Gotta Love Hair Grease

Pumpkin

I kow I know! Hair grease containing mineral oil and petroleum is bad for your scalp because it clogs pores and stumps hair growth. However, how bad can it be for the actual hair strands?

I decided to buy hair grease (the new Optimum light one) and see what it would do for my hair. Prior to this my poor hair was suffering from the harsh dry cold weather and breaking off and shedding severely. I tried using natural oils but they just made my strands feel hard. Enough was enough so I reverted back to my childhood and purchased some good ole hair grease and I am lovin it! My hair feels so soft, looks so shiny and smells so good. Most importantly, it is not coming off as much.

So here is my theory. A LITE hair grease is okay just as long as you don't slab it onto your scalp. A little around the edges and ends is good enough. I also think mineral oil is not that bad for the hair. If you think about it, they say to use mineral oil during pregnancy to prevent stretching. I think this would also work for hair that if strechted too much would eventually break. Also I think the coating proects hair strands from the dryness associated with winter.

That's just my opinion.

ANaturalBrotha

I dont even think hair grease is bad for your scalp. I bought this African Pride blends-Chamomile & Mint Conditioner. Petrolatum is the first ingredient but its very light and its helping my flaking. I tried using all these products without Petroleum and they just made the flaking worst. The peppermint oil in it helps dry itchy scalp and Chamomile, Aloe and Vitamin E calms the scalp. You can feel the peppermint oil on your scalp it feels good. So i dont think these light petroleum/mineral oil apps. are that bad

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Guess what? My mother used Posner (Bergamont) hair grease on my hair until I was 12. She used it on my scalp and hair while growing up and my hair GREW! Matter of fact,my hair was longer,thicker,and healthier then than it is now. Unfortunately,I can't use any oil that contains mineral or petrolatum in it on my scalp now since I am older-talk about itching!!

debyjay

Oh yea I'm not knocking mineral oil any more -- no sir. I have been using Clairol Vitapointe for the past 2 weeks and my hair was loving it. I'm in braids now but will be back to my Vitapointe come March. And oh yea, I had the longest and thickest hair as a kid when my granny greased my scalp religiously with the thickest yukiest grease!

Karonica

Yuh know? I had a super thick, long hair as a child and my mother was greasing my hair AND scalp with..........VASELINE!

cutebajangirl

I put grease at the roots of my hair (as long as I can convince someone else to put it on for me) when I have a lot of new growth and it helps alot. This way some of course will get on my scalp but it won't get suffocated.

pookeylou

I was a hair grease FANATIC...unitl I tried beeswax...
Then I was a beeswax ZEALOT...until I tried Shea butter...
Now I am a Shea Butter UNCOMPRIMISING, EXTREMIST, MILITARY REVOLUTIONARY!!!!! My hair is softer than it has ever been in the history of my life...

Moral of the story is...if what you are using is working...stick with it...if not...be adventerous and try something new!

daviine

Pumpkin!

I could care less about the grease! I just popped my head in this thread to say Happy New Year and let you know that its nice to "see" you!

karezone

I can't use hair grease on my scalp anymore because the itching kills me but I do coat my ends sometime.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Norma15 said:
k
what kind of grease you using

[/ QUOTE ]

TCB Hair and Scalp Conditioner (the grease version, not the gel type with aloe).
It's lighter than most greases and practically melts to liquid if you rub it between your fingers.

Honey6928215

I'm using Isoplus Herbal Hair Food. It's kind of light but it has all kinds of herbal ingredients including the mineral oil. But it smells pretty good. I use it sparily so my hair won't dry out and shed. I hate that!

Also, I use Nature's Blessing hair pomade whenever I buy it.