Good, Large, Seamless Paddle Brush?

renee_n_3000

Hi, everyone! I am very frustrated and would love it if someone could point me in the right direction. :) I am looking for:

1) A large paddle brush with plastic/nylon pins that do not have seams on them. Or...

2) A large boar bristle paddle brush or boar bristle/nylon combination brush that actually penetrates through to my scalp when I use it, instead of just brushing the outermost top layer of my hair. Of course, the nylon pins should be seamless.

For many years now, a paddle brush has been an integral part of haircare for me. They are invaluable in smoothing the hair and massaging the scalp with just a few, quick strokes.

Ever since I learned that seams on combs are bad, which was several years ago, I have been careful to only use seamless combs. The crazy thing is, it never even occurred to me that that the bristles of a brush might have seams, too! That is, until a few weeks ago when I looked at my beloved Scunchi paddle brush and saw that, indeed, each plastic "bristle" had a very distinct seam on it and a "ridged" feeling when I ran my fingers along them. So of course I tossed it aside thinking I could easily buy another paddle brush, by another brand, that did not have seams. How hard could it be to find that, right? Thus began my search.

When I couldn't find one at my regular beauty supply shops, I went to Sally's. Many of you ladies have raved about the Denman plastic/nylon bristle brushes that they carry (the D3, etc.). I figured Denman must make excellent paddle brushes, too. But lo and behold, their plastic paddle brush has seams along each of the bristles! :( (I noticed that some of their other brushes, that many members have raved about here, are seamless.)

I spotted a Jilbere nylon/boar bristle combination brush, similar to the horrendously expensive model made by Mason Pearson, which that company claims is the best choice for long, thick hair. This Jilbere brush has a nice look to it and seemed to be well-made. The nylon pins that extend from the center of the boar bristles do not have seams. So I bought it. This was a big mistake because, like any other boar bristle brush I have ever tried, it only brushes the very top layer of my hair, rendering it useless.

What is the point of making a brush that only brushes the outermost layers of hair? I would love it if someone could explain that to me! I cannot understand it! I guess that these boar bristle brushes must be doing someone, somewhere some good and penetrating through to their scalps. But on me, that just does not happen! :ohwell:

I have thick, full hair which has never been difficult to brush with 'regular' plastic/nylon brushes (I don't use the word "thick" as being synonymous with "hard to handle"). But for whatever reason, boar bristle brushes are just a joke on my hair. It seems to me that the problem is that the makers of these brushes bunch a large amount of very soft boar bristles together in big 'clumps,' so that they cannot possible penetrate through to the scalp. Maybe if the bristles were stiffer, and spaced out one by one like the bristles on plastic/nylon brushes are, they would work better.

So, if anyone has any recommendations for either of the types of brushes I described above, especially if you have hair similar to mine, I would be very grateful. It has been a few weeks since I have brushed my hair properly (through to the scalp), and I am starting to get a bit cranky over that, as you can see. :lol: My comb just doesn't provide the same feeling and distribution of natural oils to my scalp that a good paddle brush does.

Last edited:

lexi08

You could try the Aveda large paddle brush. I have had mine for several years and its great! You can find it at any Aveda store or go to www.aveda.com. I paid about $15 for mine.

renee_n_3000

nikki1971 said:
You could try the Aveda large paddle brush. I have had mine for several years and its great! You can find it at any Aveda store or go to www.aveda.com. I paid about $15 for mine.

Thank you for the recommendation and for providing the link as well! The paddle brush there looks great, so I am going to visit the salon I located with their 'finder' to see it in person.

I must be crazy because when I saw the brush on the Aveda site, I remembered that I have a paddle brush with a wooden handle that I have ignored for a couple of years. I just found it and it is seamless! The 'bristles' are also made of wood. It came as part of a bath set and has no brand name on it, so I must have thought it wasn't of good quality and set it aside. :look: I can't wait to test it out later today (my hair is in a French twist right now).

From what I can see online, though, I still might like the plastic (?) bristles of the Aveda one better. They look 'stiffer' than the brush I just found.

Last edited:

renee_n_3000

simplycee said:
Have you tried the Denman (sp?) brushes? They are sold at Sally's.

The Denman paddle brush I found there had seams, but the Sally's I went to does not carry their whole line of brushes and combs. So, I wonder if they might make a seamless one that's sold elsewhere. I might call the company and ask. :)