Go Ayurvedic 2010 Challenge!

funkycoils

I must admit, after perusing through Nikole Crowe's blog [www.moptopmaven.blogspot.com] and reading about how the Ayurvedic regimen changed the fullness and overall health of her hair... I am deciding to give it a shot, but not without inviting all of you beauties to partake in this six month challenge!

Rules:

1. I am no longer adding names to the participant list, BUT if you want to join in on the challenge, feel free to share your insights/stories!
2. Post your weekly Ayurvedic regimen [you may alternate between the many options that Nikole highlights in the posts below!]
3. Post what you desire your hair outcome to be at the end of this challenge [thicker, healthier, fuller, stronger roots, etc]
4. This challenge will start on October 1, 2010 and end on April 1, 2011
5. Post progress/questions as you see fit [twice a month]
6. Take a personal before picture and on reveal day [April 1, 2010] post both your before and after pictures!
7. Happy Challenge!

Nikole's Ayurvedic information posts:

One of my favorite and most effective regimen's thus far [and unfortunately most complex] has been my Ayurvedic Regimen. I can honestly say it greatly contributed to the growth, thickness, and overall health of my hair. I maintained a strict Ayurvedic regimen for the first six months of my hair journey, however due to time restraints, I had to simplify things a bit more.

Ayurvedic regimens are effective, and easily customizable to suit your hair needs. Most importantly, the ingredients are inexpensive and all natural. I have decided to break this post into several parts as not to overwhelm/bore anyone out there. In this installment, we will discuss the basic ingredients found in most Ayurvedic Products, as well as their benefits. I will also talk about Shampoo methods and list a few formulations for specialty treatments that have worked wonders for me. Part 2 will focus more on conditioning & moisturizing methods, and I will also list a few more specialty treatment formulations as well!

Here are some herbs/ingredients you should get familiar with:
Bhringraj - Treats hair loss, premature graying, and also acts as a conditioner
Neem - Is an antibacterial powerhouse, it helps correct scalp issues, as well as promote healthy hair growth
Brahmi - Strengthens hair at the roots, helps relieve dandruff, also purported to thicken hair
Amla - Stimulates hair growth, has wonderful conditioning properties, strengthens hair at the roots
Shikakai - Acts as a natural cleanser, and mild conditioner, whilst promoting hair growth
Aritha [Reetha] - Natural cleansing agent
Methi [Fenugreek] - Prevents hair loss, promotes hair growth, helps strengthen hair shaft, light protein
Hibiscus - Conditions hair, promotes healthy hair growth, prevents hair loss, thickens hair

Shampoo:
Some shampoo's contain harsh sulfates and surfactants that strips the hair of it's natural oils, leaving it dry, brittle, and lifeless. If you are building an Ayurvedic regimen, try some of these options instead:

Shampoo Bars: I absolutely love Ayurvedic "Poo Bars". Look for bars that are formulated with vegetable oils/nut oils, and skip the bars that are loaded with surfactants [these are usually added to help with cleansing and lather] often these can leave your hair feeling drier than the Sahara. Shampoo Bars are easy to use, pretty inexpensive compared to a bottle of shampoo, and will leave your hair much softer to boot. Because these bars are au-naturale they have a tendency to produce a very mild-lather, so don't expect all the sudsy goodness like that of your normal shampoo.

I Recommend:
The Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar was my favorite; it's formulated with Bhringraj, Amla, Hibiscus, Aritha, Mango Butter, Coconut Milk, and a slew of other hair-loving ingredients. A second favorite that can be purchased at your local Indian Grocer, is Godrej Shikakai Shampoo Bar; this is more of a basic bar [but stellar none-the-less] with Bhringraj, Amla, & Shikakai.
How Often?
I used Shampoo Bars every-other week
Tips:
Because shampoo bars aren't loaded with additional chemicals, it can be hard to remove product residue/buildup. I recommend soaking wet, dirty hair in a Clarifying ACV mixture [1/2 cup ACV + 1 cup water, spritz hair with mixture, then cover with plastic cap] for about 20 minutes prior to shampooing, as this will gently clarify the hair.

Cleansing Mixtures: I will admit that these were somewhat difficult to use at first, not because they weren't effective, but because I had a hard time wrapping my brain around using powder and water as my shampoo du jour. These leave your hair feeling soft, conditioned, and strong!

