Going to Africa Need TIPS!!

YummyC

I don't know the climate or conditions you'll be in, but I don't know why there should necessarily be something so different about being in Africa. I was in Zimbabwe for 5 months, most of the time I wore braids with extensions and cornrows. I was in South Africa for 3 months, most of the time I wore an afro puff or twists. I really don't know what being in Africa has to do with anything. Maybe if you said you're going some place humid, or some place dry, or some place where you won't have time to do your hair, or some place in the countryside with no running water (i've washed with a bucket and cups of water, no biggie), maybe there'd be some advice more specific to your situation, but Africa is a big place with lots of different environments. Hope I don't come off as sounding mean.

ummm, I hadn't found out what specific part of Africa I was going to when I wrote this post. I now know that I going to Djibouti and I was just hoping that some of the ladies could share their experiences. Thanks for you input mwedzi.

YummyC

What country are you going to? I'm from Kenya in East Africa. Perhaps if you're more specific, people from that country can be more precise about where you could have your hair done if you do not want to get it braided. But braiding doesn't have to be w/ extensions--which I'm guessing might've been what you didn't like(?). And if you were going to Kenya, I could recommend the stylist who's braided our hair (the ladies in my family) from when my sister was a toddler. She's ever so gentle and so good at what she does that you will not be sorry you went to her. She's very creative too. I used to ask her to cornrow my hair in a style that's never been done and she'd always impress me. And I believe she will listen to your direction as far as what products you want used. Because I didn't know as much about hair as I do now, I'd say go to her after washing and conditioning, ie ready to get your hair braided--since I don't know if she follows LHCF rules in her washing and conditioning as I haven't been to her in ages.

As far as getting touch-ups are concerned, if you're relaxed, I'd need time to find out where you should go. You might just carry your relaxer kit w/ you to be on the safe side, if it isn't one of the ones that have been around for ages. Oh wait, I don't even know what country in East Africa you're going to....

They told me yesterday.. I'm going to Djibouti!!! Have you been there?

mscocoface

I'm going to Djibouti in North East Africa. Anyone been there before?
I checked the weather today and it said it was 111deg F so I know its going to be bad in Jult Aug time frame. I spent a year in Iraq's heat so I'll survive this one too. My hair suffered in Iraq though and I don't want that to happen this time.

The braids sound so tempting but I can't do it. My edges are just back to normal and I still remember how ugly I felt when I had no edges because of tight braids.

I'm looking forward to the trip though :)

I planning on taking my staple con and poo as well as my UBH leave in. Any other suggesstions on a leave in? I plan on wearing phony ponies over a baggy, and maybe plaits that are tucked under.

I'll start looking for a couple of hats and cute scarves to take with me too. Thanks laides :)

Just some ideas.

I can't do braids or twists in the front of my head so I do cornrows and flat twists in the front and then do braids or twists everywhere else. (check out my fotki for the style)

If you get a change buy some girlfriends (3/4 wigs) short or shoulder length ones so after you get out of the braids you can go into another protective style.

I would invest in some of those hair zings also.

These three options should get you through the 6 months without having to sacrifice your edges.

Have fun and a safe journey! :yep:

YummyC

i would rather say that due to the humid climate and hot weather u gonna experience one of those growth spurts. no matter what i do to the hair, i sweat the whole month i m there, so i tend to rinse my hair often even though water is scarce but as it is spring water its way better for the hair than the water in europe and the states full of calcium. its been a long time i had such a growth spurt. i hadnt been in africa for 15years.. i went back to my native country but hot hot hot. cornrows is a good choice but i rather just do a ponytail, or a braid you dont want bulkiness, be able to rinse the hair as you see fit just do a bun cause hair will make you hot and mostly enjoy your trip girl. if i were u i would just bring shampoo, conditionner, scarves to cover your hair bun and it s a great fashion statement, hats, comfortable sunny dresses, shorts tank tops a shawl if it s get cooler, or restaurants and serums serums serums for the hair that s basically all u need oh and sandals and voilaaaaaa. you could always get cornrows over there it s dirt cheaper and enjoyyyyyyy

Thanks ekomba :)
I'll be in Djibouti and I am really excited about it. I'll definitely start looking for cute scarves and hats and a really comfy sandal. I don't want to pack too much.

Soliel185

Where can I find the vegetable glycerine and the aloe vera?

You can purchase both at a health food store, or a place like GNC or vitacost. I used dietary grade Aloe Vera, and some people drink it as a health tonic so it's not terribly hard to find. I've seen vegetable glycerine at Walgreens/CVS so just keep your eyes open. If you can't find them locally, you could always do a search on Amazon - I like that website b/c you can get the prices from multiple retailers at once.

I think lotioncrafters.com sells both of them as well. Good luck!

Blaque*Angel

Have a great time.

My DH's family from Kenya/Uganda have the most amazing hair, they use natural products and wash very often.

good luck