Gospel Album Covers Gone Bad: You be the judge (Oops! Is that Allowed? Hmph!)

PaperClip

Interesting article from a gospel music website:

http://www.prayzehymnonline.com/articles_worstalbumcoversever.html

HAVE YOU EVER SCROLLED through the gospel section at your favorite record store and actually had to do a double take on an album cover? And not because of its goregous layout, but for the opposite...because of tasteless color schemes, bad photography, cheesy Photoshop homework and tired fonts. You would have thought that over the years, with greater technology and better resources, we would have perfected the process of developing quality album covers. Well, in some cases, it’s gotten worse.
With gospel music ever exploding to become one of the fastest growing music genres of our time, it is very important to learn that “to whom much is given, much is required.” Pumping out assembly-line music is one thing, but putting out just any kind of image on a CD to market the music is another.

We hope that from this post of twenty bad ideas, people will learn on what mistakes to avoid when approving their future album cover. Boys and girls, don’t make these mistakes at home.
1) BeBe Winans Cherch (Koch)
Okay, the red color background and black font lettering may have been a wake-up call, but the idea of etching a line through the “u” in Church to prove a point in ghetto urban vocabulary breaks the camel’s back. The airbrushed photo of Bebe Winans in a suit doesn’t really help much. After a wonderful and groundbreaking career on Capitol and Atlantic Records, while also giving the gospel market quality music, we would have expected a better performance on the album art.

2) Cynthia Jones Soulology (Kingdom)
Good graphic design on the right, bad photography on the left. Another important lesson to learn from. And here’s the moral: Just because the colors match up - that doesn’t mean it’s okay to bring the best and worst of both world together. Maybe the hair is the distraction.

3) Pastor Gregg Patrick & the Bridge Project (Tyscot)
If Tyscot couldn’t stand us before, they surely won’t like us now. If it’s too good to be true...then don’t believe it. We want to understand the idea of a man posing on a chair with a candle perched on an elegant iron holder facing him - in all places - on a railroad track. Not only is this idea dangerous, but it just doesn’t match up with the background glimpses of an overhead bridge over a sear of water Photoshoped in mid-air during a sunset. It’s just a good idea gone terribly wrong. And why couldn’t they just rid the water stuck in mid-air over what should have been clouds. Everyone can tell this was two photos that were not corrected well in Photoshop.

4) Kierra KiKi Sheard This Is Me (EMI Gospel)
“This is me” may have been the statement, but the album cover says “you don’t wanna know me.” It’s a depressing and emotionless Kierra Sheard gracing the cover in what appears to be raindrops or wet marks alteringthe image. Unfortunately, it looks haunting and very eerie.

5) Kurt Carr One Church (GospoCentric)
There’s nothing terribly wrong with wearing leather, but it can be a problem when you have the word “one church “ ascribed below a picture of Kurt Carr wearing leather. And you almost miss the biggest mistake of it all: the Kodak-envisioned inserts of miniature photos featuring people of different races and ages stacked into the lettering of “one church.” Close up and afar off, you barely can make out the words. That is actually the agonizing heartache of this album cover. If you’re going to tamper with the imagery your album art, make sure your album title is readable.

6) VIP Mass Choir Live at the Fellowship (Verity)
The album art here looks like a pile of blue graffiti over a hymn book. And with the wrong choice of fonts, the visuals of this album cover are enough to question if the label even cares about the VIP projects. Let’s be honest here, the last time we witnessed a cutesy album cover on the John P. Kee’s VIP projects was on 1998's Any Day.

7) LaShun Pace I Know I’ve Been Changed (602)
While it features most of LaShun Pace’s big hits on the Savoy label and is meant to be a budget-priced, I Know I’ve Been Changed looks more like a visual natural disaster. And while most of the 601 projects (a small subsidiary of Malaco Records) try their best not to put big money into the packaging of their releases, an album packing Pace’s giant numbers deserves a bit more TLC than what was presented.

8) Bishop Paul S. Morton Crescent City Fire (GospoCentric)
Okay, follow along. A pastor sporting all black with shades, hat and a gangster look doesn’t work well with gospel.

9) Darwin Hobbs Broken (EMI Gospel)
Make no mistake about it, Darwin Hobbs’ voice is pure, golden and very hard to not compare with the legendary R&B crooner Luther Vandross. But it’s been very hard for Hobbs to present a satisfying album cover. Worshiper is probably the most agonizing with its bad choice of fonts (and small at that) and the huge face picture. My goodness, does the face have to cover the entire album cover.

10) Pilgrim Jubilees Jesus Got Me Off (Malaco)
It’s kinda funny looking at it, but is it supposed to be funny? The Pilgrim Jubilees are posed in front of a measuring lines in what appears to be a prison and the legendary gents are dressed in their comfortable church gear. And the big letters of “Jesus got me off” doesn’t help matters. The idea of a song proclaiming God’s delivering power from Satan’s captivity should definitely minister, but the album cover just doesn’t match the seriousness of such a title. That’s another point to try t avoid - don’t turn a serious situation into a comical cartoon.

