Going natural and permed hair is shedding

inthestars

Is this normal? I am going natural and my permed hair is drying up and falling out, even though I keep it conditioned..

pebbles

Are you gradually trimming the permed hair away? I think that the more your hair grows out the more it will shed if you don't also trim the permed section. The 2 hairs are not the same anymore and the area where they meet will weaken and break away eventually. Years ago when I was growing out my perm, the same thing happened to me despite the fact that I had my hair in braids. They fell out anyway. My hairdresser told me that I would have to trim the permed section away eventually. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SVT

I think that's what happened to me. The shed hairs must have been the result of breakage between two textures.

VALLEYGIRL

The 2 hairs are not the same anymore and the area where they meet will weaken and break away eventually

Very true...try and reduce the way you manipulate your hair as much as possible. I used a lot of curl activator when I was transitioning. It moisturized very well. Also use a leave in conditioner that gives lots of slip. I just used Pantene conditioner as a leave in b/c it is heavy and weighed my hair down and detangled well...but you may have another favorite you may wish to use.

How are you styling your hair? Are you combing a lot?

I had major tangles when I was transitioning more so than dryness.

inthestars

I work from home, so I keep my hair wrapped up. I am just surprised at how the permed hair now looks, it makes me realize that relaxer creams must be extremely toxic, the permed hair is dead and lifeless! My natural hair feels and looks great, I haven't had my hair natural since I was 2! My natural hair is only a half inch, I want to have a few inches before I get rid of the permed hair..

Nina_S

I agree with Valleygirl - curl activator is a life saver. I use the S-Curl No Drip and I pay close attention to the new growth (natural hair) and the area where the old and the new meets.

Nina