going away for school,or just going back to school? here are some tips.

africanqueen456

This is for those who are going back to school and especially for those new dormers (I was one last year:rolleyes:)...I just wanted to give some tips for those going back to school

* do long term protective styles(such as braids or sew ins) to make life easier
*stock up on d.c.s ,leave ins and protein treatments to make life easier
*organize your hair accessories,pins,and other hair products for easy access:grin:
* have a sound regimen

some youtube vids for aid(buildable beauty has GREAT tips)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lb6lTqbrLA
http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildableBeauty#p/u/9/NMpLF0TbUtk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnx0OHcHeg&feature=related

lovelexi

I agree with buildable beauty...stock up! Get all your essentials before you go off to school. Of course my trip would not be complete without forgetting to pack something. I forgot my aphogee 2 step and fine tooth comb. My college is in a urban neighborhood but still! lol
Also determine how many times you will wash your hair in a week and how long the process will take. Then work this into your class/social/work schedule.
And to add to OP..organization is key. I got a cute box from marshalls to keep my rollers in for only $3.99. Target also has those mini storage bins for pins, scrunchies, etc.

KurlyNinja

Yes! Good Thread! Also find out if there are girls at your school who do kinky twists and such. I met a girl last year who's kinky twist looked SO GOOD! She told me she did them herself and for only $75 she could do mine! Plus don't rely on others when it comes to hair products and styling tools. They may not always want you in there things!

FRESHstart101

NICE POST ! I leave fore school on the 5th (this Sunday) & im getting my
braids done a little by little all this week. I plan on leaving them in for 3
months. taking them out one by one if they need to be done. how should
the DC process go ? I don't want to do it too often & get build up.

30something

Good advice from the 2nd video

I notice women can get a bit annoyed when you are in the shower for a long time or get annoyed by you hoping in and out of shower, even if your dorming situation has more then one shower stall. I think a good way to cut down the wash day process is to DC on dry hair. DC > Shampoo scalp > quick condition (if needed). You can always wash in the laundry room sink. Also a hair drain catcher is a good idea.. you don't want anyone blaming anything on you.

Don't try to accumulate too much of a big stash ... because your going to have to bring ALL of that back home at the end

Gigi-07

ITA about the braids.
Many campuses are terrible when it comes to water quality. A lot of them have hard water. Many girls' hair breaks and/or begins looking gross after a while. If you insist on wearing your hair out, invest in a good chelating shampoo. Otherwise, braids (and sometimes weaves depending on the kind you get) are the best option IMO. I learned this the hard way! lol.

africanqueen456

Ihave a girl who briads our hair for 50 bucks!!!lol def make friends and see if someone can do your hair. couldnt find much for our hair on youtube sorry...