god or God..the many names of our Lord

Does it matter? God or god?

• Yes..Capitalizng God's name is a sign of respect,reverence and love

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No..it does not matter to God..He knows my heart & caps measure grammar..& nothing else

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

kayte

Our Lord 's name is capitalized in the bible.
He is also referrred to Jehovah Jireh..EL Shaddai...G_d
Yeshua...Jehovah...Messiah Master Rabbi Teacher
Many other names...

Does it matter if God is spelled god.....
or jehovah.....or messiah...
gods I knew to be idols..which I posted in different thread

so...is it still HIS name

I get confused...in reverence to Him..I always thought
He is great and should recognized in the
spelling that way as such ....obviously others don't

wondering are both ..our Lord?
Do you have a personal name...I call Him Abba
I know a few posters refer to Him as Daddy
wondering if others know names and the meanings
for example ...Like Jehovah-Jireh= He provides

Last edited:

kayte

Added a poll!
Also while I was typing editing the poll
listening to Family Feud in the background the question was

Give me...another name for Dad.....

ETA
the last question on Family Feud.I missed..but the answer was
Father..no not the same question :)

Last edited:

blvilla23

What I have come to learn is that Lord and God are titles and not names. I use the name of the heavenly father Yahweh and his son Yahshua the Messiah.

Dark&Lovley

I agree Lord is a Title

It's like you can come into a room filled with women and say woman turn around everybody would turn around because they don't know which one or whom you are talking about. But if you specifically address them by name like Dark & Lovely turn around she would just turn around.

Romans. 10:13
For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

Ezeikel 39:6
6 “‘And I will send fire upon Ma´gog and upon those who are inhabiting the islands in security; and people will have to know that I am Jehovah.

Psalms 83;18
18 That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

New world translation version

Isa 12:4
And in that day YOU will certainly say: “Give thanks to Jehovah, YOU people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.

or​
King James version

And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.

plainj

Since I'm somewhat new in my walk, I refer to Him in His common name/names as God, Jesus, Christ, Lord, Father, and any combination thereof. I always capitalize His name even when I feel too lazy to do so. Modern technology with the shortcut texting words can sure make you lazy. But no matter what I always show Him reverence by capitalizing His name and writing it out fully i.e I don't cross Christ off with an X in Christmas. I think it does matter how we spell His name. I think we should reverence Him in everything we do. He is God. He is our creator. He is sovereign. He's too much more than words could ever describe.

discobiscuits

seriously. even bible scholars regardless of denomination tend to agree that the "real" name for God has been "lost" because (different reasons some of which are) only the priest had permission to speak or write it, His Name is considered Holy so to say it or write it by mere humans was blasphemy. Some ppl here type God as G_d or some variation b/c that is how they were taught. Jehova is not the exact word for His name either. In fact (I heard this somewhere so I'm not sure where to get it in writing) but since His real name is not known, and the name used in the bible can be translated Jehova and other variations, it can even be translated down to Allah. Again, I heard that somewhere if I find the minister who said that and can quote it I will.

*note I'm just sharing info, I am not saying Allah & Jehova & Yahweh & God & Jesus & Yeshua etc, etc are the same name/word/person/entity (or J_h_ova, Ywh, G_d).

what difference does it make? he is my father, my lord, my savior (some would correct me to: Father, Lord, Savior). who cares if it is capitalized or not?

I try to capitalize because there IS a difference between God (The One and Only) and a god (some random nobody w/ no power of resurrection etc.).

dreamlovermd

There is a BIG difference between God and god. god is an idol and God is the creator of heaven and earth. Why would anyone want to bring the Almighty to the same level of god. The word Lord God in the bible is capitalized because it's to distinguish between the Almighty who created everything and idols, objects that are being worship which has NO significant to the One in charge. When you are writing about God, you write his name correct to show you acknowledge that he is above anything and anyone. It a sign of respect.

