Going to the Beach... What does this mean for my hair?

Abby

I'm going to the beach for a week? I'm curious, anyone know what the effects of the ocean water will be on my hair? Drying? Any suggestions for protecting my natural 4a/b hair?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated :)

Cheleigh

The ocean water is usually good for natural hair. It's the chlorinated water that's the problem. When I last went to the beach (Atlantic Ocean, I think), I just got my hair wet in the ocean and then did a CW afterward. My hair felt great after being in the salt water.

Some people wet their hair and coat it with conditioner first, then hit the water. I don't think it's really necessarily if you're not going into chlorinated water, but it doesn't hurt.

balisi

When I go to the beach, I prefer to have my hair braided so that it doesn't get in my way when I'm in the water, or blow all over the place if it's breezy. I wear a beach hat to protect my hair and face from the hot sun, even while underneath my beach umbrella. If you're going to wear a puff or some other loose style, pack some conditioner in your beach bag to apply periodically or after you rinse off.

mermaid

What beach are you going to?
I just got back from Maui last week and I had decided to flat iron my hair before going down there and just not deal with it, well, there was just enough humidity there to make my hair slowly and sneakily swell.
I had brought my iron for touch ups, but it was hopeless, I could not get the frizz to obey and gave up and just washed it and wore it like I always do; naturally curly in a ponytail. the last day was the nicest day with much lower humidity and no wind (did I mention most of the time there was windy as well??? Yep. Swelling hair getting blown around.), so I had pulled the top into a pony and let the back hang free.
I wished I had thrown it in some french braids or even some corn rows in the front and singles in the back. Woulda saved me time and frusteration.:ohwell:
Oh yeah, I never went in the water at all- no ocean, no pool.