Good stylist or bad stylist?

CourtneyD

Help! I had my hair touched up on Tuesday. It was nine weeks post relaxer. I've been going to this woman since January. Since I've never paid attention to my hair until I joined the forum, I thought she was doing an okay job. and my hair was indeed growing. But the last time I went, I felt my hair was underprocessed- I couldn't do anything with it after washing (kinky roots) and since I'm trying to stay away from heat, I bought a wig. Anyway, I went in and told her about my underprocessed possibility, she said she always uses mild relaxers and didn't think it was underprocessed but nevertheless she suggested I bump up my relaxer from mild to regular. She based me down good and sprayed my previously relaxed hair with something. Then she relaxed the ng AND the rest of my previously relaxed hair. She "commented" that if my hair was underprocessed, it would be coming out in the comb and it wasn't. In the final five minutes she SCRUBBED the relaxer (Optimum) into my scalp (that's the only way I can describe it). This can't be right, right? She washed and rinsed me out thoroughly and even let the neutralizing conditioner sit five minutes. My hair was wrapped (my request) and I sat under the dryer. My hair result was super straight, super fine and super flat. I looked practically bald. I hated it.

What do you ladies think about this procedure? She wasn't rude to me and I think she was trying to ensure my hair was straight (although I didn't want bone straight), but now what do I do before my next touchup? I don't lose any hair. I am doing the MT/OCT challenge - started in April and got 3/4 of an inch of ng. I am so afraid my hair has been beat up and it will break.:wallbash:

I think I will re-read the posts on self-relaxing. I can't seem to find a stylist in Boston that follows all the LHCF guidelines (i.e., no relaxer on new growth, pre-treat pre-relaxed hair before applying relaxer, pre rinse treatment, no combing through relaxer, etc.), and since I am a newbie, not sure if I'm just being difficult to please.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, etc!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^^^^^^^Exactly how "soon" did you go back and Allow Her to Re-Relax your Hair? I hope you waited a reasonable amount of time?

And exactly what do you mean: "She scrubbed it in" Please Describe? Also, it sounds like you said she relaxed your hair which was previously relaxed? So she re-relaxed your entire head to the ends:nono:

There are so many things wrong with this from what I've read. I hope you realize it. And are not planning to return to her.

To be on the Safe Side: I would definitely neutralize my hair again, apply a light protein and Deep Condition it. And Pray:yep:

Last edited:

TrendySocialite

I'm sorry you had a questionable experience...here are a few of my observations based on your post.

Wet wrapping does make your hair look flat IMO. Roller wrapping creates the body and volume.

I think it's important to know what's being done with your hair, so if she sprayed it with something and you didn't know what it was, stop her and ask. Also if you didn't want you hair bone straight, then another style other than wet wrapping would have been best IMO.

I think you could have a better experience if you read these boards, find a style and talk to her about how you would like your hair to look once you leave.

There are times where I've been in the salon and didn't necessarily know what to do to get the style, but knew that I wanted more volume, more curl, more bounce, etc. So that's what I told the stylist. Based on that they knew what size roller to use and how to style my hair afterwards (but I had really good stylists).

Maybe you can rollerset and get some bounce and body into your hair.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Wow, she scrubbed the relaxer in? :eek:

It seems like she was just trying to be thorough and make you happy but DAMN!

Definitely start using a weekly mild reconstructor weekly. Tigi Dumb Blonde is a good one

Don't be afraid to speak up to your stylist! You paying HER, so she needs to listen to your request. She seems like a very nice woman who wants to make her customers happy, so I think she'd be open to hearing your requests

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
hmmm... doesn't sound good--applying the relaxer all the way through :(

Also, her comment about your hair would be coming out if it were underprocessed is not necessarily true. If your hair is in good condition, it can withstand lots of things. AND, I have had underprocessed hair before that wasn't coming out.

CourtneyD

^^^^^^^^^Exactly how "soon" did you go back and Allow Her to Re-Relax your Hair? I hope you waited a reasonable amount of time? It was 9 weeks since my last touch-up. Because of the megatek I couldn't hold out much longer. She was only supposed to do the new growth but when I finally was able to look in the mirror my whole head was done.

And exactly what do you mean: "She scrubbed it in" Please Describe? Also, it sounds like you said she relaxed your hair which was previously relaxed? So she re-relaxed your entire head to the ends:nono:

SCRUBBED it means that after it was all in, she smoothed it AND then massaged the relaxer into my ng/scalp, like you might do a shampoo. Yes, she re-relaxed my entire head to the ends.