I Recommend:
Mix #1 [my favorite]
2 Tablespoons of Amla
2 Tablespoons of Shikakai
1 Tablespoon of Hibiscus

Mix #2
2 Tablespoons Amla
2 Tablespoons Shikakai
1 Tablespoon Neem Powder

For each formulation, mix with enough water to make a thick paste. Apply evenly on wet, freshly pre-conditioned hair [see the pre-shampoo treatment below], and massage gently massage mixture on to scalp. Allow to sit on hair for about 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with cool water. Follow up with a basic light ACV rinse to remove any additional oils/residue left behind. [1/2 cup of ACV + 2 cups water]
How Often:
2x monthly. I would alternate between these cleansing mixtures and the Shampoo Bars.

Tips:
For maximum softness, I recommend doing Pre-Shampoo treatments before applying any type cleansing mixture [because the Shikaki has a tendency to be a tad bit drying]. Simply oil your hair thoroughly with Coconut Oil, cover with a plastic cap, and allow to sit for about an hour [or more if possible], then rinse w/lukewarm water.

Participants:
JSWFASHION
FUNKYCOILS
DANCINSTALLION
KRYSTLE~HIME
THERESAMONET
SWEETNOVEMBER
KNAUGHTYKURLS
SIMJAM
DRMUFFIN
CHEBABY
IJANEI
SUNBUBBLES
SHAY72
GADGETDIVA
FLOWINLOCKS
GENNATAY

Continued in below post....

Last edited:

funkycoils

Specialty Treatments:

Neem Oil + Tea Tree Treatment: Perfect for those with psoriasis, and issues with dandruff. Neem Oil is packed full of antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, therefore making it the perfect herbal solution for curing scalp ailments. I am warning you all now; this stuff has a stench that is out-of-this-world. However, it works :)
Try It:
In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup of Neem Oil with 6 drops of Tea Tree Oil. Pour oil mixture over head, massage into scalp, and cover for about an hour. - Use this treatment on dry, unwashed hair.

Coconut Milk Protein Treatment: This is an easy, inexpensive way to do an all natural protein treatment at home. The nutrients in Coconut Milk encourages healthy hair growth, and also helps strengthen hair.
Try It:
In a large bowl, mix one can of Coconut Milk, 4 tbsp of honey and 4 tbsp of Olive Oil. Carefully pour mixture over head, and cover for about 30 minutes. - Use this treatment on dry, unwashed hair.

Hibiscus Rinse: Doing a final rinse with Hibiscus Petal Powder leaves your hair feeling soft and conditioned [from the mucilage], it also makes detangling woes, and excess hair loss a thing of the past.
Try It:
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then remove from heat. Add 4 tablespoons Hibiscus petals and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain liquid through sieve, or cheesecloth and discard petals. Pour mixture over your head after rinsing out conditioner. Massage thoroughly, then rinse with cool water after about 5 minutes.

Henna Treatment: Henna can be used for correcting porosity issues, as a protein treatment, in some cases to loosen your curl pattern. Click here for a tutorial on how to use Henna.

A few notes before we get started:
Most if not ALL of these herbs can be purchased at Indian grocery stores. If you do not have an Indian grocery store in your area, you can always find these ingredients online. For your convenience, I have linked each ingredient to it's online source in the event you have a hard time finding it on ground.

Before you apply any of these Ayurvedic conditioners, it is recommended that you oil your hair thoroughly beforehand. I recommend Coconut Oil, as it is the easiest to obtain, inexpensive, and very effective.

Some of you may find difficulty completely rinsing out mixtures that call for powdered herbs. I have found that soaking your hair in a tub filled with water is the easiest method to remove excess residue.

A little bit about each ingredient in these featured formulations:

Hibiscus Petal Powder - Conditions hair, promotes healthy hair growth, prevents hair loss, thickens hair
Marshmallow Root Powder - Nourishes hair follicles and scalp, conditioning properties, imparts shine
Amla Powder - Stimulates hair growth, has wonderful conditioning properties, strengthens hair at the roots
Kalpi Tone - Promotes hair growth, prevents pre mature balding, light conditioning properties, imparts shine
Fenugreek Seed Powder - Prevents hair loss, promotes hair growth, helps strengthen hair shaft, light protein Brahmi Powder - Strengthens hair at the roots, helps relieve dandruff, also purported to thicken hair
Bhringraj Powder - Promotes hair growth, prevents pre mature balding, light conditioning properties
Aloe Vera Gel - Promotes hair growth, balance PH level, heal scalp, imparts sheen, light conditioning properties, nourishes hair follicles, and scalp
Orange Peel - Imparts incredible shine, light conditioning properties
Stinging Nettle - Nourishes hair and scalp, imparts shine, light conditioning properties