11) Monique Walker My Genesis (Anointed Sounds)
Longtime vocalist with Hezekiah Walker’s Love Fellowship Crusade Choir, Monique Walker released her debut project, My Genesis, to the world this year. Unfortunately the album cover looks like it’s still in its genesis as well. Bad choice of fonts, wrong colors and the wrong photo butchers up what could have been a worthy first impression for those unfamiliar to her. By the way, it’s another Olan Mills-looking glamor head shot.

12) Holla The Best of Trin-i-tee 5:7 (GospoCentric)
With super hits like “God’s Grace,” “There He Is” and “Put Your Hands” under their belt, Trin-i-tee 5:7 deserved a better layout on their 2007 greatest hits compilation that what they got. Where do we begin? Wrong choice of wardrobe, characterless Word Clip-Art fonts and the girls are cropped in mid-air with glimmers of comic-book-like action glued to the back. There’s no mistaken that this has to be one of the dreadful albums covers lately.

13) Erick Matthews Life Captured (Avista)
Sometimes being an independent sucks. In Erick Matthews case, it’s been quite difficult. The singer, first discovered by John P. Kee, released the independent-supported Life Captured this year and looks a bit awkward. First the choice of a wood design as a background isn’t that catchy on the eyes. Secondly, Matthews’ hand stretched towards the camera like a superhero doesn’t look so fancy. And to top it off, bad-looking fonts and a hard-to-read album title are also in place.

14) Virtue Testimony (Darkchild Gospel/Integrity)
Using a 3-D prism look or maybe going a Tiffany stain glass design, Virtue lands one of the awkward album cover designs in modern contemporary gospel on 2006's Testimony. What’s more amazing is know that the album features a chunkful of Rodney Jerkins production on it. With that kind of support, it probably needed a big, bold album cover to match the heavyweight action on the project.

15) Yolanda Adams Day by Day (Atlantic)
This is not a bad cover to look at; just hard to explain. There’s no image at all of Yolanda Adams on the front cover. Just a living room sofa featuring an empty sofa, but no sign of Yolanda in sight.

16) 21:03 Total Attention (Verity)
Looks like the a similar box idea used on the Brady Bunch theme song. It’s not the worse, but the young teeny-boppers deserved something a little more hipper than this.

17) Sounds of Blackness The Night Before Christmas II (Atomic K)
What looks like a super extravagant Dreamgirls production graces the album cover of the Sounds of Blackness’ second volume of The Night Before Christmas. But the imagery has no connection to the holidays whatsoever and doesn’t even resemble what most conjure when thinking of the GRAMMY-award winning group.

18) New Direction Rain (GospoCentric)
An album cover that simply depresses. The colors, cheesy graphics, bad choice of fonts are all signs of bad judgement and poor taste.

19) Neal Roberson My Story, My Testimony (Blackberry)
Why are we on the coast of a beach and dressed in church gear? It just doesn’t add up.

20) Patti LaBelle The Gospel According to Patti LaBelle (Umbrella)
Even though she looks stunning to be 64, the wedding gown and simple cursive fonts and its placement looks like the wrong choice of theme for Labelle’s first gospel project. How about a picture of LaBelle standing in a church. Anything but a simple cover art like this.

Since we posted this article, we have been getting alot of feedback on albums we failed to mention. So you know we had to post them...

Rest of article at link above....

kayte

HAVE YOU EVER SCROLLED through the gospel section at your favorite record store and actually had to do a double take on a " useless critique? because of tasteless comments, bad judgements
Cheesy non Christian gossip and tired jealous folk. You would have thought that over the years, with greater compassion and better resources, we would have perfected the process of developing quality support of our gifted talented hardworking gospel singers who need our love as they spread The Word. Well, in some cases, it’s gotten worse..the gossipping and criticizing.

We hope that from this post of people will learn on what mistakes to avoid when reading petty jealousies disguised as useless criticism.
Boys and girls, don’t make these mistakes at home....remember charity(love)....and peace begins ..with you