There are so many things wrong with this from what I've read. I hope you realize it. And are not planning to return to her.
(Yeah, I'm done. Gonna try self relaxing, but with a conditioner first, to practice.)

To be on the Safe Side: I would definitely neutralize my hair again, apply a light protein and Deep Condition it. And Pray:yep:

(Thanks everyone. I feel so bad that I am so naive about this but I promised not to beat myself up and learn from my errors. You guys have been great!):yep:

CourtneyD

Definitely start using a weekly mild reconstructor weekly. Tigi Dumb Blonde is a good one

Don't be afraid to speak up to your stylist! You paying HER, so she needs to listen to your request. She seems like a very nice woman who wants to make her customers happy, so I think she'd be open to hearing your requests

You are right. I am paying for it. I see all my errors and wish I could do the day all over again. Funny, though, I went in, telling myself, I WILL tell her if I'm not happy about her procedures, but I choked!:blush: On the mild reconstructor comment: what do you suggest? I bought the Aphogee 2 min. but I read that I shouldn't use this if I am using Megatek or Ovation.

Thanks so much!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
(Thanks everyone. I feel so bad that I am so naive about this but I promised not to beat myself up and learn from my errors. You guys have been great!):yep:

WOW! I am sooo sorry this happened to you. In November of '08 I was "severely" Overprocessed at a Salon that I had been a weekly Customer for 4-5 Years. By Jan '09 over 90% of my Hair fell out/broke off all the way to the NG. Now, after joining this Forum I realize I was overprocessed and more than likely improperly neturalized.

I too, placed the care of my hair in the hands of a Stylist, because I thought she was the "Professional" and knew what was best for My Hair.:wallbash: To this day, I still have not heard from her.:perplexed It has been a very traumatic emotional experience but it has definitely taught me: Never place the Care of Your Hair or anything else for that matter, in the hands of someone else. Please take good care of your hair and treat it to alot of TLC.

CourtneyD

Thank you for sharing that. I guess we all have our stories. Honestly, this is the first time in my life that I am paying attention to MY hair. I just thought I had hair that didn't grow but I know that to be untrue now. I am so thankful that I stumbled on this forum because I truly believe that it will save my hair. Thanks for everything!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You are right. I am paying for it. I see all my errors and wish I could do the day all over again. Funny, though, I went in, telling myself, I WILL tell her if I'm not happy about her procedures, but I choked!:blush: On the mild reconstructor comment: what do you suggest? I bought the Aphogee 2 min. but I read that I shouldn't use this if I am using Megatek or Ovation.

Thanks so much!

How Often do you plan on using it? I am also using Mega-Tek, but I also use a Protein Conditioning Treatment a week before and a week after Self-Relaxing. Memorial Day weekend, will be my 2nd attempt at: Self-Relaxing. Based on the reviews from the Ladies here -- I think the Aphogee 2 minute is a good mild reconstructor (although I've never tried it).

I personally have: the Joico K-Pak, Nexxus Keraphix, ORS Replenishing Pak, Tigi Dumb Blonde, Giovanni Nutra-Fix, Sebastians Penetraitt, Treasures Pefect Blend, Millenia Mud Mask Reconstructor, Aubrey Organics GPB to name a few.

LushLox

'Scrubbing the relaxer in your hair.' How did your scalp feel after that? Seriously, it must have felt so uncomfortable? :nono:

and what is "She "commented" that if my hair was underprocessed it would be coming out in the comb." What kind of backwards mess is that? I would much rather be underprocessed than overprocessed!

I'll just echo the good advice you've received already in respect of regular mild protein treatments, following up with a good moisture DC.

Don't feel bad about it; there are so many of us that have similar or worse stories to tell I can assure you. The most important thing is to ensure you learn something from it. :)

locabouthair

It seems like she was trying to get your hair as straight as possible because you said it was underprocessed. I think she wanted to make you happy but she went about it the wrong way.

hmmm... doesn't sound good--applying the relaxer all the way through :(

Also, her comment about your hair would be coming out if it were underprocessed is not necessarily true. If your hair is in good condition, it can withstand lots of things. AND, I have had underprocessed hair before that wasn't coming out.

I agree..

She definitely shouldnt be scrubbing the relaxer into your scalp though:nono:

Try to do weekly DC and see how it goes..