God.......?

dinanicole

Do you ever feel kind of at a stand still? My relationship with God I feel is cool but I dont feel the passion I want to feel. Am I supposed to feel passion? Im a little confused. I was getting ready for bed and I felt like "hmm i should pray before I go to bed" .. so i got on my knees .. and said thank you God for my life.
and thats it.
I don't know what to say. I know logically that I am blessed but I feel a disconnect I guess is the best way to describe it. I wanna feel like me and God are tight you know.
In a way how can I 'spice' up that relationship? Lol.

What do I say.. like how do I pray you know?

Blessed626

I have felt that way more times than I can count. However, the main thing to know and remember is that our emotions are not our reality. You have to stand on what you know and not what you feel. God is ALWAYS going to be there and He is ALWAYS going to love you. Oftentimes, it's when we feel most alone that God is closest. He is working on your behalf and He wants you to believe that.

One way to really "spice" up your relationship with Him is to be completely honest with Him and pour your heart out to Him (after all He already knows everything about you). Sometimes we don't have a lot to say, and that's fine. I think it's beautiful what you prayed and I'm sure it came from your heart (it reminded me of Smokie Norful's song "Dear God"). Let Him know that you want to be closer to Him and you want to be passionate about Him. Let Him know that sometimes you feel alone, and you want to be able to get past the feelings. Let Him know whatever is in your heart, and watch how much closer you will feel to Him! He wants you to do that! You're His daughter and He wants you to confide in Him.

As I said before, we all have had those feelings. But those feelings don't change who He is to us. I pray that God gives you the desires of your heart as you seek to be closer to him! :)

empressaja

OP, Thank you so much for posting this I was just sitting at my desk at work wondering why it ( the relationship) feels so dry and I just said to myself or maybe it was the HS. "Just because it feels dry doesn't mean it is" I'm tearing up right now.
B626 you don't know how much your post helped me especially when you said that,"it's when we feel most alone that God is closest" that was so encouraging.
Thank you both I will be praying for you, God bless you both !!!!

hair_rehab

I think that was great advice, I feel that way sometimes too. I just wanted to also add that you must make sure that you are open and honest with God at all times. Sometimes we have known or unknown unconfessed sins in our lives that make us distance from Him, and all he wants is for you to humble yourself and confess them to him. It might be someone that you haven't forgiven or you might be experiencing fear or worry about something. But repentance draws us closer to Him. Just ask the Holy Spirit to reveal anything that you need repent for. HTH.

Raspberry

I feel you OP, I'm in the process of getting the passion back in my relationship with God. One thing that really helps is offering up the sacrifice of praise. A sacrifice is something that takes effort to give.

Praise Him out loud.. sing a new song

Speak the word out loud and it stirs your heart and renews your mind.

Recount all of His blessings and benefits, Joyce Meyer once said that she keeps a journal where she writes down every time God blesses her, shows up in power, etc.

Read the Psalms.. so many times David was depressed or distraught but praised and remembered God's previous blessings and was encouraged and strengthened.

joytimes10

You know, even when I don't "feel" that passion for God and all that He is, I still press in. It's like any relationship. Sometimes you don't feel particularly close to that person but if you value the relationship you make the effort to reconnect.

I know it's a lot more difficult because we are interacting with God through faith and no really physical evidence of Him. But that's when I really go to His word to have the HS help me communicate with the Father. Remember, His Word is truth. It's alive and it's His essence.

And prayer is our conversation with God so even when i don't know what to say, sometimes I just listen, or chat about my day and any concerns I have, and then the HS wells up in me and soon, I'm in that Holy place where His pressence becomes so real.

But, I have to press in.

Don't give up. The cares of this life and the worries of the day cloud what really matters, our eternal relationship with God. We just have to be determined enough to set it all aside and abandon ourselves to HIM!

Last edited:

loolalooh

You know, even when I don't "feel" that passion for God and all that He is, I still press in. It's like any relationship. Sometimes you don't feel particularly close to that person but if you value the relationship you make the effort to reconnect.

I know it's a lot more difficult because we are interacting with God through faith and no really physical evidence of Him. But that's when I really go to His word to have the HS help me communicate with the Father. Remember, His Word is truth. It's alive and it's His essence.

And prayer is our conversation with God so even when i don't know what to say, sometimes I just listen, or chat about my day and any concerns I have, and then the HS wells up in me and soon, I'm in that Holy place where His pressence becomes so real.

But, I have to press in.

Don't give up. The cares of this life and the worries of the day cloud what really matters, our eternal relationship with God. We just have to be determined enough to set it all aside and abandon ourselves to HIM!