Conditioner Mix 1
4 tbs Hibiscus Petal Powder
4 tbs Marshmallow Root Powder
3 tbsp Amla Powder
In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients together with enough spring water to make a thick paste. Gently section your hair, and use an applicator brush to generously apply the mixture starting at the scalp, and working your way down the hair shaft. Cover with a plastic cap and allow mixture to sit on head for about 45minutes-hour.
How Often?
Once Weekly

Conditioner Mix 2
4 tbs Hibiscus Petal Powder
3 tbs Kalpi Tone
1 tbs Fenugreek Seed Powder [Methi]
In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients together with enough spring water to make a thick paste. Gently section your hair, and use an applicator brush to generously apply the mixture starting at the scalp, and working your way down the hair shaft. Cover with a plastic cap and allow mixture to sit on head for about 45minutes-hour.
How Often?
Once Weekly

For those of you that aren't too keen on conditioning your hair w/o a creamy base, I have a few tried and true recipes utilizing conditioner as a base.

Creamy Conditioning Mix 1
1/4 cup VO5 Moisture Milks; Strawberries & Creme Conditioner
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
2 tbs Hibiscus Petal Powder
2 tbs Brahmi Powder
2 tbs Bhringraj Powder
In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients together and use immediately. Gently section your hair, and use an applicator brush to generously apply the mixture starting at the scalp, and working your way down the hair shaft. Cover with a plastic cap and allow mixture to sit on head for about 45minutes-hour.
How Often?
Once Weekly

Deep Conditioning Mix
1/4 cup Aveda Damage Remedy Conditioner
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
2 tbs Hibiscus Petal Powder
2 tbs Brahmi Powder
2 tbs Bhringraj Powder
1 tbs Fenugreek Seed Powder [Methi]
In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients together and use immediately. Gently section your hair, and use an applicator brush to generously apply the mixture starting at the scalp, and working your way down the hair shaft. Cover with a plastic cap and allow mixture to sit on head for about 45minutes-hour.
How Often?
Once Weekly

Keeping your hair thoroughly moisturized should be part of everyone's healthy hair care regimen. The beauty of mixing your own products, is that you can swap out herbs to better suit your needs. Here are a few low-cost, highly effective moisturizing spritz's.

Herbal Moisturizing Spritz 1
1/3 cup Aloe Vera Gel
2 tbsp Hibiscus Petal Powder
2 tbsp Marshmallow Root
1 1/4 cups Distilled Water
Bring distilled water to a boil, then let cool slightly. Add Hibiscus Petal Powder and Marshmallow root to water, and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through cheesecloth, and add Aloe Vera Gel to liquid. Pour mixture in a spray bottle, and store in refrigerator for up to one week.
How Often?
As needed

Herbal Moisturizing Spritz 2
1/3 cup Aloe Vera Gel
2 tbsp Hibiscus Petal Powder
2 tbsp Orange Peel
1 tbsp Stinging Nettle
1 1/4 cups Distilled Water
Bring distilled water to a boil, then let cool slightly. Add Hibiscus Petal Powder, Orange Peel Powder, and Stinging Nettle to water, and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through cheesecloth, and add Aloe Vera Gel to liquid. Pour mixture in a spray bottle, and store in refrigerator for up to one week.
How Often?
As Needed

Specialty Treatments
Herbal Hair Cream - Perfect for those looking for a nice creamy, all natural styler that offers a bit of hold. The Brahmi and Amla offer conditioning properties whilst promoting hair growth, and strengthening hair at the roots. The Shealoe leaves hair soft, smooth, manageable and shiny!
Try It:
1oz Shealoe Butter
3 tbs Brahmi Oil
3 tbs Amla Oil
Mix all ingredients well, add to sterile jar; store in cool area.

MTM's Homemade Vatika Oil - This was definitely one of my favorite herbal oils. This oil is formulated with herbs that nourish and heal the scalp, promotes hair growth, imparts shine, softness, and manageability.
Try It:
2 Cups Coconut Oil
1 tbsp Stinging Nettles
1 tbsp Amla Powder
1 tbs Bhringraj Powder
1 tbsp Brahmi Powder
1 tbsp Orange Peel Powder
1 tbsp Neem Powder
1 tbsp Henna Leaf Powder
Add ingredients to a crock pot set on the lowest setting; leave overnight. Strain herbal oil several times through a cheesecloth, and add to squeeze bottle. To make even a stronger herbal infusion, take your herbal oil, and add a fresh batch of herbs [in the same quantities listed] and place the mixture back in the crock pot [set on low] for another 24 hours. Strain mixture again, and bottle.

dancinstallion

Wow I just posted and bumped the threads about cassia and the ayurvedic powders. I am definately going to do this. I have been itching to jump on this bandwagaon. This will be my last bandwagon and hopefully a staple.