OhmyKimB

To me saying god instead of God is like calling God a type of baal. (<--example of one pagan god) I learned so much about all these other gods be worshipped instead of God alone. But none of them have ever proved themselves to be true, except our one true Lord. It's not God being spoke of if it's lowercase, it's something else your are giving that name to. His name may have been lost over time but the capitlizlation is another of giving Him that respect again.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

HaShem

"The Name"

"Ad-nai" The L-rd, G-d

"" YHWH but Jews do not use this.

vowels removed out of respect for the pronunciation of His Name in order to not take it in vain. Incidentally, it's Jewish tradition to not write the His Name on paper so as not to throw it away. Many little ways to respect G-d's name in Judaism.

Wanna hear something interesting? Mountains are revered as places where G-d speaks in traditional Native American culture. In Cherokee, Elohay is used for a mountain where G-d has spoken to the people. Yehowah is the name used to Yahweh and all the vowels are pronounced. It's said that Hebrew is the oldest language on earth and was the original of Adam and Eve in talmudic writings. Indian culture stems back from the Great Flood and there are pictographs and histories passed down reflecting this history of our people. It's very old. I just found it interesting that we call Him Yehowah which coincides with the Hebrew, another of my people lol.

Last edited:

BelindaLuz

What I have come to learn is that Lord and God are titles and not names. I use the name of the heavenly father Yahweh and his son Yahshua the Messiah.

This is what I say. I pray to Yah through his son Yahshua. I do not pray to Yahshua now as opposed to how I used to pray.

Jesus I need your help to _____...

Now it is as Yahshua prayed

Our father who is in heaven, set apart is your name...

Good post.

kayte

I was curious as I noted.... not all Christians capitalize
For myself... the bible is my authority..as the Word of God
and in the bible it is written GOD is Omnipotent
is Alpha and Omega...
whereas gods in the bible are referenced as idols...
that would attempt to usurp the place of God

set apart is your name...
That's right....The Lord's Prayer
Hallowed be Thy name

Last edited:

kayte

what difference does it make? he is my father, my lord, my savior (some would correct me to: Father, Lord, Savior). who cares if it is capitalized or not?

I try to capitalize because there IS a difference between God (The One and Only) and a god (some random nobody w/ no power of resurrection etc.).

Hey 1star...I'm a little confused...these two sentence-passages seem a contradiction
just trying to understand your view :)

are you sayIng there is no difference to God
but you try to cap anyway because there is a difference?

Ramya

I call Him 'Father' when referring to Him because when He came to me, that's who He told me He was. But when speaking to others or typing I say God or 'My Father/Our Father'. I capitalize out of reverence.

discobiscuits

Hey 1star...I'm a little confused...these two sentence-passages seem a contradiction

Why is it that when you quote you never quote with the OP's name? Sorry, OT but I've always wondered about that.

I try to capitalize so as not to offend others and to make it clear to readers of whom I am speaking. In the other comment, I was making a statement that to me there is a difference in the real God not some god but not because of capitalization. Sorry for the confusion.

It matters not that we puny, insignificant humans see it as a "sign of respect, love", adoration, whatever. It is none of those things. God knows when we are talking about him or to him regardless of capitalization. He looks at the intent of the heart not one's grammar skills.

It is not a sign of disrespect in God's eyes that we don't capitalize, it is so in man's eyes. I don't care what man thinks. This topic, the capitalization of the WORD g/God is just one of the types of categorization that humans do that satan uses to divide us and cause confusion and discord. (Sorry, Satan is a proper noun and I need to capitalize). Humans categorize sin; e.g. fornication is not as bad as adultery, stealing to feed a family is not as bad as stealing to support a drug habit. Both examples are equal in God's eyes. To Him all sin is unrighteousness regardless of the motivation.

To us if someone does not capitalize the WORD god (because God is not His Name), that person is 'oh gosh, they don't respect God' when in reality, that person may be living an upright life before god and the person all bent out of shape b/c s/he did not type (since we can't verbally capitalize it is for print) a big G but a little g may be living a life of sin before that same GOD, G_d, or whatever way one is supposed to type it to show their alleged respect and love for their Lord.

Does the same mean that since I am a Christian that I must capitalize christian because it contains the NAME Christ? Will it diminish the power of Jesus if I don't capitalize? Will He say I'm disrespecting Him or not loving Him if I don't capitalize? I think not.