Cosign with all the advice that has been given especially the bolded. :grinwink:

dinanicole

Thank You so much friends!!! My sisters in Christ.!!! All the love you've shown and the understanding of my feelings have reminded me of my blessings. Again today I wake up and there is an extra $300 in my bank account that the school credited to me !!! GOD IS GOOD!
I am blessed and I am grateful. You guys are right ..like any relationship its gonna have its ups and downs but God is my ride or die... literally (Christ).. I feel happy. I am happy .. I love you guys.
I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I'm writing so much now.. lol.. Blessings to you my friends.

mrselle

I have felt that way more times than I can count. However, the main thing to know and remember is that our emotions are not our reality. You have to stand on what you know and not what you feel. God is ALWAYS going to be there and He is ALWAYS going to love you. Oftentimes, it's when we feel most alone that God is closest. He is working on your behalf and He wants you to believe that.

I couldn’t have said this better myself. There have been times when I felt high on God. I KNEW HE was near, I could feel His presence, I could hear His voice as though He were standing right next to me, I could hear Him talking to me in my sleep, I could see His bright light as I would drift off to sleep. And then there have been times when I felt absolutely nothing. We walk by faith, not by sight. You have to know that you know that you know that God is with you. What you are experiencing is nothing more than a slick method the devil uses to try to convince you that (1) you aren’t really saved (2) God isn’t real and (3) there’s no need to pray. Your faith is strengthened when you keep praying during these trying times. Keep pressing forward and that feeling will return to you.

ToyToy

I have felt this way many times over. The book that helped me was "Secrets of the Secret Place" by Bob Sorge. It was a real eye opener. One thing you always have to remember is that God does not operate on emotions. If He did, His love toward us would not be steadfast. We won't always feel the "rush" or "passion" in our walk with Him. Oftentimes, we may not even feel that He hears us, but that doesn't mean it's true.
Always remind yourself of God's love. He loves you so much, He sent His only son to die for you so you can be reconciled unto Him. Even if you don't think (or feel) that your prayers are working, the truth is that they are. As someone else has already mentioned, the devil will do anything and everything to keep us from having a relationship with God. He will feed you with suggestions such as, "Do you really think God will listen to you?" or "Your 'problem' is not important enough to God. Come back when you're dealing with real issues". You must always combat these suggestions with God's Word.
And trust me, when you do feel God's presence, it is *always* worth the wait. Don't forget that in waiting, God is molding you. Just don't give up :).

loolalooh

Thank You so much friends!!! My sisters in Christ.!!! All the love you've shown and the understanding of my feelings have reminded me of my blessings. Again today I wake up and there is an extra $300 in my bank account that the school credited to me !!! GOD IS GOOD!
I am blessed and I am grateful. You guys are right ..like any relationship its gonna have its ups and downs but God is my ride or die... literally (Christ).. I feel happy. I am happy .. I love you guys.
I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I'm writing so much now.. lol.. Blessings to you my friends.

Amazing how God works!

Ije4eva

Awww I'm so happy to hear that. Its funny that happened because I was going to write that during those period where my relationship with Him seems kinda dry and I realize it, He always seems to have some cute little surprise lurking in the corner to let me know He's still in this. He's absolutely wonderful and so so committed to you, so don't feel bad when you're "not feeling it" so to speak. Like another poster said, bare your heart to Him, or just simply go through the motions of life with Him if need be, no matter what you're walking with Him and He's with you.

Hair2Here

Do you ever feel kind of at a stand still? My relationship with God I feel is cool but I dont feel the passion I want to feel. Am I supposed to feel passion? Im a little confused. I was getting ready for bed and I felt like "hmm i should pray before I go to bed" .. so i got on my knees .. and said thank you God for my life.
and thats it.
I don't know what to say. I know logically that I am blessed but I feel a disconnect I guess is the best way to describe it. I wanna feel like me and God are tight you know.
In a way how can I 'spice' up that relationship? Lol.

What do I say.. like how do I pray you know?

As many of the ladies have stated we have to allow our faith and God's love for us stay strong within us. The only time we feel a disconnect is when we do not connect with Him. Either by faithfully reading his Word, praising him through Song or through conversation. If we are not consistent with these things, we will feel a disconnect. But God said He will never leave us nor forsake us. So, despite of disconnect, He remains our God through it all. Wow! We have it soo good! So, James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. It is our responsibility to take the first step.

When we do not know what to say in prayer, we should ask the Holy Spirit to help us. God tells us to humble ourselves. If we do this, He will lift us up and He will come close and we will find our experience getting richer and fuller each day. You did good by just getting down on your knees and being thankful. That was the nicest pray you could have said that day. I guarantee you it was much better than not saying anything at all. So let your long prayers and your short prayers be a 'sweet' sound in His ear!

It's so important for His children to remain prayerful and spend time studying His Word. The Word itself will overwhelm your spirit in such a way, I guarantee you, you will never ever feel a disconnect again. I know for myself, I have to draw away from the T.V and this computer :wallbash: and redeem that idle time, giving myself over to God and earnestly seeking Him.

It's almost being in a relationship. In order to know, grow and love someone, you must spend time with that individual. You wonder, talk, ask questions, etc. However, a relationship with God is so much easier because He has already expressed His love for us.

When I feel a little down at times, I pray to God to restore the joy of my salvation and bring me peace...fill me with His Holy Spirit. Then, I begin to smile......:grin:

Last edited: