush

But, how much do you wanna bet that that was just a blanket reply that they have been sending to all of the concerned readers?

Glamour has really done badly with this. Unfortunately it is a "blanket reply" because I just read this exact same letter on two other sites that wrote in as well.

NuMe2004

Good for you! I'm so glad you had the nerve to call them out on their crap.

It's cool you got a response, although I don't truly believe that they should place the blame solely on the writer. I worked for a magazine before, and the editors are the ones who are supposed to ensure that everything that is printed in the mag falls in line with the tone/vibe the mag is trying to convey. True, a writer's view may not reflect those of the magazine's (i.e. those of the publisher's & editor's), but the editors should clearly state that by printing a disclaimer ahead of time in order to avoid upsetting their readers.

natstar

Now you know this would be a good time to apply for a job at Glamour make sure to include a pix with a nice fro, wash n go, braid or twist out:grin:

LOL!! I know that's right. I'm glad Glamour responded. I still willread once in a while but that did piss me off big time.

MsAngie

It is wonderful that you took a stand against this type of ignorance. I found it funny that the editor "missed" her comments though. :nono: I really don't believe that one for a minute...sorry Glamour.

GirlywithCurlies

Even still, it demonstrates that was an unacceptable statement and that people hold the magazine accountable. Kudos to the OP.

SoforReal

The is a copy of the reply to my email to them about my dislike to them not liking my natural hair.

Dear Tracie,

Thank you very much for your letter about a Glamour editor's reported
comments
on hairstyles for work. We want to take this opportunity to assure you: Her
remark?that Afros are not office-appropriate?does not represent Glamour's
view.

The junior staffer in question was speaking without her superior's
knowledge
or approval. We at the magazine strongly disagree with her comments; they
go against the spirit of inclusion Glamour stands for. We are proud of our
diverse readership, and strive to ensure that all women can find themselves
represented in the magazine. Obviously, this is a grave matter, and this
staffer has been seriously censured; in addition, Glamour has extended a
full apology to the law firm she addressed.

We value your opinion, and hope you continue to read Glamour?a magazine
that celebrates the beauty of all women.

Sincerely,
Cindi Leive
Editor-In-Chief, Glamour

I'm very proud of you for speaking up!!! :superbanana:

Northern_Belle

I just wanted to say, that a lot of ppl. are getting this story a little twisted.

Glamour never said anything negative about natural hair IN the magazine.
A staffer made negative comments at a presentation at a law firm.
This is why someone could make this statement w/o an editor knowing about it.

As for the blanket response all big conglomerates usu. give a blanket response when they have an issue that is being addressed by many ppl. it wouldn't be efficient to personally respond to each and every letter.

I am an avid reader of Glamour and they are very inclusive. This is a case of one bad apple making a lot of noise.

Crysdon

I just wanted to say, that a lot of ppl. are getting this story a little twisted.

Glamour never said anything negative about natural hair IN the magazine.
A staffer made negative comments at a presentation at a law firm.
This is why someone could make this statement w/o an editor knowing about it.

As for the blanket response all big conglomerates usu. give a blanket response when they have an issue that is being addressed by many ppl. it wouldn't be efficient to personally respond to each and every letter.

I am an avid reader of Glamour and they are very inclusive. This is a case of one bad apple making a lot of noise.

Thank you BB...because this story is getting hella twisted and a lot of blame is being placed on the editor when he/she was not even at the presentation. I send out blanket responses at my job too. Who has the time to personalize hundreds (or thousands) of letters when they could be answered basically the same way?

Lavendar

Excellent OP! Thanks so much for posting their response. Although Glamour staffers may need some additional diversity training, it's really hard to hold the magazine totally accountable for something said in a conference. As far as I am concerned, apology accepted.

Averoigne

I remember an early cover photo of Glamour from the 70's that showed a young woman sporting a beautiful afro. I also remember the beautiful Glamour cover shots that Beverly Johnson shot during a time period when some magazines (ahem...Cosmo) refrained from featuring black women on their covers at all. Glamour has always encouraged a prominent and opinion-driven editorial angle so it doesn't surprise me at all that some junior staffer seized an opportunity to rattle off at the mouth. I don't think it reflects Glamour's positive track record, though.

melodee

Good for you! You made your feelings known--and you represented us well. Thanks.

Unfortunately, there are many who express this sentiment. We as black women don't seemed to be universally accepted when we wear our hair as it grows from our heads.

I get mixed reviews concerning my hair. Many I encounter in school love my hair--however, I am aware that this is school and not a law firm or a white collared place of work.

I still get comments like " is the afro back in style?" Well, bump style--I am just wearing my hair the way it was made. Many think I'm making a statement. My statement is....I want to wake up, wash my hair and let it airdry just like white women without being scrutinized for being militant.

I'm glad you spoke up. I still think that Glamour is pulling a "CYyou know what", but at least there is an apology.