What if I'm discussing Allah? Am I a bad or wrong c/Christian because I capitalized allah AND God? Am I putting allah on equal ground with God/Jehovha/Y_wh? God is a proper noun. Satan is a proper noun. Allah is a proper noun. Zeus is a proper noun. Why? Because in grammar those WORDS are also considered names and names get capitalized. A human cannot give or take power away from God just because they do not capitalize. It is a grammar rule that when discussing God in a written format the capital letter is used to designate and differentiate between the god of the Jews/Christians and that of other religions.

This is all so silly. I'm only offending other humans when I don't capitalize, not God.

This is a disputable matter refer to Romans 14.

Last edited:

kayte

I try to capitalize so as not to offend others and to make it clear to readers of whom I am speaking. In the other comment, I was making a statement that to me there is a difference in the real God not some god but not because of capitalization. Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for the clarification~

Last edited:

Irresistible

HaShem

"The Name"

"Ad-nai" The L-rd, G-d

vowels removed out of respect for the pronunciation of His Name in order to not take it in vain. Incidentally, it's Jewish tradition to not write the His Name on paper so as not to throw it away. Many little ways to respect G-d's name in Judaism.

Wanna hear something interesting? Mountains are revered as places where G-d speaks in traditional Native American culture. In Cherokee, Elohay is used for a mountain where G-d has spoken to the people. Yehowah is the name used to Yahweh and all the vowels are pronounced. It's said that Hebrew is the oldest language on earth and was the original of Adam and Eve in talmudic writings. Indian culture stems back from the Great Flood and there are pictographs and histories passed down reflecting this history of our people. It's very old. I just found it interesting that we call Him Yehowah which coincides with the Hebrew, another of my people lol.
its good to finally know the answer as to why people call him G-d

I never knew

divya

I capitalize for the reason below...

I try to capitalize because there IS a difference between God (The One and Only) and a god (some random nobody w/ no power of resurrection etc.). [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]

Well said. :yep:

divya

HaShem

"The Name"

"Ad-nai" The L-rd, G-d

What a testimony to who God is! Little does much of the "Western world" know about how God speaks and continues to speak to traditional cultures.

discobiscuits

Indian culture stems back from the Great Flood and there are pictographs and histories passed down reflecting this history of our people. It's very old. I just found it interesting that we call Him Yehowah which coincides with the Hebrew, another of my people lol.
About two weeks ago, I was explaining something very similar to this to a man who wants to get to know me but does not know Jesus.

He's black and claims that he does not believe the bible or anything in it but he does believe that there is a god. He tried the 'how can you believe in a white god' crap that some blacks use to defend their non-belief. He asked me or maybe challenged is a better word that had I been born in Africa I would not believe so. I told him that no less than 50% of my blood line is Native American (Oklahoma Choctaw to be precise) and I hit him with info similar to what you posted and he was blown. It made him re-think his position and actually consider attending church and learning more.

Irresistible

About two weeks ago, I was explaining something very similar to this to a man who wants to get to know me but does not know Jesus.

He's black and claims that he does not believe the bible or anything in it but he does believe that there is a god. He tried the 'how can you believe in a white god' crap that some blacks use to defend their non-belief. He asked me or maybe challenged is a better word that had I been born in Africa I would not believe so. I told him that no less than 50% of my blood line is Native American (Oklahoma Choctaw to be precise) and I hit him with info similar to what you posted and he was blown. It made him re-think his position and actually consider attending church and learning more.

Hey cousin! LOL

Same bloodline, same place

TrustMeLove

I capitalize God and not use god, because those are two different things. God is the one true God, the one who made everything. god is a perpetrator...a fake....an idol.

I have friends of different religions and they are always talking about their god. I talk about God. See...one has power and the other doesn't. You can tell this by the way I wrote it...one is all powerful..and the other is a fraud.

Last edited:

discobiscuits

The word g-o-d is not a name and when it is used as a proper noun it is capitalized. Capitalization is a characteristic of Romance languages and not in the original biblical text. Capitalization is a grammar tool and a grammar rule but I don't think it is God's rule.

There are no capital letters in Hebrew.

God knows who He is and when we are talking about Him or to Him. God is the same God in all of the Abrahamic faiths (whether they believe in Jesus or not). God is the one God above all gods.

As I'm typing this I guess it would be the proper thing to do to capitalize the word god when referring to my God