Oh yea doesn't kalpi tone have alot of the powders mixed in it so would it be neccessary to mix any other powder with it?

funkycoils

Apparently, it has Amla, Neem, aritha, shikakai etc. in it.. [read this from another LHCF post]. It has a lot of powders in it, I don't know if it is the right combination for my hair.. I'm doing trial and error, although, I've never tried Kalpi tone. This is one thing that I hope will strengthen and thicken my hair!

I did have some problems with the rinse out...I had these whitish clumps all up in my hair! I'm trying to figure out how to rid that problem.

dancinstallion

Funkycoils Have you started using the powders already. Did you take before pictures? I still have to get mine which will probably be tomorrow.

funkycoils

I started using the powders last week, this week will be the second time! Yes, I have before pictures! Were you able to get your powders??

Krystle~Hime

I'm totally In !!
but i don't want to switch to an ayurvedic shampoo. I already like and feel good with african shampoos as rhassoul powder and african black soap. and I've already tried shikakai powder and have not liked it.

my regimen as it will be winter is
every two weeks
Shampoo / and DC with cassia/amla/brahmi mixed with a marshmallow roots/hibiscus flowers infusion.

I will also spritz moisturize witih an herbal infusion(i'm waiting for pay day for buy everything(all the herbs roots and cassia)

what's my goal with this challenge?
repair my fine hair and my ends
make my hair totally more fuller
and retaining all my winter growth(which I can't usually because my hair is too much fragile and fine for)

dancinstallion

yes I was able to get the powders. I got kalpi tone, brahmi, alma, shikakai. I will mix in about 1 teasp of those with the kalpi tone. I was looking for Hibiscus Petal Powder but couldn't find any. I also got the vatika oil, and the Bhringraj Powder oil. I will apply the oils daily and shampoo and dc with the powders once a week.

My goals are to get even thicker hair than I already have and stong hair that doesn't break off. So I can maintain length and eventually to have waistlength hair.

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

dancinstallion, i've just typed on Google and find a lot sellers
check it out here

SO !!! we are officially 4 !!!! lol
what about JSWFASHION ??
tomorrow i'm started with my wash and deep treatments !! so in a hurry to see cassia first results !!!

Theresamonet

I'm in!

The Ayurvedic bandwagon was in it's prime when I first joined. I did it for a while then stopped because it can be tedious and time consuming. But I want to give it another shot.

I will post a starting pic tomorrow and try to come up with a regimen that I feel I can work with.

I will be doing my first henna treatment sometime next week.

I'm in. I use a brahmi, maka, fenugreek rinse twice a week. I then cowash and dc under the steamer. I love Ayurveda and I've incorporated it into all areas of my health and beauty routine. Multani mati powder has done what countless medication couldn't. It cleared my acne prone face.

FebeeSigns

I'm in! =)

I already use Chagrin Valley's Ayurvedic shampoo bar and I use Henna once monthly. Those are the only ayurvedic things I have :(

I will need a bit of time to get those herbs!

SimJam

I currently use amla oil and powder
brahmi powder
shikakai powder
aritha powder

I also use stinging nettle and marshmallow oil in my GA (I steep the herbs in warm jojoba oil)
also have fenugreek at home (for cooking) tried it once in my hair when I was relaxed
and Ive always wanted to add hibiscus and rose petals to my reggie

sooooooooooooo I guess Im in

I order my hesh powders from TheIndianFoodStore.com - Indian Food, British Food, Nestle Cerelac, and more!

but if there is somewhere that i can get everythign (they dont have nettle or marmallow powders) id luv to know :)

SimJam

OK mountainroseherbs has just abt everything apart from the hesh powders YaY
and also cute containers for everything

funkycoils

YAY! We are 8 beautiful women strong! I am currently in missouri for a wedding and always find it hard to pack good natural hair products in less than 3 oz bottles... So I will do another DC as soon as I get back home!