1..etching a line through the “u” in Church
Poetic license....geez loueeze...
2. Just because the colors match up - that doesn’t mean it’s okay to bring the best and worst of both world..
the correct word is worlds plural..
... um....didn't you just comment on someone else's use of the english language...remember the glass house,my sister..before you gather more stones.
Maybe the hair is the distraction.
Maybe her hair is none of your business and then there would be no distraction.
3 We want to understand the idea of a man posing on a chair with a candle perched on an elegant iron holder facing him - in all places - on a railroad track.
Now... that is a lie..you don't want to understand at all..you fool no one least of all God
4.“This is me” may have been the statement, but the album cover says “you don’t wanna know me.”
no,the album cover does NOT say that...you are saying this...
I believe this is called a projection....
5.That is actually the agonizing heartache of this album cover.
agonizing?? heartache?? if he couldn't sing ..THAT would qualify.
aren't you overembellishing a bit
6 Let’s be honest here.
By all means let's..I don't think you can
7 I Know I’ve Been Changed looks more like a visual natural disaster.
It features a smiling picture of the recording artist!
8 Okay, follow along. A pastor sporting all black with shades, hat and a gangster look doesn’t work well with gospel.
That's right! After all, Jesus refuses to minister to anyone who wears a fedora,sunglasses,dapper suit...pastors included
and he probably isn't even singing gospel..that must be what you mean
by the way..glad you are not Jesus
11.My goodness, does the face have to cover the entire album cover.
:wallbash:
12The idea of a song proclaiming God’s delivering power from Satan’s captivity should definitely minister,
I agree....and my guess is... is that it does...too bad..you're missing that
by crying wolf about something else
13Sometimes being an independent sucks.
Always being a bad critic sucks
14 Wrong choice of wardrobe,
see number 8
14 Using a 3-D prism look or maybe going a Tiffany stain glass design, Virtue lands one of the awkward album cover designs in modern contemporary gospel on 2006's Testimony.
sigh......:nono:
15Just a living room sofa featuring an empty sofa, but no sign of Yolanda in sight.
I'm going to guess...she reaapears as the vocalist!... or is that mssing too?

16 but the young teeny-boppers deserved something a little more hipper than this.
do you know what hip even is:nono:

17But the imagery has no connection to the holidays whatsoever
h...lok again...or maye a pair of good reading glasses
18An album cover that simply depresses.
Maybe it's not the album
19Why are we on the coast of a beach and dressed in church gear? It just doesn’t add up.yep..it does!
a. destination wedding
b talk alone with God after Church
c. taking a walk after services
20Even though she looks stunning to be 64, the wedding gown and simple cursive fonts and its placement looks like the wrong choice of theme for Labelle’s first gospel project.
How true...Everyone knows 64 year olds do not marrry..
but even so the blible and hymnns makes plenty reference to being a bride of Christ and no where does it ..qualify that...with age

Since we posted this article, we have been getting alot of feedback on albums we failed to mention. Does that mean ..the majority is...right?
So you know we had to post them...

No you didn't have to do anything..you chose to release this vitriol.
Nothing wrong with a thoughtful critique...
these criticisms however, are shallow..petty meanspirited..where is the Christianity?
Be warned God cannot be mocked

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Kayte are you responding to the OP or to the article?

It sounds like you are responding to the OP. I am looking for clarity here.

kayte

Kayte are you responding to the OP or to the article?
It sounds like you are responding to the OP. I am looking for clarity here.

Right. :ohwell: I clicked on the link just to be sure.
All I can is wow...

Yeah me too. Those weren't Foxy's words. She copied it verbatim from another source. Right??

I am an admirer of Foxy Scholar..and I treasure her opinions...she's helped me tremendously....privately as well as publicly....
so...No....I am absolutely not addressing Foxy Scholar ....
and I am very very sorry that somehow that was communicated...
I think the world of her :) and I sure don't want her to think any
different even if it appears we disagree completely on this article..but I don't know if we do ....or exactly what her position is...
because..to clarify....
I responded to the article...NOT OP...

..you are reading my position on the article.....AND it's writer
the comments are adddressed directly to him/her
I was responding point by point to the article writer in the same fashion he/she did....and trying to illustrate by doing the same thing... criticizing ..that it shows how unfortunate imho...these choices were in such needless silly targeting of prominent singers of God..it seemed like the writer has a clear agenda..that being attempted to justify under the umbrella of a questionable critque.....

it upset me..and angered me...with all the power the writer has and
to do some good with words..chooses something quite different.
One can certainly have a contructive difference of opinion on aesthetics...but the way it was expressed in the article was just mean and unprofessional and I found it offensive...

I will copy my response..use the link Foxy Scholar posted as a means to
send this back to the writer in hopes of offering a different viewpoint..

I am so glad you spoke up..sincere apologies..about the impression
I gave....Again I am really really sorry if I hurt or upset anyone....
I do feel bad about that....

PaperClip

Hey, everybody... thanks for keeping the peace...it's all good in the Lord... it's all good, kayte!

Now about the article and the criticisms to the article.... The Gospel music genre in the 21st century is putting itself a serious catch-22.... The genre is supposed to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ... but uses (or parallels itself) with "worldly" means and strategies and sounds, even, to promote/sell itself. Album covers...book covers... DVD covers...movie trailers...videos...gospe; music videos... are all a part of selling the product and, therefore, are open to such criticisms.

Such criticisms come with the marketplace, and gospel music, if it wants to play in the big "wordly" leagues, then the gospel music industry and its supporters had better toughen up....

I think this dialogue is healthy (not just here on LHCF, but all around) and kayte's criticisms matter and hopefully she will share them with the author of the article.