Don't forget to take your before pictures!
:)

drmuffin

Alright I'm totally in...:grin:

I've been doing ayurvedic powder mixes since August, namely shikakai, amla, and brahmi. What a coincidence that I decided to mix up the powders a little bit! Instead of using shikakai powder, I'm opting to use the Godrej shikakai bar. I like to limit my mixes to 3 powders, as not to cancel any of the others out, so I decided to order some hibiscus to mix with my amla and brahmi. I'll let you guys know how it goes on next wash day! (Acutally today is my wash day for the week, but I'll be using my old mix, cuz I don't have the bar or hibiscus yet...)

SimJam

I just realized that my mom has tons of hibiscus plants at home ( thinking abt it now, there are a couple at my office too)

hmmmmmm .... i cud just dry some and make a tea rinse for my hair

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Awww man I can't join ya'll
I wish i could but im putting in my weave tomorrow.
Good luck you guys.
I will miss my cv soap and my amla oil while im weaved up:cry:

Krystle~Hime

I'm in! =)

I already use Chagrin Valley's Ayurvedic shampoo bar and I use Henna once monthly. Those are the only ayurvedic things I have :(

I will need a bit of time to get those herbs!
i hope you will get some more !!!
or also bar shampoo and henna treatment can also be a VERY EFFECTIVE SIMPLE regimen.

Krystle~Hime

I currently use amla oil and powder
brahmi powder
shikakai powder
aritha powder

I also use stinging nettle and marshmallow oil in my GA (I steep the herbs in warm jojoba oil)
also have fenugreek at home (for cooking) tried it once in my hair when I was relaxed
and Ive always wanted to add hibiscus and rose petals to my reggie

sooooooooooooo I guess Im in

I order my hesh powders from TheIndianFoodStore.com - Indian Food, British Food, Nestle Cerelac, and more!

but if there is somewhere that i can get everythign (they dont have nettle or marmallow powders) id luv to know :)

do you pass it through a sieve after steepin'em ?

Alright I'm totally in...:grin:

I've been doing ayurvedic powder mixes since August, namely shikakai, amla, and brahmi. What a coincidence that I decided to mix up the powders a little bit! Instead of using shikakai powder, I'm opting to use the Godrej shikakai bar. I like to limit my mixes to 3 powders, as not to cancel any of the others out, so I decided to order some hibiscus to mix with my amla and brahmi. I'll let you guys know how it goes on next wash day! (Acutally today is my wash day for the week, but I'll be using my old mix, cuz I don't have the bar or hibiscus yet...)

that's a great idea, and also that I always do, whatever if I do a hot oil treatement, a deepcondioning or any deep treatment. no more than 3.

dancinstallion

I'm in!

The Ayurvedic bandwagon was in it's prime when I first joined. I did it for a while then stopped because it can be tedious and time consuming. But I want to give it another shot.

I will post a starting pic tomorrow and try to come up with a regimen that I feel I can work with.

I will be doing my first henna treatment sometime next week.

You should use this Godrej nupur Mehendi for your for henna treatment. It has all the good ayurveda powders in it already. It has good reviews on here. I bought some today so I will be using this once a month. and the other powders once a week.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread278499-5.html

chebaby

hi i would like to join can you add me please?
i already have a chagrin vally herb shampoo bar, i will use that to shampoo once a week.
i have not purchased my powders yet, will do so this weekend, but i will be using amla powder, cassia powder, shikakai powder and i think that may be all. i will be making paste with them. i also plan on purchasing some ayurvedic oils to pre poo with.

chebaby

i will also use the coconut milk, evoo, honey mixture as a pre poo. i have some vatika oil but ive had it for 2yrs and dont know if i should use it.

chebaby

from the indianfoodstore i just purchased shikakai bar, shikakai, amla and brahmi powders, jamila henna, and vatika oil.
i wanted hibiscus powder but i will get that next time. im hoping the powders will make my hair stronger.

dancinstallion

i will also use the coconut milk, evoo, honey mixture as a pre poo. i have some vatika oil but ive had it for 2yrs and dont know if i should use it.

You should still be able to use the vatika oil.

from the indianfoodstore i just purchased shikakai bar, shikakai, amla and brahmi powders, jamila henna, and vatika oil.
i wanted hibiscus powder but i will get that next time. im hoping the powders will make my hair stronger.
How much was the hibiscus powder? I wanted some but didnt want to buy online.
the powders should make your hair stronger, I am hoping for the same thing so they better work.
How often are you going to henna? are you going to mix the powdersin with the henna?

drmuffin

to the 8 challengers, when is your wash day? just for curiosity :) maybe it's the same usual day, sunday?

Yeah mine is always the same day of the week, usually saturdays. But recently it's been fridays. It's ususally one of those two days when I have the most free time!